Menu

Your favorite family vacation location?

We are thinking about surprising the kids with a vacation Christmas present. Yes, it's early to think about, but it came up as DH was trying to work out his vacation schedule. We would plan to leave on the morning of Dec 26 and return perhaps early in the day on Dec 31. Or later, if drive time requires.

Sooo... what's your favorite family destination? Or where do you dream of going? Of course we'll have a budget, but for now, let's pretend we don't!

At the moment we are thinking of a warm weather experience, but if something coldly intriguing pops up, we'll consider it. We're also looking for something that has activities to interest kids age 5 to 15.

I am excited to hear all your suggestions! I know this is a Well Traveled Hive!

Money no option favorite, or lets get of out this cold as cheaply as we can favorite?

Absolute fav- take the kids to Italy. Or Belize and go scuba and snorkeling and kayaking.

Get -warm -and -have- some- fun , money- is -an -option- favorite? Drive to FL. We once drove all the way to Key Largo to swim with dolphins. It was great and didn't cost nearly as much as Discovery Cove.

Do your kids like winter sports? Could you do an awesome somethng at a ski resort? Go snow tubing and have the kids take snowboard lessons? I hate the cold, but lots of people do not. lol

Cruise?

Edited by LibraryLover

Anywhere that's ocean-front. We went on a 4-day weekend trip to the Oregon Coast, and got a condo (so full kitchen, which with 3 children is a MUST! or else we'd be spending $$$ on food!) that was right on the ocean, with it's own private beach access. It was November, but we still kept the windows open so that we could hear the waves crashing against the rocks (the condo had a gas fireplace, so we kept that cranked up!) and walked down to the beach each evening to watch the sunset. There was a DVD player and a huge jetted tub that we used when we were there at the condo, and we were close to an aquarium, and a pier that had sealions, plus an outlet mall!

Smelling the salt air, and hearing the waves constantly for four days straight was absolutely heavenly.

Our favorite vacations right now at that time of year involve warmth!! We've done Disney and had a blast. We've also done cruises that were amazing!! I was pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive they were.

We've rented a condo in Orlando and done things there.

Right now we're saving and planning for our big European trip that includes one week in Rome (renting a condo), one week in Paris (renting a condo), two nights in Barcelona, and then a trans-atlantic cruise!!

My kids love water.

So we always look for sunshine and pools (water slides, lazy rivers are a plus).

Last year we did an amazing trip to Jamaica (that my kids still talk about).

We have done Florida and Europe.

This June we are heading to Las Vegas (hotel with pool and lazy river).

I think Vegas would be fun and different! The weather is always awesome...if you like it dry and hot, which I do. We were able to go to SD last yr purely on dh's hotel and air points.

Cruises are surprisingly not always insanely costly.

Trans-Atlantic crossing. :) Tell me QM. :) Was it a good bargain?

We were going to go to Europe this summer to meet our son, but he has changed his study abroad plans to Japan instead.

Make sure you post pix and lots of them!

Our favorite vacations right now at that time of year involve warmth!! We've done Disney and had a blast. We've also done cruises that were amazing!! I was pleasantly surprised at how inexpensive they were.

We've rented a condo in Orlando and done things there.

Right now we're saving and planning for our big European trip that includes one week in Rome (renting a condo), one week in Paris (renting a condo), two nights in Barcelona, and then a trans-atlantic cruise!!

My kids love Hawaii, but I'm not sure it's worth the trip for just 4 days. If you decide it is, consider Kauai if you like rural, Oahu if you prefer city life or want to see Pearl Harbor, The Big Island if you want to see an active volcano or go diving, or Maui if you prefer a cross between Oahu and Kauai.

For shorter trips... Florida also remains a favorite for us - either theme parks or the Keys.

My first choice for a family vacation is always Europe, but that would not be warm and sunny in December. Next choice would be an island in the Caribbean or Mexico at an all-inclusive resort. Third choice would be a cruise (never been on one, but mostly because dh doesn't think he would like it). My final choice and the cheapest (which means we will do it with some regularity) is Great Wolf Lodge. It is toast warm in the water park and the rooms. It is kid oriented (but doesn't forget that adults want a good meal, an adult beverage, and have fun) and you don't have to drive anywhere once you get there. The kids had a blast and (surprisingly) we did too.

I'm with Brigitte; I think Europe first. However, for less than a week, I wouldn't do the jet lag with kids. And then there's the warmth issue.

There's Disney (lots of fun and warm), but I'm not sure you could pay me to do WDW the week between Christmas and New Year's. I'm not so good with crowds.

Costa Rica is good for families. I'm not sure what the weather is like in December, but I'm guessing warm. Our trip to Costa Rica was a bit of a disaster, but that was kind of a fluke.

We've talked about Mexico, but we haven't done it yet with kids. (The call of France is too strong.:tongue_smilie:)

Cruises are surprisingly not always insanely costly.

Trans-Atlantic crossing. :) Tell me QM. :) Was it a good bargain?

We were going to go to Europe this summer to meet our son, but he has changed his study abroad plans to Japan instead.

Make sure you post pix and lots of them!

Bargain? We thought so! 14 nights, 6 people, ocean view room (aka not the cheapest room) - 7000!!! That's why we're booked on it!!!! It was REALLY cheap when you consider that it's entertainment, food, lodging, etc. for TWO weeks!!!!

I hope you get to travel to wherever your ds decides to go!!! We love to travel!!

There's Disney (lots of fun and warm), but I'm not sure you could pay me to do WDW the week between Christmas and New Year's. I'm not so good with crowds.

Yeah, I have to emphatically NOT recommend Disney between Christmas & New Year's, and I am one that will pick Disney over anything usually. We did this in '08. It was my 10th trip to Disney and the first time I ever left thinking "I did not have fun."

I :iagree: with the posters who say stay away from Disney that week! We went this past year the week before Christmas (left FL on the 19th) that week was perfect. But we got a glimpse of the crowds coming and were so happy to be leaving.

The Keys are a good place. Also the gulf coast of FL is beautiful. I love Sarasota!

Oh, thanks for all the fun suggestions! I want to do the British Isles, but I agree that we won't want the jet lag. Ditto for Hawaii (though I did get VERY excited when y'all mentioned it and asked dh if he thought we could do that... he said not this year).

Thanks for all the comments on Disney at that time. That's where dh wants to go, but he sees your collective wisdom on that crowded time frame.

So far I am thinking a drive to San Diego or Sanibel Island. I will get out the big atlas and see what stops could be made along the way to each destination. Great recommendations! Plus I will research a cruise.

It's fun to read all your replies!

Well, if you really want Disney ( and yes, definitely don't go at that time!), you could do the Disney Cruise! Space is limited, so overcrowding is impossible, and you still get a taste of Disney. Plus, it's just so much fun.:)

Definately check this option out!!! We've been on three Disney cruises and we're booked for two more. If you take the cruise to Nassau, you can stop at Atlantis while there! Don't take the cruise excursion to Atlantis (too expensive) - rent a room at the local Comfort Suites. It includes passes to the park. Then take a taxi to Atlantis.

Have fun wherever you decide to go!!

Well, it's not what you're asking (warm weather, no jet lag), lol, but our best ever vacation has been skiing in the Italian Dolomites. Super family-friendly, gorgeous scenery, great skiing. It's also absolutely beautiful & wonderful in the summer for hiking. (Just putting this info out there for your future vacation planning, lol. ;))

Of course, if you're wanting somewhere warm, I always lean toward just about any Pacific island. :001_smile: Since you're looking at going sometime in December & want warm weather, have you considered South America? I've always thought Argentina would be wonderful to visit.

Anytime we are around water, we have a great time. Our favorite vacations have been

- A lake in Georgia (I can't remember its name, it was a friend's lake house)

-Siesta Key, Florida

-Casey Key, Florida

-Lake Tahoe, Ca

-Waves, NC (outer banks)

I don't think it matters much where we are, just as long as we are near water. Our best vacations have been ones where we have stayed in a house that was waterfront. We have been lucky to have generous friends with such accommodations!

Continental US, my choice would be Destin. :D

Costa Rica was awesome. We stayed at this hotel in 2005. http://www.sugar-beach.com/web/ It was quiet, secluded. December would be great as the rainy season is over and it's in the central time zone, no jet lag. When we were there the beach was gorgeous and if there were 9 people on the beach it was crowded.