Menu

Stainless Steel cookware- Do you love yours?

Anna

Cookware-- Need a new set. Looking for best quality stainless steel (no nonstick stuff) in the $100-200. range. I don't care much about "shine", really. It must be stainless steel. Do you prefer to buy sets or individual pieces?

This is one set I'm considering.

I can get this set for $120 at amazon.

Does anyone have either of these set and can tell me how they like them? What do you have that you love and would recommend? I'm open to suggestions.

Edited by Anna

I have bought separate pieces, and I like All Clad. After a few years, I realized I only actually use 2 -3 different pots and skillets. In fact, I could do every thing with one 3 quart pot, one large skillet, and my 5 qt Le Creuset dutch oven and miss nothing. The rest sit in the cabinets, really. Of course, I take my All Clad skillet along on some trips. So yeah, I have packed that thing in my suitcase. (Rental houses etc). That's how much I love it. lol

Anna, that is a good price for that many pieces.

I'm still using my stainless steel, copper-bottomed Revere Ware which I bought about 20 years ago right out of college. I bought mine piecemeal and only own about seven pots all of which I use often.

I also own a small cast iron frying pan which I use every morning. I really need to be careful using it because I tend to have high iron but low ferritin (I'm a medical conundrum). Cast iron is wonderful because it's fairly easy to care for.

I just made the switch to stainless. My husband got me All-clad for Christmas and I love it. I was worried that I would burn everything since I was switching from non-stick but it is a very even heat and takes a lot to burn stuff in it.

I would highly recommend stainless.

The only drawback imo is it always looks cloudy after I wash it--it lost its beautiful shine!

I've been using stainless steel for over 30 years, first RevereWare, which I bought piecemeal, and then waterless cookware, which I bought as a set. I doubt that I'll ever use anything else. (I do confess to having a non-stick frypan I use for things like omelets.) My older dd is using the RevereWare that was her grandmother's.

Guys, I know All Clad is good but I just can't afford it right now. Think-- best quality stainless steel in the $100-200. range for a set. I just posted another link in my OP. So now the two sets I've seen in that price range are Wolfgang Puck and Cuisinart. How do they compare quality-wise?

And where is the best place to view and compare cookware made from different companies? I'm thinking Bed, Bath & Beyond???

Edited by Anna

I've got the set you linked to at Amazon. The Cuisinart set is wonderful. I love it!!! One of my best friends has All Clad and she loves that. But it wwas a gift from her rich dad or she wouldn't have it. It is very expensive, but worth every penny IF you have that many pennies. I chose to get the whole set of Cuisinart instead of 2 pots of All Clad.

That looks like a good deal. I have never heard anything bad about the WPuck SS.

Guys, I know All Clad is good but I just can't afford it right now. Think-- best quality stainless steel in the $100-200. range for a set. I just posted another link in my OP. So now the two sets I've seen in that price range are Wolfgang Puck and Cuisinart. How do they compare quality-wise?

And where is the best place to view and compare cookware made from different companies? I'm thinking Bed, Bath & Beyond???

Instead of buying a set, have you thought of buying open stock? Fewer, carefully selected pieces that may cost more per piece, but the aggregate would be within your price range? You might be able to get higher quality (like All-Clad). You would have to shop really carefully, but there are great deals out there... check Amazon, BBB, Kohl's, etc...

I find that I the only pieces I use are my large soup/pasta pot (which doesn't have to be expensive just for boiling water -- no browning will occur in this usually), 12" inch frying pan, dutch oven and sauce pan. The one that you really need to be high quality, heavy-bottomed would be the dutch oven, in which you would be mostly likely doing your browning for roasts, etc. Your frying pan would be second most important. Buy the same circumference so that you only need one or two lids.

Also, if you have the ability to check out Cook's Illustrated reviews, they have reviews on individual sizes and pieces. You don't need to buy everything from the same brand either...often brands don't have the highest reviews for every single item in their line.

Just my two cents, and have fun shopping!

Also, if you have the ability to check out Cook's Illustrated reviews, they have reviews on individual sizes and pieces. You don't need to buy everything from the same brand either...often brands don't have the highest reviews for every single item in their line.

I've thought of the option of buying individual pieces only I don't know where to begin for how to choose each piece. Besides cooksillustrated, where would you get that kind of help for picking and choosing indiv pieces? I have thought of subscribing to cooksillustrated so this may give me a good excuse to subscribe now.

Do they offer both online and magazine subscriptions and if so, which is best to have?

I've liked the pro-clad tri-ply stainless steel. Emerilware

I'd originally wanted to purchase All-Clad, however I found this on clearance(plus coupon) at BB & B for a great price. We've been very happy with it.

We bought the Emerilware on sale there too. I love it and use almost all the peices regularly. The large stockpot is the only peice that doesn't see regular use. Great pots if you can get them on sale.

My husband bought me Wolfgang Puck a few years ago (actually got it at Costco, I think??) and I AM IN LOVE. I have never in my life been so pleased with my pots and pans. They are incredibly forgiving; their bottoms have never burned (neither on cooktops nor on a gas range), and nothing ever, EVER sticks inside, even when I (gasp) forget I've got something on the stove and the food scalds or burns or sizzles into black scum. My set looks virtually brand new, even though I've used them passionately and often for several years.

Can't praise the Wolfgang Puck set enough.

I've thought of the option of buying individual pieces only I don't know where to begin for how to choose each piece. Besides cooksillustrated, where would you get that kind of help for picking and choosing indiv pieces? I have thought of subscribing to cooksillustrated so this may give me a good excuse to subscribe now.

Do they offer both online and magazine subscriptions and if so, which is best to have?

I would urge you to check out some cast iron skillets/frying pans. If you like them, just buy open stock stainless pots of your favorite manufacturer. I've only used the skillet that came with my pot set a handful of times, I've got a 10" skillet, a 10 1/4 x 3 1/2" fryer and a small 6" skillet. I even use the deep fryer as a pot. I can make chili for 6 in it.

My stainless pots came from Wal-mart 8 years ago. They are not the same style and I got 4 pots with one skillet. They have lasted 8 years and are still going strong. I like the new styles but I can't justify getting rid of mine just to buy the latest style.

Well All Clad was always on my wishlist, but I received a set of stainless steele Wolfgang Puck pots/pans as a gift. I love them (though I've never used All Clad to compare). I think mine are fantastic and they are going on eight years--I use them about every day.

I love my stainless steel! I have been using them for 10yrs now. Also, my MIL gave me some of her old ones. I also have cast iron frying pans 1small and 2 lg they are great as well. They were MIL also so not sure how old they are. My only complaint is as I am getting older it is hard for me to lift them. The small one is fine but the 12in is too heavy. Another thing to consider is if you have a flat top range you can not use copper bottoms or cast iron on them! That's how I inherited my cast iron :)

I am in favor of getting a whole set and adding extra pieces! Depending on how much you cook and your family size. I cook at least 2 meals a day and we have a larger family(7 at home) So I was always out of pots until my MIL gave me some of extra pieces. Hope that helps

Jenny

We have that same Cuisinart Chef's classic, from Amazon, and are very happy with it. Heats up well and evenly, seems to have a thick bottom to retain heat and not scorch (don't use too high a heat) but isn't too heavy. I put mine in the dishwasher all the time. The large stock pot had excellent reviews from America's Test Kitchen which is how I discovered the stuff in the first place. Really excellent value for the money, imo.

I have both so that I don't have to keep all of the magazines (but I do anyway :glare:). BUT everything PLUS video is available online!!! So I would choose the online because they have EVERYTHING there they have ever published plus the web extras.

Other places to look for reviews: http://www.epinions.com has good input, and amazon users write very helpful reviews.

I use my mom's Revere Ware, from her first marriage back in 1962! LOVE IT! Indestructible, basic, does a great job. I can never understand why people want to spend gobs on poisonour aluminum or teflon.

My mom's Revere wear started finally dying lately, handles breaking off, etc...and I finally decided that I was due for my own set of pots and pans. I bought http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Fischner-12-piece-5-layer-18-10-Stainless-Steel-Cookware/3571841/product.html from Overstock and have been pleased with the quality. They are probably more fancy than something I would have picked out on my own and there are actually more pots than I would typically use. I decided to pick up a second SS frying pan because I cook alot of breakfast foods and I just got one from Walmart last week that I'm happy with. Some really good suggestions here, I wish I had come to the hive before I did my shopping!

Another thing to consider is if you have a flat top range you can not use copper bottoms or cast iron on them! That's how I inherited my cast iron :)

Why not? This is the first I've heard of this, I was using copper bottom Revereware and our iron skillet on our flattop range for the past 7 years...maybe this is why they weren't working? lol

I purchased a kitchen aid stainless steel set a few years and ago and there was a learning curve to cook with ss but I really like it. I think I received a free ka tea pot when I purchased the set. I like the quality and pretty much everything about it.

I have a set of Wolfgang that I got at Sam's or Costco 7 or 8 years ago. It's excellent. But, I have heard that the newest ones are not as good as the older ones, but I don't know where I heard it, and I might be wrong. I'm going to add to my collection and the two that I'm lusting after are the Giada set and the Emeril set. I'm leaning towards Emeril's because of the pasta insert and saute pan. My WP set came with a non-stick saute pan (though the rest was stainless), and it's what I really want.

Giada also has a regular stainless set for $150, but if I had a Sam's card, I think I'd really be tempted by the WP set. If the quality is the same as my set, then it's an excellent deal.

There's been an interesting turn of events in my cookware research.

Last night I subscribed to cooksillustrated.com , their online subscrib. Thank you to those who recommended subscribing. (Why didn't I do that sooner?) After viewing their stainless steel cookware test I followed a rabbit trail which led me to.... of all places... Walmart's website where I discovered that the Tramontina company designed a $300. pot set which matches in quality, design and pot size to what Cooks feels would be an ideal cookware set.

From Cooks:

"Our ideal set would include a roomy 12-inch traditional skillet (or fry pan—we use the terms interchangeably) that’s big enough to fit four chicken breasts; a 10-inch nonstick skillet for cooking delicate omelets and fish; a 12-inch cast-iron skillet for frying and searing; a 4-quart covered saucepan for vegetables and other side dishes; a 2-quart covered saucepan for heating soup or cooking oatmeal; a 6- or 7-quart enameled cast-iron Dutch oven for braising, deep-frying, and even baking bread; and a large stockpot that can do double-duty for pasta, lobster, or corn on the cob."

Cooks compares quality of Tramontina to All-Clad:

"This fully clad cookware set (not the Tramontina set I'm thinking of buying) is an amazing bargain, with performance, design, and construction comparable to All-Clad cookware (though cooking surfaces are slightly smaller)."

This is the Tramontina set that Walmart sells. I can afford a $300. set after we get our income tax refund.

I think I've discovered my dream cookware set:001_smile:. What do you guys think? ... I mean, since I can't afford All-Clad?

Edited by Anna

I bought this set with my Christmas gift-money. I'm very happy with it.:001_smile:

I found some good info on this site about cookware that may help you.

ETA: I also bought these nonstihttp://www.amazon.com/Anolon-Advanced-10-Inch-12-inch-Skillets/dp/B001B1CJME/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1266083514&sr=8-3ck skillets to use for cooking scrambled eggs or anything that is extra sticky to cook. I love these!!!

Edited by Crystal in VA
wanted to add more

Why not? This is the first I've heard of this, I was using copper bottom Revereware and our iron skillet on our flattop range for the past 7 years...maybe this is why they weren't working? lol

From what my MIL and mom told me since flat tops are ceramic the weight of cast iron can actually damage the stove top. It will crack and it is VERY expensive to replace. Also, the copper will stain the flat top. Something to do with a chemical reaction with the ceramic. I don't fully understand, but I was happy to take the pots off my MIL hands. We had to replace our stove not too long ago and opt for old style because we could see kids cracking the top. Someday I would love to have a flat top. I hear the clean up is easier.

As someone who sold cookware at a Retail store... but about 15 years ago... I love stainless, but there are some things that I want all of my cookware to have. Riveted Handles.... and.. non-stick is questionable as far as value and perhaps health. I know that I won't buy non-stick again, because my family doesn't care for it correctly. I purchased http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006910G/ref=asc_df_B00006910G1031259?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=googlecom09c9-20&linkCode=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B00006910G

I purchased it through my local store that is like a Macy's. With a coupon and sales, you can sometimes come close or better than the local Walmart. You just need to go in and talk to someone who is friendly... and then see if they can help you with "when" to purchase it... for the best price. Just a thought:-)

:-)