Menu

Malaysia--

Hi, I've just been reading along and living vicariously, but thought I'd pop in and ask why the different paper size would be a big problem? I'm guessing it's A4 - which pretty much every other country outside the US uses (I think)?

If you're worried about your printer, virtually all US printers accomodate A4 paper. And just buy new binders. Or am I missing something? :tongue_smilie:

Haha, you are not missing a thing! When we lived in Japan the paper size for notebooks was slightly different, but they had tons of cute notebooks so no big deal.

BTW, on my first trip back to DK from Japan we stopped in Singapore and I spent the best hours in the bookstore in that airport and bought a couple of books in English!! So, yes, people are somewhat literate in that part of the world. That's the beauty of Malaysia fx. compared to Japan where books in English were *hard* to come by.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And haven't I heard that that is true of Florida, also?

Yes, if you keep your ac off in the hottest - humid time - there can be mold issues. The only time I really noticed it when I lived there was when we went to a smallish motel on the beach. You could smell the musty smell from them turning the ac off when the rooms were not in use. Yuck!

It makes me want to start packing!:D

I think I will just go back to Heather's blog and look at pictures of that bridge again and the envy will subside. (always have had a HUGE phobia of bridges):tongue_smilie:

Really, though, I think it would be the adventure of a lifetime to pursue. Praying, Aubrey, for you and your possible journey!:grouphug:

It makes me want to start packing!:D

I think I will just go back to Heather's blog and look at pictures of that bridge again and the envy will subside. (always have had a HUGE phobia of bridges):tongue_smilie:

Really, though, I think it would be the adventure of a lifetime to pursue. Praying, Aubrey, for you and your possible journey!:grouphug:

LOL--I told the kids about that bridge, & 6yo dd said, "Hm. I'd have to sleep. I'll have to practice going to sleep whenever I want to." :lol:

So, yes, people are somewhat literate in that part of the world.

I hope I didn't sound like I was implying that--my concerns hadn't really gone as far as what would be available *there*--I just have an unnatural attachment to my books *here.* And while I could theoretically do w/out some of them for a period of time (like I could do w/out my children, lol), that would feel awfully silly. I mean, we're talking about a collection of books rarely worth more than $1 ea. And if you go by 1/2 Price's Standards, they're not worth that.

But they save me a fortune in library fines. :lol:

So the top of my in-case-we-go-to-Malaysia to-do list? Cataloging books. :lol: I'm pretty sure that's a misplaced priority, but it's all I can think about. Well, that & selling everything we own. Decluttering gives me an awfully wonderful rush, & this is decluttering on steroids. Dh looks a little scared.

Well, I did suggest we go ahead & sell our beds. :D We can always get more if we need to, & we need to pay off some debt, & I figure we'd sleep better on the floor w/ less debt anyway. My logic leaves him dubious, though.

Hi, I've just been reading along and living vicariously, but thought I'd pop in and ask why the different paper size would be a big problem? I'm guessing it's A4 - which pretty much every other country outside the US uses (I think)?

I wouldn't say it's a *big problem*, but it has been annoying at times. I brought a lot of supplies -- paper, empty binders, etc. -- that do not mesh well with a different paper size.. at least for me, because I get irritated when the tab sets I have from the States don't fit right with the pages I printed here.. also, if you download materials created in the US, the layout can shift. For example, I downloaded a number of books from Reading AtoZ when they had that free day, but when printing the books out I had margins that were off. Nothing dire, but potentially irritating.

Maybe they have 1/2 & 1/2? Maybe flavored syrups? See, I'm totally flexible.

See, now you're getting into the spirit of it. :D You may never have been out of Texas, but you're starting to think outside the box. You can do it! Creativity breeds more creativity. And more flexibility.

So the top of my in-case-we-go-to-Malaysia to-do list? Cataloging books. :lol: I'm pretty sure that's a misplaced priority, but it's all I can think about.

Well, hey, then why not go ahead and catalog them. If they are important to you and it's fine with the school to bring whatever you want, then do it. You wouldn't want to be on the other side of the globe from something you really do *need* for your family.

Also, I bet amazon ships to Malaysia...and there are probably other ways to get books to you there.

Well, I did suggest we go ahead & sell our beds. :D We can always get more if we need to, & we need to pay off some debt, & I figure we'd sleep better on the floor w/ less debt anyway. My logic leaves him dubious, though.

If you can only think right now of making an initial 2 year commitment - if the thought of staying longer doesn't appeal to you from this side of the globe, then don't sell your beds. Esp. if they are good ones. Because if you do return to the States in two years, beds will be one of your immediate and most appreciated needs. You can get rid of other things like nice but not necessary small appliances (for me, I'd pitch the ice cream maker, but not the KA hand mixer), or extra bedding, or extra toys, or extra screwdrivers, or extra chairs, or even the dining room table. But beds would be the one big item I'd keep in storage for my return.

So the top of my in-case-we-go-to-Malaysia to-do list? Cataloging books. :lol: I'm pretty sure that's a misplaced priority, but it's all I can think about. Well, that & selling everything we own. Decluttering gives me an awfully wonderful rush, & this is decluttering on steroids. Dh looks a little scared.

It's funny to read your posts because we are so opposite in what we'd bring and store.

My biggest worry is food. We're on a dairy free diet and I avoid all but trace amounts of soy. I worry about being able to read the labels for dairy and soy ingredients (are they in English?) and being able to find things substitutes for dairy foods for cooking. Worst case is we eat only fresh foods, but I'd sure miss baked goods.

I worry about being able to read the labels for dairy and soy ingredients (are they in English?)
I don't know about Malaysia, but here a lot of products don't list the ingredients. It isn't a law here, so many companies don't print it -- even Western-based ones who do so for their products in the US. I rely as much on whole foods as possible.

But you may also find unforeseen alternatives -- I've heard from several moms here that have kids with lactose intolerance that they are able to substitute camel milk (which is low in lactose) without any bad effects... camel milk in pudding, etc.

See, now you're getting into the spirit of it. :D You may never have been out of Texas, but you're starting to think outside the box. You can do it! Creativity breeds more creativity. And more flexibility.

Nah, Starbucks already requires that creativity. ;)

Also, I bet amazon ships to Malaysia...and there are probably other ways to get books to you there.

Yeah, but if I already own them, that would be more expensive.

If you can only think right now of making an initial 2 year commitment - if the thought of staying longer doesn't appeal to you from this side of the globe, then don't sell your beds. Esp. if they are good ones. Because if you do return to the States in two years, beds will be one of your immediate and most appreciated needs. You can get rid of other things like nice but not necessary small appliances (for me, I'd pitch the ice cream maker, but not the KA hand mixer), or extra bedding, or extra toys, or extra screwdrivers, or extra chairs, or even the dining room table. But beds would be the one big item I'd keep in storage for my return.

Nah, we got these off CL. Easy come, easy go.

It's funny to read your posts because we are so opposite in what we'd bring and store.

My biggest worry is food. We're on a dairy free diet and I avoid all but trace amounts of soy. I worry about being able to read the labels for dairy and soy ingredients (are they in English?) and being able to find things substitutes for dairy foods for cooking. Worst case is we eat only fresh foods, but I'd sure miss baked goods.

Dh is dairy/wheat free, but I figure that will be easier there. Asian foods seem to be a convenient solution for him here. And while he's not actively cutting soy from his diet, he does try to generally avoid it. Personally, I think less corn would do him a world of good.

But I hadn't thought about trying to read labels. I just thought, hey! I bet rice flour's cheaper there! And wheee! I don't have to cook! :D

yes amazon ships here

yes most food has labels

yes there are TONS of food choices here for every palatte (take me for instance, I am currently eating peanut M&Ms and a diet coke...right up my alley!:D).

You get a large shipping allowance so if you bring clothes, toys and books...you can bring lots of books. You won't need to bring any furniture, it is provided.

yes amazon ships here

yes most food has labels

yes there are TONS of food choices here for every palatte (take me for instance, I am currently eating peanut M&Ms and a diet coke...right up my alley!:D).

You get a large shipping allowance so if you bring clothes, toys and books...you can bring lots of books. You won't need to bring any furniture, it is provided.

But Heather...what about...

BOOKSHELVES???? :lol:

But Heather, didn't you mention that you went over your shipping allowance?

Yes I did but I am very unusual. I brought more stuff than I needed to. Some people bring next to nothing and buy everything when they get here. Whatever you don't spend of your shipping allowance on actually shipping stuff, you get to keep! And it is quite a bit of money. I just wasn't all that smart about it. I panicked and packed everything I own! :tongue_smilie:

But I love living vicariously through Heather and now hopefully Aubrey and others! If you go, you HAVE to give us updates! I can pray for a wonderful monkey experience too! LOL!

If we get the job, you can read all about it on our blog. I'll definitely be blogging the experience and every outing we make there.

I am so excited for you both, Aubrey and JoAnn! I hope both of your families have fun with this adventure!

I would absolutely love to do this, and we'd be off in a heartbeat if it was an option for non-Christians. Actually... does anyone know of similar opportunities that would be open to those outside the Christian faith? (I've been trying to convince my husband to move to Equador for a couple of years now!)

I can't tell you how much fun it has been to read this thread! I'm hoping/praying for each of you that wants this wonderful opportunity to go and live in Malaysia.

At first, I read the list of jobs open to my dh as he is an amazingly gifted teacher and is certainly qualified, thinking that since this is my last year homeschooling that Malaysia would be a great 'next adventure'.

But.....then I realized my kids would be left here in the States, and even though they are adults, they're still my kids and I don't want to leave them!!! They can leave me (college, jobs, life, etc.) but I want to always be available to them.

Too bad we didn't have this opportunity about 10 or so years ago. That would have been perfect!

So....keep posting all of you. I'll just live vicariously through you. :001_smile:

I am so excited for you both, Aubrey and JoAnn! I hope both of your families have fun with this adventure!

I would absolutely love to do this, and we'd be off in a heartbeat if it was an option for non-Christians. Actually... does anyone know of similar opportunities that would be open to those outside the Christian faith? (I've been trying to convince my husband to move to Equador for a couple of years now!)

http://www.interamerican.edu.ec/

http://www.cotopaxi.k12.ec/Schoolsite/default.aspx

Nearly all the international schools here are not Christian based.( secular schools)

They are generally broken up by curriculum: British, French, American, Australian,German etc

Nearly all the international schools here are not Christian based.( secular schools)

They are generally broken up by curriculum: British, French, American, Australian,German etc

She's right. There are far more secular international schools than christian (and they generally pay better too). If it weren't for the fact that I want to work in a christian school and have my kids attend a christian school, I could move to another international school in a heartbeat and make more money.

How much do you think you'll get for the green couch? ;)

Yeah, we're not selling that one right now. It's been...loved. The kind of love that just tears you up. ;) We'll probably be lucky to give it away in its current condition, which is lucky for dh, because otherwise, I'd be selling it out from under him, lol!

At $30, though, it was a great CL find & has served its purpose well.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked 2yo the other day while I was fixing her hair--Do you know where Malaysia is?

She usually makes a face, giggles, & walks off.

She said, "By China." :blink:

I promise I haven't been talking about it THAT much.

Well...not in that much detail.

And my hs'ing isn't THAT good, either. :lol:

Anyway, the paperwork is all done, & I've got that panicky-excited-freefall feeling that I had when dh proposed. :D

Hmm...I think I remember Heather talking about it last March and she had a few weeks to decide, or something like that....

whhooohoo! Keep us posted, Aubrey!

Yeah, I think interviews will be between the end of this mo & sometime next. I don't know if I'm more nervous to get it or not to get it. Well, at least in the latter case, I don't have to make a decision, but...

ETA: 5. I think his health would improve w/ the climate & the diet. He's doing much better here, wheat & dairy-free, but TX allergies are awful. His asthma has been hardly noticeable since the dietary changes, but a) I think those changes would be easier in an Asian country, since that's the bulk of what he can eat, & b) I imagine "tropical" to be good for breathing. Maybe it's desert, though? Maybe both? In general, though, I think almost any place would be better for him health-wise than here.

Some people find a warm/wet climate to be good for allergies; others find that the abundant mould spores are a problem. Just so you know.

Laura

• 4 weeks later...

Well. We have interviews tonight or tomorrow night. (And? Not sure.)

I'm finding it hard to concentrate. My stomach's flipping like a beached fish.

On the one hand, if we're not offered jobs, we don't have to make decisions. I like not making decisions.

On the other hand, if we're not offered jobs, I don't think I'll be able to help wondering why not.

I should really be making a list of questions & thinking about ed theory, etc., but I can't sit still. :tongue_smilie:

Some people find a warm/wet climate to be good for allergies; others find that the abundant mould spores are a problem. Just so you know.

Laura

Hmmm...I know mold is hard on dh, but I also know when he's having trouble breathing, he'll sit in the bathroom & breathe steam from the shower.

I'm sure there's a difference, but I don't know exactly which way it'd go. I'm not sure there's a good way to know in advance! :001_huh:

Fwiw, though, even here, his asthma has been under control for the last 2 yrs really well--since eliminating more of what he's allergic to food wise, ironically. :lol:

Before that, he averaged a day of work a month that he was out--far from ideal, but far life-threatening, too. I mean, as far as I know.