Menu

When did you start Latin?

KrissiK

My oldest started Prima Latina in 3rd grade, following TWTM recommendations. However, we folded our 1st grader into the lessons, and worked to complete it on a gentle schedule, in 1 1/2 yrs. The younger did quite well and has retained much of the information. We cut back on the writing/spelling required for the younger. They're both moving into Latina Christiana this semester (4th and 2nd). So I'd say younger students can definitely handle it, but it could go either way if you wish to really emphasize the writing and spelling.

Erica in OR

DS was in the 2nd grade, but he was 8. We didn't learn a lot that year, but it was a good start to make Latin a regular (and pleasant) part of our school day. The big thing in my family has been for ME to get comfortable enough with it that I could carry on -- and that required starting early (with simple programs) and sticking with it. Personally, I can't imagine beginning with a 7th grade text in grade 7 (for example). The little kids' programs are much easier on mom. :)

We started light Latin courses in the second half of first grade (Prima Latina, then Minimus). We waited until 3rd grade for a real Latin grammar course (LFC A). That has worked well here. My youngest has always tagged along, but I think she will be repeating LFC A and doing the written work this time when she hits 3rd grade. I expect it will be pretty easy for her.

We started Spanish in 1st, added in Latin this year for 2nd grade.

My daughter complained about learning too many languages at first, but the first lesson, one of the Latin words was the same as a Spanish word she knew, so she was happy about that. (Luna.)

She's now resigned to her fate and also wants to learn some German since she was born in Germany!

We do Latin 2 or 3 times a week and don't spend a ton of time on it, it's just a gentle intro.

I think younger kids can do PL and LCI, BUT with the understanding that at the younger age, mostly memorization will be happening and not necessarily UNDERSTANDING. Their understanding of Latin construction will depend on their understanding of English grammar first. Especially by LCII, the DC needs to have a deeper understanding of English grammar to make it "work". I am doing FLL4 with my 5th grader presently, along side LCII, and they seem to REALLY compliament each other.

So I think PL and LC can be done (memorized) by 2nd graders, but by LCII, they need to clearly understand the English grammar of:

subject

action verb

direct object

indirect object

possession

tenses (past, present, future)

maybe more (we're only half way through...!)

HTH and GL - Stacey in MA

Kindergarten. :p

Now, seriously, if we're talking about actual analytical study, that waited for somewhere in 3rd grade (officially 4th) though at the time we started it, they knew already a lot (playfully from kindergarten till 3rd, in smaller chunks, I had covered indicatives of present and imperfect, both futures, and pretty much all declensions, as well as tons of vocabulary since I used small excerpts from texts and adapted texts to teach them), so it wasn't really a "start".

One started with Prima Latina just before he turned five (finished in a month and moved on to LC1). He was already a strong reader, comfortable writing, and a very competent English speller. The other dabbled with Song School at 6 or so, and started with Minimus around age 6. Looking ahead, I doubt there will be obvious differences in their competence levels by seventh or eighth grade. Still, I don't regret starting as early as I did with ds. Latin has *always* been a part of his schooling, and that can be a really nice thing.

Generally, I'd say wait and start Latin when the child can read and write comfortably, no hesitations. When that happens can vary so widely! It's also helpful if the child has had some English grammar instruction prior to beginning Latin, or at least shows a readiness to differentiate between parts of speech.

I do think it's nice to start by 3rd or 4th grade. But better to start in high school or college than to get no Latin at all!

Not yet. I started my oldest with PL in 3rd grade. We didn't make it very far. He didn't like it. So then the next year I tried buying the DVD's, with great hope. He still didn't like it. So I sold that. I want to start him on Latin Prep here in the next month or so. So hopefully 6th. :001_smile:

My second ds I'm sure is going to be older - knowing his personality.

DD started with PL in first grade, but she is very good with language. She started out this year (2nd) with LCI, which worked well...LCI is set up with five lessons and then a review lesson, but we added in an extra review week after the second or third week of each unit to make sure that she had the vocab down. After Christmas, (for my sake) we switched to Lively Latin 4 days a week, with Minimus on Fridays. We're loving the switch!

I will not start my son until at least 2nd grade and maybe even 3rd because he's more of a math guy than a language guy, and will also start reading later than dd, although he is picking up on the chants and other tidbits from big sis' lessons.

We tried at the beginning of 2nd grade. Ds turned 7 that same week. He was not reading well at all. Actually, he was barely reading. (Thankfully, the lightbulb finally went all, albeit it's still warming up. He must be a florescent lighbulb. But I digress.)

We had to stop Latin because he couldn't read well enough in English and adding the Latin to it wasn't working. It was confusing him.

We're going to try again in 3rd grade, when he turns 8 and can read English with more fluency.