Menu

Book A Week in 2010 - Book Week Three

Sunday is the start of Book Week Three and should have you starting book # 3 if you haven't already. I'm hoping this next week I'll find some time to start writing some reviews. I'm working my way to your blogs slowly but surely and checking out what you've been reading. Quit a few interesting books.

The post is up on 52 Books blog with Mr. Linky for you to link to your review of current reads. Please include the name of the book in parenthesis after your name so we'll all know what book you read. Plus link to the specific url for the review and not your general page.

I have Arthur Clarke on the brain this week and had no idea he had written some very interesting non fiction books about space and sea. Where have I been? I highlighted a few on the blog. There are some I'm sure our space nutty boys will be particularly interested in.

I'm seem to be in an alphabetical mood. Even Random.org is pushing me in that direction. I kid you not. I have all my books listed in title order from 1 to 100. Random.org chose 2 and 4 so I'll be reading Alton Gansky's A Ship Possessed and Alfred Bester's The Demolished Man. After I finish a review book I received recently - The Forgotten Legion by Ben Kane.

So what are you all reading this week?

Edited by Mytwoblessings

After ditching Sense and Sensibility half way, and getting much of the way through Pride and Prejudice before needing to bring it back to the library, I found Mr. Darcy's Diary on their "recommended" shelf. I'm really enjoying this one! I'm sure I have a greater appreciation for it after watching the P&P movies this week and reading (most of) the book - don't know if I'd get half as big a kick out of it if I picked it up "green". :)

I"m currently finishing up Emma by Jane Austen and Eats Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss.

I just started In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto by Michael Pollan and will pick up Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell once one of the others is off the list.

I"m reading them as they are fed to me from my library hold list.

Oh, and I've also been perusing Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott and A Novel in A Year by Louise Doughty as I try to dust off some old writing skills. The Novel book isn't really about writing a novel in a year, the title is quite misleading. It has some worthwhile exercise that I'm trying out, though.

I think I'll just start pasting in my list. I finished The Bread Baker's Apprentice and The Last Olympian. I've got Edith Hamilton's Mythology waiting for me. It's either that or The Iliad, and Mythology is looking a bit easier to me!

2010 Book-a-week

1. Sarah's Key

2. The Art of Racing in the Rain

3. The Last Olympian

4. The Bread Baker's Apprentice

I finished The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet and In a Perfect World this week. I am still reading Noah's Compass, Where the God of Love Hangs Out and Still Alice.

Read in 2010:

The Well and the Mine (Gin Phillips)

Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy)

The Selected Works of T.S. Spivet (Reif Larsen)

In a Perfect World (Laura Kasischke)

Edited by Crissy

I started with Middlemarch, and I just couldn't finish it. It is only the third book I have ever quit on, but I hated it.

So I have Real Learning by Elizabeth Foss for week one. And I read The Last Queen by C.W. Gortner for week two. Both were pretty good, but The Last Queen seemed very revisionist and I question its authenticity.

For my classic, I am reading Gulliver's Travels, which I love. I just love Jonathon Swift. And I will be reading Hold Tight by Harlan Coben for week three.

This week I read A Morbid Taste For Bones by Ellis Peters (enjoyed the first book in the Cadfael series!) and Going Solo (Roald Dahl's memoir of his time as a WWII pilot ~ loved!). I also continued reading Jack: A Life of C.S. Lewis by George Sayer, which is incredible. I'm starting in on Tomie DePaola's 26 Fairmount Avenue series.

Finished books this year:

Going Solo by Roald Dahl

A Morbid Taste For Bones by Ellis Peters

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes, retold by Martin Jenkins

So far I have read:

#1 - The Missing (Series: Seasons of Grace, v.2), by Beverly Lewis

#2 - Three Weeks With My Brother: A Memoir, by Nicholas and Micah Sparks --This book was quite good. Whether you like Nicholas Sparks' novels or detest them, this non-fiction, autobiographical-type book is well-worth reading, imho.

#3 - The Guinea Pig Diaries: My Life as an Experiment, by A.J. Jacobs. I simply do not know why I read this author's books - of which there are three. He is quite a quirky kind of guy and I do not care for the totally unnecessary language he throws in. I guess it is *because* of his quirkiness that I relent and read him just to see what he is up to now.:glare:

I am currently reading:

#4 - In Search of Eden, by Linda Nichols

I finished three books this past week. Do you hear the angels singing? Yep, that was a MIRACLE!! :lol:

My books have overtaken the table in my mom's sewing room, and I have to get these books read and donated before they return (live in FL most of the year, stay with us during the summer). I guess that's why I'm pushing myself.

So far...

4 Mary, Martha, and Me (Camille Fronk Olson)

3 Eldest (Christopher Paolini)

2 Managers of Their Schools (Steve & Teri Maxwell)

1 Restoring Order to Your Home (Vicki Norris)

Question

Would you all consider C.S. Lewis's works too recent to be classics?

Edited by PollyOR

So far...

4 Mary, Martha, and Me (Camille Fronk Olson)

3 Eldest (Christopher Paolini)

2 Managers of Their Schools (Steve & Teri Maxwell)

1 Restoring Order to Your Home (Vicki Norris)

Question

Would you all consider C.S. Lewis's works too recent to be classics?

What did you think of Mary, Martha, and Me? I read that a few years ago and generally liked it. Have you read anything else Fronk has written?

And no, I don't this C.S. Lewis's works are too recent to be considered classics. I can think of a number of classics that were written more recently that anything Lewis wrote.

I'm on book number four for the year: I, Claudius by Robert Graves. I'm about half way in and really enjoying it!

Finished books for January:

1. A Suitable Vengeance by Elizabeth George (quite enjoyable)

2. Carry on, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse (so much fun!)

3. Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris (pure candy - loved it!)

What did you think of Mary, Martha, and Me? I read that a few years ago and generally liked it. Have you read anything else Fronk has written?

This is the first book I've read by her. There were times that I was enjoying it and then there were parts where I felt that she was repeating herself every few paragraphs. I especially liked the chapter about setting priorities. Lots of good quotes in that one.

I posted a link to my review on th 52 books blog.

This week I read Michael Chabon's The Final Solution: A Story of Detection, and I really enjoyed it. Beautiful writing, another author's imagined idea of Sherlock Holmes "golden years".

I'm also about half way through The Little Book by Seldon Edwards, which I'm also enjoying. It is his first novel, but a novel he had been working on for 30 years -- and it is fun, well written and keeping me guessing.

I've been fighting insominia recently by re-listening to Bill Bryson's In a Sunburned Country, a travel book on Australia. I struggled one night to fight from laughing out loud and waking my dh -- Bryson has that effect on me! Might as well be happy if I'm wide awake in the wee hours!

I'm on book number four for the year: I, Claudius by Robert Graves. I'm about half way in and really enjoying it!

Finished books for January:

1. A Suitable Vengeance by Elizabeth George (quite enjoyable)

2. Carry on, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse (so much fun!)

3. Dead and Gone by Charlaine Harris (pure candy - loved it!)

Oooh! I love I, Claudius and Claudius the God. I should put those on my list to read again this year.

I also have listed *anything* by P.G. Wodehouse, as I've never read his work.

I just finished A Simple Christmas by Mike Huckabee. Nice, easy read. Heartwarming. My only wish was that the editing had been tighter.

I've begun reading Mansfield Park by Jane Austen. My challenge-within-the-challenge is to read at least one classic per month, so this is my classic for January, unless I also manage St. Augustine's Confessions.

2010:

"The Promise" by Father Jonathan Morris

"Going Rogue" by Sarah Palin

"A Simple Christmas" by Mike Huckabee

...begining "Mansfield Park" by Jane Austen

I haven't posted yet...

Week 1.

My Life in France I loved it!

Womanly Dominion, More than A Gentle and Quiet Spirit by Mark Chanski. Has anyone else read this? It is interesting and written from a complementarian perspective, advocated college education for girls (hurrah!), but I didn't like it anyway. Too many over the top examples of super woman "dominion" women. Can't take that kind of pressure, I'm weak - not a superwoman.

Week 2.

Holding on to the Air by Suzanne Farrell. I wanted to read a ballerina bio bc I have a ballet obsessed daughter. I love Balanchine's choreography, but find his life quite sad and creepy.

Week 3.

American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House, Jon Meachem. It was ok, I didn't like the narrow focus of the White House years, particularly the "Peggy Eaton" affair. The author quoted lots of correspondance in order to be accurate, but didn't delve in to a character study of Jackson. I loved Andrew and Rachel Jackson in the historic fiction by Irving Stone, The President's Lady. I would love to read something else about them...

Edited by LNC

So far I have read:

#1: The Epic of Gilgamesh

#2-4 - The Isolde and Tristan Trilogy by Rosalind Miles

#5 - The Help

#6 - I am on Chapter 5 of Don Quixote (again). I am determined to get through it this time!

I am about to start Fahenheit 451 to read along with my dd.

...Going Solo (Roald Dahl's memoir of his time as a WWII pilot ~ loved!).
That is one of my all-time favorite books. :001_smile: The first chapter is just about the funniest thing ever.

I read The Worm Ouroboros, which is an old British fantasy--influenced Tolkien and whatnot. It actually took me quite a long time to read, and now I'm finally done, yay! Here's the blog post.

This week I also read:

P. G. Wodehouse, The Catnappers

Minfong Ho, The Stone Goddess (great book)

Finished the advance copy of History of the Medieval World, yay

And I'm about halfway through Cranford. I've never read it!

Week Two: Mystery Week!

A Murder, a Mystery and a Marriage Mark Twain, forward and afterward by Roy Blount, Jr. (short story packaged as a novella)

Back to Bologna: An Aurelio Zen Mystery by Michael Dibdin

Mystery Mile by Margery Allingham (listened to this—the detective, Albert Campion, was apparently created to spoof Lord Peter Wimsey)

, so this is my classic for January, unless I also manage St. Augustine's Confessions.

Urgh. That would only have taken me a couple of days to read except I'm studying it a la WEM. I've finished book one, finally. Now to start on book two. :(

Still, it's been so hot the past week that I've spent a couple of days lying on a mattress on the floor in front of the air con. So I finished "Vanishing Borders: The Rediscovery of Eastern Germany, Poland and Bohemia," and read Sue Patrick's Workbox book, Patterns in the Sand, by Sally Goldenbaum, Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death by M.C Beaton and Plain Jane by Laurien Gardner.

Patterns in the Sand was a knitting mystery, so quite light and fun. Agatha Raisin is a crabby old woman but how can one leave a book about a Quiche of Death on the shelf? Plain Jane was very good, I thought. I'm tossing up whether I want to read the previous two in the series, about Catherine of Aragon and Anne Boleyn but I think I won't. I've read so much about those two already, whereas Jane Seymour was more of an unknown since she gets far less attention than her two predecessors.

Rosie

I finished my second book and am starting/continuing several. Here's my list:

Finished:

1. If I'm Diapering a Watermelon, Where's the Baby?

2. The Sinful Nights of a Nobleman by Jillian Hunter (romance:D)

Working on:

1. Manalive

2. Charlotte's Web

3. The Screwtape Letters (DH stole it from me, but he's almost finished)

4. Sense and Sensibility (BF and I are having an argument over which movie is better BBC, Emma Thompson or new Masterpiece Classics. She says if I would ever finish the book I would KNOW the BBC is the best:glare: I say Masterpiece Classics).

Blessings!

Dorinda

Still, it's been so hot the past week that I've spent a couple of days lying on a mattress on the floor in front of the air con.

Rosie, it seems so funny to read about how hot it is for you when we've just barely broken free from sub-freezing temps! It's a BIG world, after all. Can't imagine being in a pair of shorts right now! :D

Rosie, it seems so funny to read about how hot it is for you when we've just barely broken free from sub-freezing temps! It's a BIG world, after all. Can't imagine being in a pair of shorts right now! :D

Less than that, Honey. But you didn't need that picture, did you?

;):D

Rosie

So far I have read:

#1: The Epic of Gilgamesh

#2-4 - The Isolde and Tristan Trilogy by Rosalind Miles

#5 - The Help

#6 - I am on Chapter 5 of Don Quixote (again). I am determined to get through it this time!

I am about to start Fahenheit 451 to read along with my dd.

How did you like The Help? I'm #36 out of 37 holds at the library. I hope it's good!

Guest Virginia Dawn

I'm reading the Lost City of Z that I saw here on the boards and really enjoying it.

So far I've read:

The Blight Way

The Lightning Thief

D.A.

In addittion to The Lost City of Z, I'm reading:

Winds of Marble Arch

Hebrews for Everyone

Rabbit Hill

Edited by Virginia Dawn

Books I finished reading last week:

Swords Against Death and Swords in the Mist by Fritz Leiber:

• Two more collections of Fafhrd/Gray Mouser short stories. Leiber wrote many stories about these two rogues over the course of his career, and I'm sorry to report that there is a disappointing lack of quality in his earlier works, the majority of which can be found in these two collections. A great many of the stories are no better than a mediocre Conan adventure, with simple swashbuckling and little distinctiveness between Leiber's two heroes. Rising above the rest of the collection in my opinion are The Price of Pain-ease where the heroes are conjured to steal the mask of Death in return for relief from their melancholy, Bazaar of the Bizarre where the Mouser is lured into enchantment by a curio shop, and the comic tale Lean Times in Lankhmar, where Fafhrd and the Mouser hang up their swords for a while and turn to other occupations.

The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin:

• It's always fascinating to get a glimpse into the life of a great man. It's too bad that the work is cut short: Franklin died before he had a chance to chronicle his life during the course of the Revolutionary War. Nevertheless, we are able to read a great deal about his early life and his steadily increasing political influence in the affairs of the colony. Some might call Franklin egotistical(listing his faults as mere errata to be easily corrected), but the work gives me an impression of his self-assuredness. Franklin imparts on us the idea that one who applies himself to his industry with diligence and strives to be of good character cannot fail to become as successful as he.

Figures of Earth by James Branch Cabell:

• Those seeking lessons in egotism, instead of looking to Ben Franklin, might be better served by reading about Dom Manuel. Figures of Earth is a witty fantasy novel about the life of Manuel and his affairs in the fictional kingdom of Poictesme. Under an obligation laid down by his mother to make a fine figure of himself(taken literally by Manuel: he shapes figurines of himself out of mud), Dom Manuel sets out into the world, effortlessly finding riches, love and success, only to abandon them in a neverending search for something more to his liking.

The Wine-Dark Sea by Patrick O'Brian:

• A recurring theme in this series of novels is the friendship of Captain Aubrey and Doctor Maturin. Despite the fact that he spends much of his time aboard ship, Maturin finds the province of Aubrey, the naval world, completely incomprehensible. Aubrey, for his part, is equally a stranger to the doctor's skills in medicine, science, and espionage. I believe that the friendship is so engaging to the reader because, being equally unfamiliar with either of these worlds, he is lost in the complexity of the highly technical jargon that each character uses, and is therefore readily able to sympathize with both of them.

A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin:

• A good fantasy tale about the adventures of the young wizard Ged in the land of Earthsea. In my opinion, this novel is aimed at a more juvenile reader, and it does not rise to the level of excellence in found in Le Guin's Tales from Earthsea; neither the themes nor the characters are as strongly developed. Still recommended if you like fantasy.

Books read in 2010 (9):

Week 1: The Nutmeg of Consolation, Swords and Deviltry, Tales from Earthsea

Week 2: Swords Against Death, Swords in the Mist, The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, Figures of Earth, The Wine-Dark Sea, A Wizard of Earthsea.

Picked up one of my holds from the library yesterday & read the whole book last night:

the curious incident of the dog in the night-time by Mark Haddon

"Mark Haddon's bitterly funny debut novel, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, is a murder mystery of sorts--one told by an autistic version of Adrian Mole. Fifteen-year-old Christopher John Francis Boone is mathematically gifted and socially hopeless, raised in a working-class home by parents who can barely cope with their child's quirks. He takes everything that he sees (or is told) at face value, and is unable to sort out the strange behavior of his elders and peers.

Late one night, Christopher comes across his neighbor's poodle, Wellington, impaled on a garden fork. Wellington's owner finds him cradling her dead dog in his arms, and has him arrested. After spending a night in jail, Christopher resolves--against the objection of his father and neighbors--to discover just who has murdered Wellington. He is encouraged by Siobhan, a social worker at his school, to write a book about his investigations, and the result--quirkily illustrated, with each chapter given its own prime number--is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.

Haddon's novel is a startling performance. This is the sort of book that could turn condescending, or exploitative, or overly sentimental, or grossly tasteless very easily, but Haddon navigates those dangers with a sureness of touch that is extremely rare among first-time novelists. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time is original, clever, and genuinely moving: this one is a must-read. --Jack Illingworth, Amazon.ca"

I enjoyed it quite a lot & would agree especially w/ the last words of the amazon review -- it is original, clever, and genuinely moving. I definitely recommend it.

I'm also still working on the others I was reading last week:

Good Omens

"This zany tale of the bungling of Armageddon features an angel, a demon, an 11-year-old Antichrist and a doomsaying witch; unmistakably British humor is in abundance."

The Canon

"Pulitzer-winning science writer Angier (Woman: An Intimate Geography) distills everything you've forgotten from your high school science classes and more into one enjoyable book, a guide for the scientifically perplexed adult who wants to understand what those guys in lab coats on the news are babbling about, in the realms of physics, chemistry, biology, geology or astronomy."

Teach Like Your Hair's On Fire

"Perhaps the most famous fifth-grade teacher in America, Rafe Esquith has won numerous awards and even honorary citizenship in the British Empire for his outstandingly successful methods. In his Los Angeles public school classroom, he helps impoverished immigrant children understand Shakespeare, play Vivaldi, and become happy, self-confident people."

W/ the dc, I'm working on two read-alouds:

Augustus Caesar's World

"In her unique approach, Foster weaves a story of the world around her central character; rather than focusing exclusively on geo-political events, as most textbooks do; she includes stories of scientific discovery and invention, music, literature, art, and religion. She has a keen intuition for stories that will especially delight and amuse her youthful audience. In Augustus Caesar's World, Foster traces the seven major civilizations Rome, Greece, Israel, Egypt, China, India, and Persia from 4500 B.C. to the time of Augustus Caesar in 44 B.C. and culminating in 14 A.D. Within this timeframe readers will learn not only the stories of Julius Caesar, Cleopatra, and Marc Antony, but also the historian Livy and how Virgil came to write the Aeneid."

The Wee Free Men (which is wonderful & so funny; we are loving it)

"Nine-year-old Tiffany Aching needs magic--fast! Her sticky little brother Wentworth has been spirited away by the evil Queen of faerie, and it’s up to her to get him back safely. Having already decided to grow up to be a witch, now all Tiffany has to do is find her power. But she quickly learns that it’s not all black cats and broomsticks. According to her witchy mentor Miss Tick, "Witches don’t use magic unless they really have to...We do other things. A witch pays attention to everything that’s going on...A witch uses her head...A witch always has a piece of string!" Luckily, besides her trusty string, Tiffany’s also got the Nac Mac Feegles, or the Wee Free Men on her side. Small, blue, and heavily tattooed, the Feegles love nothing more than a good fight except maybe a drop of strong drink! Tiffany, heavily armed with an iron skillet, the feisty Feegles, and a talking toad on loan from Miss Tick, is a formidable adversary. But the Queen has a few tricks of her own, most of them deadly. Tiffany and the Feegles might get more than they bargained for on the flip side of Faerie! Prolific fantasy author Terry Pratchett has served up another delicious helping of his famed Discworld fare. The not-quite-teen set will delight in the Feegles’ spicy, irreverent dialogue and Tiffany’s salty determination. Novices to Pratchett’s prose will find much to like here, and quickly go back to devour the rest of his Discworld offerings. Scrumptiously recommended."

Picked up The Good Earth by Pearl Buck yesterday and couldn't put it down. Finished it at 12:30 last night. All I can say is WOW! :thumbup: It was Amazing! Nothing is new under the sun, all cultures and peoples go through the same hardships, trials and blessings generation after generation. A must read.

Yeah! Now I'm ahead!

Dorinda

Picked up The Good Earth by Pearl Buck yesterday and couldn't put it down. Finished it at 12:30 last night. All I can say is WOW! :thumbup: It was Amazing! Nothing is new under the sun, all cultures and peoples go through the same hardships, trials and blessings generation after generation. A must read.

Yeah! Now I'm ahead!

Dorinda

I agree, awesome book!

Madame Bovary ... I ... Am ... DONE! :svengo:

Classic? Yes. Depressing? Yes! Read again? Hopefully never.

:lol: I really disliked Madame Bovary when I read it in high school. I wondered if I would like it better now, but I think you're convincing me that it won't have improved with age....