Menu

THIS will be the dumbest question ever asked here!

Really!

I have to select granite for our kitchen counters (or silestone - but I will probably go with granite b/c I think there is more play in the price with granite......

Anyway, here's the dumb question: I went to the granite 'showroom' today to make the appointment for measuring -- they will meet me at our house next Wednesday. The 'yard' of the granite place has hundreds of slabs AND they have a section of what is probably 'waste, scraps, leftovers, mistakes' etc. I do not need a long run of granite trust me -- I've had HUGE kitchens and this is not one of them -- Without looking like a cheapskate, how do I get the point across that I don't want to spend an amount equivalent to a healthy kidney, liver or lungs? And, that's why it's so dumb......I have no problem with other stuff, but telling a granite guy that I want to spend as little $$$$ as possible and still have it look nice (which I have no doubt I can do for less than a ton of money), well, here I am.

Hints, please?

Mariann

They're just salespeople. They want you to spend spend spend your money. They're not worried about whether or not anyone can really afford something. (That's how I see it, anyways ;))

I'd just ask to look at something that costs less $$ and go from there. No shame in wanting to save money.

They're just salespeople. They want you to spend spend spend your money. They're not worried about whether or not anyone can really afford something. (That's how I see it, anyways ;))

I'd just ask to look at something that costs less $$ and go from there. No shame in wanting to save money.

That sounds simple enough. I can do that.

I would just ask him how much that stuff in the yard is after I priced the other. Okay, really I would stress about this just like you are doing. :)
Really, you would? That makes me feel so much better.....really. I feel like such a dunce about this.....car dealers do not bother me, pretty much no one out there bothers me, but I guess b/c I have only done granite when we were building a house so I truly have NO idea what it costs to go out and select granite counter tops. Thanks -- you have made me feel better. :)

Do you have a budget in mind? I'd just tell them that, at the outset. I think they'd rather know then try and try to sell you more then you want. It's a better use of everyone's time.

My budget is: I'd like this for free.......:001_huh:........oh........I can't have it for free? Then, I'd like it for almost free. Honestly -- on items like this, I want the absolute rock bottom lowest price and then I want that price cut in half.

I would just look like a cheapskate and tell them I wanted to spend as little as possible - is there a way I can get discounted materials? :D I might be able to do that -- I would have to start getting my nerve up today.

Thank you to everyone -- I feel less silly about this. Mariann

Granite guys are hurting right now. I've been told that they make most of their money on fabrication - not on the actual stone.

Since you only need a small piece just if they think you could fit in a remnant piece. The guys around here are always excited to find one that fits!

My budget is: I'd like this for free.......:001_huh:........oh........I can't have it for free? Then, I'd like it for almost free. Honestly -- on items like this, I want the absolute rock bottom lowest price and then I want that price cut in half.

I would just look like a cheapskate and tell them I wanted to spend as little as possible - is there a way I can get discounted materials? :D I might be able to do that -- I would have to start getting my nerve up today.

Thank you to everyone -- I feel less silly about this. Mariann

I would just say, "Look - I don't need a 10-yard-continuous-length slab. I just need two four-foot sections and I wouldn't even mind if there was a seam between them. If there is a suitable piece among your salvage pieces, I'd be happy to consider your lowest rock-bottom price cut in half on that." :)

But I think I KWYM when you're out of your element. I have felt like that with pricing building materials.

When dh and I were building our house, we went to a tile company that my SIL had used on their house. Only they had this ridiculous pricing policy. They did not display their prices. If you wanted to get a price on any tile, they wrote up a quote sheet! It was completely absurd! So, there might be ten different tiles that were all pretty much the same style that worked for us, but until you hassled the salesperson to write you out a quote sheet, you couldn't make a comparison. It was so silly! After our fourth quote sheet, I looked at dh and said quietly, "Honey, this is crazy. We have no efficient way of comparing prices. This isn't working for me." He agreed.

I would just flat out ask how much the remnant pieces cost. I would not tell them how much you have to spend. This is the same advice given for people buying used cars. If you say you have $8000 to spend - coincidentally they have this car for $7999 just marked down from $12000 too, of course - so you want to GRAB it while it's hot!

You can always measure your kitchen and the slabs yourself as well!

Always upbeat and with a smile! :) You're not out to deceive anyone either, just get the best price!

I also would call other places and ask for equivalent prices. Even if you're calling somewhere two hours away. Just get some ideas for a ballpark range. Should it be $200 or $2000?

Does your county have a "salvage yard"?

Our county recycling center has BUILDING items for sale at rock bottom prices. When builders in the county are done building their house or business, they can bring their leftover supplies there and pay a more minimal unloading fee. Anything that's still in quality condition gets resold and the profits go to the center.

Nothing is labeled, so you need to know the sizes you need for things, and go prepared with a measuring tape in hand.

And of course, it's always hit and miss as to what supplies are there - but I'd think a smaller piece of stone would be easier to come by than some other things.

Good luck!

When dh and I were building our house, we went to a tile company that my SIL had used on their house. Only they had this ridiculous pricing policy. They did not display their prices. If you wanted to get a price on any tile, they wrote up a quote sheet! It was completely absurd! So, there might be ten different tiles that were all pretty much the same style that worked for us, but until you hassled the salesperson to write you out a quote sheet, you couldn't make a comparison. It was so silly! After our fourth quote sheet, I looked at dh and said quietly, "Honey, this is crazy. We have no efficient way of comparing prices. This isn't working for me." He agreed.

Now, that would make me nuts. Not only do I NOT want to spend a penny more than I have to......I don't want to spend a minute more on this than I have to. Efficiency is key. And, yes, I would want to see ten different of whatever they have b/c that's just me.

Mariann

I would just flat out ask how much the remnant pieces cost. I would not tell them how much you have to spend. This is the same advice given for people buying used cars. If you say you have $8000 to spend - coincidentally they have this car for $7999 just marked down from $12000 too, of course - so you want to GRAB it while it's hot!

You can always measure your kitchen and the slabs yourself as well!

Always upbeat and with a smile! :) You're not out to deceive anyone either, just get the best price!

I also would call other places and ask for equivalent prices. Even if you're calling somewhere two hours away. Just get some ideas for a ballpark range. Should it be $200 or $2000?

Nah, I would never tell them how much I have to spend -- I usually do in all honesty tell them if they ask, that I want it for free. :001_huh: They are coming to my house on Wednesday so they will see for themselves that we are talking not alot of granite here. And, two hours away here is no big deal -- at the wrong time of day, two hours away can be 10 miles away:lol:. Mariann

Does your county have a "salvage yard"?

Our county recycling center has BUILDING items for sale at rock bottom prices. When builders in the county are done building their house or business, they can bring their leftover supplies there and pay a more minimal unloading fee. Anything that's still in quality condition gets resold and the profits go to the center.

Nothing is labeled, so you need to know the sizes you need for things, and go prepared with a measuring tape in hand.

And of course, it's always hit and miss as to what supplies are there - but I'd think a smaller piece of stone would be easier to come by than some other things.

Good luck!

We do have a salvage yard - 'the dump' as it is called. DH has been there -- I'll ask him if he thinks that kind of stuff is there. Good idea. Mariann

We do have a salvage yard - 'the dump' as it is called. DH has been there -- I'll ask him if he thinks that kind of stuff is there. Good idea. Mariann

You might also check with Habitat for Humanity, they accept donations of building materials and then sell them at a thrift store type of thing

We went to one to look and they had ALL SORTS of things, doors, windows, molding, counters, tiles, bricks...all sorts of things. Some really nice things...super nice and then some Trash Cans holders with "Thank You" swinging doors from fast food restaurants. :lol: I was tempted to get one for laundry. :lol:

http://www.habitat.org/env/restores.aspx

Edited by Sis

You might also check with Habitat for Humanity, they accept donations of building materials and then sell them at a thrift store type of thing

We went to one to look and they had ALL SORTS of things, doors, windows, molding, counters, tiles, bricks...all sorts of things. Some really nice things...super nice and then some like Trash Cans with "Thank You" swinging doors from fast food restaurants. :lol: I was tempted to get one for laundry. :lol:

You must be reading my mind -- we have a place just up the road here from the hotel where we are staying and I thought I'd take a run up there tomorrow -- I've always been curious about that place -- good opportunity to check it out. Thanks -- Mariann:)

You must be reading my mind -- we have a place just up the road here from the hotel where we are staying and I thought I'd take a run up there tomorrow -- I've always been curious about that place -- good opportunity to check it out. Thanks -- Mariann:)

You are just pining for a giant "Thank You" trashcan aren't you? :lol:

You are just pining for a giant "Thank You" trashcan aren't you? :lol:

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH........................... I don't want anyone to know.....you know, in case there is just one...........I WANT to be the one who gets it. I should probably leave now and be the first one there tomorrow, just in case:lol:.:leaving:

Mariann

My understanding is that getting it in tiled squares is much cheaper than getting it in a slab. I have seen it done where it looks very beautiful in tiled squares too. Not sure if that is an option for you but thought I would let you know, just in case.

I would definitely let them know you are looking for a "great deal" and you are willing to be creative. On one HGTV show I saw, they got a great deal on marble counter tops for a kitchen redo. The marble had fallen off a truck and some of it had been damaged. The parts they used looked perfect and nobody would ever know.

You never know until you ask and they would like to sell even the smallest bits, even for cheaper prices, than to get nothing.

We went to one to look and they had ALL SORTS of things, doors, windows, molding, counters, tiles, bricks...all sorts of things. Some really nice things...super nice and then some Trash Cans holders with "Thank You" swinging doors from fast food restaurants. :lol: I was tempted to get one for laundry. :lol:

:iagree:I'd do this first.

My budget is: I'd like this for free.......:001_huh:........oh........I can't have it for free? Then, I'd like it for almost free.

I have done this--say "is it free?" :D Although I seriously would like it for free, I understand it won't be, but it lets them know I really, really need a good deal or it won't work. I've had salespeople call me about renewing services, like AAA or zoo membership, and I'll say, "is it free?" They say no, and I say, sorry, can't afford that (these would be cases where we really did decide not to renew, not cases where we knew we were going to buy, such as in your case--but they'd see that you're looking for less expensive materials).

I suggest you check craigslist for your town & search for granite countertop. We have lots of dealers posting on ours & listing their linear foot prices for the materials. It will give you an idea of the going cheapie prices & then when you're calling you can say you're looking for something at XX price for material or lower & THEN, compare the prices for installation & the edge finishes etc. I think that's where you'll see the diff in prices b/n companies.

I'm just starting this for my bathrooms & it's a bit of a pita. From what I'm hearing, you do want to be careful with the installation because if it's not done right, it will look like crap. Also be sure to find out if they're including sealing or whatever surface treatments are appropriate for the material in their quotes.

best wishes

eta - remember too that stone countertop material comes in different thicknesses so make sure they're quoting you same thickness so you're not comparing apples & oranges. You can use thin material & put a wide lip on the front to fake the thickness for instance. The nice thing about some of the major stones is that they're the same so you can ask for Ubatuba (I like this mainly for the name LOL) or Blue Galaxy or Kashmir White & they will know what you mean & have exactly that same stone.

Edited by hornblower

My understanding is that getting it in tiled squares is much cheaper than getting it in a slab. I have seen it done where it looks very beautiful in tiled squares too. Not sure if that is an option for you but thought I would let you know, just in case.

I would definitely let them know you are looking for a "great deal" and you are willing to be creative. On one HGTV show I saw, they got a great deal on marble counter tops for a kitchen redo. The marble had fallen off a truck and some of it had been damaged. The parts they used looked perfect and nobody would ever know.

You never know until you ask and they would like to sell even the smallest bits, even for cheaper prices, than to get nothing.

I saw THAT episode and I loved what they did! Mariann:001_smile:

I suggest you check craigslist for your town & search for granite countertop. We have lots of dealers posting on ours & listing their linear foot prices for the materials. It will give you an idea of the going cheapie prices & then when you're calling you can say you're looking for something at XX price for material or lower & THEN, compare the prices for installation & the edge finishes etc. I think that's where you'll see the diff in prices b/n companies.

I'm just starting this for my bathrooms & it's a bit of a pita. From what I'm hearing, you do want to be careful with the installation because if it's not done right, it will look like crap. Also be sure to find out if they're including sealing or whatever surface treatments are appropriate for the material in their quotes.

best wishes

eta - remember too that stone countertop material comes in different thicknesses so make sure they're quoting you same thickness so you're not comparing apples & oranges. You can use thin material & put a wide lip on the front to fake the thickness for instance. The nice thing about some of the major stones is that they're the same so you can ask for Ubatuba (I like this mainly for the name LOL) or Blue Galaxy or Kashmir White & they will know what you mean & have exactly that same stone.

Thanks! Somewhere in my 'granite files' I know this about names and thinkness (we have had Santa Cecilia which looks like crumbled chocolate chip cookie dough so we call it the cookie dough granite, and Ubatuba was a favorite in another house).

Mariann PS: Hb, Guidry has asked us why we 'lied' on our Rescue adoption form and said we lived in a house with a yard as we are STILL in the hotel --- poor pooch has now been here in the hotel with us twice as long as he lived in our house. :drool:

:iagree:I'd do this first.

I'm going today BUT the TRASH CAn/laundry hamper is MINE if you get there first! :lol:

Whose installing it? My installers got me a deal.

:001_huh: -- Haven't even thought of that -- thanks for bringing it up -- I'm sure our appliance guy or cabinet guy has someone. This was all SO unplanned.

I have done this--say "is it free?" :D Although I seriously would like it for free, I understand it won't be, but it lets them know I really, really need a good deal or it won't work. I've had salespeople call me about renewing services, like AAA or zoo membership, and I'll say, "is it free?" They say no, and I say, sorry, can't afford that (these would be cases where we really did decide not to renew, not cases where we knew we were going to buy, such as in your case--but they'd see that you're looking for less expensive materials).

I have asked 'is it free?' in other situations -- I will get my nerve up to do that and many of the other suggestions here. I just HATE to do it in areas where I am behind the learning curve. KWIM? :001_smile:

Yup - I do know about the installation and the seam stuff and sealing, etc. and I agree - all of this is a PITA!

Mariann

Hi Marianne--

My son volunteered at the Habitat for Humanity Restore on US 1 (just up the street about 20 minutes from us). Some people have the impression that it's left over stuff from building the Habitat houses ("giant trashcan with Thank you on it") lol, but it's much more than that. Builder's surplus kinda thing. Don't know if they have granite, but you could call and ask. They have just about every other piece that goes into a house, from sinks to tile to vanities to switches. It's pretty amazing what they cram into their space.

My favorite phrase:

Is that the best price you can offer me?

It's so much easier to phrase it this way than to say "I was hoping to spend less" or "I can't afford that do you have something cheaper".

Works for everything, from rental cars to granite countertops to the guy selling oranges at the farmer's market. If they say yes that's the best I can do, then I have to decide to either pay what they asked or shop elsewhere (and it's equally amazing how often "Thank you, I think I'll shop around first" as you walk towards the exit will elicit a "wellllll"). But, you'd be amazed how often that simple phrase gets me a discount....sometimes small 5-10%, but other times, they'll offer perhaps a different product (like your "left overs" in the yard) for huge discounts. I've also had (almost always in the case of the farmer's market) them offer to throw in something extra for the same price.

One caution on "left overs" and "seconds".....make sure they carry the same warranty against defects, especially for something like tile and granite. I know my friend who has installed tile for decades recommends against those discount tile places because they are often seconds with tiny flaws which eventually will leak and a few years from now you'll end up with mold because of the water that got through the tiles....and of course, you can't blame the tile after all that time. Flaws in granite of course won't cause those types of problems, but cracks forming because of a second with a stress-point can mean expensive repairs or replacement much sooner than you're ready to redecorate.

My favorite phrase:

Is that the best price you can offer me?

It's so much easier to phrase it this way than to say "I was hoping to spend less" or "I can't afford that do you have something cheaper".

Works for everything, from rental cars to granite countertops to the guy selling oranges at the farmer's market. If they say yes that's the best I can do, then I have to decide to either pay what they asked or shop elsewhere (and it's equally amazing how often "Thank you, I think I'll shop around first" as you walk towards the exit will elicit a "wellllll"). But, you'd be amazed how often that simple phrase gets me a discount....sometimes small 5-10%, but other times, they'll offer perhaps a different product (like your "left overs" in the yard) for huge discounts. I've also had (almost always in the case of the farmer's market) them offer to throw in something extra for the same price.

One caution on "left overs" and "seconds".....make sure they carry the same warranty against defects, especially for something like tile and granite. I know my friend who has installed tile for decades recommends against those discount tile places because they are often seconds with tiny flaws which eventually will leak and a few years from now you'll end up with mold because of the water that got through the tiles....and of course, you can't blame the tile after all that time. Flaws in granite of course won't cause those types of problems, but cracks forming because of a second with a stress-point can mean expensive repairs or replacement much sooner than you're ready to redecorate.

Thank you -- that is an excellent way to phrase 'that' question. And, thanks for the info about the left overs and seconds -- I NEVER want to deal with MOLD again. Mariann:001_smile:

I'm guessing that the granite guy has heard people say they want their kitchens to look as good as possible for as little money as possible before.

Yup -- suffice to say, I would imagine he is expecting me to ask if it can be done for less......much less. And, thanks -- I actually hadn't thought that of that.:)

Mariann

Yup -- suffice to say, I would imagine he is expecting me to ask if it can be done for less......much less. And, thanks -- I actually hadn't thought that of that.:)

Mariann

See that always makes me wonder....is it like used car salesmen....or garage sales.....they always start out with a much higher price than they want so they have room for the hagglers, and they make a bigger profit off those who just accept the first price quote?

Sigh....why can't everybody just charge the same price for the same product everywhere, then I don't have to shop around or haggle over price or even ask for a discount. My shopping utopia would be to go to a website and type in the produce I want, find who has it in stock and since everyone's price is the same shop where CUSTOMER SERVICE is best...or whoever was closest, lol. Can you tell I hate shopping?

See that always makes me wonder....is it like used car salesmen....or garage sales.....they always start out with a much higher price than they want so they have room for the hagglers, and they make a bigger profit off those who just accept the first price quote?

Sigh....why can't everybody just charge the same price for the same product everywhere, then I don't have to shop around or haggle over price or even ask for a discount. My shopping utopia would be to go to a website and type in the produce I want, find who has it in stock and since everyone's price is the same shop where CUSTOMER SERVICE is best...or whoever was closest, lol. Can you tell I hate shopping?

You see, that is why I love on-line shopping, I think. I just don't want to deal with 'people.' Something like, 'I love shopping; it's the shop-people that I hate.' You get the idea.

Mariann

My shopping utopia would be to go to a website and type in the produce I want, find who has it in stock and since everyone's price is the same shop where CUSTOMER SERVICE is best...or whoever was closest, lol. Can you tell I hate shopping?

I'm with you on this!

A PP suggested it and I wanted to second it....granite tiles with barely noticable grout lines..A good friend of mine did this in their beautiful home and it was very cost effective. (her husband installed it so even better). Her home is very high end and they just sold it for a ton of money (pricing here in AR wouldn't make sense to you compared to NOVA but they made a good profit.)

I'm with you on this!

A PP suggested it and I wanted to second it....granite tiles with barely noticable grout lines..A good friend of mine did this in their beautiful home and it was very cost effective. (her husband installed it so even better). Her home is very high end and they just sold it for a ton of money (pricing here in AR wouldn't make sense to you compared to NOVA but they made a good profit.)

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA..........I want to move to AR! We could be friends in IRL and we could buy a fabulous house that didn't cost our lungs......and the kids lungs.......and the dog's :drool5: lungs!

I have thought of the granite tiles......and that is going to be a question I bring up on Wednesday with the granite guy. I also LOVE silestone and it wouldn't take much to push me in that direction......well, an unbelievable low price on granite would keep me from going to silestone. :lol:

Right now, i have returned from taking a look at a fridge that I thought was counter-depth...the manufacturer says it's counter-depth......the tape measure says it isn't, so my fridge plans are all :willy_nilly:.

I bought the kids a rubbermaid container each and I have tasked them to begin packing up the stuff they have brought here to the hotel. I don't know why I am doing this......as far as I know we are extended here till the end of January.......I guess I need to do something that hints at moving forward. Can't wait to see DH's face when I tell him we are spending the weekend getting stuff listed and sold on Craigslist and other stuff put at the curb. I cannot walk into that house anymore and have it be the disaster that it is. And, I feel like a b*tch complaining when I think of those poor people in Haiti. Bad day here. :( Mariann

Hi Marianne--

My son volunteered at the Habitat for Humanity Restore on US 1 (just up the street about 20 minutes from us). Some people have the impression that it's left over stuff from building the Habitat houses ("giant trashcan with Thank you on it") lol, but it's much more than that. Builder's surplus kinda thing. Don't know if they have granite, but you could call and ask. They have just about every other piece that goes into a house, from sinks to tile to vanities to switches. It's pretty amazing what they cram into their space.

Yup, that's what it's called - RESTORE. They have one here in Chantilly about 1/2 mile from the hotel just off Route 50. I am definitely headed there when I am sans les petites enfants...maybe tomorrow.

Mariann

Edited by MariannNOVA

Hi Marianne--

They accept donations so lots of people or business donate things in order to get the tax break.

They take *apart* houses if people are doing demolitions Habitat for Humanity will go in and take the house apart piece by piece and then sell it.

I was pretty amazed by what they had.