Menu

Hand washing for someone with severe eczema?

My dd has severe eczema. It has been much worse lately due to the winter weather and hand washing is making it even worse. Germ-X is even worse than hand washing. When she is at home, I have her wipe her hands with aloe baby wipes and then put lotion on plus we have been using her medicated cream. However, this is not a practical when she is at school and I am trying to come up with a better solution. Anyone have any recommendations? What do you do when you are away from home and your hands have reached the cracked and bleeding stage?

I know that oatmeal is good for skin, maybe an oatmeal soap and she can carry it in a bag with to wash with. Then perhaps a lotion that she can use. My doctor has eczema and she said she used Aquafor all the time. Being a doctor she washes her hands a dozen (at least) a day. I bought some but after looking at the ingredients it is mostly petroleum jelly (Vaseline) so we just buy generic now.

My daughter and son have eczema just not on the hands, we use hydrocortizone (sp?) and that helps.

Poor baby, hopefully she can get some relief:grouphug:

:grouphug::grouphug:

Sigh...have we had the problems with hand soap around here! All 3 of my kids were severely allergic to the school soap so I just sent a large pump bottle of the soap I knew they could handle to school. When they didn't have a bathroom off the classroom they (or the teacher when they were younger) just took it along with them. If the restroom was off the classroom the soap was kept there. Sometimes other kids would use it but it was worth the extra cost--much cheaper than doctor visits. I would think wipes would be even easier to send in or keep in her pocket.

Cetaphil is a very gentle cleanser that you can either rinse off with water or wipe off. I keep a pump bottle in the bathroom next to our regular soap for those of us with hand problems (which right now is 2 of the 5 of us).

Kidshappen,

Our hands get rough and cracked every winter, and DD had bad eczema. We switched to Dr. Bronner's Castile soap for hand soap, and it made a BIG difference. When she's out, she uses other soaps and lotion afterwards, but the Dr. Bronner's makes such a difference on a daily basis that her hands don't get bad.

We put the Unscented Baby Castile Soap in a pump in her bathroom. Then we have shea butter to put on afterwards. Trader Joe's sells the Dr. Bronner's for much less than anyone including Amazon, and it goes a long way because you only need a drop.

We order pure shea butter from Amazon to apply after washing hands when out (or in).

Can she carry a small bottle of lotion in her pocket to apply after washing hands?

I have found lotion rather useless for *severe* eczema. Can she carry one of those little tubes

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp17010_333181_sespider/neutrogena_norwegian_formula/hand_cream_fragrance_free.htm

and use after each use. Emollients at bedtime and comfy cotton socks over the hands, in a COOL, not hot and dry room can help.

Can she use this

http://health-beauty.pricegrabber.com/body-cleansers/Medline-Remedy-4-1-Hair-Foam-9-oz-Bottle/m27924239.html

instead of soap? I have had superb luck with this. You can practically gargle with it. Dozens of my patients get their itchy rashes under control by substituting this for soap.

HTH

Something I've found recently that I love is coconut oil. I use it as a lotion on my hands, face everywhere!!! Mine's much better now, but you need to figure out what soap is causing this! I'm allergic to Dial soap. I can only use Palmolive dish soap and even that I wash dishes very little! I have one child allergic to every kind of laundry soap except Tide and though as a child I was allergic to only Cheer.

Hope you find some relief. I love my coconut oil! (buy the organic, though so you know it's pure).

Tiffani

Cetaphil is a very gentle cleanser that you can either rinse off with water or wipe off. I keep a pump bottle in the bathroom next to our regular soap for those of us with hand problems (which right now is 2 of the 5 of us).

Mine all used this when they were younger and had eczema problems.

My poor DD8 has this too. She has to use lotion after every hand washing and in between too, to keep from a flair up. If she forgets, we are in trouble. It's not easy to wash and dry cracked, red, burning hands. Poor thing.....:sad: I am gratefull for the Cetaphil soap idea. I'll be getting some of that on my next Walmart run.

At school can she just use water and skip the soap? Unless, she really gets messy hands a rinse and light rub would probably remove most of what is on her hands. Then when she gets home, she can wash with whatever you find appropriate.

Yes you need to use something to moisturize, but it starts with HOW you wash your hands. Water cannot be too hot or too cold. To dry, pat, don't rub. Soaps can be very drying, so be cautious about what you use. Cream rather than lotion applied when hands are still damp will help to seal in the moisture. And certainly, a special treatment at night will help as well. with a covering of cotton gloves or socks.

I carried my own soap and cream for years starting in high school. I should again, but I keep trying to LIGHTEN my bag.

At school can she just use water and skip the soap? Unless, she really gets messy hands a rinse and light rub would probably remove most of what is on her hands. Then when she gets home, she can wash with whatever you find appropriate.

This was my idea along with using a paper towels to open the doors, flush and use the faucets and I so wish she would do this but she informed me that, "Eww, that is just gross, mom!" Apparently, she thinks I am gross because that's what I do and then I carry wipes in my purse to use. I have to admit that I sometimes get weird looks from strangers but I don't really care.

She, on the other hand, is very self-concious about this so she doesn't want to do anything that sets her apart from her friends but the industrial strength soaps that they have at school certainly aren't working for her. I think I will see about finding one of the small hand cleansers and hand creams mentioned here and have her take it to school with her.

We have tried Aquaphor, Ceaphil and Eucerin creams and they all burn her skin if it is already inflammed. Her medicated cream is the only one that doesn't hurt once the skin is already raw. Plain water doesn't bother her but almost any soap, lotion or cream does. So when we are at home I have her wipe with wipes and then apply her medicated cream. I will check out some of the other suggestions here and see if any of those work. Thanks all.

We have tried Aquaphor, Ceaphil and Eucerin creams and they all burn her skin if it is already inflammed. Her medicated cream is the only one that doesn't hurt once the skin is already raw. Plain water doesn't bother her but almost any soap, lotion or cream does. So when we are at home I have her wipe with wipes and then apply her medicated cream. I will check out some of the other suggestions here and see if any of those work. Thanks all.

Good luck with the search, I tried to get my hands on an oil/soap sold only in Europe and Canada one time, but cost made it almost impossible, and a secure supply failed. Some tips that helped us:

Pediatrician info (4-5 of them) always included keeping bath moisture IN the skin (rubbing grease on, while moisture still in the skin, incl. Crisco, incl. while still in the tub! What fun, and what a mess, a greasy pig!) When it was painful, bleeding and the tiny tubes of cream just weren't helping, the emergency treatment was bathing in lukewarm water, incl oatmeal is fun, incl. baby oil or olive oil (smelly) or mineral oil, if you want. Put thin layer of prescription cream, then another layer of heavy grease (Vaseline, A&D were faves here, and never burned or stung) Put heavy blanket on bed then take large, thin towels, and soak in water (rinse out all leftover detergent and fab softener if any), ring out the wet towels and lay over body, arms, legs....then pile on more blankets...go to sleep. Check in mid night if room gets cool and roll the heavy blanket, wet towels and any other wet blankets out from under...or move to dry bed. This wet-dressing will heal my son up for a good while....

A&D ointment comes in pound tubs and off-brands, and for some reason, was a bit more healing than any other grease. NO lotions ever helped at all....stung, hurt. I had lovely, soft hands when he used to let me help "grease up", when he was younger. Thin layer of the prescription creams, covered with thicker layer of grease kept the active stuff on longer. Thin, sparing use of presciption creams to help delay the thinning of skin. For open cracks I would put a tiny dab of antibiotic cream, (then prescription cream around those areas, then top it all with A&D) so the "greasing up" ritual was a time-consuming chore.

Last tip (sorry to write so long, but this contributed to my pulling him out of school, and we have access to some of the best pediatricians and dermatologists around): send the Wal-Mart knockoff of Cetaphil cleanser or ______ (can't remember the other one) that are supposed to be wiped onto hands, then can be wiped off with paper towel (Viva are the softest in the world imho) without water, which is too astringent ever for these kids with bleeding, cracking hands. These lotion cleansers say you can rub on, then wipe off, and adult exzema patients do that in lieu of bathing.....my kid wants water. Okay, the tip is this: buy a bottle of that, cheapest you can, and ask school teacher if it can be put by the sink in the classroom, for your child to use when everyone else is standing in line to wash up, using another soap, or standing in line at the door to use the alcohol stuff. Tell teacher you're fine if other kids try it out, and you'll get more, so it does not create a big thing for her to deal with....this worked for us in pre-school and thru fifth grade...couple other kids needed to do the same so we parents rotated who got the stuff.....

Another last tip: the mildest, non-stinging actual soap (detergent) for body and hair use, we found to be the Aveeno Oatmeal baby wash. Second best (my kid is 13 now, so won't take baby wash with him) is the Aveeno oatmeal wash....it gives nice lather like real soaps but seems least drying.....when he really wants to use that kind of thing.

Hope some of the long writing helps.

E-mail me if you wish,

Larkin

PS When he was younger and we just needed large tubs to spread on and it needed to be medicated, the dermatologist would prescribe a cream that the pharmacist would compound, using Aquaphor as base....so we could really get it spread all over....but he needed stronger meds about three years later. It was great while it was working, though. I can send you the recipe, if you wish.

Edited by LBS
bad spelling, missing words

Something I've found recently that I love is coconut oil. I use it as a lotion on my hands, face everywhere!!!

Hope you find some relief. I love my coconut oil! (buy the organic, though so you know it's pure).

Tiffani

:iagree:

Coconut oil is definitely amazing. My kids are asian and their skin can be horrible in the winter. Coconut oil is the only thing that has really helped. Really lather it on--it sinks in quickly, but your hands might be a little greasy for a minute or two. I use nutriva cold pressed organic--most big grocery stores carry it in the health food section.

Tori

My dd is the same exact way. Try the babywash by Johnson and Johson. All of her cuts are healed and she is now washing w/o any burning. This is the only thing that works for her in winter.

You can buy Bag Balm in a small cube-chaped container about 1-inch square which fits nicely into a purse. This stuff doesn't hurt even when crammed into open splits on fingertips - which is what I do when my fingers get those bleeding splits. In fact, it provides instant pain relief. And it's cheap. I get the large containers of it from Wal Mart in the animal sections, or from Southern States. Stinks, but who cares when you're in pain, eh?

I also use "Aveeno Stress Relief Moisturizing Lotion" for daily upkeep to prevent the skin from getting to the splitting point. One small squirt several times a day will usually do it - especially after doing anything involving water. (Our water is brutal.)

Before going down to town, if I already have the splits, I put a glob of Bag Balm on the split; cram some down into it with a Q-tip; and then 'seal' it up with a few band-aids. This way I can still wash hands fairly well. (To avoid the cost of the band-aids, when I'm at home this is what I do. I take a kleenex and scotch tape and put a glob on the split and make a cheap band-aid by folding the kleenex twice, wrapping it around the finger, and taping it with scotch tape. I usually do this when I'm reading.)

Generally, though, I just try to take preventive measures. I open doors with my arms vs my hands; or I back into them; or I use a paper towel or wear my gloves or use my book bag to open them, etc. I make a conscious effort NEVER to touch my face with my hands when out. I cover my mouth and nose with my shirt or jacket and look away when flushing public toilets. And I never eat with my hands when out. And the first thing I do when I step inside the house is scub my hands up past the wrists (we use library computers). Also, I have developed the habit of noticing people who look/act sick and turning my face away; or turning my back to them (esp. children who don't know to cover their mouths); or moving out of their line of cough/sneeze/wheeze. I even notice the checkout people at the library and stores to avoid the sick ones. I once went through the line at Wal Mart with an obviously sick employee licking her fingers to open every, single bag she was tossing my groceries into. Yuk.

All this may sound a little paranoid, but it's served us well. All 7 of us haven't even had so much as a cold since early last winter. (I've taught - and insisted - all dc do the same things.)

I don't usually put lotion on my hands when in town, however. It seems like it would just allow the germs to 'stick' to it. Just my own kooky thinking there.

Also, an interesting side note. I never, ever have these kinds of problems at the beach or when down South along the Gulf states. I only began having these splits when I started moving north ... NC, VA, etc. I think a lot of it has to do with the water itself.

Anyway, I was thinking if she can remember to absolutely keep her hands away from her face and be vigilant with preventive measures ... maybe she could avoid so much washing until she can get where she can use better soaps and lotion.

HTH

Kathy

Edited by ksva

My mother has severe eczema on both her hands and feet and has tried everything to no avail. One tip that has helped her cope is to superglue those painful splits together. She says that it does not burn at all ~she does keep her hands and feet still for about 15 min afterward to allow the glue to "set". She was unable to use the liquid bandage stuff because it burned her so badly. She was told to do this by her dermatologist.

Edited by luvbnhome2

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried just about everything (every lotion on the market, coconut oil, honey, oatmeal, olive oil, lecithin, etc.). Much to the chagrin of my dermatologist and physician, nothing worked. I had moderate success with a homemade lotion of pure beeswax, elder flower water, and almond oil.

Then I started breastfeeding and discovered lanolin. Only pure lanolin (the very same you might use for relieving the cracking of early breastfeeding) has worked for me. It is REMARKABLE. It's thick, gooey,:tongue_smilie: and MAGICAL! :D Have her apply it at night after washing her hands in warm water. Apply as little as possible. Warming it up helps you apply it without tugging at the skin. After her hands heal, using a small amount every morning and night to keep the skin healthy. Coconut oil, Alba moisturizer, and other natural moisturizers may help KEEP the skin in good condition, after it has healed.

(It's also a magic cure for diaper rash. The rash is gone in hours!)

Don't buy the pharmaceutical tube of lanolin. Get the type found in the baby/nursing mother aisle-- in the purple tube.

Good luck! I know what works for one person may not work for another. You now have plenty of ideas to try, at least!

I don't know if my dd12 had eczema or not, but for years soap has made her hands raw and read. The only soap I have found that does not do this to her is Bath and Body "Moisturizing" soaps. She's tried lotions from the dermatologists and other things, but for her it seems as simple as using this brand soap. It's fairly easy to get, often on sale, and smells good, too.

I would recommend switching to a natural soap, such as a handmade soap, and consider some that have ingredients that are helpful to eczema. Oatmeal may help. I don't know enough about herbs to say what else is good. If I were you I'd research it, ask an herbalist or a homeopathic doctor.

I say natural soap as some of the chemicals in grocery store and drug store soaps can be very drying. When I switched to using my homemade oatmeal soap from natural ingredients in the shower I stopped having to use body lotion daily! I realized the factory chemical soaps were drying my skin and requiring use of body and hand lotions. Now isn't that nuts? One storebought product use requires the use of another?

(You can buy homemade soaps if you don't want to make them yourself. I'm too cheap to buy them though, one bar of my oatmeal soap costs me 33 cents and it's over $5 in stores around here.)

For cracked skin ointments are good, I recommend natural ones with comfrey but those are not good for use during school.

Seems anything with alcohol in it like a Purell should be avoided as that dries the skin out.

Also getting to the root of this seems imperative. Have you fully investigated that a food may be causing this reaction? Eczema is often tied to a food reaction and if the food is eliminated the person often heals completely. Wouldn't that be nice?

I cannot use any lotion any longer, and have to wash with just ivory. When I go out, I just wash with water unless I get really yucky, then I'll use a bit of soap.

Before I got allergic to all lotions, I found that slathering a lotion on my hands and putting on cotton gloves before going to sleep made the problem much better in the morning.

I can only use plain Ivory soap, and I have to carry it with me in a baggie if I'm going to be out anywhere that uses antibacterial soaps.

For me, Antibacterial soaps are the trigger and everything else after that irritates them worse. Mine do get to the cracked, dry and and bleeding stage and I use band aids (non-latex, since I am allergic) and I will also wear leather or wool gloves or mittens.

Protecting my hands from extreme temperatures has also helped some. If I have to use antibacterial soap out of necessity, I'll use just a bit of soap on my fingertips and palms and try to get it off my hands ASAP, think less than five seconds. If I don't I can expect problems within 24 hours.

As a nurse who is also an eczema sufferer here is my (and my dermatologists) advice:

1. DO NOT USE HAND SANITIZER!! Sorry for the caps, but it is that important. It contains alcohol and will make matters worse.

2. Do not use soap. Cetaphil bar (not the antibacterial) is what I use at home. At work I use plain water and what is in the dispenser before and after patient contact. I wash my hand 100s of times a day, but here is another important thing.

3. DO NOT USE LOTIONS. Lotions contain alcohol. Read the ingredients. It is what makes them stay liquid. Instead use CeraVe Cream twice a day minimum. In the morning and at night. Within 90 seconds of getting out of the shower (whenever this is). All over. I also put a little in a pot and keep it in my pocket to use at work.

4. Do not use liquid soap at all. Ever. It contains alcohol. If I have choice, I use my own bar of Cetaphil, but then again, I wash my hands 100s of times a day so mine is more of a worse case scenario.

My eczema drove me nuts for years until I finally got the correct information. I thought I was doing the right thing by buying things like Fisherman's Friend and Bag Balm and such, but what I was really doing was only making it worse. My hands would blister and peel not to mention itch and hurt horribly. Of course they were worse than the rest of my body, but not by much.

CeraVe has been a lifesaver.

Oh, and NO, NO, NO to the gloves. The powder will make this TERRIBLE. And you definitely do not want to introduce latex to already inflamed skin. Eczema is a type of auto-immune response and your just asking for a reaction with the latex. I also have a latex allergy.

I picked a wonderful line of work, huh?:tongue_smilie:

Good luck with the search, I tried to get my hands on an oil/soap sold only in Europe and Canada one time, but cost made it almost impossible, and a secure supply failed. Some tips that helped us:

Pediatrician info (4-5 of them) always included keeping bath moisture IN the skin (rubbing grease on, while moisture still in the skin, incl. Crisco, incl. while still in the tub! What fun, and what a mess, a greasy pig!) When it was painful, bleeding and the tiny tubes of cream just weren't helping, the emergency treatment was bathing in lukewarm water, incl oatmeal is fun, incl. baby oil or olive oil (smelly) or mineral oil, if you want. Put thin layer of prescription cream, then another layer of heavy grease (Vaseline, A&D were faves here, and never burned or stung) Put heavy blanket on bed then take large, thin towels, and soak in water (rinse out all leftover detergent and fab softener if any), ring out the wet towels and lay over body, arms, legs....then pile on more blankets...go to sleep. Check in mid night if room gets cool and roll the heavy blanket, wet towels and any other wet blankets out from under...or move to dry bed. This wet-dressing will heal my son up for a good while....

A&D ointment comes in pound tubs and off-brands, and for some reason, was a bit more healing than any other grease. NO lotions ever helped at all....stung, hurt. I had lovely, soft hands when he used to let me help "grease up", when he was younger. Thin layer of the prescription creams, covered with thicker layer of grease kept the active stuff on longer. Thin, sparing use of presciption creams to help delay the thinning of skin. For open cracks I would put a tiny dab of antibiotic cream, (then prescription cream around those areas, then top it all with A&D) so the "greasing up" ritual was a time-consuming chore.

Last tip (sorry to write so long, but this contributed to my pulling him out of school, and we have access to some of the best pediatricians and dermatologists around): send the Wal-Mart knockoff of Cetaphil cleanser or ______ (can't remember the other one) that are supposed to be wiped onto hands, then can be wiped off with paper towel (Viva are the softest in the world imho) without water, which is too astringent ever for these kids with bleeding, cracking hands. These lotion cleansers say you can rub on, then wipe off, and adult exzema patients do that in lieu of bathing.....my kid wants water. Okay, the tip is this: buy a bottle of that, cheapest you can, and ask school teacher if it can be put by the sink in the classroom, for your child to use when everyone else is standing in line to wash up, using another soap, or standing in line at the door to use the alcohol stuff. Tell teacher you're fine if other kids try it out, and you'll get more, so it does not create a big thing for her to deal with....this worked for us in pre-school and thru fifth grade...couple other kids needed to do the same so we parents rotated who got the stuff.....

Another last tip: the mildest, non-stinging actual soap (detergent) for body and hair use, we found to be the Aveeno Oatmeal baby wash. Second best (my kid is 13 now, so won't take baby wash with him) is the Aveeno oatmeal wash....it gives nice lather like real soaps but seems least drying.....when he really wants to use that kind of thing.

Hope some of the long writing helps.

E-mail me if you wish,

Larkin

PS When he was younger and we just needed large tubs to spread on and it needed to be medicated, the dermatologist would prescribe a cream that the pharmacist would compound, using Aquaphor as base....so we could really get it spread all over....but he needed stronger meds about three years later. It was great while it was working, though. I can send you the recipe, if you wish.

Thank you for posting this. As a mama with bad eczema, I will have to try this.

Another thing that may help at night time is honey. Rub organic honey all over her hands and put latex or rubber gloves over it for the night. Gently rinse in warm water in the morning.

I have been playing with this for my eczema and it is healing parts of it.