Menu

If you were going to buy 1 piece of exercise equipment....

For me it would be the TRX Suspension Trainer:

http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/

I have been lusting after the TRX for a year and my wonderful dh gave it to me for Christmas. I love this thing, it is so versatile.

I have a stationary bike and seldom use it. For me, I get bored with steady state cardio and either tend to skip it or slack off when I am doing it. I'm more likely to do videos or my own thing (like high intensity intervals with plyometric moves) rather than steady state cardio on an exercise machine.

A pull-up bar.

A good pair of shoes.

And, yeah, that yoga mat that Trixie mentioned.

:001_smile:

I've just started a "bodyweight exercise" approach, and I'm finding it really fun and rewarding. I do things like push-ups, pull-ups (okay, I can't even do one full pull-up yet, but I'm working on it!), squats, hanging leg raises (the pull-up bar is great for this), lunges, plank, bridge, etc. I find it rather freeing to not be using much equipment, actually. That probably doesn't make a lot of sense, but somehow it's just more fun. This is coming at the end of a year-long gym membership, though, so I guess the fact that it's different is in large part what makes it fun.

Weight/Resistance equipment isn't bad, but personally I find few things in life more mind-numbing than a treadmill, elliptical, rower, etc. I hate cardio equipment. That's why I mentioned the good pair of shoes -- don some trail shoes and head outdoors. That's what I've been doing. But I confess that's easy to do where I live. Lots of walking trails in the arroyos and foothills here.

For inspiration and ideas about bodyweight routines, check out the blog Mark's Daily Apple. He's got several videos that his readers have sent in that can give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Here's one example: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/intense-bodyweight-workout/

I love our recumbent bike that we are long term borrowing ;-) I have lost 10 inches on my hips! I have little hand weights to add in the upper body while pedaling. I am not a huge fan of exercise but when I don't wanna exercise I can still SIT and do the bike and get it done :-)

Wow, that is awesome! Congratulations!

Lately I am liking my bike with a bike trainer. I mean, I like my bike outside on a bike trail, but then I got the bike trainer so I can use it watching TV, too. I might prefer the treadmill if I had room to keep it in my living room where the TV is. But I don't.

For me it would be the TRX Suspension Trainer:

http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/

Oh My Goodness! I just watched the promo video at the website, and I think you're my new fitness hero if you can actually do that stuff!:cheers2:

Is it possible for a moderate exerciser to use this? I do Pilates, Zumba, and bootcamp classes, but I don't think I'd be strong enough to even begin with this piece of equipment. It looks like an amazing workout, though!

For me it would be the TRX Suspension Trainer

My husband bought one of these last year, and we have a mounting in our garage. The only problem is that it gets SOOOOOOO hot in there in the summer with the door closed (114 outside, so well, you know) and there's NO WAY I'm going to do it with the door open! :lol::lol:

He loves it. They have them set up at the Base fitness center and people are always using them.

well, if money were really no object I would get a housekeeper to live in (like Alice or Aunt Bee) who would do all the cleaning, shopping, et c. and then I could do whatever struck my fancy when ever I wanted. I find exercise equip boring, though I have a treadmill, so I'd opt for other cool things (like hiking, biking, et c.) that I always tell myself I don't have time for.

really.

I've just started a "bodyweight exercise" approach, and I'm finding it really fun and rewarding. I do things like push-ups, pull-ups (okay, I can't even do one full pull-up yet, but I'm working on it!), squats, hanging leg raises (the pull-up bar is great for this), lunges, plank, bridge, etc. I find it rather freeing to not be using much equipment, actually. That probably doesn't make a lot of sense, but somehow it's just more fun. This is coming at the end of a year-long gym membership, though, so I guess the fact that it's different is in large part what makes it fun.

For inspiration and ideas about bodyweight routines, check out the blog Mark's Daily Apple. He's got several videos that his readers have sent in that can give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Here's one example: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/intense-bodyweight-workout/

Greta,

It makes a lot of sense. I love to do body weight exercises versus equipment exercises. I have been following a website with daily workouts that I absolutely love that have intense bodyweight exercises. It is called bodyrock.tv It has short video clips demonstrating each of the exercises she performs. However, before anyone clicks over there I should warn you that she is a very fit, nice looking lady who likes to dress to show off her body;). Just a quick warning for those who might be offended.

Thanks for the link to Mark's Daily Apple. I am going to check it out to get some more ideas.

Oh My Goodness! I just watched the promo video at the website, and I think you're my new fitness hero if you can actually do that stuff!:cheers2:

Is it possible for a moderate exerciser to use this? I do Pilates, Zumba, and bootcamp classes, but I don't think I'd be strong enough to even begin with this piece of equipment. It looks like an amazing workout, though!

It is definitely possible for a moderate (or even beginner) to use this. The exercises are very adaptable to each fitness level. To adjust the difficulty you usually just adjust the angle you perform the exercise at. Other times you might change the position of your feet etc. Take a look at this link:

http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/trx-resources/trx-exercise-video.php

This shows a bunch of different exercises that are possible with this piece of equipment and usually shows modifications (both easier and more difficult).

Take a look at this link:

http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/trx-resources/trx-exercise-video.php

This shows a bunch of different exercises that are possible with this piece of equipment and usually shows modifications (both easier and more difficult).

Thanks for the link--the exercises definitely look more accessible now! I've never seen a TRX, but I am really intrigued. How are your workouts going? Is it hard to move quickly from one to the next (I'm guessing it's mostly a question of getting a routine going).

Beth

I would get a Nordic Track treadmill. I think I would use all the programming that s built in it. I do have an image treadmill that I use when I can't run outside but I like the features of the Noric Track treadmill a lot better. I did own a bowflex for several years but I prefer free weights. We sold the bowflex a few months ago.

Thanks for the link--the exercises definitely look more accessible now! I've never seen a TRX, but I am really intrigued. How are your workouts going? Is it hard to move quickly from one to the next (I'm guessing it's mostly a question of getting a routine going).

Beth,

I am really enjoying my workouts with this. The package I got came with a video that I followed along with for the first week but now I've kind of been writing up my own workout to follow along with using the different exercises shown on their website as well as other places on the web (like youtube). It only take a few seconds to switch from one exercise to another, really the same or less time than it takes to switch dumbells between exercises in weight workouts. I also try to set my workout up so that I can do several exercises in a row with the TRX in one position and then switch the TRX to a different length and perform a set of 2-3 different exercises in that position (so maybe I'll do 20 suspended crunches, 60 second suspended plank, and then 20 hamstring curls with the TRX at a long length position before shortening it up and doing rows, curls, presses).

One thing I should mention if anyone is thinking of buying one is that there are several bootleg copies for sale on Ebay. I know the TRX company was trying to fight to get them taken off because people were contacting them with complaints of problems with the product. With a product like this, I don't think you would want to risk an inferior product because injury could occur isfsomething broke while you were using it.

Let me know if you have any more questions, I'd be happy to try to answer them.

I would get one of those Ipod Touch thingees that corresponds with a chip in your shoe. A friend showed me hers yesterday and it is SO cool. It can wirelessly download (if you have wireless capabilities at your house) your info, keep track of your mileage, time, calories burned, etc... It tells you your pace and miles as you run/walk and Lance Armstrong even congratulates you at the end of your workout if you've set a personal best.:D

Plus it does all the other things ipods do (whatever they are!).

I would so love to have one, but alas, they are around $300, so I don't see one anywhere on my horizon.

I would get one of those Ipod Touch thingees that corresponds with a chip in your shoe. A friend showed me hers yesterday and it is SO cool. It can wirelessly download (if you have wireless capabilities at your house) your info, keep track of your mileage, time, calories burned, etc... It tells you your pace and miles as you run/walk and Lance Armstrong even congratulates you at the end of your workout if you've set a personal best.:D

I would so love to have one, but alas, they are around $300, so I don't see one anywhere on my horizon.

Oh wow that is cool!

Of course...not in my budget either and I don't have an ipod touch to start with. :lol:

DH just bought a Nike+ that works with his ipod. He has an old model ipod and it's compatible. It cost $30

Where did she buy one for $300? The iTouch is $300 right? The chip thingee (love your word) is inexpensive.

I love our recumbent bike that we are long term borrowing ;-) I have lost 10 inches on my hips! I have little hand weights to add in the upper body while pedaling. I am not a huge fan of exercise but when I don't wanna exercise I can still SIT and do the bike and get it done :-)

:iagree: I have a recumbent bike and I love it. I am not a big fan of gadgets and machines, but the bike is perfect. It is in my bedroom and I can see the TV from it, but I usually read. I think mine is by Jake and was between $200-300 around 6 years ago. I'm sure there are better machines, but this one is fine.

I also use dumbells in a range of weights and could not be without them. We have a full gym machine setup down in the basement but I never use it. Too much competition from the spiders and the millipedes.

If our basement was finished and I had an extra $500 laying around, I would like the igallop. It's an exercise machine that is like riding a horse. It's supposed to train your core and legs. If it works like riding a horse does, it probably works!

I just had another thought:

Good cross-training shoes and a heart rate monitor/watch. I got a bright red Suunto t3c for Christmas with a heart rate strap. It is cute, fun to wear and highly motivating to start working out. Monitoring your heart rate while you exercise is very helpful in achieving your fitness goals. I've always worn my husband's, but this is so much cuter :)