Menu

Do you know a family you have a secret homeschooling wish for?

I'd never mention it, because their feelings on a good, stiff, expensive private education are so obvious, but oh, how smart and innovative is the spouse who is just not making much money, and then the tuition, the childcare, etc. which outstrips this income.

It would be so perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfect. Sigh.

Edited by kalanamak

I wish more people in our social circle would give homeschooling the kind of serious consideration they give the various traditional schools in our area. I don't believe in a "one size fits all" model of education, and I'm fine with parents deciding that school X would be the best "fit" for their child. But I do get frustrated that even the "Attachment Parenting" crowd seems to automatically accept the premise that 30+ hours/week in an institutional setting is what's best for a young child.

I used to have a family like that. I knew the mom would do a good job, that it would benefit the kid... you get the idea. I very carefully didn't say a word to pressure them, but when they asked questioned I answered honestly..

Then I got really lucky, and they started homeschooling this year. :D

But I do get frustrated that even the "Attachment Parenting" crowd seems to automatically accept the premise that 30+ hours/week in an institutional setting is what's best for a young child.

:iagree:

I'm on a local AP parents yahoogroup and some of the discussion baffles me.

Ooooo! I know this family!

Trouble is, they did homeschool for a while, but for some reason the wife actually prefers to work 3 jobs and run ragged with after-school activities rather than stay at home with the kids. I guess for her it's about more than the math (and boy, would they save a ton if they didn't have to pay tuition...).

No, but I'm going to feel like that when my sister has kids. Her partner is all into prestige when it comes to education. Also, in his circle, kids usually go off to boarding school so they can learn to be independent. I find this a peculiar thing for a couple to do, when they spend their lives running a safari business and volunteer organisation that takes them the length and breadth of the country. I, personally, think homeschooling on the road would be a lot more interesting, but my sister wants them to go to an IB school so Immigration will allow them into Australia for uni, if they choose. The unis don't care if people homeschool, but apparently Immigration does. She said Immigration views all Africans as dumb and uneducated unless they have a year 12 certificate from some swanky British or American, but preferably British school. And I thought the White Australia Policy finished decades ago...

It really makes me grind my teeth to think of my sister moving to Kenya so she can feel she's living in the real world, then send her kids to sit in a classroom with the same people, day in, day out, then probably afterschool them too because she thinks the education system is substandard. :thumbdown:

When I start homeschooling, I'm going to make a blog for them to read in the hopes of convincing them that, firstly, we can achieve academic excellence and be recognised that way by the powers that be (which is my sister's issue) and that an homeschooling is something he can show off to his peers about. He's a good Christian "I can support my family" kind of guy, so he couldn't show his face around the traps if he wasn't providing a prestigious education for his kids. We know that homeschooling is very exclusive, but I've no idea how to convince him of that. In reality, I will convince no one of anything, because he won't read the blog, and my sister will read it, say "That's nice" and go and do her own thing anyway :) But they're still going to receive a copy of WTM when they announce their first pregnancy. An auntie (and older sister) has to do what an auntie (and older sister) has to do! :D

;)

Rosie- who's sister has a PhD in ignoring her, so I can't do any harm, heheh

I wish the little girl that I babysit (1yo) would be a candidate for homeschooling. My dd comes with me, and she's gentle and kind to the baby, so much so that H. always asks for dd when she's going to bed or waking up! We're only there once a week, so dd is like a little Ambassador for homeschooling! lol

I will have a good chance to talk with the mom about preschool coming soon--I am going to go to coffee with her or invite her over, and basically go over different philosophies and stuff. The trouble is, I think preschool is mostly fine, but it's hard to convince someone who sends their kids to preschool that homeschooling is an option, unless they already are leaning in that direction. Preschool/K "sucks them in" to the system, iykwim.

I do have a secret "I wish your homeschool would CHANGE" kinda wish for someone, but I guess that's a different topic! lol

I wish more people in our social circle would give homeschooling the kind of serious consideration they give the various traditional schools in our area. I don't believe in a "one size fits all" model of education, and I'm fine with parents deciding that school X would be the best "fit" for their child. But I do get frustrated that even the "Attachment Parenting" crowd seems to automatically accept the premise that 30+ hours/week in an institutional setting is what's best for a young child.

Whatever a parent chooses, I just wish they'd put some thought into it. You know, beyond "We live in a *good* school district" (but cant' define *good*) or "We're using a private school" (but know nothing about the curriculum).

Not trying to derail this discussion but what is there for you to be frustrated about when someone chooses daycare? I don't see the difference in believing that not one size fits all in education and believing that not one size fits all for mothering.

To the original topic, I do have a couple of friends who I wish would consider homeschooling. I think their kids would thrive at home in a way they are not thriving at school.

Not trying to derail this discussion but what is there for you to be frustrated about when someone chooses daycare? I don't see the difference in believing that not one size fits all in education and believing that not one size fits all for mothering.

Particularly when the kid ends up in the hospital with every virus.

On a selfish note, I wish everyone I like would homeschool so we could do more stuff with them.

Me too!!! :D

Before we moved, all of our friends hs'ed. Now that we have moved, we only know one nearby hs family. All of dd's friends go to ps, so we hardly get to spend time with them.

I do know of 2 families that I wish would hs. Both have great kids and the moms would make super hs moms - sometimes I think they would do a better job at it than me! I have to content myself with praying for them to make the best choice for their kids and showing by example how wonderful hs can be.

:iagree: Especially when a student is struggling.

Whatever a parent chooses, I just wish they'd put some thought into it. You know, beyond "We live in a *good* school district" (but cant' define *good*) or "We're using a private school" (but know nothing about the curriculum).

Edited by Tammyla

I felt that way about my nephew. He struggled socially in high school and I was really worried about him. He went to hs everyday feeling like an outcast. Whaa! I was secretly hoping my SIL would pull him out and find a nice hs co-op for him. I never mentioned my homeschool wish to my SIL since she has ADD and has trouble managing her day to day workload. I told my nephew in private that if it ever got to be too much to deal with that he could move to Texas and that I would hs him.

Thankfully, my nephew found the drama club at high school and a great group of kid to hang around. He even has the lead in their play this month, and does Shakespeare workshops during the summer. I am so thankful he found a way to fit in, but I was really scared for him for a while.

Edited by Ferdie

I don't think there is anything wrong with saying, "You know, have you guys considered homeschooling? You would be soooooo good at it, because you are so creative and intelligent, organized, etc, and I think your kids would flourish with it. And you know, if I sign up six new homeschoolers, I get a free toaster oven!" (This only works if you know the people pretty well. But I think with friends, mentioning could be ok, so long as you didn't nag.)

I wish I could homeschool my friend's son. The poor little Capricorn just isn't meant for a school social environment. I'd probably suggest it if we lived close by. There's not much I can do from 2 hours away and neither of his parents would be suited to doing the job themselves. :(

Rosie

Do you know a family you have a secret homeschooling wish for?

Yes!! Their ds is ADHD and Aspergers, but extremely high functioning. He is so smart, light years ahead in academics, but socially really struggles. The mom spends so much time and energy advocating for him, but things never seem to work out. Funny thing, they homeschooled their dd for 2 years because since she could read well in first grade, she spent most of her time in class tutoring the other kids. So they pulled her out to give her an opportunity to do academics on her level.

The mom wants a break (understandably, her ds is really a handful) so she keeps him in ps. Too bad there can't be an afterschool (2-3 hrs a day) drop off he could be in that would give her the break she needs, but would still be letting him get the challenge and environment for learning that would best suit him for "school."

Lawana

How about homeschool the kids and a change in custodial arrangements?

My daughter loved these two girls who live down the street. When the time came, the younger of the two went to kindy but my daughter missed the cut off. With school until 3:30pm, homework, dark by 4:30pm, dinner, bath, early bedtime...they never had time to play. Plus, right after we met them the parents split and they were spending every Wednesday and every other weekend with dad. She waited all year for them to be available to play during the summer, but the judge gave dad custodial custody during the summers. Then mom and I had an irreparable falling out. She accused me of being self-centered, accused me of never acquiring about her (she always answered and made telephone calls during the entire length of our visits so how could I), accused us of harming our daughter by homeschooling her, and tried to help end my marriage. Then a homeschooling family moved in across the street and she gossiped to them about how we were isolating our very social daughter (we were out socializing 5 days a week at the time) and suggested they should befriend us for her sake. I didn't know this until she did something nasty to them and they asked about our history (I hadn't gossiped). Ugh!

Anyway, the girls are sweethearts and one of them is a pretty good and serious gymnast on the YMCA team. She complains about never having any free time between school, homework and her practice schedule and wishes she could homeschool. Dad does all kinds of cool things with them when he has them...boating (the girls at ages 13 and 10 can sail a boat without adult help), skiing, traveling, art, photography, etc. He's mentioned he would love to homeschool them...but he only gets Wednesday nights and every other weekend during the school year. We've learned that the dad is a really nice guy and wish he could have full custody so the girls could homeschool and we could know them better. Even with my keeping contact with them VERY limited (due to mom's behavior), they are still on my daughter's birthday invite list...which reminds me, I need to find out which weekend is his so we can hold the party that weekend.