Menu

favorite book for 2-3yo girl?!

I really like The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.

Lori

I agree. We also love The Napping House, Jamberry, Going to Sleep on the Farm, the Rosemary Wells Mother Goose books...I'll have to check DD4's collection and report back!

All my children have especially loved:

The Little Fur Family (Margaret Wise Brown)

Peter Rabbit and all the other Beatrix Potter books

Angus and the Cat, Angus and the Ducks, Angus Gets Lost (Marjorie Flack)

Richard Scarry books, especially Cars and Trucks and Things that Go

Charlie Needs a New Cloak (Tomie DePaola) and similarly, Pelle Gets a New Coat (Elsa Beskow--her illustrations are my favorite)

Red Hat, Blue Hat, Green Hat (Sandra Boynton)

Mama, Do You Love Me? (Barbara something)

I wish I could sit and read to my little ones all day. I just love children's literature! If you need more ideas, you might try looking at the lists from the Five in a Row curriculum. There is another source I've used a looong time ago...maybe it was a catalog called Chinaberry? I'll do a little research and get back to you. I've found the big brick and mortors to be next to useless in looking for the kind of children's books I like--they all seem to be tied into a product or tv show or something. I have better success at the teachers' stores. Happy browsing!

My daughter loved these:

How Will We Get to the Beach? (Guessing book - tons of fun)

Piggies (Adorable!!)

Are You My Mother? (Classic)

Stand Back said the Elephant, I'm Going to Sneeze (funny)

Horton Hatches the Egg (one of my personal favorites)

I'm a Little Teapot

I don't have a girl that age but I do remember what I liked at that age -

"Monster at the End of this Book" (Seseme Street)

"The Gingerbread Man" (Little Golden Book)

Anything by Richard Scarry

Mother Goose Rhymes

Anything else that rhymed (especially the "Owl & the Pussy Cat" and "The Gingham Dog & the Calico Cat" - both Little Golden's).

Dd is in love with The Big Green Pocketbook by Candace Ransom. It was the first time she followed the emotional thread in a story...the girl loses her purse that has "her whole morning" in it, and then the bus driver returns it. Dd turned to me with the biggest smile when the girl got the purse back. We read it every night, and she has most of it memorized now. She may just like the shopping aspect of it, but I prefer to think it was an "ah-ha" reading moment. :D

I just asked my kids and went through a bookshelf and here are some more of our favorites:

Going to Sleep on the Farm

Is Your Mama a Llama?

What Do You Do With a Kangaroo? (Mercer Mayer)

John's Picture by Elizabeth MacDonald

The Completed Hickory Dickory Dock

My boys were both fascinated with clocks and both loved DK's My First Book of Time around that age

http://www.amazon.com/My-First-Book-Time-Games/dp/1879431785/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260577456&sr=1-25

Mine also loved an Elmo lift the flap book but I'm not sure it was the same title as listed previously.