Menu

Regifting or not? What says the Hive?

So, I am a major regifter. If we recieve something as a gift that we don't need/like/want/have any use for - it goes into the gift closet for regifting. Now, I know some people find this tacky (although I am not sure I understand why.) What about you all....do you regift? If not, what do you do with all the gifts you get that you don't use?

We don't buy gifts for anyone other than our children and charities (foster children, homeless shelter, etc.) so no, I don't really regift. I just give it away to whoever wants it. Most of the gifts that fit that category are lotions and soaps and candy. I'm allergic to all that skin care stuff and store-bought candy just needs to get out of my house (fast).

My "regifting" closet currently has some beautiful premie clothes (given to me by my mother when my youngest was 2 or 3 months old and nearly 16 lbs), a stack of Lil' Bratz coloring books (I just can't give these to my dd!), several ornaments and packages of stationary with my dd's name on them spelled incorrectly, and 4(!) copies of a Judy Blume book. Come to think of it, most of these gifts are from my mother. And yes, it is a trend.

If I ever meet someone whose kids like and own Bratz dolls, I'll probably give them the coloring books. (It's probably more likely that I'll get tired of looking at them and pitch them into the woodstove sometime soon.) If any of my friends/family has a premie, I'll be sure to give them the clothes. (It's more likely that I'll give them to a local thrift store fairly soon.) The Judy Blume books do not have ISBNs on them -- I don't know WHERE/HOW mother got them. I cannot swap them at the bookstore. I'll probably give them to the library. Soon.

I don't normally "regift," but when it's something I simply can't use... what else is there to do? (I will give to a thrift store or the library, of course.)

Edited by zaichiki

I regift on occasion. For example, I got several duplicate gifts for my baby shower, so I saved those things and gave them out when other people had babies.

Every year we host a huge New Years party, and we do a re-gifting Yankee Swap. We each bring a gift that we don't want/need (you should see some of the weird things people get for the holidays!) and then we do a regular Yankee Swap with them. Some gifts are good, but just duplicates of things people received (we got Pirates of the Carribean one year because our friends got 2 copies) and sometimes the gifts are really weird (a ceramic lobster? Really?). I think re-gifting can be both practical and hilarious depending on the situation.

I only regift if I know that the gift would be loved by the recipient. For example, my whole family is very allergic to scented items including scented candles. But I have a friend who loves scented candles and uses them as part of her decorating scheme. I would have no problem regifting a scented candle to her.

Now if it is something that 90% of people would find hideous, I don't regift it!

I don't think it's tacky to pass on something you don't appreciate to a friend or relation who will appreciate it. But it would be tacky to just grab some piece of rubbish that nobody would like and give it to your relative because you want to give her something but can't be bothered to think of anything she'd like. I'm sure you fall into the first category though. And of course you label each gift with who gave it to you so you don't inadvertently re-gift it back to them! :001_huh:

I'm sure you fall into the first category though. And of course you label each gift with who gave it to you so you don't inadvertently re-gift it back to them! :001_huh:

:001_smile: Thanks for that assumption!!! And yes, with b-day presents that the kids get that are just unsuitable for whatever reason (we already have one, my dd hates princesses, etc...) I do leave a gift tag on so I know who it came from! Here we seem to be INUNDATED with birthday parties - and I often give a gift that was given to my child that we didn't use.

when my kids were in public school. we had a major fundraiser every year . we has a school fete. and in that fete was a spinning wheel thing, people would buy tickets, and if the spinning wheel landed on your number you would win a prize. all the prizes were donated things from parents. nearly all of them were presents that people has re-gifted. there were some things that made it back to the spinning wheel every year. and it turned into a bit of a joke. everyone found it highly amusing to get that funny bathroom set. etc that just kept on coming back.

I really think it depends. I see nothing wrong with passing on baby clothes even if they were gifts, however I would not "regift" an item someone has given me because I always think this person took the trouble of making or buying something for me and not someone else. Even if it is not to my taste, I try to find some use for it.

I really think it depends. I see nothing wrong with passing on baby clothes even if they were gifts, however I would not "regift" an item someone has given me because I always think this person took the trouble of making or buying something for me and not someone else. Even if it is not to my taste, I try to find some use for it.

I will regift brand new, still in the original packaging, generic items - usually to someone who is not quite a friend who surprises me with a gift. I also sometimes use a regift (usually a picture frame or candle) for a hostess gift because I don't like showing up to dinner empty-handed. If it is something I'm pretty sure nobody will like, I just donate it to charity.

My SIL regifts used items, which I find tacky. I get the feeling she just glanced around her house at the last minute, found something she was done with, stuck it in a bag and gave it to me. Once she gave me a cup. A year later I went to a restaurant near her home and found out they give these cups away free when you order a hot drink during the holiday season. tacky.

I don't think regifting is a problem. As long as it's not a tacky gift IYKWIM. I would keep track of who gave it to you and make sure that you're careful not to give it to the person who gave it to you or give it at an event or something where the person who gave it to you would know you regifted their gift. Does this make sense? I'm tired and maybe it sounds better in my head.:001_huh:

My SIL regifts used items, which I find tacky. I get the feeling she just glanced around her house at the last minute, found something she was done with, stuck it in a bag and gave it to me. Once she gave me a cup. A year later I went to a restaurant near her home and found out they give these cups away free when you order a hot drink during the holiday season. tacky.

Very tacky, indeed! Does she know you figured it out?

Your sil seems like quite a gem. ;)

I will regift brand new, still in the original packaging, generic items - usually to someone who is not quite a friend who surprises me with a gift. I also sometimes use a regift (usually a picture frame or candle) for a hostess gift because I don't like showing up to dinner empty-handed. If it is something I'm pretty sure nobody will like, I just donate it to charity.

Probably not. I've never mentioned it. But I have stopped trying so hard to find the "perfect" gift for her. She now gets a gift card when I draw her name.

I know what you mean. Even in a pinch or if I've forgotten an occasion, i.e. birthday, I cannot imagine grabbing something out of the cabinet just so I can wrap it up and hand it over.

I don't think it's tacky to pass on something you don't appreciate to a friend or relation who will appreciate it. But it would be tacky to just grab some piece of rubbish that nobody would like and give it to your relative because you want to give her something but can't be bothered to think of anything she'd like. I'm sure you fall into the first category though. And of course you label each gift with who gave it to you so you don't inadvertently re-gift it back to them! :001_huh:

:iagree: I have been given gifts that were most likely regifts but also could have been something the giver grabbed earlier in the year because it was on clearance. I've also been given used items (and, no, it wasn't an antique!). I'm fine with being thrifty and frugal but make sure the item has some value to the receiver.

Actually, one of our best wedding presents was a collection of used items. One item was an antique blue canning jar that was given to this person by my great-aunt who had recently passed away. She had slipped a note inside it explaining what it was and she even remembered what my great-aunt had canned in it. There were also homemade Christmas ornaments. Very pretty and not tacky at all and totally fit our style. They were put in a new decorative wooden box. That was a regift and used gift passed on that had a lot of meaning to me.

Just a word of caution when regifting... Let me share in the form of a short story:

Ex husband and I were newly married and spending our first Christmas together at his mother's home and with his step-dad's extended family. Many people brought us gifts that year. One was from his step-cousin and her husband. They were also married that same year. Well, we opened it, said our thank you's, exchanged "what the hell is it?" looks, and went on about our way.

A week later, we got home and unpacked. The um...thing?...turned up and I decided to take it out of the box and see if there were directions (it was some kind of salad chopper/dryer thing). As I pulled it out of the box, a small card came out with it. The card said, "Hope you have a wonderful Wedding Day, (step-cousin and Husband's names). From the so and so family." NIIIICCCEEE!

So...the moral of this story is, if you regift, please remove the original gift card from the box first. Otherwise, it is just really tacky.

I do not regift. Probably because we don't get many gifts. But I have a funny regifting story.

A long time ago (prob. 20 yrs ago) I painstakingly selected a set of towels from Lands End and had the monogrammed and sent to my in-laws.

About 10 yrs ago we received that same set of towels from MIL. I'm sure she had no idea that we had sent her the towels in the first place. And, the monogram on the towels is just dandy. We still use those towels, and I harbor no ill feelings toward my MIL, but it makes me giggle sometimes still.

Cammie, I would like to be regifted a Le Cruset stockpot. Used is also fine. :D Have you got that in your closet?

I regift and I know I have gotten 'pre-gfts'. Makes no never mind to moi.

:lol: Its possible - it is a big dark hole - who knows what is in there!

OMG - After I replied, I remembered, I DO have a crockpot in there, new, in the box (I had very good intentions once!)

Edited by Cammie

My "regifting" closet currently has some beautiful premie clothes (given to me by my mother when my youngest was 2 or 3 months old and nearly 16 lbs

I had a 10 lb-5 oz baby who was 17-3 at his two month check up, so I can just picture this. ;) I had to send my husband home to dig up a medium sleeper just to bring the baby home in.

I don't regift too many things but am quick to move out those gifts we don't have any use for.

For our wedding we received several regifts. I'm certain because they left the gift cards in with the names of the giver.:tongue_smilie:

We regift but only if the gift fits the recipient. I don't just hand out something from the closet for the sake of making sure I give a present. All tags, tape, etc. are removed before it goes into storage. I have a great memory and I remember who gave each gift. I make sure I do not give the gift to anyone in that person's circle of friends. If you do it correctly, no one will ever know that something is a regift. In this day of a bad economy, regifting makes sense.

Guest janainaz

I only regift if it is something someone would actually want and for some reason I can't use it or don't need it. But, I'm more likely to tell someone, "I got this from so-and-so and I can't use it, so you can have it if you want it."

I would never regift something I thought was hideous just to say I gave a gift. I have some strange little things in my closet that need to go to the Goodwill!

I can always tell when I have been given "a regift". It is always clearly something that NO one would want & that hte buyer didnt' care enough for me to find a personal gift.

If you must "regift"... just don't give anything. Just write them a nice note in love... or tell them that you are having tough financial times...whatever...

But please don' t give them your rejects. I just had a baby in October. It is CLEALR who grabbed rejects or leftovers for me. It was hurtful... not because they didnt' spend any money on us (should not be a burden) but because they didn't care enough to think of us or our needs. They were just burdened by us & grabbed something to make a "show" with.

I agree with the general sentiment here - if you're given useful, but duplicate items, or something that you can't or don't want to use but know someone who would love it, I don't see a problem with regifting.

I will say that I'd prefer to just give something to someone with the knowledge shared up front that it was given to me but I thought they'd like it.

We did receive some wedding gifts that were so old, they weren't made anymore, or the packaging had completely changed, etc. I thought that was tacky. The boxes were clearly old and worn. I'd have a preferred a nice card with well wishes, honestly, than having to deal with someone else's junk.

I do happen to know that my mom has 2 Dutch ovens. I'm sure one is hers and one is my grandmother's, both having been used for years. I'm hoping she will give one to me for Christmas. I don't care that it's used - I just need one! :)

I usually get gifts that can be used by someone in our large family... I get given a lot of stuff from well meaning people throughout the year. If I can't use it or don't want it, I donate it. These items are almost always second hand, anyway...

But, if I receive something new that I don't need or I know someone else would really like/use, I will regift it. And last year a couple of relatives each had the same idea as a gift for us, so we received duplicates of the item. These were nice... digital photo frames with remote controls... in original boxes. I haven't regifted one yet because I know both givers were thoughtful in giving their gifts... but, I have this nice gift, sitting in it's box... I will regift it. And the person I am thinking of giving to will love it.