Menu

People, people

I'm kinda with you on that one. My heart aches tonight as my brothers and mom and my own dear 17yog are all together, happily chatting and hugging... clear across the country from me.

We wash hands all the time and try very hard to avoid sickness because one son gets very ill with asthma when he gets sick... and he nearly died early this year from a basic virus.... OUTSIDE of that... I am right there with you... I'd love to be with my folks or my brothers and sisters... (and I am sorry for those of you who have very difficult to get along with family)

Well, I for one had a bad experience. I was coerced to show up to a family Thanksgiving with my 8wk old baby, and someone brought their kids with colds, and my baby ended up with RSV. He was almost hospitalized, was VERY sick, and we dealt with the resulting health repercussions in him for YEARS. So, some of us have been burned. Let's show each other grace--different people have different perspectives.

And now, with a Type 1 diabetic in my house, we have to be be very careful.

I'd just like to point out:

CDC reports from October were that nearly HALF of the severe cases of novel H1N1 (enough to be hospitalized and possibly ventilated) had NO underlying conditions. Just because someone is not immuno compromised is no reason to not avoid getting influenza.

Just a couple recent ones:

35 yo, healthy male - dead of H1N1 : "very athletic and healthy; no other medical conditions that could have contributed to his death"

or how about this one: healthy male, 25, "played varsity football for four years and was named all-conference...He spent one summer studying at the film school at University of Southern California. He spent another exploring the southern African countries and Europe. He spent still another exploring South America, including a trip down the Amazon. He visited 37 countries in all. He was always looking for adventure - taking classes in scuba diving, mountaineering and surfing. He loved his friends and the times they spent rafting, camping, playing video games, watching movies and working out....."

H1N1 presents as relatively mild in the vast majority of cases but it can kill. And being 'healthy' is not a guarantee that it won't.

Well, I for one had a bad experience. I was coerced to show up to a family Thanksgiving with my 8wk old baby, and someone brought their kids with colds, and my baby ended up with RSV. He was almost hospitalized, was VERY sick, and we dealt with the resulting health repercussions in him for YEARS. So, some of us have been burned. Let's show each other grace--different people have different perspectives.

And now, with a Type 1 diabetic in my house, we have to be be very careful.

:iagree:

My DS had a similar experience and ended up with RSV when he was 11 months old. He stopped breathing and, had we not happened to have been in the pediatrician's office when it happened, all of his doctors say he would have been dead before an ambulance would have arrived. As it stands, he now has permanent lung damage.

FWIW, my DD had H1N1 in September. It was the sickest I've ever seen her. She had a fever hovering near (and sometimes topping) 105 for 3 days, despite piggy-backing Motrin and Tylenol every 3 hours and living in the bathtub.

The majority of people who get the flu will be fine, as are most of the kids who get RSV. But I can fully appreciate why people would be worried and take extra precautions after what happened to my DS.

I'd heave for a week if I could have some of my family here.

Thousands of people, people probably did get on planes because they adopted this sentiment on behalf of their relatives and their relatives' kids and babies.

I don't feel right saying anything further that may be relevant though I could go on. So I will just say Happy Thanksgiving, and to love the ones you're with!

I had a similar experience as Cassandra's. My baby had RSV due to someone not staying home when they were sick. As a result, she was in the hospital two times afterwards due to RSV. As a result, she now has asthma.

I used to be of the same mind as Remudamom but my take on things has changed drastically due to my experience with my dd.

Ds's fever just broke this morning, so we're skipping out on Turkey Day with the family, even though it's the first time my mom has been up for Thanksgiving in 9 years. But my 4mo niece and 80 yo grandmother are there, and I don't want either of them catching anything.

We've also quarantined ds to try to keep the rest of the kids from getting sick. We're throwing a big 80th b-day party on Saturday, and I'd rather miss a dozen Thanksgivings than miss that!

Under normal circumstances, I'd probably be more reasonable. ;)

Well, I for one would like them to keep thier flu to themselves, thankyouverymuch. Besides, there's no reason Thanksgiving couldn't be celebrated next Wednesday or last Sunday...when everyone is thankful they are not sick. Its just a fancy date on the calendar, really - we can be thankful any old day.

Personally, I'd heave for a week to keep them away ;):lol:

Honestly, we've had H1N1 through the house last spring. I don't worry about it so much now. That being said, I completely understand folks not wanting to be exposed to it if they can avoid it. Christmas is a month away...less than.

How much fun can a person have if they're woofing their cookies?

Well, I for one had a bad experience. I was coerced to show up to a family Thanksgiving with my 8wk old baby, and someone brought their kids with colds, and my baby ended up with RSV. He was almost hospitalized, was VERY sick, and we dealt with the resulting health repercussions in him for YEARS

After one Christmas celebration my youngest son got RSV and *did* end up in the hospital. Luckily he was full-term, though he was less than a month old, and recovered enough to be discharged after only 3 days. It was awful!

I think people should have the common decency to try to avoid getting others sick if they *know* they, themselves, are sick.

Unless you have someone with a compromised immune system who gives a rat's patoot about the flu???

I'd heave for a week if I could have some of my family here.

I completely understand what you're saying, and pretty much agree. Unless there's someone blatantly sick, or unless there's someone with a compromised immune system, I try not to worry about it. There's a really large chance that my kids have been (and will continue to be) exposed to many things, including and especially the flu, just walking through the grocery store. Though I'd never purposely expose someone to an illness, and I understand other people's worries about it, I think there's a point where I could just drive myself crazy about the whole thing. I choose not to go to the crazy place. Hopefully, my dc are building nice strong immune systems by catching and beating the little illnesses along the way.

My kids haven't been really sick in many years, but I remember one Christmas almost 10 years ago, when my dh and I and all *5* of our dc had the flu. We had to miss the big family Christmas with all the aunts/uncles/cousins that was happening next door. My dh has a big family--it's a BIG crowd. The celebration was happening literally 100 feet from my front door. My littles were so sad :crying:! Even though they were so sick, my dc managed to open their Christmas presents from us, and then they all laid in sleeping bags around the bathroom door (we had just one bathroom). I was dumbstruck when there was a tap at our back door, and one of my dh's brothers stuck his head inside and called out to us. He came right in and sat in the middle of my dc, asking each one to show him their special present, even holding the baby on his lap, and getting right down there on the floor, practically at face-level with all of my sick kids who really were just not able to drag themselves onto their feet. The delight on my dc's faces, that someone cared enough about them to risk being ill in order to make them feel included and special...well, words cannot express how special that bil is.

I don't know that I'd have taken the chance on getting sick, were I in his shoes. I'm not saying that anyone *should* take the risk, just that he earned my everlasting respect for being so selfless, in order to cherish family.

(And just in case you're wondering...no, he didn't get sick :D)