Menu

What books to ask for this Christmas?

I am at a loss (for the first time ever) to come up with a Christmas list for myself. I usually ask for a couple reference type books: cookbooks, homeschool books, art books, sewing/knitting/quilting books. This year, I'm drawing a blank.

What are some good nonfiction books to add to my list?

Guest Cindie2dds
I am at a loss (for the first time ever) to come up with a Christmas list for myself. I usually ask for a couple reference type books: cookbooks, homeschool books, art books, sewing/knitting/quilting books. This year, I'm drawing a blank.

What are some good nonfiction books to add to my list?

:lurk5: I'm looking forward to this answer too!

Do you scrapbook? I just got this one for my birthday over the summer: http://www.amazon.com/Reflections-Scrapbook-Program-Jeanette-Lynton/dp/1423603117/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259122228&sr=1-1 & it's my absolute favorite can't-live-without book.

For hs'ing, I assume you've got WTM, so beyond that, I like the Maxwells' stuff--Managers of their Homes & esp of their Chores.

I don't like to cook, but I have found a couple of children's cookbooks that I can follow & also entertain me beyond cooking, lol. One is recipes around the world w/ internet links, photos, & info about the places the recipes come from. The other is baking, & it's got a chocolate-mint cupcake recipe that takes 15 min flat from start to oh-so-beautiful-just-like-the-picture-yummy finish. And if you make them small, they fit perfectly in your mouth in one bite, & it's easy to eat the whole pan.

But I digress.

I don't knit, either, & I'm terrible at following instructions, so I don't think I own any sewing books, & I barely use patterns any more for the same reason. Hmmm...maybe that's my problem w/ cooking. Hmmm...actually, maybe that's my problem w/ a lot of things. :001_huh:

The Jungle Effect was one of my happiest finds of the year.

This Jewish Cookbook comes recommended by The Hive. We've cooked a few things from the Sephardic section. Oooh. Yummy!

I'd love this book on 'ologies and 'isms. Such words tend to make my head hurt, and I'd like to get them sorted out.

I'd also love this or something similar on the history of the English language.

Rosie

I'll second The Well Educated Mind, and also TWTM if you don't have the latest edition. One of my favorite cookbooks is the King Arthur Flour 20th Anniversary Edition. It is a great help in the kitchen!

Another favorite book of mine may or may not be a good fit for you, but I'll recommend it. Do you have a creative side that has not flourished in your life for one reason or another? There is a great book that can be read individually or as a group that deals with that very thing. It is Christian in theme, and I don't know if that makes a difference to you, but I found it to be rich and rewarding. The name of the book is The Creative Call by Janice Elsheimer.

Thanks for the thread. This is great idea for others too.

Blessings,

Lucinda

"Inside the Victorian Home: A portrait of Domestic Life in Victorian England," by Judith Flanders.

It's about (obviously) home-life in Victorian England. (1800's.) Very fascinating. Is an easy read--not text-booky at all. Those Victorians were nuts!

I don't like to cook, but I have found a couple of children's cookbooks that I can follow & also entertain me beyond cooking, lol. One is recipes around the world w/ internet links, photos, & info about the places the recipes come from. The other is baking, & it's got a chocolate-mint cupcake recipe that takes 15 min flat from start to oh-so-beautiful-just-like-the-picture-yummy finish. And if you make them small, they fit perfectly in your mouth in one bite, & it's easy to eat the whole pan.

Aubrey, I'd love the titles of these books if you have a moment. I'm looking for some kid-friendly cookbooks for our family, and these sound great!

If you like movies, I stumbled across a book called Good Scripts, Bad Scripts.

In this unique volume, respected screenwriter Thomas Pope offers an innovative and practical approach to teaching the craft of screenplay writing, in the process providing an engaging, behind-the-scenes look at the way the film industry really works. Each chapter deals with a different component of the art of screenwriting, from character development, to the nurturing of subplots, to the fundamentals of good dialogue, illustrating everything through the virtues or mistakes of a particular film. The book encompasses the best and worst of films throughout the years, including Citizen Kane, Pulp Fiction, Chinatown, Singing in the Rain, Bonfire of the Vanities, and many others. With its trenchant analysis and keen insight into the reasons films succeed or fail, Good Scripts, Bad Scripts is not only an invaluable guide for potential screenwriters, but a rich resource for any student interested in film and film history.

I got it for my high school dd to use to cobble together an elective. It is a neat book.