Menu

Best bean recipes

I'm looking for a way to cut down on food costs and more meatless meals and bean recipes seems like a good option. I don't use beans that often though (except for chili or burrito's) I need some good, family approved bean recipes!

To make the following recipe meatless but just as yummy, simply replace the meat with another can (or 2 cups soaked) beans. I like to use red beans, but doubling the amount of black beans is just as good.

Put a little olive oil (or butter or coconut oil) in the pan to cook the onion and garlic. Then put in half the beans and the taco seasoning and follow the rest of the recipe. Sometimes I put in extra squash, one yellow and one zucchini. I've included a homemade taco seasoning recipe as well.

I like to serve this over homemade cornbread and grate a little cheese over the top.

Mexican Taco Stew

1/2 lb ground beef

1 medium onion, chopped

2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 TBS taco seasoning

2 cups beef broth

1 large zucchini or summer squash, cubed

1 (15 oz) can black beans

1 cup frozen corn

1 cup salsa

Brown meat in a large pot. Remove.

Saute onion and garlic. Add meat back to pot and sprinkle with taco seasoning.

Add remaining ingredients.

Simmer uncovered 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Gluten Free Taco Seasoning

1 TBS Potato Starch (optional thickening agent)

1 tsp chili powder

1 tsp paprika

3/4 tsp sea salt

3/4 tsp minced onion

1/2 tsp cumin

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp sugar or cinnamon

1/8 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp cocoa powder

Red Beans and sausage! 1 pound sausage of your choice. 2 small bags of red beans. 1 onion. Chop sausage and onion, put in crock pot with beans. Cover with water. Add a couple of bay leaves if you have them. Cook on low all day. Remove bay leaves, sprinkle in pepper. Super filling, very cheap and yummy meal! We like it spicy, so we use hot sausage and add tobasco at the end, but if your family is more on the mild side, you can use a milder sausage and it works just as well.

We also do burritos often - vegetarian refried beans, cheese, lettuce (when we can get it!), onions, olives and tortillas. Warm up the beans and load up the tortilla with your favs.

Not-Your-Usual-Bean-Soup - I got this from my grandmother. 1 small bag red beans. 3 cups pinto beans. 1 onion. Put in crock pot with 1 large can chicken broth. Add water to cover. Cook all day on low. Add pepper to taste and serve. We usually eat it with corn bread, but I imagine that's not actually required.....

Edited by AK_Mom4

Black Beans (this is easy to cut in half, if you need to):

2 cans Goya black beans (I don't like the seasoning in other canned black beans)

1 bay leaf

1 tsp oregano

kosher salt 1/2 tsp

freshly ground pepper 1/4 tsp

The measurements are approximate, I don't really measure. I open the cans and put the seasonings in the cans while I'm prepping everything else.

1 red onion, chopped

1 green bell pepper, chopped

1 cup of white wine, margarita (this is what I usually use, with the tequila mixed in) or chicken stock

Saute the peppers and onions in a little olive oil until they are soft. Add the beans (with seasoning) and liquid of your choice. Bring to a boil then cover and turn down to a simmer for about 20 minutes. I serve these with rice and plantains. Remember, rice and beans together make a complete protein.

I make pinto beans a lot-the Pioneer Woman blog has basic instructions. I add about 4-6 slices of bacon and 1 whole white onion to my beans after they come to a boil. Near the end of cooking (maybe the last 20 minutes) I add around 1 Tbs chili powder, 1 tsp kosher salt (sometimes more), plenty of pepper and several shakes of Tabasco. Sometimes I add tomatoes or Ro-Tel but not usually. Some people add garlic but I don't like garlic in pinto beans (even though I usually love garlic).

I also make 15 bean soup. I use the 15 bean soup mix you find in the bean aisle. I never use the packet of seasoning that comes in it. It has directions but I cook some celery (chop up 4-5 stalks, leaves and all), onion and garlic. I also add chunks of ham and a can of tomatoes. Instead of using all water I use 1/2 water and 1/2 chicken stock. I throw in parsley, thyme, salt and pepper near the end of cooking.

Pasta Fagioli and Black Bean Soup are also great.

Bean with Bacon Soup

In crock pot combine:

1/2 lb. dry navy or great northern beans

4 C. chicken stock + 2 C. water (I make my 'stock' with bullion)

A few bay leaves and/or 1/2 tsp. italian seasoning

Simmer on low all day. Thirty minutes or so before serving, stir in:

1/2 C. diced carrots (more or less to taste)

4 to 8 oz. tomato sauce (to taste)

Just before serving, stir in:

3 oz. (1 bag or jar) of real bacon pieces (more or less to taste, I usually start with 1/2 pkg and go from there)

Serve with crackers, garlic bread, or cornbread.

Greek Lentils (not technically beans I guess...)

1 lb. dry lentils

1 med. onion, diced

1 red pepper, diced

1/2 cup diced carrots

2-3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced

2 stalks celery, chopped

15 oz. can diced tomatoes (or the equivelant in freshly chopped tomatoes)

4 C. stock (vegetable or chicken)

Dill weed

Oregano

Basil

Parsley

Salt

Pepper

Okay, start by sauteeing the celery and carrots in a bit of olive oil. After a few minutes add the garlic and onion. Sautee until garlic and onion are translucent. Stir in canned tomatoes (do not drain). Heat until bubbly. Add stock plus 2-4 cups of water and stir in rinsed lentils. Stir in dry herbs. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, stir, and simmer until lentils are tender, about an 45 minutes to an hour. Serve with crusty bread and a green salad, or over your favorite cooked grain (rice, barley, etc.)

When I make this I usually saute the veggies and then dump everything else in rather than doing the stages, and I have been known to sub 1 Tbsp. of italian seasoning for the basil, parsley, and oregano. If using these seperately you could use 1 tsp. of each, as well as 1/2 tsp. of dill.

The gal who originally shared this recipe said to cook it for four to five hours but it doesn't take that long!

Make sure you keep an eye on it as it cooks and add more water as needed. You can do it in the crock as well.

As an aside: Quiona (keen-wah) is a fabulous, healthy grain that does everything, goes anywhere. It's the little black dress in my kitchen.

Beans...think about what you like to eat and incorporate them into those meals. If you like soups and stews, add them, or add even more. If you like rice, add beans to the rice. Add garbanzo beans (any bean, really!) to salads. Mash them and make hummus spread for pita or crackers. While the Texans here might freak, they really are wonderful in chili! Of course, they great they are in tacos and burritos.

Bean with Bacon Soup

In crock pot combine:

1/2 lb. dry navy or great northern beans

4 C. chicken stock + 2 C. water (I make my 'stock' with bullion)

A few bay leaves and/or 1/2 tsp. italian seasoning

Simmer on low all day. Thirty minutes or so before serving, stir in:

1/2 C. diced carrots (more or less to taste)

4 to 8 oz. tomato sauce (to taste)

Just before serving, stir in:

3 oz. (1 bag or jar) of real bacon pieces (more or less to taste, I usually start with 1/2 pkg and go from there)

Do you use dry beans straight out of the bag or do you soak them prior to placing them in the crockpot?

Red Beans and sausage! 1 pound sausage of your choice. 2 small bags of red beans. 1 onion. Chop sausage and onion, put in crock pot with beans. Cover with water. Add a couple of bay leaves if you have them. Cook on low all day. Remove bay leaves, sprinkle in pepper. Super filling, very cheap and yummy meal! We like it spicy, so we use hot sausage and add tobasco at the end, but if your family is more on the mild side, you can use a milder sausage and it works just as well.

We also do burritos often - vegetarian refried beans, cheese, lettuce (when we can get it!), onions, olives and tortillas. Warm up the beans and load up the tortilla with your favs.

Not-Your-Usual-Bean-Soup - I got this from my grandmother. 1 small bag red beans. 3 cups pinto beans. 1 onion. Put in crock pot with 1 large can chicken broth. Add water to cover. Cook all day on low. Add pepper to taste and serve. We usually eat it with corn bread, but I imagine that's not actually required.....

Do you use dry beans or do you soak them before putting them into the crockpot?

I am a little bit challenged when it comes to cooking;).

Do you use dry beans straight out of the bag or do you soak them prior to placing them in the crockpot?

I've done both and they always turn out fine. If you soak overnight they will cook faster but half the time I forget. If time allows, I've been known to boil them for two minutes then drain before proceeding with my recipe. I think this is supposed to cut down on the, uh, gas...but sometimes I rinse them off and dump them straight in.

Do you use dry beans or do you soak them before putting them into the crockpot?

I am a little bit challenged when it comes to cooking;).

It usually takes about 3 hours to cook dry beans in a crockpot on high. You don't need to soak them first. The only beans you don't want to do this with is kidney beans. They naturally contain a toxin and crockpots don't get hot enough to get rid of it.

Sweet-Sour Beans

2 cans dark kidney beans

1 can black beans

1 can butter beans

1 large can baked beans

1 can green beans

(or you can substitute dried beans)

5 pcs bacon

2 medium onions, chopped

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 T. mustard

1/4 c apple cider vinegar

1 tsp. salt

Fry bacon & crumble; add remaining ingredients (except beans) to bacon drippings and simmer 20 minutes.

Combine w/ bacon & beans; bake 1 hour 350 or 4-6hours in crockpot.

I serve this as a main dish (also, freezes & re-heats well) but can also be a side dish.

Unsloppy Joes is a really good one. The only thing I change is to replace the tomato paste with a really good size squirt of ketchup, and I add about 1 tsp salt. These are really great served with cheese (and pickles if you like them on your sloppy joes).

I don't know if it was metioned on this thread yet, but it really is a lot cheaper to buy your dried beans in bulk, cook them, then separate them into 1 1/2 c containers/freezer bags to freeze. Or you can freeze them all in one bag, crack the frozen bag on something to loosen them after they are frozen and scoop out a can's worth of beans for your recipe.

LEMON RICE AND POTATO-CHICK PEA CURRY (45 min tops)

3 TBSP EVOO, divided

1 medium onion, thinly sliced

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cubed

1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped

14-oz fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained

15-oz can chick peas, drained

Salt and pepper

2 TBSP mild or hot curry powder

2 scallions, chopped

1 1/2 c basmati rice

4 c chicken stock, divided

1 bay leaf, fresh or dried

1 lemon, zested

1 tsp ground turmeric

2 tsp ground coriander

2 tsp ground cumin

1/2 tsp ground cardamom, optional

1 TBSP butter

Heat a deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with 2 TBSP EVOO. Add onion, garlic, potato, and bell pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 to 12 minutes until tender. Uncover and add the tomatoes, chick peas, salt, pepper, curry paste, and 1 cup chicken stock. Simmer 10 to 15 minutes longer. Mix scallions into rice and top with vegetables. While curry is cooking, make the rice. Heat a medium pot over medium heat with EVOO. Add rice and toast for 1 to 2 minutes. Add 3 cups chicken stock and the bay leaf, lemon zest, turmeric, coriander, cumin and cardamom. Cover pot and bring rice to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer rice 18 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork, remove bay leaf and add butter. Toss to coat the rice evenly.

TUSCAN STYLE BEANS (crock pot)

1 TBSP EVOO

3 oz pancetta, chopped (or bacon)

1 lge red onion, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

2 sprigs fresh rosemary (1 tsp dried)

1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley (use fresh)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp black pepper

28 oz can diced tomatoes

2 - 19 oz cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained

Over medium high heat, saute pancetta in oil until just begins to brown. Transfer to CP. Add onion to skillet; saute until softened. Add garlic, rosemary, parsley, salt, pepper. Saute for 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes and bring to boil. Cook for 2 minutes. (Can stop at this point and refrigerate overnight.)

Add beans to crock pot. Pour tomato mixture over beans. Stir. Add just enough water to cover. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours. (If you don't want to do in the CP, let sauce simmer on stove for 20-30 minutes. Add beans and simmer another 20 minutes to heat through.)

One of our favorite fast lunches is opening a can of "butter beans" (large limas), rinsing them, and adding fresh lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. My ds likes eating them plain, while I add salt and pepper (or fresh rosemary, if you have it) to mine. Ds loves them. If I fix a pb& j sandwich and beans, he'll eat the beans FIRST! I neither warm them up nor chill them, although that's always an option.

It sounds strange, but it's fast, easy, pretty cheap, healthy, and.... delicious! Heck, I'll even have them for breakfast. (You *could* add chopped bacon in lieu of the olive oil:D)

Some brands of butter beans are better than others. I buy my beans canned, after calculating the costs of cooking them from dry.... bleh! :tongue_smilie:

P.S. Don't tell my mom. She'd have a fit if she knew I prepared something "not from scratch".... ;)

Rice and Bean Casserole

2 cups cooked rice(white or brown)

1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained (or 1 1/2 cups cooked from dry beans)

1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with chillies

1 cup frozen corn

1 cup salsa

1 cup sour cream or plain yogurt

1 small red onion, chopped

2 cups shredded cheese

Mix rice, beans, tomatoes, corn, salsa, sour cream, onion and 1 cup cheese in a large bowl. Spray a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray, and fill with the rice mixture. Bake uncovered at 350 F for 39 minutes. Top with remaining 1 cup cheese, and bake another 10 minutes, or run it under the broiler until the cheese melts.

You can eat it as is, or wrap it in a tortilla for a tasty burrito.

This was in my paper last week. We are giving it a try.

I don't know if you are familiar with Soulemama but a few months ago she linked a black bean salad recipe from a vegetarian blog. Not only was the black bean salad extraordinary but that blog is an absolute treasure trove of divine recipes. I'm too lazy to find the link for you but if you browse back in teh archives I'm sure you can find it.

Gluten Free Taco Seasoning

1 TBS Potato Starch (optional thickening agent)

1 tsp chili powder

1 tsp paprika

3/4 tsp sea salt

3/4 tsp minced onion

1/2 tsp cumin

1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

1/4 tsp garlic powder

1/4 tsp sugar or cinnamon

1/8 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp cocoa powder

does this store well if I make it in a large quanttity to have on hand.

2 cans Goya black beans (I don't like the seasoning in other canned black beans)

1 bay leaf

1 tsp oregano

kosher salt 1/2 tsp

The measurements are approximate, I don't really measure. I open the cans and put the seasonings in the cans while I'm prepping everything else.

1 red onion, chopped

1 green bell pepper, chopped

1 cup of white wine, margarita (this is what I usually use, with the tequila mixed in) or chicken stock

Can I drink the rest of the margarita? :D

Get the cookbook Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook from the library and check out some of the bean recipes in there. Great!!

Here is one:

Italian White Beans with Pancetta

1 heaping cup dried cannellini beans

A few slices of pancetta or prosciutto, chopped

1/4 cup olive oil

3 shallots, halved

1 medium-size carrot, quartered

2 ribs celery, halved

1 bay leaf

Sprig of fresh thyme or savory

One 15-ounce can chicken broth

Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

4 ounces fresh goat cheese, such as Chabis or Montrachet, crumbled

1/2 cup sliced pitted black olives, or your choice, drained

1. Put the beans in a colander and rinse under cold running water; pick over for damaged beans and small stones. Transfer to the slow cooker and cover by 3 inches with cold water. Soak for 6 to 12 hours, drain and add back tot he cooker.

2. In a medium-size skillet over medium-high heat, cook the pancetta in the olive oil, stirring, for 8 minutes.

3. Add the shallots, carrot, and celery; cook, stirring, until just softened.

4. Transfer the mixture to the beans in the cooker along with the bay leaf and herb sprig. Add the broth and enough water to cover the beans by 2 inches. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours. The beans need to be covered with liquid at all times to cook properly. Towards the end of cooking, season with salt and pepper.

5. When done, the beans will be tender and hold their shape, rather than fall apart. Remove the bay leaf and herb sprig and discard.

Serve the beans in soup bowls, topped with the crumbled goat cheese and sliced olives.

Here is a link to "Old-Fashioned 'One-Pot' Bean Dinner" that looks great, too (I think you can view some more recipes on Google Books!):

http://books.google.com/books?id=cDNRHs_f5P8C&pg=PA209&lpg=PA209&dq=not+your+mother%27s+slow+cooker+old+fashioned+one-pot+bean+dinner&source=bl&ots=cLz0enjCVh&sig=vvOs7xoutpLPHOa9hlxFVZj6Pn4&hl=en&ei=G9UCS9voJdOMnQfT2OFn&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Edited by 6packofun
forgot punctuation!

Here are a few of my family's favorities.

Taco soup (a friend shared this with me and I am ever so grateful) :001_smile:

Fry a pound of ground beef (optional) with a chopped onion. Pour in three cans each of any bean you want (ie. black, kidney, white or navy) with some of the liquid. One small can of sweet green chili peppers chopped and one can of Hominey (white or yellow). Add one package of dried ranch powder and taco seasoning (I buy these bulk so it is cheaper) Boil for 15 minutes or so.

Serve with corn chips and cheese.

Also, I make a Mediterranian Soup.

Four cups water to one package Knorr Minestroni Soup mix (or some equivalant) Bring to boil and add 3/4 cup of red french lentils and 2 cloves crushed garlic. Add one teaspoon cumin and boil for 20 minutes until the lentils are soft. At the end add one can of drained chickpeas and warm through. Serve with crusty bread and pickles. It is very yummy and cheap as it is thick and can stand being watered down.

Good luck with the budget!

It can be done, just takes a bit more work!

1 bay leaf

1 tsp oregano

kosher salt 1/2 tsp

I've been getting cans of Goya black beans at the dollar store.

I also start with 2 cans of Goya black beans, drained and rinsed. Place in a saucepan and add 2 teaspoons of Emeril's Southwest Seasoning (recipe at link below). I like this seasoning because I can make it up in advance and then just have to reach for one jar. Add one minced clove garlic and diced onion to taste. For liquid use about 1/2 cup water and 1-2 T orange juice or juice concentrate if you have it. Lime is good too. :)

Simmer a few minutes to blend flavors.

Emeril's Southwest Seasoning

http://www.recipezaar.com/Emerils-Southwest-Seasoning-23537

I like to make these up to keep on hand to make burritos for lunch.

You didn't ask for rice recipes but I just remembered this one and it goes a long ways. I usually pull it out when I have a few leftover strips of bacon and have a box of good quality chicken stock (on sale, of course!) on the shelf. Since I never have fresh peas, I just go with the frozen kind.

Risi e bisi (Rice and Peas) adapted from Ada Boni, Italian Regional Cooking

3T butter

2 T olive oil

2/3 cup diced lean bacon

1 green onion

2 pints chicken stock (the original recipe calls for double but we like it more risotto-like than soup-like)

1 2/3 cup rice

3 ½ cup shelled peas (I use less—maybe 1 to 1 ½ cup)

salt to taste

¾ cup parmesan cheese

parsley, to taste.

Heat the butter and oil together in a large pan, and gently saute the bacon

and onion. When the bacon is brown, add the peas and moisten with a few

tablespoons of the stock. Cook gently for 15 minutes. Add the rest of the

stock, which must be hot, and bring it to the boil. Pour in the rice, stir well,

lower the heat and cook gently for 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender and

still fairly moist. Add salt if necessary, and sprinkle generously with parmesan cheese and parsley.

Serves 4 to 6.

Calico Beans

In crock pot:

1 (15oz) can each rinsed:

Great Northern Beans

Black Beans

Red Kidney Beans

1 (15oz) can each:

Barbeque baked beans

Maple Cured Bacon Baked beans

1 medium onion

1 lb. Browned ground beef

1 lb. Bacon cooked and crumbled

1-cup ketchup

1-cup brown sugar

1/4-cup vinegar

Cook on High in crock for 3 hrs or low about 5 hrs. (I have also made this in a big fry pan and served soon after cooking for about ½ hr. ) This is delicious either hot or cold. The vinegar won’t change the flavor but it does help in preventing belly bloating