Menu

Confession Thread: Home School Misunderstandings

I have been chucking lately over things I *knew* in my early years of home schooling that were totally totally wrong.

The best one?

When I first started hearing about homeschool I was under the impression that Latina Christiana was.....

..... a social group for Christian ladies of Hispanic descent. :lol:

How about you?

Well, mine aren't nearly as funny . . . or even funny at all. B/f I homeschooled I was a teacher and had never heard of anyone who had ever homeschooled (I taught at a couple of boarding schools. Also, it never came up in college, I guess.) The first time I had heard of homeschoolers was Ruby Ridge and the next time was Waco. That's what I thought homeschoolers were.

Later, when I needed to find a school for my daughter someone mentioned homeschooling and the only image I had popped into my mind (rr/waco). I was flabbergasted that this woman homeschooled. Well, we spied on her and several other homeschoolers at church. After mass at coffee and doughnuts time we'd sit at their tables and eavesdrop, yes we did, to hear how they spoke to their kids, how their kids spoke to them, what they talked about, et c. We discovered that they were normal people.

Another thing I thought, and what took me so long to actually decide to homeschool, was that I would have to write it all from scratch every year. Every year I'd have to write a new English book, a new math book, a new science book and on and on . . . I finally mentioned to someone that I felt that I could homeschool but I just didn't think I could write my math books. She at first couldn't understand but then . . . she just laughed.

Well, this isn't *exactly* what you asked because it was kind of pre-homeschooling but:

When I first heard about hs'ing for the first time EVER (in my early marriage), it was a mother of a large family at church. Can you believe I asked her the "What about socialization?" question? :lol:

A couple years later, out of the blue, while driving in the car, I knew from the Lord that we were to homeschool.

I apologize to that woman to this day when I see her! :)

And I try to be extremely humble and gentle when people ask me the "S" question!

Well, this isn't about homeschooling per se, just something new I learned this week.

We have always said, "I don't feel well" to indicate illness. My closest homeschooling momfriend told me this week that she was taught that it is "I don't feel good" and that "don't feel WELL" is wrong.

Maybe it's a regional thing? :confused:

Guest Virginia Dawn
Well, this isn't about homeschooling per se, just something new I learned this week.

We have always said, "I don't feel well" to indicate illness. My closest homeschooling momfriend told me this week that she was taught that it is "I don't feel good" and that "don't feel WELL" is wrong.

Huh?

You are well or not well. ( adjective, health, mental or physical state)

"Good" for mental or physical state is often common usage but "well" is surely not wrong.

Please don't tell me that is wrong, I'll be confused for the rest of my life.

Huh?

"Good" for mental or physical state is often common usage but "well" is surely not wrong.

Please don't tell me that is wrong, I'll be confused for the rest of my life.

:confused:I always understood "good" to have moral connotations--so if I said I wasn't "good," then I would mean that I was not a good person, not that I was not in a state of good health. :confused:

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/good-versus-well.aspx

You can use either one, really, (when it comes to linking verbs, not action verbs) but usually "well" is more correct when you're talking about your health and "good" is more correct, otherwise.

I was taught the opposite. ("I don't feel well" is correct, and "I don't feel good" is incorrect.) Maybe she was confused?

Well when I first heard about My Father's World, I was excited thinking it was geared at Dad's teaching to kids, maybe more boy friendly, and how cool that would be! I expected it to be more scienc/math-ie.

Never in a million years did it occur to me that it would be religious. And I still didn't get it at first that the whole 'father' thing was talking about god and not just regular dads.

about her "booKs" and her "husbanK" you may recall that her post directed us to a sale at Vision Forum. Somehow, her post left me with the the impression that Vision Forum was a cosmetics site. Since then, every time I read a post about Vision Forum, I think of Elaine and her famous typos :lol:

Mine isn't really funny either. I've been familiar with homeschooling most of my life but I had thought it was just parents who taught their children at home using satellite type schools. My brother graduated using C.L.A.S.S. I was familiar with Abeka & BJU and that was about it. I was thrilled to discover this whole new world of learning!

I wish I had been homeschooled.

I remember that when I was first married I had never heard of homeschooling, but there was this one family at church who homeschooled. It has been more than 20 years now, but I remember *sigh* asking the mom:

1. Is that legal?

2. What about socialization?

Thankfully she is still my friend. I have apologized many times over the years for that initial questioning. I wasn't hostile, but I definitely was clueless. And here we are--we've been a homeschooling family for about 10 years now.

:confused:I always understood "good" to have moral connotations--so if I said I wasn't "good," then I would mean that I was not a good person, not that I was not in a state of good health. :confused:

usually "well" is more correct when you're talking about your health and "good" is more correct, otherwise.

:iagree:

I don't know this for certain, but I always assumed the nomenclature was from the hymn "This Is My Father's World": http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/t/i/tismyfw.htm

Does anyone know if this is right or not?

That's what I assumed, but if you were unfamiliar with the hymn or with the use of "Father" in the sense of "heavenly Father" then I would understand the misconception.

I honestly thought that just by merely homeschooling my children were suddenly going to change their personalities to be really sweet to each other, and obedient with me. That some how these character issues we struggle with daily would magically vanish and we would be that "stereotypical" homeschool family. The one with the nicest and smartest kids, the cleanest house, and none of the issues that families with kids in ps deal with.

I also honestly thought the kids special needs would simply vanish. I had heard so many stories of kids labelled ADHD etc who were "cured" simply by homeschooling. It really came as a shock to me when I had to come to terms with the fact that would not be the case with my kids.

I thought homeschooling families were overprotective and controlling and one of these days those kids were either going to rebel or when they get out "on their own" they were be absolutely terrified of the "real" world. Oh boy... My guys get more of the "real" world by homeschooling than the fabricated world of the school systems.

-shaking my head in shame-

I honestly thought that just by merely homeschooling my children were suddenly going to change their personalities to be really sweet to each other, and obedient with me. That some how these character issues we struggle with daily would magically vanish and we would be that "stereotypical" homeschool family. The one with the nicest and smartest kids, the cleanest house, and none of the issues that families with kids in ps deal with.

I am working through this right now, other than the clean house stuff. :001_smile: I keep thinking that homeschooling is this great panacea or "vaccine" again the negative influences of the public schools in my area. I'm finding that one of my daughters has her moments of being too mouthy and it's just part of who she is. Public school might make it worse, but keeping her home isn't necessarily curing her of it, if that makes sense.

I also honestly thought the kids special needs would simply vanish. I had heard so many stories of kids labelled ADHD etc who were "cured" simply by homeschooling. It really came as a shock to me when I had to come to terms with the fact that would not be the case with my kids.

Yup...It was really hard for me to realize that homeschooling was NOT a silver bullet to perfect kids or a perfect family. AND I SO wanted perfect kids and a perfect family.

I also thought homeschooling was for religious fanatics (the school superintendent had told me that) and I wasn't, so....I waited a few years to pull my kids from school ...by then I was a Jesus Freak.

My other biggest misconception was that we had to do it all together. The homeschooling group that I was aquained with was very Gothardesque...which I ran like heck from (no offense to anyone who follow Gothard...just so not me....) and had pushed Unit Studies and teaching all the kiddoes together. This never worked for us...except in Lit read alouds or History. BUT...OH boy did I give it the ol' college try. My poor kids :-p

Last misconception...we could be finished by noon with lots of time left over to DO stuff...UMMMMMMMMMM...Nope...

~~Faithe

Last misconception...we could be finished by noon with lots of time left over to DO stuff...UMMMMMMMMMM...Nope...

:lol: HA! Finished by noon...doing stuff... :lol:

Yeah, me too.

Although, we have chalked up some pretty efficient days around here. They're usually immediately offset by a ridiculous "still working on writing at 7:30" type of day.

I remember watching some talk show about homeschooling families when dh and I were first married. I looked at dh and said "Hrmph. Wow, you must really think something about yourself to homeschool! They think they're SO smart they can teach ALL the subjects themselves. Do they have more training then teachers?! I don't think so!" :blushing:

~~Faithe

Um, yeah, still struggling with this one (and the 4 day school week). I actually can manage it for the 3rd graders and under, but I don't just have 3rd grade and under any more. :blink:

I guess mine would be that the kids would just be bursting with curiosity and want to learn. You know, like we would gather around the dining room table to have long stimulating conversations and the kids would beg to go off and do their own projects? Sometimes this happens, but a lot of the time, it is just discipline, persistence, and hard work.