Menu

How would you advise this family who wants to homeschool?

A Christian family I know have approached me to learn more about homeschooling. Their children, ages 6 & 8 are currently in a small country public school and doing OK, but not great. They are getting ready to move because they have lost their home due to forclosure (husband lost his job) and the husband has said they will not put their children in the public schools here.

So the mom is planning on homeschooling, and was thinking of using K-12 (online charter school) but they are strong christians and are very concerned about the content and time required to teach the children. The youngest has several medical issues that make it difficult to have long school days due to exhaustion.

The mom needs something completely laid out and easy to teach so I recommended Heart of Dakota to her and she really likes the looks of it. BUT BUT BUT here is the kicker, I found out she is not a very good reader. I showed her Trumpet of the Swans which I am reading right now to my younger girls and she said she "thinks" she could read that but it could be hard.

I told her to get books on tape and follow along with a book to improve her own reading, but I am concerned that maybe she is just not going to be able to give her daughters a good education if she can't read very well. I would love to recommend to her something like Abeka or BJU video school, but they just don't have the money. She wants me to evaluate her children to see if I think they are up to grade level and I am wondering if I should have her read to me as well.

What would you do in this situation?

Oh, wow. I would not tell anyone what to do, but I get very uncomfortable feelings about someone who has low literacy, homeschooling. Do you live in a state where she could use a tutor for some of it as the kids get older? And maybe a tutor to help her. That's really sad.

Why not suggest something like Abeka, everything laid out for her, Christian and does not require mom to be a strong reader from what I have understood.

The other option is to have mom working on her own reading now with the girls. They are so young they will still be doing phonics instruction and such and she can be strengthening her reading while working with them. i do not think a living book program will be a good fit. But a textbook or workbook one might.

Another option could be CLE.

I think it could work since they are so young. If she goes through a phonics program with them, it could help a ton and help set her up to homeschool in later years. She needs to be very motivated to fix her reading skills though.

If it were me, I would totally be into tutoring her. But I love tutoring.

... she is not a very good reader. I showed her Trumpet of the Swans which I am reading right now to my younger girls and she said she "thinks" she could read that but it could be hard.

Honestly--and I know this is not likely to be a popular opinion here--I would advise her not to homeschool. Taking the children out of one bad educational situation only to put them into another only does them a disservice. Mom is likely to feel overwhelmed and frustrated, which will result in under-educated and frustrated children.

No amount of "hand holding" by a curriculum can make up for an educator who can't grasp the material herself.

I think K12 would be a good idea because of the built-in support that it would offer. From my understanding of K12, it is a fairly conservative program (correct me if I'm wrong) and it would be so much better to have someone else provide the structure since it won't come naturally to Mom. Then, if there are issues with what they are teaching she can deal with those individually.

Nor did I. But reading is a pretty fundamental skill. Someone who can't read well isn't going to be able to grasp the material of any subject sufficiently to homeschool well.

While I see this to be true at the upper levels, the girls are 6 and 8 so grade 1 & 3. I think even with poor reading ability she should be able to teach grade 1 & 3 and improve her own reading while teaching the girls phonics, reading and writing.

This was my first thought. However, if I think about my math abilities I would be a hypocrite to say something about someone's reading abilities. I work on math every single day and I really feel like I'm learning a lot and will be able to help my children. I am very motivated to do the best job I can. Maybe this woman feels the same? I can't say for sure, but giving the benefit of the doubt you don't think a person can ever find a way to make it work?

Reading is considerably more fundamental than math, unless we're talking about basic arithmetic. And in that case, I also believe that someone who doesn't understand basic arithmetic shouldn't homeschool.

I think it's possible to make homeschooling work in most situations, but some situations require more considerable effort than others. In the case of a primary educator who doesn't read well and who is under the additional strain of foreclosure and unemployment, the children aren't being well served. Nor, for that matter, is the mother.

While I see this to be true at the upper levels, the girls are 6 and 8 so grade 1 & 3. I think even with poor reading ability she should be able to teach grade 1 & 3 and improve her own reading while teaching the girls phonics, reading and writing.

Under better circumstances all around (home and financial stability), that might be true; but this seems like a tough time to put any members of the family under further strain.

I think K12 would be a good idea because of the built-in support that it would offer. From my understanding of K12, it is a fairly conservative program (correct me if I'm wrong) and it would be so much better to have someone else provide the structure since it won't come naturally to Mom. Then, if there are issues with what they are teaching she can deal with those individually.

:iagree: I personally know a family who has a gifted child, an average child, and a child with disabilities that use K12. It has worked out so well for them! You might consider suggesting K12 for now, and tell the fam take thier time to choose a curric. It is pretty middle of the road, completely laid out and fairly easy to use, IMO, and therefore, a pretty safe choice in the land of unsure.

Am I the only one who thinks that homeschool is far less strain than ps?

Nope. :001_smile: School would be considerably more strain for my family than homeschooling is.

But how stressful it is depends on so many other factors. Under the OP family's current circumstances, with unemployment and foreclosure looming, the stress on everyone is likely to be pretty high already. Adding trying to be a full-time educator to mom's burden seems to be asking for trouble. There might be a time when homeschooling could work out for this family, but I don't believe that time is now.

Nope. :001_smile: School would be considerably more strain for my family than homeschooling is.

But how stressful it is depends on so many other factors. Under the OP family's current circumstances, with unemployment and foreclosure looming, the stress on everyone is likely to be pretty high already. Adding trying to be a full-time educator to mom's burden seems to be asking for trouble. There might be a time when homeschooling could work out for this family, but I don't believe that time is now.

For me, if I were in that situation, having to send my son to ps on top of it all would send me over the edge. :tongue_smilie:

Honestly--and I know this is not likely to be a popular opinion here--I would advise her not to homeschool. Taking the children out of one bad educational situation only to put them into another only does them a disservice. Mom is likely to feel overwhelmed and frustrated, which will result in under-educated and frustrated children.

No amount of "hand holding" by a curriculum can make up for an educator who can't grasp the material herself.

I am a "it's almost always possible to homeschool" type. I encourage homeschoolers to continue and encourage others to consider it. I think homeschooling can work in a variety of situations.

And yet I completely agree with the above quoted post. Reading on an adequate level by the primary homeschooling parent is a base-line for me. Any homeschooling parent should be able to confidently handle the Trumpet of the Swan.

I *have* the Robinson Curriculum. How could a parent adequately supervise that amount of reading and writing if they aren't adequate readers themselves?

Nor did I. But reading is a pretty fundamental skill. Someone who can't read well isn't going to be able to grasp the material of any subject sufficiently to homeschool well.

Maybe she has a problem that never was diagnosed. I'd say... see if she could get diagnosed so she could find out her problem... perhaps her kids have it, too.

Then, Start her on something like SWR. Sometimes if you ask on here, people have used things that they'll give.

Have her look back at the sites for free information.

Ask her if this is something she really feels like they should do.... Sometimes Christian Schools have scholarships...

Carrie:-)

I think she should get an easy to manage canned curriculum, and learn to read. She may take off like a rocket. If she doesn't, then she may have a learning disability. I don't think she has a real problem for at least 1 year.

At the end of the year everyone, she included, will have a much better degree of insight into whether she "can" homeschool or not.

When I think of all the things I work hard to learn or relearn, with or ahead of my children, in order to homeschool them well, I honestly cannot imagine doing so while also needing to strengthen my basic reading skills.

Maybe I'm projecting. I find it important to be able to read adult books like TWTM and other titles on educational philosophies in order to stay focused and motivated. Even though I consider myself a strong reader, it's not uncommon for me to come across a few passages that might require a dictionary or some mental diagramming :).

I suppose there'd be fewer issues with a program like K-12 (I've used Connections Academy for K and 5th), but there's still a good deal of reading involved.

It just does not sound like a good idea to me.

There are adult literacy programs all over the place. If there is no underlying disability she could be up to speed and reading well in a matter of a few weeks. Elizabeth B has those online reading lessons that would help a lot. Once mom is reading well she would do great with something like HOD, MFW or just WTM.

I agree. Rod & Staff even has a remedial reading program that Mom might be able to use for herself.

I wouldn't start the children in something lit-based, though, until Mom feels more confident with her own abilities. ACE might be a good starting point, especially if the children weren't doing well in their previous school. Yes, I know ACE isn't popular on this board, but this family needs a comfortable starting place. With ACE, they can take the diagnostic tests and be placed into the right pace numbers *based on reading level*.

Then, once Mom has become a more confident reader and the children are into a good learning routine at home, Mom can begin to educate herself on the various methods and options available to her. Perhaps by then they'll be settled into a new home and community, too.

I'll be praying for this family's "new start"!

Let us not forget that all of us must learn something in order to be effective home schoolers. I had to learn Latin in a draconian crash course over the summer.

I survived, my Latin student thrives. These things tend to work out. Besides, I learn something practically ever week in my eldest child's European History books. Don't all home school parents learn along side their kids? I'm not ashamed to admit I'm learning things.

For me, if I were in that situation, having to send my son to ps on top of it all would send me over the edge. :tongue_smilie:

This is true for us too.

In fact, K12 would be last ditch Hail Mary option. We can't imagine ever going ft to a b&m school.

I think her dc are young enough that hsing them could be a double blessing for her. BUT and this huge, it's going to hurt a bit at first.

If she can't afford a completed boxed curriculum than she should absolutely get the complete reading, writing, and math portions of an excellently scripted program such as abeka.

And I don't think you should be evaluating her or her kids in place of a formal evaluation, which she needs to have done. It's nothing against you, but if there's a ld issue then that needs to noticed. Now if she does get that evaluation done and needs some help matching curriculum level to it - I think that would be very kind of you.

Bless your heart, and bless her as well for her willingness to try! I haven't read all your responses yet, but this just tugged at my heart. What a wonderful opportunity for her to learn right alongside her children. She would gain confidence that would extend past their school lessons. She could begin with them both at the beginning...calling it a good *review*...with perhaps the Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading...and go as slowly or as quickly as they all could. I sure didn't know everything in our beginnings, but we learned together. You could be so instrumental to her with helping her find the appropriate resources for them to use. As long as her heart is right and she has a true desire to teach her children, she will do just fine.

ETA...Perhaps a simple program like Five In A Row would be a nice ice breaker, with AO Lifepacks for math and language arts.

Edited by Blueridge

This was my first thought. However, if I think about my math abilities I would be a hypocrite to say something about someone's reading abilities. I work on math every single day and I really feel like I'm learning a lot and will be able to help my children. I am very motivated to do the best job I can. Maybe this woman feels the same? I can't say for sure, but giving the benefit of the doubt you don't think a person can ever find a way to make it work?

I thought about this when I was reading the OP's post. Before I started HSing I could not do basic algebra, but I have taught myself that and geometry so far. Teaching my kids has provided alot of motivation to learn new things.

I know someone who can not read due to Dyslexia. She taught all of her children to read and schooled them through high school. They did reasonably well from what I hear. She was tutored for years and tried to learn to read, but could not. She stopped the tutoring after her youngest surpassed her reading level.

Really, once you teach the basic sounds to a child and they grasp the concept of blending sounds into words, acquiring reading skills is done independently with time and practice. I would only recommend an independent curriculum. Possibly CLE? Sorry, I have no idea about K-12.

I agree. Rod & Staff even has a remedial reading program that Mom might be able to use for herself.

I wouldn't start the children in something lit-based, though, until Mom feels more confident with her own abilities. ACE might be a good starting point, especially if the children weren't doing well in their previous school. Yes, I know ACE isn't popular on this board, but this family needs a comfortable starting place. With ACE, they can take the diagnostic tests and be placed into the right pace numbers *based on reading level*.

Then, once Mom has become a more confident reader and the children are into a good learning routine at home, Mom can begin to educate herself on the various methods and options available to her. Perhaps by then they'll be settled into a new home and community, too.

I'll be praying for this family's "new start"!

:iagree: with Donna. I think ACE would be a good fit. I would not recommend K12 for a dc who gets easily exhausted. It can be very exhausting for the normal/advanced child. I've heard 2nd hand that ACE is a light load, and self explanatory for the child. I think it would be a good starting place also, until they are all more comfortable with everything that will be new.

I don't recommend evaluating the children for her, though. I think she should do the evaluations herself with the help of the curriculum company she uses, or if she goes the virtual school route, through them.

Originally Posted by Trixie viewpost.gif

I am a "it's almost always possible to homeschool" type. I encourage homeschoolers to continue and encourage others to consider it. I think homeschooling can work in a variety of situations.

And yet I completely agree with the above quoted post. Reading on an adequate level by the primary homeschooling parent is a base-line for me. Any homeschooling parent should be able to confidently handle the Trumpet of the Swan.

I *have* the Robinson Curriculum. How could a parent adequately supervise that amount of reading and writing if they aren't adequate readers themselves?

I also agree.

If she really wants to homeschool, I would at least look into having her find an adult literacy program for herself first. These are free through the local community colleges here, but most areas have something like this to offer. There is no way I would advise someone to homeschool who did not read well.

I'm amazed at you gals who say she shouldn't even try. :001_huh: Whatever happened to self-learning, encouragement, and motivation to improve one's self? Some of you have written her completely off before she's even had a chance to find out what she needs to do. :confused:

:iagree: I personally know a family who has a gifted child, an average child, and a child with disabilities that use K12. It has worked out so well for them! You might consider suggesting K12 for now, and tell the fam take thier time to choose a curric. It is pretty middle of the road, completely laid out and fairly easy to use, IMO, and therefore, a pretty safe choice in the land of unsure.

I love K12 as well, however, can she read the lessons and books to her dc? Does the school offer daily classes on all of the topics that are teacher led or is it mostly parent led? Some cyber charters offer many teacher led classes as an option. The lessons and instructions for the parents involve a lot of reading. Also, if she is not able to model fluent reading, then how will she impart these skills to her dc?

I'm amazed at you gals who say she shouldn't even try. :001_huh: Whatever happened to self-learning, encouragement, and motivation to improve one's self? Some of you have written her completely off before she's even had a chance to find out what she needs to do. :confused:

The first year of homeschooling can be trying under the best of circumstances, as evidenced by the number of frazzled new homeschoolers seeking help on homeschooling forums because they're ready to throw in the towel. The difficulty is compounded in this situation by the family's current housing/financial situation and the mother's poor reading skills.

In time, if the mother is able to overcome her deficit and the family is able to weather their other difficulties, I might have a different opinion.

Edited by Trixie

I'm amazed at you gals who say she shouldn't even try. :001_huh: Whatever happened to self-learning, encouragement, and motivation to improve one's self?

Do all that BEFORE you homeschool.

Some of you have written her completely off before she's even had a chance to find out what she needs to do. :confused:

Yup. It is not a good idea.

I think it depends on how much effort she is willing and able to put in. To begin home educating, she only needs to be reading better than her kids, which I'd assume she can if the eldest is only 8. If she can find time end energy to work on her skills, she will be able to stay ahead of them until they are old enough to take on more responsibility for their own work. Is there some kind of adult literacy program that could help her in this area? It could be a wonderful example if the kids see their mom learning and gaining confidence.

The other option for them to consider would be for the husband to take on some or all of the home schooling. This would obviously depend on the potential work situation for both of them, as well as their feelings about how the family should function. But even if they don't feel it's a realistic option for him to be the main teacher, he might be able to help out with certain parts or at certain times.

I agree with Mindy here. We are doing K12. It is a very solid curriculum, although, of course, not 'Christian'. We are Christians and would rather provide our kids religious instruction ourselves than through any curriculum.

K12 is rigorous, but flexible. The students are provided with a teacher who would help with academic issues. They would be placed where they belong in terms of abilities. It is planned out completely, which I am loving.

To begin home educating, she only needs to be reading better than her kids, which I'd assume she can if the eldest is only 8.

I'm not so sure. The OP mentioned that the mom thinks she could read "The Trumpet of the Swan" but that it could be hard for her.

You could feel her out and see if she's willing to learn right along with her dc. I can't tell you how much I've learned, just at that 5th/6th grade level, and even before now.:blushing: With the wisdom of an adult (how to learn more and dig deeper), I don't see why it can't be done and done well.

Based on the OP ~ It's not that she can't read - she's not a good reader. Scholastic puts this book at early 5th grade level. I say it's lower than that, but still she's reading say on a 3rd or 4th or even 5th grade level with reading. She could easily homeschool a 6 and 8 year old.

I think ACE might be a good program for them. I am not sure if it's in their budget. But it would be a good way for her and the kids to learn.

If you can evaluate them all that could be very beneficial.

It's possible she reads better than she thinks she does in small chunks. Sometimes it's getting through the whole book that is hard for struggling readers but small passages are no problem. If that's the case, she may do just fine schooling the kids.

Based on the OP ~ It's not that she can't read - she's not a good reader. Scholastic puts this book at early 5th grade level. I say it's lower than that, but still she's reading say on a 3rd or 4th or even 5th grade level with reading. She could easily homeschool a 6 and 8 year old.

I think ACE might be a good program for them. I am not sure if it's in their budget. But it would be a good way for her and the kids to learn.

If you can evaluate them all that could be very beneficial.

It's possible she reads better than she thinks she does in small chunks. Sometimes it's getting through the whole book that is hard for struggling readers but small passages are no problem. If that's the case, she may do just fine schooling the kids.

:iagree: My middle dd is this way. It isn't that she can't read. She reads just fine. But longer books (and small print) intimidate her and make her feel overwhelmed... like she "can't" do it. Which simply isn't true.

The first year of homeschooling can be trying under the best of circumstances, as evidenced by the number of frazzled new homeschoolers seeking help on homeschooling forums because they're ready to throw in the towel. The difficulty is compounded in this situation by the family's current housing/financial situation and the mother's poor reading skills.

In time, if the mother is able to overcome her deficit and the family is able to weather their other difficulties, I might have a different opinion.

Which is exactly why I suggested ACE for that first year.... ACE is nowhere near the depth of, say, WTM, and is much more doable for someone who, well, as you put it, has "poor reading skills". But you say that not even knowing to what extent her reading skills are "poor".

Just because one's first year of homeschooling might be difficult doesn't mean they shouldn't do it. If we only did what we knew with great confidence that we could do very well, then many of us wouldn't be here. One doesn't have to be a scholar like SWB to be a successful homeschooler. This mom has many options available to her, both in homeschool curriculum for the children, and in increasing her own reading abilities and confidence level. She should be allowed to try.... with support, encouragement, and help, not condemnation before she's even gotten out of the gate. Isn't that why we live in America?

I think she should try...but I do think she needs to figure out the reading problem first. Does she have a vision processing disorder? Dyslexia? Just never paid attention. If she wants to homeschool...I think that's great. But being able to read fluently is pretty integral to homeschooling...now, I know there are exceptions...but in general, I think that's a basic that most can agree on.

Not being able to read doesn't mean she isn't smart, or couldn't understand the information...if she doesn't read well she is probably really good at processing visual and auditory information. She could be supremely intelligent, so I'm not suggesting at all that she should not homeschool.

I do think she should be evaluated and figure out what's going on...and rectify it, before starting (unless her children are in physical danger).

I think it depends on how much effort she is willing and able to put in. To begin home educating, she only needs to be reading better than her kids, which I'd assume she can if the eldest is only 8.

This would really depend on the child...at eight I was reading at a college level.

There are adult literacy programs all over the place. If there is no underlying disability she could be up to speed and reading well in a matter of a few weeks. Elizabeth B has those online reading lessons that would help a lot. Once mom is reading well she would do great with something like HOD, MFW or just WTM.

:iagree:with all of the above posts.

She says she doesn't read well. Is that outloud? Is there a learning disability? Can she take adult literacy an evening a week?

There's no reason she couldn't learn to read better as she taught her children. Its not that she can't read at all, but not 'well', which makes me wonder about her own poor school experience. Being at home, helping her own children learn to read would strengthen her skills and keep her ahead of them, I've no doubt, especially if this is something that she feels prayer led to do.

It honestly bothers me how people with poor literacy are marginalized in today's world, and written off as a quick 'can't'. Wolf's bfamily has many people in it that are completely illiterate, and it breaks my heart. :crying: Lovely people, ashamed of their inability to read, having bought into someone shaming them, telling them they were stupid, dropping out at 6th grade (the folks I'm thinking about in particular)...its tragic.

I also agree that Dad could be helping out too.

I think she should try...but I do think she needs to figure out the reading problem first. Does she have a vision processing disorder? Dyslexia? Just never paid attention. If she wants to homeschool...I think that's great. But being able to read fluently is pretty integral to homeschooling...now, I know there are exceptions...but in general, I think that's a basic that most can agree on.

Not being able to read doesn't mean she isn't smart, or couldn't understand the information...if she doesn't read well she is probably really good at processing visual and auditory information. She could be supremely intelligent, so I'm not suggesting at all that she should not homeschool.

I do think she should be evaluated and figure out what's going on...and rectify it, before starting (unless her children are in physical danger).

I do agree with this and said so (in less words) in my first post. And the ACE curriculum is one that her children can do almost completely independently. Between what Mom is able to do right now, plus Dad's help, the children could begin right away using ACE *while* Mom is getting the help she needs, gaining confidence, and then, self-educating on other homeschool methods and curriculum choices.

And again, at the levels at which the 6 and 8yo's probably read, Mom could be learning right along with them! (Depending on what the problem is, of course.)

K12 for the 8yo and some solid basics like OPGTR for the 6yo (Mom will likely increase her reading level as she teaches reading to the 6yo).

Really, compared to many 1st grade classrooms....mom has a LOT of leeway before she messes up worse than the ps would...jmNSHo...

I might be worried about the 8yo, but k12 might fit the need for this year atleast.

I think that no one should be written off so quickly. She could homeschool - it wouldn't be easy but for any family and any HS mom there are unique challenges. For us it is that both DH and I work full time in different places - we homeschool in the evenings primarily (with independent work throughout the day at DH's work - our cafe). On the surface it looks like it could not / should not be done. But it has worked well and we are getting amazing results.

She could look into K12. She could also use CLE (they can even offer assistance for placement for the children). To round out their education if she would like, there are audio books that they could enjoy together (many well-read moms use these with no judgements). There are also simple science kits, etc. The mom could just not be confident in her ability to read because, like many people, they don't read as much as others do. With practice comes confidence.

Just my 2 cents.

~Angela

A Christian family I know have approached me to learn more about homeschooling. Their children, ages 6 & 8 are currently in a small country public school and doing OK, but not great. They are getting ready to move because they have lost their home due to forclosure (husband lost his job) and the husband has said they will not put their children in the public schools here.

So the mom is planning on homeschooling, and was thinking of using K-12 (online charter school) but they are strong christians and are very concerned about the content and time required to teach the children. The youngest has several medical issues that make it difficult to have long school days due to exhaustion.

The mom needs something completely laid out and easy to teach so I recommended Heart of Dakota to her and she really likes the looks of it. BUT BUT BUT here is the kicker, I found out she is not a very good reader. I showed her Trumpet of the Swans which I am reading right now to my younger girls and she said she "thinks" she could read that but it could be hard.

I told her to get books on tape and follow along with a book to improve her own reading, but I am concerned that maybe she is just not going to be able to give her daughters a good education if she can't read very well. I would love to recommend to her something like Abeka or BJU video school, but they just don't have the money. She wants me to evaluate her children to see if I think they are up to grade level and I am wondering if I should have her read to me as well.

No way. Someone who has trouble reading EB White should NOT be homeschooling. IMHO, that should be illegal and probably is in plenty of places. Seems like asking for a child neglect case. . . maybe getting her kids taken away. Those kids should go to public school and she should look for paying work, IMHO. I'd advise the mom about where the better schools are (help her research it) and advise her on afterschooling bible, etc and using her "free time" while the kids are at school to improve her own literacy, get paying work, and do her daily tasks so she can enjoy her afterschool time with her kids.

Not everyone should homeschool. This is an open-shut case of someone who shouldn't IMHO.