Menu

What do boys in the 10-12ish range want for Christmas and Birthdays?

What about video games or an ipod? A cell phone? His own computer? Lego mindstorms? Gadgets are very cool for this age group.

Weapons can be cool also as the other posters suggested. What is the climate like where you live though? Outdoor things like guns aren't so much fun in mountains of snow. If you do go the weapon route, I would think an air rifle would be better than a bb gun.

My oldest has reached that tough stage. He's only given me a few ideas and they've already been purchased.

He's asking for a Spangler Science Lab in the Bag, Thames & Kosmos Physics set, a build it yourself R/C car (I went with the Elenco version to see how into it he is without investing a lot), and a specific Bionical. I still need at least 3 other ideas (some of the above will be from Grandparents). He also has a birthday coming up.

We have a variety of Legos, but they do not get played with often. K'nex were a flop here. Last year his gift was a workshop in the basement, tool box, tools, nails, and pile of wood.

He's into tinkering, motors, and likes to invent things? Any suggestions?

My boys like electronic monopoly.

I have 5 boys ages 10-13! They are getting (not all from me, grandparents are helping):

ear phones - they go through these a lot

nicer shirts - in great need

wallets

hats - very popular here

one wants a cross necklace, I am not sure about that

computer game that has fun and education mixed...

IF we had lots of money and fewer children and I didn't think that the holidays were better with just one special gift and a couple of littler things, I would add in:

rip sticks, like a skateboard, but more challenging

skateboards

inline trick skates

new bikes

new scooter, for the one who wont bike or skateboard

We get tired of monitoring and limiting video games, and they have WAY too much in that line, so nothing like that will be a gift this year. In fact, it would be lovely if I could talk them into packing up some of their systems and giving them as gifts to others...

My oldest has reached that tough stage. He's only given me a few ideas and they've already been purchased.

He's asking for a Spangler Science Lab in the Bag, Thames & Kosmos Physics set, a build it yourself R/C car (I went with the Elenco version to see how into it he is without investing a lot), and a specific Bionical. I still need at least 3 other ideas (some of the above will be from Grandparents). He also has a birthday coming up.

We have a variety of Legos, but they do not get played with often. K'nex were a flop here. Last year his gift was a workshop in the basement, tool box, tools, nails, and pile of wood.

He's into tinkering, motors, and likes to invent things? Any suggestions?

My ds10 wants a mini-lathe for wood turning (my Dad turns and has gotten ds hooked when we visit them).

I think we're getting Lego Mindstorms this year. I know you said the Legos don't get played with much, but he might enjoy the robotic kit.

For his 10th birthday, he got a Flip video camera.

My 11 year old still wants Legos and Playmobil, and interestingly so do many of his friends even though their parents are surprised their son isn't the only one.

That said, the Flip was his recent birthday present from the family and it has gotten an amazing amount of use -- both play, and he makes documentaries, and vacation movies.

He's asked for some movie making software for Christmas.

The Mac I got for my use recently has been largely taken over by him, so if something like that's in your budget, woohoo. My son finds all sorts of "how to use the Mac" videos on-line, and we've taken some Mac classes at the store, and all of a sudden he's my computer guru. It is really great for my husband who's even less computer savvy than I am.

I just got him the new Diary of a Wimpy Kid book but it will be hard to wait for Christmas to give it to him. :001_smile:

My 11 yr old loves bakugon, yu-gi-oh, lego's, graphic novels, playmobile, his pellet gun(like a bb gun but is a handgun that shoots plastic pellets, he finds then in the park to reuses one others have shot), and his tools. For christmas this year he is getting a digital camera (his santa gift), a replica davy crocket rifle(from corps of rediscovery), a replica powder horn(also from CoR), a playmobile set, a leather stamping kit, pellet refills and a make your own coon tail hat (from his sister).

From others he will get clothes, video games, and bakugon sets.

My ds, 11 in a couple of weeks, wants (or already has and loves!):

Airsoft stuff

iPod touch

Lego Mindstorms and regular Lego blocks

Swiss Army knife

video games

Percy Jackson book series

guitar, picks, guitar bag, stand, distortion pedal, amp, etc.

Spy stuff

RipStik, skateboard

Oldest ds wants: rocket stuff (he's in to high powered rocketry and this stuff gets EXPENSIVE!! but maybe yours would like a rocket kit?), and a laptop

Ds11 wants: sports memorabilia, IPod Nano

Things they already have that they love:

knives

guns - airsoft and bb guns

Nerf guns

Electric guitar

What about a set of tools with plans to make something? My oldest has already bought for himself a scroll saw and a table-top belt sander. He uses these for model rockets. But, a basic set of tools is a great gift too!

(I'm sending the kids away so they won't see what they're getting.)

Ds13 will get a lapbook.

Ds11 will get an Ipod.

My hubby is getting the sports memorabilia!!

A gift for the three boys is a unicycle!!!!! I always try to surprise them with something fun that they won't know about.

My 12 year olds list includes: video camera, laptop, camera, psp, itouch, new cell phone... NO he is not getting all of these, but how about something electronic.

:iagree: My son is 11 and his only gift request this year is a PSP. He said he is willing to have this be his only gift since it is pricey. While he enjoys things like legos, Transformers, etc. since he turned about 10 they have taken a back seat to electronics.

His one gift request from his grandparents is an Ipod. He said that he'd be happy if these were the only 2 things he gets.

My ds12 has been enjoying the board game Memoirs 44. It's a WW2 game, where you set up actual battles from WW2 and then re-enact them. He loves it. There are also additional add-ons that you can buy to keep the game exciting. The only downside is that it is pricey.

Cougarmom,

Where do you get this game? Can you post a link to some more info?

Thanks!

I haven't read all the responses, so these may have been mentioned already. My DS is 12 now and these are some of the things that he has asked for/wanted in the past few years:

Blow Dart Gun and Target

BB Gun

Wii and Wii games

DS and DS games

Bowling ball and bag

Bike

MP3 player

digital camera

computer games

Field Guides (birds, insects, etc.)

cash (to buy these things if I wouldn't buy them, LOL)

robe and slippers

DVD movies

pocket knife (he hasn't gotten this one yet)

fishing gear

inline skates

skateboard

pogo stick

binoculars

... he seems to have outgrown the Legos now but at 10 and 11 he still wanted them.

We got ds a camcorder -- not an expensive one. He and dh downloaded free software to create stop action movies and he's been uploading them to YouTube ever since. Even has his own channel. He can spend hours posing his little figures, doing his thing. The camcorder has been a HUGE hit around here.

Cougarmom,

Where do you get this game? Can you post a link to some more info?

Thanks!

Okay, so I had the title of the game a little wrong. It's Memoir 44, not Memoirs 44.

http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/

I looked into it at the above site, but purchased it at our local family game store, Funfinity (for $50). (Ouch...but it was worth it...we were studying WWII together...)

I highly recommend it. If you have further questions, let me know.

Edited by cougarmom4

Okay, so I had the title of the game a little wrong. It's Memoir 44, not Memoirs 44.

http://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/

I looked into it at the above site, but purchased it at our local family game store, Funfinity (for $50). (Ouch...but it was worth it...we were studying WWII together...)

I highly recommend it. If you have further questions, let me know.

This looks really interesting. Thanks for the link!