Menu

Decluttering challenge, anyone? 100 items this week

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Four more bags in the garage! Yay!

Wow, you're on fire! I haven't spent the time I wanted to yet, but I managed to Freecycle 10 boxes of oatmeal that no one here likes today. I'm back to cleaning my bedroom tonight, and can hopefully tackle those stupid stuffed animals after bedtime *mwaaaahahahah!!!*

I got rid of 5 "yard size" bags full of junk. 2 from my room and closet mostly clothes lol. 3 bags from my boys room WOO HOO! They didnt even notice I was tossing their "junk" like crazy.

I'm ready to toss more stuff tomorrow. I'll hit the boys closet, and my little girls room.

My dh and I are so excited about this that we have decided we need to get rid of 100 items on average for each person in our family with a grand total of 400 for our family. It's a contest now. My youngest got rid of 32 books tonight in about an hour.

Thanks to the original poster for the inspiration! We need to clean out our closets, bookshelves, kitchen drawers!

I'm up to 12 items, including an old iron that hasn't worked in months. I had a partial bag of diapers that are now too small for Madelynn so I made a small diaper cake with them that I'm taking to MOPS today; it has 33 diapers in it but I only counted it as one item. :lol:

I have a 13 gallon trash bag of boy clothes going to a friend with twin boys today. I have another 13 gallon trash bag of baby clothes going to MOPS.

Okay, by Sunday night... I think we'll give it a try, as long as size doesn't matter!

I need to craigslist some things anyway, to have extra cash for the next theater season.

Thanks for the idea! Now to get the kids on board...

ETA: Perhaps you meant Sunday the 18th....I will consider it challenge enough to meet this by Sunday the 25th...still going for it!

Oh, I'm in! But I may give you all a run for your money :D We are moving out of state, and I'm doing some MAJOR declutter.

Since Saturday we have decluttered:

Burned a huge amount of scrap wood from dh's woodshop

Disposed of a dresser, and 5 doors.

I have gotten rid of 4 HUGE lawn size bags of stuffed animals.

2 bags of clothes, working on another

a large box of unused dishes

I have 3 or 4 boxes of books to trade in at the book store

2 bags of toys

I still need to work on reducing our bedding...we have an insane amount of blankets, sheets and comforters. I still have craft room/sewing stuff to go through and my dh hasn't begun on his office yet.

ETA: Perhaps you meant Sunday the 18th....I will consider it challenge enough to meet this by Sunday the 25th...still going for it!

No, I definitely meant the 25th! Though I would have loved to have gotten that far that night :D

I'm so glad to see we're not the only ones drowning in stuffed animals. Even as a kid, I didn't like them!

We have gone through a lot of the kids stuff. We've already done the play food, Katie's baby toys, and 3 bins of the boys stuff. We sorted everything into keep, give away and trash.

Thankfully the boys didn't actually make me count each thing. It would have really slowed us down. Toy bins that were overflowing are now only half full! The area of the room that we did looks so good!

Guest Cindie2dds

Dropped off the big stuff at a local MDO program in our area. My girls are noticing the difference and are actually excited. Two more bags in the garage for Goodwill.... Now I have to find a bigger vehicle for the 12 bags! I don't think they'll fit in my Prius. ;)

Melissa ~ thanks for starting this thread. I had a *major* project to get things cleaned out and organized and this is the motivation to kick me in the rear.

Guest Cindie2dds
Wow, you're on fire! I haven't spent the time I wanted to yet, but I managed to Freecycle 10 boxes of oatmeal that no one here likes today. I'm back to cleaning my bedroom tonight, and can hopefully tackle those stupid stuffed animals after bedtime *mwaaaahahahah!!!*

Yeah, three of the bags were stuffed animals. I wish I had the money people spent on them. My girls and I don't even like them. I am going to have to speak up now and tell everyone. No more stuffed animals, unless you want it regifted. :tongue_smilie:

ohoh. I just spent a few hours today packaging up these items for donation:

Right now I have 1 55 gallon garbage bag full of stuffed toys and 1/2 of a 55 gallon bag. 2 cabbage patch dolls with a "used but all parts and clean condition" cabbage patch doll carriage that can also be used as a bassinet.

Some clean Barbie dolls with clothes and good hair. Also a Barbie Mermaid seat.

Some Little People accessories and people.

Some dinosaurs and plastic bugs.

Matchbox and a matchbox fold up ramp set up.

2 pair of dress up shoes and a small purse.

2 board games with all pieces and pretty good shape boxes.

Some other little random toys that I am forgetting right now. cars and horse I think???

4 pair of shoes to do to my nephew, 2 dress up helmuts to go to my nephews, 12 more books, 2 blankets and we threw out numerous coloring books that were full.

I think I hit my weekly quota!!!:)

Well, if I count each of these containers as 1 then it is ony 37 BUT we donated more today.

1 barbie jeep

1 rocking horse

3 more games

1 dress up gown

1 barbie doll dress up head with hair

1 barbie doll carrying case

10 horses(toys not live ones)

So final count right now is 54/100

I'm really getting addicted to this. As I was cooking dinner tonight I was looking through all of the kitchen cabinets thinking about what I could get rid of! Then DH got home from work and almost tripped over the 4 garbage bags I had asked the boys to put by the front door. I guess they listened a little too well! :tongue_smilie:

I do have a question for everyone. Are we counting each individual item or piles/containers/bags/etc?

I have been counting in groups. For example when I went through the play food I counted everything as one. When I go through a pile of papers I count it as one. I guess it doesn't really matter but I am curious what everyone else is doing.

17/100

I'm really getting addicted to this. As I was cooking dinner tonight I was looking through all of the kitchen cabinets thinking about what I could get rid of! Then DH got home from work and almost tripped over the 4 garbage bags I had asked the boys to put by the front door. I guess they listened a little too well! :tongue_smilie:

I do have a question for everyone. Are we counting each individual item or piles/containers/bags/etc?

I have been counting in groups. For example when I went through the play food I counted everything as one. When I go through a pile of papers I count it as one. I guess it doesn't really matter but I am curious what everyone else is doing.

17/100

I'm counting sort of loosely. For example, I cleaned out DD7's room tonight when DH took them to a movie. I cleaned out her basket of papers (1), her desk drawer (1), threw out her broken fan (1), cleaned out a small storage box, threw out all the contents (1) etc. I also dumped out three containers of old supplements (3). I threw away a million more tiny things from DD's room, but I'm just giving those guys a pass :D It's so clean now, and she didn't notice a thing!

2nd bag of clutter down. Actual items...about 25 (I combined some items...counted all clothes as 1 item, for instance). I have a long way to go.

I have 8 Sterilite tubs (two kids fit in each tub easily) full of toys in the garage that haven't been used in a year.

My dumpster arrived today! We loaded in:

1 swingset

1 porch swing

1 broken gazebo

1 tv

1 tv stand

1 broken bookcase

2 broken hoses

1 huge stack of homemade large blocks

2 aiderondack(sp?) chairs

2 footstools for above chairs

2 bed frames

1 picnic bench

2 old area rugs

dropped 3 more bags off for goodwill.

Brings my total up to 46/100

Well, I'm up to 74 already, but I counted the clothes individually (pair of shoes as 1, pair of pj's as 1). I counted each bag/box of recycling as 1 item. I also have counted each book that I have shipped out of here, whether by selling it or swapping it (PBS). I'm going to have the kids go through their toys next.

Hoping to someday be able to count a whole bag of clothes as 1 item and still feel like I'm making progress....

Baby steps for me....

:lol:

74/100

I finished up yesterday. Over 100 books gone to recycle center for other people. I cleaned out every room. Two full car loads of things we just weren't using anymore. I would say probably around 250 items total. It feels wonderful!:D

Way to go, Tammy! Are you the first to reach 100? Big :cheers2: for you. I'm at 45/100. Today I am going into file cabinets. I think I have saved (and meticulously filed) every piece of paper I ever printed out about homeschooling, starting over 10 years ago.

Jennifer

Guest Cindie2dds

Well, I stopped counting at 100, but the great toy toss is done! I am so happy the clutter is gone! Now, for next week, on to the garage.... ;)

I'm in on this! Great idea! I just saw it posted last night (was away for a couple days) and thought it was too late to start. BUT - this morning I woke up with THIS thread on my mind and decided, "Why not?" I may not reach 100 by Sunday evening, but I am up to 28 items just today! WooHoo!! Feels great! Mostly some kitchen stuff, videotapes, clothes, back packs, and odds and ends. And just to be honest - I had four bags of stuff to be donated last week and forgot to take them when I went out to do errands, so I counted it as four items rather than counting each item since I technically purged them before this thread began - but hey! - I'm getting a late start and those four tic marks were a real motivator!

Off to toss more stuff!:D

I had not planned to join this challenge, but y'all are such and inspiration! Yesterday I cleaned out the kids' closets and drawers, and today I cleaned out the tubs of clothing that were out grown from last year. So far the total items purged is 79 individual items. It is not much, but it is nice to have that done. On to my stuff!

So far today I have hauled 2 more bags for goodwill out to the van, as well as 1 rocking horse. I have hauled 2 more bags of trash to the alley as well. Once the little one goes down for her nap I am going to start pulling things out of the basement storage room to toss in the big dumpster.

So far today's work puts my total to 51/100.

Well, if I count each of these containers as 1 then it is ony 37 BUT we donated more today.

1 barbie jeep

1 rocking horse

3 more games

1 dress up gown

1 barbie doll dress up head with hair

1 barbie doll carrying case

10 horses(toys not live ones)

So final count right now is 54/100

plus the original count we now got rid of

1 car seat

1 booster seat

2 training potty's

a large stack of baby hangers

2 large totes of 2-4 t boy clothes

1 dress up cowboy outfit with boots!

a large container of homemade finger puppets

almost forgot a large stack of knit hats and mittens/scarves

= 64/100

But tomorrow is a brand new day!

Okay since my last post I got rid of

3 student desks

1 tv

1 small table on castors

1 small shelving unit

4 bags of trash

3 bags for goodwill

1 rocking horse

So that brings tonight's total up to 65. Tomorrow I plan to finish the basement(well the areas of most importance right now), then onto decluttering the mainfloor which is currently a distaster zone as I bring things up from the basement to sort. I will be glad when this is done but why or why does the process of decluttering/reorganizing have to be such a messy one?