Menu

Decluttering challenge, anyone? 100 items this week

Anyone feel up for a challenge? I'm caught up with work, the girls are at the sitter's tomorrow morning, the house is in a relatively decent state (we had guests this weekend), I have no playgroup this week, and I'm drowning in STUFF! I'm going to try to get rid of 100 things by this time Sunday night. I'm cleaning my room right now, woohoo! Join me if you feel motivated.

Freecycle, throw away, give away, set on fire--whatever you have to do. Report your progress on this thread.

Ready, set...go!!!

:D

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Freecycle, throw away, give away, set on fire--whatever you have to do. Report your progress on this thread.

Ready, set...go!!!

:D

:lol:

Okay, so what about clothing? Does that count as one item or can we count each piece as one item?

I really need to do this!

Okay, so what about clothing? Does that count as one item or can we count each piece as one item?

I really need to do this!

Clothes, I would count one piece at a time (so five shirts would be five items, five pairs of socks would be five items, etc.). But I would consider, say, a pile of papers to be one item, or maybe two depending on how large, or how difficult to sort. Use your judgment. I won't be stopping by your house to verify or anything :lol:, so whatever you need to do to motivate yourself is fine!

Count me in!

Sounds like a great idea; I'm in! :)

Yay! We used to do this on another board I was on, and it was very motivating. I just can't get sucked into that board again, so I thought we could use the idea here too. I like to keep my progress in my sig so it's a constant reminder of what I have left to do, too!

Does this mean I have to empty the two bags of kids clothing that are leaving my house on Tuesday and count the number of items in them?

Are they already sorted and bagged and just need to given away? Personally, I'd count them as two things, if that's the case, since I'm only counting things starting...um, 20 minutes ago? :D But that's your call. Keep yourself honest. If you want to guesstimate the number of items and call that your starting point, then go for it!

Guest Cindie2dds

Oh, I am in! I was contemplating a toy toss a couple of days ago. I started this afternoon. One hundred.... do we get extra points for more? :)

Are they already sorted and bagged and just need to given away? Personally, I'd count them as two things, if that's the case, since I'm only counting things starting...um, 20 minutes ago? :D But that's your call. Keep yourself honest. If you want to guesstimate the number of items and call that your starting point, then go for it!

I just bagged them up this afternoon. It's a toss up.

Oh, I am in! I was contemplating a toy toss a couple of days ago. I started this afternoon. One hundred.... do we get extra points for more? :)

Sure, why not! :lol:

Oooh, stuffed animals, I totally forgot! I'm soooo going through those tomorrow while the girls are gone. It makes me nuts when the stuffed animals start overflowing the bin and falling out all over. And it's a big bin too! Thanks!

ohoh. I just spent a few hours today packaging up these items for donation:

Right now I have 1 55 gallon garbage bag full of stuffed toys and 1/2 of a 55 gallon bag. 2 cabbage patch dolls with a "used but all parts and clean condition" cabbage patch doll carriage that can also be used as a bassinet.

Some clean Barbie dolls with clothes and good hair. Also a Barbie Mermaid seat.

Some Little People accessories and people.

Some dinosaurs and plastic bugs.

Matchbox and a matchbox fold up ramp set up.

2 pair of dress up shoes and a small purse.

2 board games with all pieces and pretty good shape boxes.

Some other little random toys that I am forgetting right now. cars and horse I think???

4 pair of shoes to do to my nephew, 2 dress up helmuts to go to my nephews, 12 more books, 2 blankets and we threw out numerous coloring books that were full.

I think I hit my weekly quota!!!:)

Right now I have 1 55 gallon garbage bag full of stuffed toys and 1/2 of a 55 gallon bag. 2 cabbage patch dolls with a "used but all parts and clean condition" cabbage patch doll carriage that can also be used as a bassinet.

Some other little random toys that I am forgetting right now. cars and horse I think???

4 pair of shoes to do to my nephew, 2 dress up helmuts to go to my nephews, 12 more books, 2 blankets and we threw out numerous coloring books that were full.

Oh, good job! I can't do toys when the kids are around. Everything is their "faaaaavorite!!!"

Guest Cindie2dds

Okay, that's what's in my garage right now! Oh and a couple of fisher price doll houses and a plastic kitchen.

My playroom still has so many toys in it. Although now it looks like a small tornado went through it. I think this is going to be a week long project. Hmm.... I wonder if this was in the fine print on the Happy Meal. "Proceed with caution, toys can multiply exponentially." :glare:

Crappy! Wolf just spent the whole weekend going through our storage space downstairs...got rid of a highchair, a box of baby toys, and 3 or 4 bags of stuff...mainly baby gear.

Just wait. 3 months from now, I'll be pregnant. I've threatened him with his life if he ditches the bassinet or swing. I told him those suckers were too expensive to replace :tongue_smilie:

He looked at me like this :blink::eek:

:lol::lol:

Oh, good job! I can't do toys when the kids are around. Everything is their "faaaaavorite!!!"

Oh, the kids helped with all of this. They are allowed to pick a few favorite things but otherwise they are happy to send things along.

Although their was 1 baby doll that neither of the kids had seen in over 1 year that they both decided they needed to keep.;)

Crappy! Wolf just spent the whole weekend going through our storage space downstairs...got rid of a highchair, a box of baby toys, and 3 or 4 bags of stuff...mainly baby gear.

Just wait. 3 months from now, I'll be pregnant. I've threatened him with his life if he ditches the bassinet or swing. I told him those suckers were too expensive to replace :tongue_smilie:

:lol: I still have all my maternity clothes, several boxes of my very favorite baby clothes, a breast pump, and my crib and mattress. I just KNOW the minute I give any of those things away, I'll be pregnant. DH never even complains, because he's askeered too :scared: :lol:

Oh, the kids helped with all of this. They are allowed to pick a few favorite things but otherwise they are happy to send things along.

Although their was 1 baby doll that neither of the kids had seen in over 1 year that they both decided they needed to keep.;)

You're very lucky! Mine won't part with them for any reason. Well, DD4 will if I tell her we're making room for new toys, like at her birthday or holiday time. Under no circumstances will DD7 let anything go willingly, though.

Two of the bags he didn't even show me what was in them, give me veto power! :glare: I gave him heck and warned him if he threw out any of the special outfits I'd been saving, he'd be in deep trouble with me.

So, he showed me the next box, and sure enough, two hand knitted sweaters and a Pooh Bear hooded sleeper that both Tazzie and Princess had worn was in it. And two shirts and a pair of overalls that fit Princess now! I wonder how much stuff he ditched that I had put aside for Princess to grow into :confused: :banghead:

I *did* notice (and point out) that none of the stuff he was tossing was HIS crap that has lived in boxes since we've been married. Funny how THAT worked! :glare:

Count me in, Should be easy, Tuesday I buy my new toy storage, anything that doesn't fit is getting culled. Wednesday my dumpster arrives, I have a huge pile I have been creating in the back yard and several big pieces still in the house to fill it up. And filled 3 more bags of clothes for goodwill today. I am going to hazard a guess that I can clear 500+ items this week total. My goal is to have my home considerably downsized by next Sunday.

That's what happened to me...

My DS was almost 2 years old. We needed money and weren't planning on having any more children for a while. We sold everything, not knowing that I was pregnant with twins at that very moment.

Oh well. :001_smile:

:lol: This is why despite my desire to down size, I have 20 bags filled with baby clothes, diapers and toys in storage under the basement stairs. sure fire way to ensure getting pregnant again is to get rid of all baby gear.

I'm in! I just posted for advise on getting rid of a huge bookshelf full of books and curricula from the past four years. Between that and old clothes and toys, I can make the 100 items in one week if I stay motivated. I'll subscribe to this thread to keep me on the straight and narrow!

Yay, please count me in! I looked around this kitchen a couple days ago and felt like it needs some serious declutter. Already started with-

-Tons of extra mail I needed to go through- all done -whoo hoo

- New books from the thrift store, on the shelf :D

- Pictures on the bookshelf- need organized- *started

-Workshop toys in the kitchen- moved the bedroom - whoo hoo

My major goal for the week- Paint front house gutters- primer and topcoat during our few remaining 60 degree days - I have to get it done

:willy_nilly::D

I am in. We are already half done with one dd's bedroom. Started doing it before I saw this challenge. She has already gotten rid of four 13-gallon garbage bags full of stuff. She hates to have to keep things straightened up if she doesn't use it. This dd is the easy one when it comes to decluttering. We plan to finish her room on Tuesday. As my dd said, "Yes, my friend gave this to me, but I am just going to have to move on." I had a hard time not laughing over that one. This girl is into decluttering!

The other dd is not so easy when it comes to declutering. As her sister says, "We are going to have to do a 'Niecy' on her." Yes, she watches Clean House!

I don't have that much to declutter, but I'm doing a few.

I just got rid of four items in the linen closet that I don't need. One was a scrap of fleece fabric, one a hand-me-down I didn't need, one appeared from nowhere after the last move, and one got here accidentally from my parents' house. I also refolded and stacked all the sheets.

I've ditched two store hangers, too, and a lamp that never worked right and another that was just plain ugly.

7/100. *snort* Yeah, that's not happening.

(I've been through everything else pretty recently. Just did the basement and entry last week and even got all the eBay stuff out.)

Edited by Reya

Okay, how about the most interesting things we've gotten rid of? I've got an appt. to go to soon, but so far this AM, I've thrown away: Reptile Relief (bug spray) and a sack of dead frozen rats -- we adopted-out our snakes 2 months ago; a threadbare sweater and a Croc w/o its match; a lice kit (from 2002?!); and a box of tamp*ns and a pregnancy test kit -- I had a hysterectomy almost 2 years ago! :)

Edited by K in MI

I'm in. I actually have been decluttering for last two weeks. I had to stand outside when trash man came on Friday so that I could refill the bin and have him dump it a gain (the truck does it so we can't just sit it on curb). I have a lot of bags that I need to drop off for donation this week.