Menu

H1N1 pediatric deaths

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sure isn't "sexy" to suggest handwashing, good nutrition, hydration, extra sleep and so on. It's not conventional to suggest astragalus, echinacea, elderberry and vitamin C. Adequate vitamin D levels are crucial, too."

...which sounds a lot like what you have been saying...

I never said he was all wrong:) Just that he often makes things up, which he does. 'Tamiflu has little proven efficacy against this virus.....' Not true, we now have very good evidence that Tamiflu is effective.

Also, using Tamiflu doesn't *stop* the process in our body that fights it off. As the Tamiflu is helping, we're still fighting it as well and very likely developing antibodies as it comes along.

It's not really that difficult a public health decision at this point. Pregnant women are 1% of our population.....but they're accounting for 5% of H1N1 deaths.

45% of deaths are in adults who are otherwise healthy? 20-30% of pediatric deaths? and during a time of year when there are typically no deaths from influenza? it's really not difficult at all. this is no longer a sit and wait it out situation.

I'll also say though that I don't think the sky is falling.

Katherine

Could you elaborate on that? Do you mean one might feel more invincible and have more flu-risky behavior like washing hands less often?

when we have optimal levels of vitamin D, we have optimal cytokine activity.....it works but doesn't go wacky. when we have very low levels of D we have little cytokine activity....so it doesn't go wacky.

there seems to be a lowish range which is still considered normal via lab norms even though it's not 'normal' or accepable via current research. in that range, it seems that D levels trigger cytokine activity (good) but might not be properly controlling it and shutting it off (bad).

and 'wacky' is my euphamism for what might be called a cytokine storm.

katherine

It's more than slightly annoying to me that the vaccine is not available everywhere. My niece and nephew were vaccinated for H1N1 a week ago in Southern California. My local peds clinic is saying early November here. Our health dept. has no idea when they will have vaccine. My dd has epilepsy and I consider her extremely vulnerable. When I last looked at the data in August, of the 40 children who had died, 2/3 had neurodevelopmental disorders such as epilepsy (check), mental retardation (check), cp (not that one), etc. It would be really nice to have that vaccine available here NOW. And I call our clinic every few days because I expect that the shot clinic will quickly fill up and they will run out of vaccine before most people know about it. Happened with the regular flu vaccine.

I'm still undecided about getting the vaccine, but I did call my ped to get info in case we wanted it. They are saying they don't have it yet, but when it does come in, they are using it for ages 2-4 and immuno-compromised kids only, per instructions dictated to them. Has anyone else gotten this story? And does anyone know why some areas have received the vaccine and others haven't, or why sometimes the peds are getting it and sometimes only clinics? It seems to be a random distribution system. It seems most areas have gotten the mist, but I didn't realize anyone had received the shot yet.

My dd has epilepsy and I consider her extremely vulnerable. When I last looked at the data in August, of the 40 children who had died, 2/3 had neurodevelopmental disorders such as epilepsy (check), mental retardation (check), cp (not that one), etc.

It's true and sad. But it's especially sad that the CDC isn't understanding what Europe and Canada are understanding. The kids you detail above are typically on medications that lower vitamin D levels. Mood stabilizers are known to lower D levels, epilepsy meds lower D levels.

Darker skinned folks are also dying at higher rates.

vitamindcouncil.org has all of the info you'd ever want to see on this, including hundreds of cites from the medical literature.

Please be sure she's getting enough D to keep her levels around 55 ng/mL and definitely not less than that. Typically, this will be about 400 IU/10lbs body weight or 1000IU/25lbs body weight. Some will need more. A very few will need less.

There are drops available at iherb.com

All the best to you,

Katherine

I'm still undecided about getting the vaccine, but I did call my ped to get info in case we wanted it. They are saying they don't have it yet, but when it does come in, they are using it for ages 2-4 and immuno-compromised kids only, per instructions dictated to them. Has anyone else gotten this story? And does anyone know why some areas have received the vaccine and others haven't, or why sometimes the peds are getting it and sometimes only clinics? It seems to be a random distribution system. It seems most areas have gotten the mist, but I didn't realize anyone had received the shot yet.

the mist was ready first so that made it into the pipeline first. in some states, only public health agencies will be distributing. in those cases, private pediatricians, private clinics/docs won't have it. VA is one of those states I believe.

One teacher coughed so much with this flu that she broke her ribs. i can not imagine. This seems to be one nasty flu. I have never heard of so many deaths in my time from the flu.

Breaking a rib from coughing is nothing new. I've done it. Unfortunately.

I'm just hoping I don't get the cold the kids brought home from college. Ugh.

Jean

the mist was ready first so that made it into the pipeline first. in some states, only public health agencies will be distributing. in those cases, private pediatricians, private clinics/docs won't have it. VA is one of those states I believe.

Why does it vary so much from state to state? How can you find out what's going on in YOUR state, especially since the shot isn't even HERE yet?

It's not conventional to suggest astragalus, echinacea, elderberry and vitamin C. Adequate vitamin D levels are crucial, too."

Just a heads up about the elderberry - there has been some controversy about elderberry triggering cytokine storm.

http://www.fluwiki.info/pmwiki.php?n=Consequences.Elderberry

this wiki has to do with bird flu but the concern remains......

I have elderberry stocked up but I'm not sure whether we'd take it.

We did not. Take the elderberry, I mean. There is a very good likelihood that we had H1N1. My eldest, who had just gotten over pertussis and it's cough, did take tamiflu, had little to no flu fallout, and is still coughing - from the flu.

We did all of our other alternative treatments. Garlic in raw honey, lots of green tea (drinking and gargling), natural factors Anti-V, extra D, high dose A......

K

My kids' doctor shares this sentiment - except he does recommend the vaccine.

Ya, I think we will find doctors in both camps no matter where we look. :001_smile:

But I do wonder what will happen next year if it does come back stronger? It seems the only ones with any immunity to it is the older generation who have lived through something similar already. I guess only time will tell.

I'm pretty sure we have had it here recently, had all the symptoms and it lasted for most of a week. Ours was mild compared to the seasonal flu, but certainly not a breeze. But, we use a lot of natural stuff to help our bodies fight. Thankfully everyone is over it & doing fine now.

Why does it vary so much from state to state? How can you find out what's going on in YOUR state, especially since the shot isn't even HERE yet?

call your docs off or public health department and ask. in GA, private hcp's are reqeusting essentially a license to stock it. but from the health department -at least here -the H1N1 vacccine is free to the resident. You have to bring your ins card and they do bill, but there is no out of pocket cost if I'm understanding their website correctly.

k

Just a heads up about the elderberry - there has been some controversy about elderberry triggering cytokine storm.

http://www.fluwiki.info/pmwiki.php?n=Consequences.Elderberry

this wiki has to do with bird flu but the concern remains......

I had heard that too. That was a quote from the Dr. article that someone linked. But thanks for the reminder!

Tumeric is helpful in stopping a cytokine storm type situation supposedly, too. We took Tumeric the entire time we were sick with whatever it was a month ago. I can't tell you it helped, but it sure didn't hurt us. I mixed 1/4 tsp with peanut butter for the boys and myself each day. dh refused to take it.

A national snap shot of what's been shipped out to date is here:

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/vaccination/vaccinesupply.htm

Your state public health website should have utd info on the status of the distribution.

Anyone know if you can get the H1N1 flu a second time (after having had it in the Spring)?

I have heard of this happening...however, the second case often seems to be almost unrecognizable because it is so mild. The only way it can be proven in testing.

I suppose it could also happen that someone could have H1N1 and then get seasonal Type A flu as well.

Anyone know if you can get the H1N1 flu a second time (after having had it in the Spring)?

Unknown at this time.

There is always the concern that a mild case may not produce enough antibodies for immunity.

BTW, the Sanofi Pasteur vaccine apparently needs two shots for kids under 10 for full immunity.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091014/ap_on_he_me/us_med_swine_flu_vaccine

Given that the vaccine yields are lower than hoped for, and that the second wave is here already & most kids haven't had access to a 1st dose yet, never mind the 2nd dose....I'm sure glad that this doesn't look like the "big" one.

I have talked to my kids' ID and pulmonology doctors. Both say it's crucial my kids get the vaccine. The hospital only has the vaccine for employees right now. The pediatrician and the health department don't have any. By the time they get around to having some, I would imagine it will already be too late. My oldest child's school has already been closed due to H1N1.

I really irritates me that everyone keeps telling me how crucial it is to get my kids the vaccine but no one has it!

Tara

I have talked to my kids' ID and pulmonology doctors. Both say it's crucial my kids get the vaccine. The hospital only has the vaccine for employees right now. The pediatrician and the health department don't have any. By the time they get around to having some, I would imagine it will already be too late. My oldest child's school has already been closed due to H1N1.

I really irritates me that everyone keeps telling me how crucial it is to get my kids the vaccine but no one has it!

Tara

That is MADDENING! :( I am so sorry!

I will have to check out that site. Thanks for the link. It is something I want to do. I even bought the vitamins. My doctor just scared the crap out of me about it with her reaction. The pharmacist said the same, though. That it would cause issues with the heart if you take too much.

MAKE HER TEST you and the kids vit d levels. I forced my ped to do so even though "she doesn't look like someone with low vit d deficiency." I responded that I didn't know that the Look likes med school was handing out diplomas. SO she tested. She called me on the phone and apologized because she never realized that vit d levels could be that LOW and not show obvious signs of deficiency. (and she is a leading teaching dr at the university and well respected in the ped community) We are way under supplementing since a year later the levels are still not up to optimum. I've now increased the 3 year old's vit d3 drops to 1600 a day as I can't get a script for a mega dose for her. I may have to double that for a while. Overdosing isn't an issue if you are severely under to begin with as it takes a long time to buildup, stay there, and then go over the limit.

VIt d deficiency may be the smoking gun that so many researchers have been looking for in so many different diseases. Before long Vit d testing will be a part of normal blood workup every year. After all, you can't say the population isn't deficient if you never test for it.

OK- so it looks like Vit. D is important, but where can i get these drops cheaply? Especially for my epileptic 2 year old. I looked at iherb- but it looks like it's about $10 a person? Ouch!

Huh? How are you defining $10 per person. It doesn't get cheaper than iherb.

The 2000 IU drops are about $12. there are something like 600 drops in a bottle. If I were the only one taking it, that would last me 9 months.

There is a 5,000 IU capsule from Healthy Origins (at iherb.com) that is $14 something for 360 caps. That could keep many adults in sufficient D for a year or nearly so.

the prices at iherb.com are even better than WalMart.

K

Huh? How are you defining $10 per person. It doesn't get cheaper than iherb.

The 2000 IU drops are about $12. there are something like 600 drops in a bottle. If I were the only one taking it, that would last me 9 months.

There is a 5,000 IU capsule from Healthy Origins (at iherb.com) that is $14 something for 360 caps. That could keep many adults in sufficient D for a year or nearly so.

the prices at iherb.com are even better than WalMart.

K

I guess I was looking at the one that was only 32 doses? Sorry. I don't think my two year old could handle capsules, and she's the one I'm most worried about.

http://www.iherb.com/Life-Time-Liquid-Vitamin-D3-1000-IU-Mixed-Berry-Flavor-16-fl-oz-480-ml/9155?at=0 This says 32 doses?

And my DD2 is only 23 lbs- would that mean she'd only need 2-3 drops? http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Vitamin-D3-2-000-IU-1-fl-oz-29-57-ml/15901?at=0 of something like that?

Edited by theretohere
i find myself confused.

I guess I was looking at the one that was only 32 doses? Sorry. I don't think my two year old could handle capsules, and she's the one I'm most worried about.

http://www.iherb.com/Life-Time-Liquid-Vitamin-D3-1000-IU-Mixed-Berry-Flavor-16-fl-oz-480-ml/9155?at=0 This says 32 doses?

And my DD2 is only 23 lbs- would that mean she'd only need 2-3 drops? http://www.iherb.com/Life-Extension-Vitamin-D3-2-000-IU-1-fl-oz-29-57-ml/15901?at=0 of something like that?

The 2000 IU drops I linked are obviously not capsules, you'd only need to give one drop to a child that young, and there are 900 drops in a bottle for $9.99.

The first stuff you linked is not as concentrated; the serving size for 1000 IU is 15 ml - that's three teaspoons! The second stuff you linked is the same dosage as the stuff we use.

Where in the country do you live that you were able to get the injected form? No one here has it!

We live in Oklahoma and our local health departments have received several shipments. They are being pretty strick with whom they give them to though. At the clinic today (where we got ours) they were only giving them to pregnant woman and children 6 months-18 years with underlying medical conditions. They are giving the mist to school children but they are reserving the shots for higher risk groups.

My son is a Leukemia survivor and has a compromised immune system as a result of the the 3 years of chemotherapy he received. Since he qualified for the vaccine they vaccinated all of us. They said that if one member of the family is deemed "high risk" then they vaccinate the whole family in an effort to protect that individual. That was a pleasant surprise. I thought that I would only be able to get it for my son but was glad that we could all get it so as to better protect him. I "REALLY" wish my husband had been with us so he could have gotten his too. He was at work so he wasn't with us but it would have made me feel much better knowing that he had it too. He has a greater chance of bringing it home since he's out in the work force everyday.

Anyway, Oklahoma seems to have gotten several shipments and Oklahoma and Cleveland counties are scheduled to get more in next week. I'm hoping my husband will be able to hit one of the upcoming clinics and get his. At least the kids and I are covered now though. I am glad about that.

That is wonderful! Here, they are giving the mist to people who are absolutely completely healthy (which, IMO, you just never know) who are ages 2-49 years old. The shots will be for those at high risk. My kids fall in the ages 2-25 category, but I fall in one of the last tiers - I am 30 with no known underlying medical conditions. I have been known to have "mild intermittent" asthma - meaning, I don't take medicine for it and occasionally, if my allergies are acting up or it is really cold outside, I may feel like I am not getting a deep enough breath for a few hours or so. It has never been an emergency and just one puff of my husband's albuterol is all it takes to stop the feeling. I don't know if that really qualifies or not though...it is so very mild and most of the time, non-existant.

Oh I am sure it's the pills. The infection is slowly but consistently getting better. If I take the vitamin D it gets quite visibly larger/worse, so much so that it shocked and scared me the first time. I've tested it out twice since the first reaction with the same exact results.

I may try them when healthy again, in a few months, if the infection is gone by then. It'll take awhile to get there. I'm worried though. Maybe my body has some sort of weird reaction to these. Maybe I should just lay off them, just in case. The form you take in pills isn't the exact form your body makes anyway when exposed to the sun, so maybe that's why I react to the pills and not the sun.

That's interesting. I was researching Vitamin D on Science Daily yesterday and ran across a study that agrees with you:

Vitamin D Deficiency Study Raises New Questions About Disease And Supplements

Low blood levels of vitamin D have long been associated with disease, and the assumption has been that vitamin D supplements may protect against disease. However, this new research demonstrates that ingested vitamin D is immunosuppressive and that low blood levels of vitamin D may be actually a result of the disease process. Supplementation may make the disease worse (more at the link site).

Barb

It is *exactly* the same form that we make on exposure to the sun. Exactly. There is not one iota of difference in the chemical composition.

It's the same made in our skin, made in sheeps wool, or made in the fish.

Katherine

That isn't true. Vitamin D absorbed directly into the capillaries is going metabolize differently than Vitamin D that must pass through the gut and into the bloodstream. According to the article I linked above:

he Vitamin D Nuclear Receptor (VDR) acts in the repression or transcription of hundreds of genes, including genes associated with diseases ranging from cancers to multiple sclerosis. "The VDR is at the heart of innate immunity, being responsible for expression of most of the antimicrobial peptides, which are the body’s ultimate response to infection," Marshall said. (snip)

Marshall's research has demonstrated how ingested vitamin D can actually block VDR activation, the opposite effect to that of Sunshine. Instead of a positive effect on gene expression, Marshall reported that his own work, as well as the work of others, shows that quite nominal doses of ingested vitamin D can suppress the proper operation of the immune system. It is a different metabolite, a secosteroid hormone called 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D, which activates the VDR to regulate the expression of the genes. "

My daughter came up with low levels during her bout with mono last spring and her doc recommended extra supplements. I decided to try daily 30 minute sunbaths instead. She recently had her levels tested again and they are in normal ranges without excess supplementation. Granted, there are also many studies outlining the positive effects of vitamin D supplementation and I'm not completely against it, but the study is concerning. No one should start taking mega-doses of vitamin D without having their levels checked regularly.

Barb

LOL. Or not. That's kind of concerning that she's able to practice medicine and be that unaware.

The data available indicates that with doseages up to 10,000 IU per day for months, there is no hypervitaminosis D. Even the ODS sets the upper limit of D at 2000 IU *for infants*

One study: elderly pts were given a single injection of *a million* IU's of D. What happened? Suprisingly, their levels went up to normal. Not high, not excessive, not extreme. Just normal. It took two weeks for them to get up to optimal levels. After six weeks, the majority were back on the borderline of deficiency again

This isn't about megadosing on a vitamin. This is about getting physiologically appropriate amounts of a steroid hormone b/c we no longer live in a manner befitting our biological needs. (per creation or evolution depending on your views)

vitamindcouncil.org has all of the data you'd ever like to read, over 1,000 studies. Your doc is living, unfortunately, in the D dark ages.

Katherine

Katherine, what is your background? Are you in medicine? Science research? Your opinion on the subject has been pretty strong, particularly in the above post and I think it's important to know where you're coming from.

Barb

Does your dd have bad allergies? I do, but mine cause shortness of breath occasionally (called Mild-Intermitent Asthma) and that has been the reason I wouldn't get the mist myself. My kids - my older would be fine with the mist. My younger had a hard time with RSV when he was about 3 and the doctors said that we may be looking at mild asthma down the road. That is why I hesitate with him as well - because he hasn't been diagnosed but he seems to have a propensity toward upper respiratory issues.

If anyone in your family is at risk and needs the shot, you ALL have to get the shot. After you've gotten the mist you can infect those around you for 3 days. Our Pediatrician told us we ALL have to have the shot versus the mist because if any of us got the mist we could infect our daughter who has too many allergies to go through the virus safely.

Yes, we are all getting shots and we all get shots for seasonal immunizations too. THat is because number one I am always at least double high risk and often triple high risk. Two other family members are single high risk. THe oldest two kids are not high risk but because of me, if they are living at home, they have to be treated as high risk.

If anyone in your family is at risk and needs the shot' date=' you ALL have to get the shot. After you've gotten the mist you can infect those around you for 3 days. Our Pediatrician told us we ALL have to have the shot versus the mist because if any of us got the mist we could infect our daughter who has too many allergies to go through the virus safely.[/quote']

I didn't know that "allergies" made you more prone to having complications from the flu. I have seasonal allergies and lots of sinus problems and I have only had the flu once in my life. Hmmmm... Now I will have to do even more research! Great! :(

If anyone in your family is at risk and needs the shot' date=' you ALL have to get the shot. After you've gotten the mist you can infect those around you for 3 days. Our Pediatrician told us we ALL have to have the shot versus the mist because if any of us got the mist we could infect our daughter who has too many allergies to go through the virus safely.[/quote']

Yep, this is what we were told too. My son is a Leuekmia survivor. He is immunocompromised because of 3 years of chemotherapy. Because he is high risk not only can he NOT get the mist but we have been told that our whole family can NOT get it either because we could shed the virus and spread it to him. I think that the consenses is if someone is high risk they cannot receive the mist and if one member of the family is high risk no one in the family can get it either. However, we are all told that we MUST get the shot/killed version of the vaccine.

We are lucky because our area has received the "killed" vaccine so we have already gotten the H1N1 as well as our seasonal flu shots.

Katherine, what is your background? Are you in medicine? Science research? Your opinion on the subject has been pretty strong, particularly in the above post and I think it's important to know where you're coming from.
This is not against the member that wrote this post. I have seen these types of questions on other topics as well. I understand wanting to know where someone is coming from, but... the added suggestions Are you in medicine? Science research? seem a little like cloaked criticism. I am surprised to see this on a homeschooling site, where anyone can be a teacher, no degree or experience necessary. If it is meant as a cloaked criticism I see it as very hypocritical.

My 3 year old son was diagnosed with swine flu on Friday (ironically he suddenly spiked a high fever and started acting sick in the doctor's waiting room awaiting his 3 year old well check).

My doctor said that while it is a very contagious flu, for most people it is very, very wimpy. Most kids don't get very sick from it at all. Yes, there are rare exceptions, but... don't panic if your child gets it. My son hasn't been all that sick. A little achey, a runny nose, a temp and that's about it. I would never have taken him to the doctor for this -- I would have assumed a little virus.

He also said if you would have asked him 6 months ago if he would get the vax as soon as it came out he would have said yes. Now he's been around 150 confirmed cases of it and he doesn't think it's all that necessary.

Not that a vax isn't helpful. Just don't panic too much about h1n1 if you happen to get it.

The Washington Post had an article today about how so many of the people who are getting seriously ill aren't typical high-risk people. Some of the things they said may make it more serious is any type of asthma, even intermittent and very mild, and obesity. They are also debating whether being a female makes you at higher risk. They already know that pregnant women are at much higher risk. But they are starting to think that females in general are at higher risk for complications. We are still waiting to get the seasonal vaccine and now also the H1N1. They aren't giving any of the second kind out here yet but the availibility is very spotty. The county next to us has it as does DC. The city next to us will have it even later than our county.