Menu

My Mom lied to me.

And if it doesn't happen then, it happens in that hour after they are supposed to have gone to bed.

While we eat at the same time as one another for meals, we actually don't eat meals together very often - we spend nearly every other minute of the day together, so meals include reading a book or watching the news or a movie (okay, so the movie would be together meal time, I guess ;)). I think the eat as a family rule comes from mom and dad working all day and kids in school and activities all the time so they can all catch up at the end of the day?

And if it doesn't happen then, it happens in that hour after they are supposed to have gone to bed.

While we eat at the same time as one another for meals, we actually don't eat meals together very often - we spend nearly every other minute of the day together, so meals include reading a book or watching the news or a movie (okay, so the movie would be together meal time, I guess ;)). I think the eat as a family rule comes from mom and dad working all day and kids in school and activities all the time so they can all catch up at the end of the day?

When I was a teen, all important conversations took place after 11 pm while sitting on my parents' bed. Fortunately, they were wise enough to let this take place!

She told me to always have dinner as a family because important conversations always happen there. She lied. All "important" conversations happen with me in the bathroom and kids on the other side of the door with conversations that "can't wait."

:001_huh:

:lol:

Yeah, I've always said one of the biggest differences between being a 'mom' and being a 'professional working person' is that your office co-workers don't chase you down into the bathroom. :tongue_smilie:

She told me to always have dinner as a family because important conversations always happen there. She lied. All "important" conversations happen with me in the bathroom and kids on the other side of the door with conversations that "can't wait."

Hey, at least they are on the other side of the door. Mine aren't. :glare:

LOL So true! Not to mention that by dinner time I really want them all to shut their mouths for 10 minutes--especially with food in it. ;)

Hahahahahaha!!! LOVE it!! so true..... My kids are always needing to talk when I am on the phone or reading. Yesterday I was on the phone with my sister and my six year old came in and raised his hand... to tell me his brother was not doing his math.

:lol:

We used to call those family meetings growing up.

Ours take place in the bathroom, the car, and at bedtime. Never once at the dinner table.

Same here! Usually in the car or bedtime. There was one particularly memorable dinner table conversation about the facts of life, memorable because we had friends who had very young children over for dinner. I think they are still recovering from the shock :lol:

Yeah, family dinners are the least likely place for serious discussions in my house. Usually we play word games or telephone or something. The only place I will not hold discussions is when I am in the shower as I can not hear them very well or when hubby and I are otherwise occupied. For some reason car trips will almost always get them talking. Most of the time, if my children want to talk, I drop what I am doing and talk and thank my lucky stars that they want to talk to me. I also email and chat with them. I am not very good with the phone with people who don't live with me.

Here is a vote for either After Midnight Conversations with the Teen. If I am not posting that means he is talking my blooming ears off....or the Bathroom is the Alarm system in my house that says Everyone To Mom's Bathroom: All Are Welcome Talk Her Ears Off. Even the dog follows me in there. I just recently found the lock. Ha!