Menu

Well... I guess DD just says "hill" wrong...

We were reading through a Dr. Seuss book. DD reads some sentence that is like "up the hill... down the hill". She says "up the heel... down the heel". I stopped her and told her to sound out hill. She says "heel". I say "no... not heel... HILL." She says "heel. That's what I said." I try again "say hiiiil. hiiil." Very aggravated she screams at me "HEEL! HEEL! I'M SAYING WHAT YOU'RE SAYING!!"

Oh... okay. Note to self... don't correct hill anymore! For what it's worth... I think a lot of people 'round these parts sound like thy say "heel" for hill...

Y'all must've meant to type Arkansas.;)

I think she meant West Virginia.

I did some genealogical research in West Virginia a few years ago. I was asking for some information at a county courthouse, and the clerk, pointing across the room, said "You'll find that with the wheels." I looked around, confused, and she repeated "The wheels!" I told her I was sorry, but I didn't see any wheels. She said, "Wheels. Last wheels and testaments."

Oh. Wills. :lol:

And where in the South do you reside? Lol. (My guess is either North Carolina or Mississippi.) Don't feel bad. I am from Louisiana. We say "Chewsday" instead of "Tuesday". I knew I needed to enunciate when I noticed my oldest saying "Chewsday".

I'm actually out in West Texas. Funny thing... when I moved here years ago, everyone sounded like they had such a drawl. Now I don't seem to meet anyone who talks with a drawl anymore. :lol:

On a funny side note... I grew up in Dallas area. My roommate from California told my dad he had the wrong number when he called our room and asked for "sty-see" (stacey). She had no idea he was saying my name.

I'm actually out in West Texas. Funny thing... when I moved here years ago, everyone sounded like they had such a drawl. Now I don't seem to meet anyone who talks with a drawl anymore. :lol:

On a funny side note... I grew up in Dallas area. My roommate from California told my dad he had the wrong number when he called our room and asked for "sty-see" (stacey). She had no idea he was saying my name.

:lol: My mil (from Kansas) thought my Cajun father had a speech impediment the first time she spoke to him. His accent was so thick! (English was not his first language.)

Oh, gosh, that's very funny because I tease my husband about saying "heel" for hill. I tell him he's speaking Zalmaese (He's from Zalma, MO)

I grew up here and there and had a mom who speaks proper, so even though I am from Southeast Missouri, I didn't begin to sound like it till I married my husband! I do try to speak better then the locals, on purpose, for the kids' sake. But, truly, I'm slippin' myself. One syllable words are comin' out as 2!:) I remember reading that corrections should be given as a sort of repeat in your own words, but positively reinforcing what they said. Like, "Yes, he did go down that HILL quite fast, didn't he?" Supposedly they'll get the point without feeling badgered.

Lakota

Oh, gosh, that's very funny because I tease my husband about saying "heel" for hill. I tell him he's speaking Zalmaese (He's from Zalma, MO)

I grew up here and there and had a mom who speaks proper, so even though I am from Southeast Missouri, I didn't begin to sound like it till I married my husband! I do try to speak better then the locals, on purpose, for the kids' sake. But, truly, I'm slippin' myself. One syllable words are comin' out as 2!:) I remember reading that corrections should be given as a sort of repeat in your own words, but positively reinforcing what they said. Like, "Yes, he did go down that HILL quite fast, didn't he?" Supposedly they'll get the point without feeling badgered.

Lakota

Ha! Yeah... I'll lay off her next time. I just couldn't figure out why she suddenly thought hill would be pronounced heel. Funny about one syllable words as two... she doesn't exactly say "heel"... more like "heee-uhl". Poor girl can't help it. She was born here!

I also said "say pill... will... till... hill". She says "pill... will... till... heee-uhl".

I would show her both words written down and then ask her to say them. Are they pronounced differently? If she says "heel" instead of "hill" then how does she pronounce "heel". Have her say short i several times, then have her say "ill" several times. Then have her add an "h" to it. Then have her say long e several times, "eel" several times and ad an "h" to that. The difference is very obvious. Then you could have a contest with her. You say the two words alternating randomly and she has to write them down. ( heel, heel, hill, heel, hill, hill, hill, heel, etc.) How many did she get right? Then she says them while you write them down. See who wins.

The point isn't that she says "heel" instead of "hill". The point is that she seems not to be able to recognize the difference. That's what I would work on. After that, she can say it any way she wants. ( even though it would drive me nuts!)

Intereesting...the relatives came to Oklahome via West Virginia. And there is also a Tennesee connection there somewhere.

I did some genealogical research in West Virginia a few years ago. I was asking for some information at a county courthouse, and the clerk, pointing across the room, said "You'll find that with the wheels." I looked around, confused, and she repeated "The wheels!" I told her I was sorry, but I didn't see any wheels. She said, "Wheels. Last wheels and testaments."

My 10yo son says "ples" instead of plus. It drives everyone crazy. I don't know where he got that, because none of us say it that way. It's definitely not a North Carolina thing.

My 10yo ds does that, too! I'm always saying, "Pless is not a word. The word is pl-uh-ss." And he gets that look on his face that says, "Yeah, whatever, Mom."

:tongue_smilie:

Chelle

I'm from TN & I pronounce hill, heel, & heal all the same way! :lol: Teaching ds to read has been interesting b/c we southerners tend to not pronounce some words correctly. :tongue_smilie: EX. pen vs pin (sounds the same to me!) Hen is pronounced hin... makes for difficult phonics lessons 'round here!

:lol: My mil (from Kansas) thought my Cajun father had a speech impediment the first time she spoke to him. His accent was so thick! (English was not his first language.)

When we moved from Cali to New Orleans, I was touring properties with our realtor. One of the realtors that we met up with had such a thick Cajun accent, everytime he said anything I looked at my realtor to either answer for me or repeat the question. I didn't understand a word that he said!

Well, it couldn't have been East Tennessee... she would have said "Hee-ul". There are no one syllable words 'round these parts.

I'm from TN & I pronounce hill, heel, & heal all the same way! :lol: Teaching ds to read has been interesting b/c we southerners tend to not pronounce some words correctly. :tongue_smilie: EX. pen vs pin (sounds the same to me!) Hen is pronounced hin... makes for difficult phonics lessons 'round here!

Me too! This past week I was trying to teach the "en" sound for words like pen, hen, Ken, etc. We also say "pin, hin, Kin" down here in the Deep South! My poor girls thought I was nuts pronouncing them correctly. They know darn well I don't say number "ten" - I say number "tin"!