Menu

Could I have some opinions on American Girl Dolls, please?

DD isn't much into dolls, but I was browsing the AG website (after reading a post here a several days ago -- I think it was about the homeless AG doll) and DD fell in love with Rebecca Rubin the second she saw her. It's actually the perfect doll for her from the historical set because DH is a Russian-Jewish immigrant. She has been talking about her since we saw it, so I'm thinking of giving it to her for Christmas or Hanukkah this year. DD loves hearing stories and acting things out, so if I give her the 6 book set first (for the first night of Hanukkah) and then give her the doll for Christmas, she'll probably be familiar enough with Rebecca to act out her adventures by then.

For those of you who own them, what are your opinions on the dolls and the accessories? I've only ever heard wonderful things about them (other than the cost) so I'm especially interested in hearing about any negative experiences. We have an AG store within an hour or so of us. Do the stores have everything that the catalogs have? If I just buy from the catalog is the shipping outrageously expensive? Have any of you bought the AG doll, but purchased other outfits or accessories from Target's line? I'm particularly interested in the AG horses vs. the Our Generation horses. How does the quality compare? How are the books? Are the stories interesting? Do they contain a decent amount of historical information woven throughout the stories?

DD is 5, btw, and pretty gentle and responsible with her toys. Do any of you have DD's younger than the recommended age of 8 who have AG dolls?

Thanks for any opinions/feedback/advice :001_smile:

DD is 5, btw, and pretty gentle and responsible with her toys. Do any of you have DD's younger than the recommended age of 8 who have AG dolls?

Thanks for any opinions/feedback/advice :001_smile:

I think your dd is a good candidate for ignoring age recommendations. I got Alana hers when she was about 6 and it's still in nice shape. The books are pretty good. We have a bunch of them.

Both of my dd's have one and they love them. If you watch the AG website they have a lot of sales and usually during the holidays they have shipping specials. We've gotten the outfits for the dolls from Target and such - the clothes fit fine but we sometimes have a problem with the shoes. My dd's love the books, especially my older dd who loves history. The end of the books always have a lot of tie in historical info that she likes.

The historical dolls and the dolls of the year have great stories that go with them, and accessories that bring the stories to life.

One issue, though, is that the books and accessories make the dolls' lives so vivid that I have not seen children play much with them imaginatively. They seem to more often act our the books or similar stories.

So I think that although these are very good quality, attractive choices that have empowering 'girl stories', it's also important to provide children with beautiful toys that foster open-ended play and imagination.

I don't care for the baby dolls--I have found that the clothes and accessories don't hold up as well as they should for the price, and they are not cuddly at all. I prefer Corolle Calin or other posable dolls for baby dolls. DD had both, and never really played with her Bitty Baby, although she changed her clothes occasionally.

We have owned AG dolls for years now. I have yet to meet a five year old that would be okay if she owned an AG doll. A seven year old, yes, but never a five year old. IMHO The accessories are sometimes made of real glass and china like pottery. They have sharpe edges at times. Some of the clothing are made from very delicate materials and are easily ripped if you are not very careful.

There are also siblings to consider.

It is nice that she has taken an interest in the dolls. Maybe, she could start with the books and one of the same $20 dolls. After she read all of the books and gets to know their stories, she might feel closer to another doll. This will give her something to look forward too. She can plan and dream about what she will like to do with her doll or dolls as it is in my home. I said I would never own one.:blush:

We have AG dolls, clothes, and accessories (no horses, though). Everything is well-made, and the dolls are beautiful.

My dd also enjoyed the history. She was seven when she got her first AG doll and loved the books almost as much as she loved the doll.

My youngest (almost 6) has a Bitty Baby, but is asking for Kit this year for Christmas. While she does take good care of her dolls and toys, my inclination is to wait at least another year until she is reading better, so she can get the most out of the doll and her story.

I had a Molly doll growing up and I cherished her. She was very special to me. They are wonderful dolls. I will second what someone else said about the doll hair... it can get funky. I would simply stress to your daughter to not go crazy with the hair, or try to change the style... no matter how hard you try, it won't look right.

My DD isn't quite old enough yet, but she did get a bitty baby for her 3rd birthday. I can't wait till she is mature enough for the historical dolls.

We have 10 American Girl dolls and another one out for delivery. My girls all got their first ones when they turned 5.

The only items we have ever had broken have been from visiting children.

It has always been my fantasy to turn the attic into a giant room for our extensive American Girl and Playmobil collections. The only access would be from a secret pull down ladder-invitation only.

I love everything about the AG dolls except the price. We bought a doll from the Target line this year for dd's 5th birthday. The quality was significantly less than that of AG but so was the price. For her it was fine and she loves it. For a "collector" or a careful child it might be worth the extra $.

All our AG dolls are well loved and not in the collector category anymore. We've even sent them to the hospital and hair salon.

My dd got Nicki for her 6th birthday and her horse Jackson for her 7th. The doll is really well made as is the horse. My dd plays with her quite often and we've never had a problem. We didn't get the brush but that's because Nicki doesn't have straight hair so you have to be really careful or it will be a huge mess. We have the doll hair pick instead and it works well.

I think all American Girl dolls are great and think even at 5 my dd would have been fine with it, I just didn't know about them then.

I agree with what everyone else says about the dolls. We have no complaints here at all!

The store will have everything in the catalog...and even some clothing (for the Just Like Me dolls) not sold in the catalog. The employees are wonderful. We just took our two younger girls to the AG Store in LA for the day...and every employee in the store made the girls feel special!

There is a significant difference in the AG dolls and the Target dolls or most other cheaper versions. We own several styles and types and AG is by far superior. The hair is easier to work with especially. AG also has a cloth body where many cheap versions have a hard plastic body. The only comprable doll that you can sometimes find for less is the Gotz Doll (some spell it Goetz). Gotz is a German doll and the company that originally made AG. Their 18 inch dolls are almost identical. We have found them for as low as $40 at places like Tuesday Morning that sell overstocks. Honestly, we like Gotz better because we like the skin colors better and the larger variety.

Clothing is clothing. Sometimes you can get AG clothing as a better deal because it usually comes as a set with many matching accessories. We ended up sewing many of our clothes because they are less expensive and more individual that way. If you have a Hobby Lobby or Michaels or another craft store, they often carry clothing and accessories for 18 inch dolls at a much lower price.

I agree with what everyone here has said about the quality, etc. My dd has some AG dolls and at 12 hasn't shown any signs of tiring of them. We made our first pilgrimage to an AG store while on our summer vacation this year. What a treat! It never ceases to amaze me what accessories and fun things they come up with. The dolls and accessories are pricey, but well made. These are perfect gift items for special occasions, but for in-between times there are plenty of less expensive 18-inch doll accessories available at Target, A.C. Moore, and other places. One of the best things about these dolls is the accompanying stories. They are child-appropriate (not a given these days!), but they aren't just bubble-gum fiction. The movies are also high-quality. I love the latest one, Chrissa, which came at a great time for us (we've been dealing w/middle-school-girl-evil-snarkiness). My only regret is that she didn't get into them sooner! I would have had years more enjoyment!:D

We bought Dot the Target AG knockoff a couple of years ago for Christmas. It *does* have a cloth body, and the quality is quuite good for the price. (She got the ballet doll.) We'll probably get her another this year, and start her on the AG mini dolls at some point in the next year. She really liked the AG paper dolls McD's had in their happy meals earlier this year.

My girls were given hand me down American Girl dolls when the oldest was 4 and they have been fine with them. We just explained that they are special dolls that have to be treated carefully and played with only in their room. The dolls are still in excellent condition and my older girl loves to play with them and act out their stories.

The only problem we have found is that the matching clothing isn't available in small sizes. As far as breakable accessories go we just haven't purchased any. We bought a bed for each doll and some odds and ends but none of the overly fancy outfits and no tea sets or sets with tiny pieces.

Love AG dolls here. I thought I'd address the Target horses. DD received one two years ago from Target and I think it is a great bargain. The horse is the right size and comes with accessories. (I believe you pay an insane price for the horse and another insane price for the accessories through AG). My DD has been happy with the Target horse.

I think the clothes from AG are much better quality than Target. I wait for items to be on sale , check the website frequently!!

Also - since you are relatively close to a store, you can always get the dolls hair fixed if it needs to be spruced up. I used to think it was a waste to pay to have your dolls hair done, but DD has Nicki (wavy hair, difficult to keep nice). When we visited the store DD paid to have Nicki's hair done and it was $20 well spent!! Her hair looked better than when she first received her!!

We have owned AG dolls for years now. I have yet to meet a five year old that would be okay if she owned an AG doll. A seven year old, yes, but never a five year old.

Dd's Babushka got her an AG for her 4th birthday. It was a "Look Like Me" version and we've had NO problems. Babushka got her Felicity last year. Dontcha just love Babushkas?! Guess who's on dd's Christmas list this year? Wanna run the odds?

I say "go for it."

BTW The books have been a huge hit over here.

ETA: The hairbrush AG sells is a must. I think it's $7, but it has made a huge difference. Dd is SO happy doing the dolls' hair now.

Would you be interested in the AG mini-dolls? I was at Costco a few days ago and they had boxed sets with a 6.5" doll, a hardcover compilation of all that character's stories, and a mini-book. I bought the Kaya set for DD7 (saving it for Christmas), but they had all the other historical characters as well (including Rebecca). The sets were $30.

Jackie

ETA: The hairbrush AG sells is a must. I think it's $7, but it has made a huge difference. Dd is SO happy doing the dolls' hair now.

This is so true. My daughter has Samantha (I bought her about 3 days before her "retirement" was announced) and has no problems with the hair because she uses their brush and--this is also key--a spray bottle of water. Oh, and remind your daughter to empty the spray bottle and let it air dry before putting the top back on. Otherwise (ask me how I know:glare:), one day, she will spray nasty sour water on her hair, and you will have to shampoo it, twice, to get the smell out.

The dolls with textured hair, like Kaya, have many more hair problems. Rebecca isn't one of these, so she would be a good one for a younger girl.

If you can go to the AG store after your daughter gets her dolls, do. It is a wonderful experience. Make reservations in the bistro (the food is actually good!) and go. It is a very sweet mother-daughter outing. Be prepared to let your daughter pick out something, of course. There are many (well, maybe not many, but several) less-expensive items that are fun for the girls without huge budgets.

If your 5 yo is careful and gentle, I would not let her age get in the way. I wish I had gotten my daughter AG girls sooner, but she did not express any interest until she was 8. It makes me sad that she will have fewer years to play with her doll before she grows out of it. Sniff sniff.

Terri

Dd's Babushka got her an AG for her 4th birthday. It was a "Look Like Me" version and we've had NO problems. Babushka got her Felicity last year. Dontcha just love Babushkas?! Guess who's on dd's Christmas list this year? Wanna run the odds?

I say "go for it."

BTW The books have been a huge hit over here.

Babushkas DO tend to get really good gifts! Her Babushka doesn't know about AG girls yet, but I bet once she starts reading the books to her and sees the actual doll, that she'll be getting some of Rebecca's accessories the following Hanukkah ;) She is a big believer in anything either educational or anything that teaches the kids about their culture and heritage.

I've heard that the hair pick is a must-have for the Rebecca doll, or any of the AG dolls with wavy/curly hair.

Love AG dolls here. I thought I'd address the Target horses. DD received one two years ago from Target and I think it is a great bargain. The horse is the right size and comes with accessories. (I believe you pay an insane price for the horse and another insane price for the accessories through AG). My DD has been happy with the Target horse.

I think the clothes from AG are much better quality than Target. I wait for items to be on sale , check the website frequently!!

Also - since you are relatively close to a store, you can always get the dolls hair fixed if it needs to be spruced up. I used to think it was a waste to pay to have your dolls hair done, but DD has Nicki (wavy hair, difficult to keep nice). When we visited the store DD paid to have Nicki's hair done and it was $20 well spent!! Her hair looked better than when she first received her!!

Thank you for the horse feedback! It's the type of gift my mom or SIL would probably get for her, so it's great to hear that it's good quality for the money.

And thanks for the feedback on the hair. I didn't know it was so reasonable to have the doll's hair styled. Sometimes DH and will drop the kids at his parents' house and go shopping in Natick where the new AG store is, so it would be nothing for us to drop the doll off for a fix-up, do our shopping, then pick her up.

Would you be interested in the AG mini-dolls? I was at Costco a few days ago and they had boxed sets with a 6.5" doll, a hardcover compilation of all that character's stories, and a mini-book. I bought the Kaya set for DD7 (saving it for Christmas), but they had all the other historical characters as well (including Rebecca). The sets were $30.

Jackie

Thanks for the info! MIL has a Costco membership so I might have her take me so I can check that out :001_smile: