Menu

favorite phonics program for K and why

I like the plain jane, ungraded, go your own pace ones. AlphaPhonics is the primary one Gregory is using. There are a number of them though.

Added to that, we do lots of reading together, readers (Reading A-Z, Progressivephonics.com, etc), ETC Online, Earobics, Literactive.com, Starfall.com. Oh, and I kinda like the TampaReads program but all I did was use Gregory's AlphaPhonics words to make us a similar list each week. We also use that for his spelling list currently.

Anyway, so basically, a strong phonics only type program with plenty of practice and such daily. Most parts of what we do are 3-15 minutes, spread out through the day. We have a LOT of fun with reading.

Phonics Pathways. No frills, tricks, catchy tunes and silly characters, but it is effective, easy to teach, straight forward, uncluttered, and a great nonconsumable resource to have on the shelf. Last school year I sent my then third grade dd back to it for spelling rule review.

We supplemented with BOB books, Leapfrog videos, Now I'm Reading! readers (similar to BOB books).

Edited by SilverMoon

Phonics Pathways. No frills, tricks, catchy tunes and silly characters, but it is effective, easy to teach, straight forward, uncluttered, and a great non consumable resource to have on the shelf.

:iagree:

I've taught 3 children to read w/ PP so far. We use PP for 10-15 minutes and then read "real" books, ie Bob Books, McGuffey Readers, and other readers from the library.

Webster's Speller!

10 minutes a day and my daughter was reading out of the KJV by the end of the year, it's very powerful.

My favorites before I found Webster's Speller were PP and OPG. They're still good methods, and I own PP and use it from time to time, but Webster's is so much more powerful and teaches so much more by the end.

Love McRuffy Phonics...everything I wanted, color, interactive, games, etc etc. I wanted something MORE than just hear is the letter sound and move it. I needed a full "lotsa extras" curriculum and this is it.

Although I will say I think their K program is a bit advanced. It's really better for a child who already knows their letter sounds before starting, so we are actually using the K program in 1st, since we spent K learning letter sounds.

Spell to Write and Read

We are using SWR too and absolutely love it! I can't say enough great things about it already. You're welcome to check out the multiple SWR links on my blog if your interested in finding out more (located under Language Arts), but here is a great SWR Overview.

HTH! :)

What she said :D. I also have quite a bit about SWR on my blog and using it for K, but CMama has a great video of her ds reviewing one of the reference pages that are built during the program. It's a good example of why I love this program.

I like the I See Sam books best for teaching phonics. You just teach the new sound and the child reads the stories with the new sound in them. Very gentle approach, no need for handwriting, drills, etc.

http://www.teacherweb.com/CA/PomeloDriveElementary/Mrssakamoto/printap2.stm Here you can see the first 52 books.

http://www.3rsplus.com is the main website for buying the rest of the books---will cover all of the phonics ever needed. They also have great instructions for how to use the books.

like it says in the title, what is your favorite phonics instruction program and why do you like it? :bigear:

We are using this for our daughter (Pre-K) this year, and I *love* it! It contains solid phonics instruction with enough color and activities to keep the little one interested.

The upside is that there are many resources available to tie into the program, including carefully written readers.

The only downside is that it is a bit pricey if used at the individual level.

Phonics Pathways. No frills, tricks, catchy tunes and silly characters, but it is effective, easy to teach, straight forward, uncluttered, and a great nonconsumable resource to have on the shelf.

:iagree:

I'd also like to add lessons are short & sweet for little attention spans ;)

I've liked Reading Reflex so far. Very inexpensive and seems to have clear explanations for the trickier aspects of phonics (beyond just single letter sounds). I also like the idea of dumping the "b says 'bbb'" terminology and emphasizing that we use writing to write down spoken language, rather than we are vocalizing written language.