Menu

Desperate for info on work I can do at home with no investment--please help!

Hi All! For those who might remember me, I haven't been on in nearly a year (shocked me to see that), simply because I could not afford internet anymore, and because I was ill all the time (lung disease got very bad), and couldn't get to the library to get on the internet with any regularity. Greatly missed being on, but, when I did get to the library, every month or two, usually had other things to do online, and an hour wasn't enough to come here.

Anyway... Desperate for help. Am in danger of losing my house, am too ill to work at a steady job outside the house, have about a six month wait left on my disability application, and need a job I can do at home, around my illness. Any suggestions would be so greatly appreciated! My mortgage went up tremendously, my mom was helping, but she has alzheimer's, recently signed everything over to my sister, and sis and BIL, who make over $65,000 a year, have informed me they are going to keep mom's money starting in Nov, not lend me anymore (I get $600 a month child support, nothing else), she has helped me long enough, it is time they got their share. So, starting in Nov, I cannot pay my mortgage or any other bills. I was better this summer, had nearly two months with no illness, thought it meant I was getting better, but my doc says it was just a fluke, am sick again,and not too hopeful, but I think I can work from home, and will reconnect internet to do so.

Thanks so much for anything you can suggest! Am at a friend's right now to write this, will be here for a little while now, then will check back tomorrow.

I had a data entry work-at-home job for a while; I had to scan through property deeds on microfilm and enter specifics into a database. They provided me with the microfilm reader, and once a week I went to this woman's house to collect the film reels and return the ones I'd finished.

I don't know how big of a city you are living in, but I was in Chicago and I checked in the classifieds for work-at-home jobs. I looked for ads that had a local number, not a 1-800 number. I found one like that, and the first one I called was this job.

I did it for a while, but honestly I had a hard time disciplining myself to be at home but do something that was not very exciting.

This can be an excellent home-based job ! Medical transcription, however, is a professional subject area, requiring an investment in subject-matter training from a reputable provider. It's not "just typing".

Caveat: I really do not know much about this, but I knew two women (slightly) who did medical transcribing at home. They seemed to make ok $$.

Laura

I really don't have any suggestions but :grouphug:. I was thinking about you recently and have missed you here.

Can you call your mortgage company and see if you can defer a payment or two while you work on a job situation?

:iagree: I've been thinking about you, too, but I've been so off & on (on the boards), I'm never sure who's still around & who's MIA.

I'm so sorry to hear that things are so difficult right now. I wish I had a really good solution for you. I pm'd you all I could think of.

((Mom to Aly))

Thanks for your replies, thus far!

As for medical transcription, I have looked into it, and it requires a large initial investment, as well as training, which I don't have time for, even if I had the money, which I don't. I was literally living month to month, and have no income except the child support. Working at all will cancel my application for disability, but is my only hope at this point.

As for applying to my mortgage company, my ex left a few years ago, and I gave up alimony so he wouldn't fight me on homeschooling (he took everything and could afford a lawyer, I couldn't--our first day in court, the judge looked at me, and said, and I quote, "Homeschooling? Is that even legal?" I knew I was done for. So, as I have always seen it, I did what was best for my daughter, and he did what was best for him). The only thing I got was my house, which had negative equity, but a low mortgage. He did a "quit claim deed" which signed the house over to me, but, wonderful man that he was, he called the mortgage company after the divorce to tell them that he was no longer paying the mortgage and only I was responsible, which allowed them to call it in, so I had to declare chapter 13, which added a trustee payment--that is why my mortgage is now so high, I am including my trustee payment in it. If I am at all late, they can immediately start foreclosure proceedings on me.

I will look in the classifieds, I had just never dreamt of finding something reliable there. I also remembered seeing a thread last year where people had discussed work at home, and saw some things that seemed viable, but I started getting sick right after, and never got to look into them. Any other suggestions are welcome!

Have to sign off tonight, but will be checking back tomorrow! Keep em coming, please! You guys are always so great! Gosh, I've missed being here!!!

Someone here posted this sometime last year for Pearson. They hire people to score tests in all different subject areas.

http://www.pearsonedmeasurement.com/careers/temporary.htm

https://websurveyor.net/wsb.dll/80911/Scoreessaysfromhomeapp1.htm

I applied and was hired. It took a couple of months until it was a busy scoring time and then they contacted me. They want people who can commit to at least 20, but ideally 30+ hours per week. I did do some scoring for them but I was never able to commit to that many hours and I became very busy with other things. If I desperately needed the income and wasn't busy with young children, I think it could have been a great long-term job.

HTH,

Carolyn

have about a six month wait left on my disability application,

If you are waiting on SSI disability, working can jeopardize your ability to receive benefits. State benefits could be jeopardized, too. Please check with someone who has expertise in the scope of work permitted while receiving disability.

You can advertise for free on Craigslist. You can also look at Craigslist for legit tutoring companies in your area--many will allow you to pick your hours, tutor at a public location (like a library), and take your dd with you (if it's at a library).

You can try VIP Connections--check out http://www.ratracerebellion.com for daily updates on wah jobs. Need internet, tho. Can you get it again if you get a job?

If you want to score for Pearson, make sure you indicate that you have teaching experience in ENGLISH (as opposed to history, or whatever). I just applied and they told me they wanted that experience to be the main experience. Ah, well...

Oh, and if you scroll back on RRR, they had a job advertised about a month ago or so that I tried for--you speak to people on Skype (free sign up, need to have internet), and converse with speakers of other languages who need to practice English. Mostly they are from the Asian world. THe test consists of a typing test and listening over the telephone to some questions, and then formulating quick, simple answers. They actually call you with an automated set of questions--I couldn't understand the first person who spoke, so I guess that doomed me! lol

Also, if you can take care of a pet or two during the day, you could do doggie day care. Much less stress than child daycare! Do you have a fenced yard? If so, there's no need to walk the dog. (Or watch cats, but you will find more dogs to sit.) You can charge $125 to $150 a week--esp if you keep the pets overnight and live in a bigger metro area.

Ummm---racking my brain, here...

I'd think of multiple streams of income, if you can. A little here, a bit more there--it can quickly add up.

I'm so sorry you are in this situation.

I do business transcription at-home. It's for a company in CA and it's mostly interviews/documentary type stuff. Last time I referred someone to the website, they were looking for people with experience. But it's worth googling and applying to different companies and seeing if anything can come of it.

I also do transcription for another company in VA. Ironically, one of the jobs I had recently is about a program the SSI developed called Ticket to Work. It's where you work, get paid, and keep your disability payments for an extended period of time. Check it out; perhaps there's something there that can help you. I know they are really pushing this program:

http://www.yourtickettowork.com

If you are waiting on SSI disability, working can jeopardize your ability to receive benefits. State benefits could be jeopardized, too. Please check with someone who has expertise in the scope of work permitted while receiving disability.

What about before and/or after school childcare? Many opportunities there, especially if you can combine it with tutoring. How about watching a child or two on weekends while the parent(s) work? You can advertise on bulletin boards in the breakrooms at hospitals and other places with shiftworkers. If you are flexible and can take early or late dropoffs and pickups you can charge a little more.

Do you have special skills such as art, music, or strong writing skills? If so, can you teach a group class or two on it?

Hugs to you and your daughter! I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Hi there,

I have missed your post! I am so sorry that things are working out like they are. Also, if your sister and her dh are taking your mothers money you need to talk to Social Services for the Elderly. If your mother signed everything over when she has Alzheimers she is not in her right mind to make this decision. Unless your sister had POA before your mother had dimentia problems, she has no right to take over. I know you don't want more on your plate, but a call to Social Services about your Mom to make sure her assets are protected would be in order. Again, I am sorry but if your mothers money is being abused, there are resources to help her. You and your sister should be making joint decisions if there was no previous durable power of attorney. Many lawyers offer free advice for the first telephone call. Another option would be to talk to your local Alzheimers association for advice. Here is an attorneys web site who talks about elderly care http://www.michiganelderlaw.net/alzheimers_planning.html

You said no internet, is there a Virtual Academy in your state you could register your daughter in? They would provide her with internet service.

Pamela H used to post about doing/answering telephone calls for certain companies. Here is cut paste of one of her old posts. I had this copied and pasted on a word document so I do not know how to find that old post. Sorry, but here is Pamela H post:

What about phone work? I worked for LiveOps http://www.liveops.com/ and could pick my hours in 30 min shifts at any time of day that worked for me. Many moms work early mornings or late nights when calls are more plentiful. Most work the main line which is taking calls for infomercials (books, exercise programs, gadgets, etc). Doing that line, I averaged about $13.50/hour. I worked insurance/financial services also as I had an insurance license. Anyway, it's not bad money considering the commute couldn't be any better (in home) and no clothing changes or additional costs other than a phone line required. One month, I even made $2600 working about 35hours per week.

Acddirect.com http://www.acddirect.com/ does St. Jude and PBS calls mostly. WestatHome http://www.westathome.com/ considers you an employee which some people prefer. Alpine Access http://www.alpineaccess.com/en/ is good if you can work one of their shifts (they give you LOTS of different 4-6 hour shifts to choose from; I just couldn't make it work with my schedule); they also consider you an employee.

Edited by Mom2GirlsTX

I can't thank you all enough!!!! These sound amazing!!! I can't wait to get on all of this!!!

I haven't had a paying job in 17 years (showing my age)--my ex and I owned our own company, and he took a salary, I didn't--yet another way he screwed me--so disability would be minimal because I had to have worked ten years to get it based on my income, even though I earned more than many here would have earned in ten years, working in Manhattan, and the types of jobs I had, so disability really isn't something that would help me much. Plus, honestly, if I find something I can do, I'd rather. I had no idea there were so many viable options at home!

They have also told me I will probably be turned down at least once, and have to appeal--that seems to be the way here. And our real hope is still to sell our house and move from here. The true source of my lung disease is VA--it started as allergies that turned into asthma that turned into this and has just gotten worse and worse--but I am so sick all of the time, I can't even pack. Plus, my ex took the ins money to repair major hurricane damage, and I haven't been able to save enough to repair any thing.

Also, I had yet another shock today. I went to try to talk to my mom this morn (I have had no real contact with her for months--my sister won't let me near her), and insisted she see me (basically stood outside their apt yelling until they let me in), and my mom was very coherent, not at all like I thought. She basically said that both of my sisters, the one I'd talked about, and my other sis, in NY (who makes over $80,000 a year with her hubby) have convinced her that I have taken from her long enough and it is their turn. She told me I have been a leech and a burden, and she knows I can do for myself, and she is going to give to them from now on, and I can end up homeless for all she cares, again, in front of my daughter (she did this in front of my daughter last time, too. I thought I'd go by and sit and talk to her today, my daughter in the other room, but she didn't give me that chance). Doesn't sound very coherent, and I know how alzheimer's can go, both my grandmother and great-grandmother died from it, but she wasn't really different than she usually is, just not saying nice things.

Anyway, my biggest worry is not having worked in so long, but these ideas are so great! Thank you all, I'll keep looking here, and keep you updated! Keep em coming!!

Thanks again!!

If you don't already coupon, I have to suggest it. I have just been doing it for a year, but it only took me a couple weeks to get the hang of it, just reading the boards at a couple couponing websites. It is actually really easy to save 70-80% on your groceries. I took our family of 5 budget down from about 1100/mo to 400/mo and I have enough food in my house to feed an army, as well as enough toilet paper, shampoo, toothpaste, etc to take care of us for years. It is easy. So, if grocery items are a part of your expenses, I'd really encourage you to research couponing and sale shopping. Take care. HTH.