Menu

Equestrian therapy?

Friends of ours have a son who has an inoperable, but benign, brain tumor which affects his motor abilities. He has been doing equestrian therapy for years and they have found it very helpful. He made much more progress with the hippotherapy than he did with traditional PT and OT. It is helpful on many levels. Motivation is a biggie. The horses and the kids develop a relationship that is amazing. The physicality of riding is excellent developing strength and cooridnation, especially core strength and balance. Our friends can't say enough about it and they have been around the block a few times with unhelpful therapies.

Well, if it's hokey, count me in for hokey. I can't explain how or why, but a week of equestrian therapy camp did amazing things for my dds. They both had some mild auditory and speech issues; I can't say it addressed either of those issues (it's not like you can practice consonant sounds with a horse) but they came away from the experience with a huge boost in confidence, very calm and centered -- it was something else. I can only imagine the benefits of a long-term arrangement.

I think horses are incredible. Any child, special needs or no, would stand to benefit from experience with horses. I would say if you have the opportunity, go for it.

Thank you for the awesome feedback! I don't think it would be considered official "therapy" but there are horse stables right down the road where you can get riding lessons for about $12 an hour in USD. The special services director recommended seeing if they would let me son, in addition to riding the horses, come in and learn to care for them as well. They might think we are crazy but if it helps then why not?

As a former Nationally ranked equestrian. I can say that I see no reason that it would not be beneficial. For all the reasons already mentioned plus:

IT involved right brain left brain coordination

Core muscle build up

rhythm--you have to connect with the horses rhythm in order to get a "smooth" ride

emotionally horses will connect with you. They are expressive creatures, and you can literally "get" that from them.

I volunteered at a horse therapy program when I was young. Our biggest problem was that the riders kept falling in love with the horses and were always buying them from the stable so we had to keep training new ones all the time!

The benefits for balance and core muscles is direct and amazing. Confidence is also a big part of it. Imagine the feeling it gives to someone who is so often dependent upon others to be able to be the one in charge of such a large animal! Regarding emotional/behavioral issues, the horses don't play the game. They see through the veneer and respond to the heart of the person. They don't care what you say, what you look like, or what your life circumstances are. They care about how you treat them. It automatically causes the participant to be drawn outside themselves and to project outward. And the horses do communicate back. It is fascinating how much information they can convey nonverbally.

In general the therapy was similar to any of the animal based therapy options that use animal contact as a form of novel stimulus. Check out the Delta Society for more information about animal assisted therapy.

However, do watch out for well-meaning folks who think all they have to do to set up an equine therapy program is to hang a sign on their paddock rail. The program directors need to be very aware of the special needs of their clients and also to know which horses to use.

My autistic nephew does equine therapy and it's been great for him. He's in a public school and has gone from needing a constant helper to being able to do most of the day in a regular classroom without a helper. I know that there's a lot more to it than just equine therapy, but, I see a confidence in him that I didn't see before. It was really obvious this last visit with him. There's just something about animals, isn't there?

We did therapeutic riding for years---I actually first met my son there. My 13dd started lessons on her 3rd birthday.

Now, we have adopted a horse from the therapeutic riding center for my 13dd. He is WONDERFUL. He is our "big old guy"--31 years old, 16hh, and a gentle giant. He has been great for her motor skills, sequencing, confidence, etc.

Horseback riding might also give your son something that many other kids can't do but he could do. My daughter can lead an easy trail ride on her big old guy and tell other kids how to ride, etc.

If this place though is not experienced with special needs kids then I would suggest talking to them ahead of time and explaining your son's special needs, maybe having someone from the school talk with them, etc. Most therapy programs have the kids do the brushing, tacking up, riding, untacking, maybe feeding, etc.

Even when we were boarding our horses with my friend, I had my girls cleaning water buckets, scooping poop, etc.

Horses have been GREAT for my girls.

From all I hear it's legit. Balance, confidence?? We've got a little buddy with Downs that loved riding our pony.

As a former employee of a Riding Center for NARHA, I can tell you some of the results are mind boggling! I have seen kids being carried in by their parents. After 5-6 sessions, they stand on their wobbly legs, after another few sessions, they walk.

It brings tears to my eyes. I remember a girl who always had to be assisted by her Dad when she came. She was very young and he held her like you hold a toddler who is learning how to walk. One day I was sitting in the office and someone flew past my door. When I looked out, it was her - running on her own legs without any help at all. There is something about the motion of a horse that strenghtens certain muscles in people.

As far as emotional concerns go, Winston Churchill expressed it best:

"The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man". Horses somehow connect with people who carry a lot of pain.

My mama is a horsewoman that actually does this as a volunteer. One of my brothers is mentally disabled (will never be more than 10-12 mentally). It's not hokey. It really is therapeutic. I'm not certain of all the ways that it helps, but I do know that it builds confidence, assists in teaching control and self-control, and helps with concentration and following directions. It's fun with a purpose. Bonding with animals has always proven beneficial as well. If you have the opportunity to do it then go for it.

http://www.sire-htec.org/newSite/default.shtm

This is where Miss Good Volunteers over 100 hours each school year.

I heard one dad speak about how after one session, his completely non-verbal autistic son tried to tell his teacher about the horse. When he could not make her understand, he grabbed a pencil, and tried to spell it. He had never shown any interest in talking before that, much less WRITING!

They were completely astounded at the progress he made, and he is still getting weekly therapy there as an adult.

OH......my girls so wish that Special Olympics had horseback riding as a sport here in Michigan. We are working on getting a special needs class for 4H going.

I don't know if it helps, but it's ds's next sport in Special Olympics. I'll let you know next spring.;)