Menu

If you wear a headcovering, can you come in here?

First off, let me say a few things:

I do NOT want to debate headcoverings in this thread. I realize that women of various faiths wear headcoverings at various times for various reasons. That is NOT the topic of this thread. If you'd like to debate the wearing of headcoverings, please start another thread. :001_smile:

I am a Christian, but I also realize that people of other faiths also wear headcoverings. Since I'm not wanting to 'debate' headcoverings, I didn't put 'CC' in the title.

So, here's my question. If you wear a headcovering, what style/styles do you like, and where do you get them, or do you make your own?

I have made some of my own, found one or two on Ebay, and have some handkerchief/bandanas that I fold in half to wear. I LOVE the 'Cecily' style from Garlands of Grace; those girls make the most beautiful coverings! (They also sell on Etsy and Ebay, I think.) I hope to buy one from them soon. I think once I have one in my hands, I could duplicate the design with my sewing machine at home, and then I could make one that style with whatever material I wish. I tried making one without an example to go by, and it was *close, but not right. I emailed them, and they don't have a pattern for sale. There's another gal I found on Etsy, HappyHomestead, that has a 'Bethany' style that is almost identical (how cool is that, a Bethany style, just for me, LOL). Again, she has just beautiful things. (I wonder, does she post here on the WTM boards? Her blog is listed as 'Titus 2 Wife and Mommy'. It sounds familiar...)

I've made a few 'kerchief' style that have ties (like the 'Kendal' style on the Garlands of Grace website), and like those ok, but sometimes when I wear them outside, the wind blows the 'point' up in the air, and I look silly, LOL. That's especially distracting if we're in the downtown area of our nearby major city, doing homeless ministry. I don't want to be fussing with my headcovering, I just want it to stay in place.

I can't do the kind that have fabric-covered elastic in the back instead of ties. I don't know if my head is oddly shaped or what, but these just slide right off me. I need the ties so I can make it *just right.

So what do you wear or love? :001_smile: Post some links or pictures!

ETA:

You know, on a related note, I've also been talking with my dh about starting a website where I could sell coverings, and donate the money to a missions ministry; for example, Gospel for Asia or Voice of the Martyrs. Well, I would not really *sell the coverings; instead, I would offer them for free, and just ask that if you felt the Lord leading you to, that you make a donation to one of these ministries in whatever amount you'd like. Of course, I'd provide links to the ministries. What do you think? I thought it would be a great way for me to contribute to the wonderful missions ministries, as well as provide coverings for sisters who choose to cover. Of course, if there was a sister in need of a covering and she couldn't afford to send a donation, I'd still be glad to make her a covering regardless. :001_smile:

Also, I love to sew, and (if I may say so myself), I'm not half bad at it, with a bit of practice. So I see this also as an opportunity to use a talent the Lord has given me to glorify Him. :001_smile:

Do you think this idea would work?

Edited by bethanyniez
added a thought

I wear a headcovering for formal worship only. I used to wear a cover I made myself, but my dh felt it looked too conspicuous and possibly drew attention from others' worship and asked if I would wear a hat instead. (I still keep my cloth covering in my Bible bag in case I forget my hat.) Ironically, I have gotten more comments and looks because of my hats. :D (I like vintage hats, so the colors and styles can be a little "off normal.")

Thank you for the links. I would like to add a few cloth coverings to my rotation, and these are great! I also like the cloth coverings better... they feel more worship-focusing to me and help me focus on worship, I want to start warming dh up to the idea. :001_smile:

I wear a headcovering for formal worship only. I used to wear a cover I made myself, but my dh felt it looked too conspicuous and possibly drew attention from others' worship and asked if I would wear a hat instead. (I still keep my cloth covering in my Bible bag in case I forget my hat.) Ironically, I have gotten more comments and looks because of my hats. :D (I like vintage hats, so the colors and styles can be a little "off normal.")

Thank you for the links. I would like to add a few cloth coverings to my rotation, and these are great! I also like the cloth coverings better... they feel more worship-focusing to me and help me focus on worship, I want to start warming dh up to the idea. :001_smile:

Tutor,

When I began wearing headcoverings two years ago, my dh was a bit reluctant as well. He had not studied 1 Corintians 11 yet since his being born again. However, the Lord had convicted me, so I felt compelled to wear one. I spoke to dh about it, and we came up with some coverings that we were both comfortable with. Now however, since dh and I have both grown in the Lord, dh is comfortable with whatever covering I choose. I try to keep them simple, so as not to attract attention (especially during times of worship), but I also like them to be, well, cute! Same way I choose my clothes, I choose my headcoverings; modest, doesn't draw too much attention, but I still think certain patterns/colors/styles are cute, feminine, dh will like them, etc.

I agree that if *I were to wear a hat, I would be distracted by it. I tend not to even really 'notice' when I have a headcovering on now; I'm sure I'd notice if I were wearing a hat. When I first started wearing a covering, I was uber-aware of it all the time, and was 'just sure' everyone else noticed it, too. But now, after wearing them for some time, I don't really notice.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing by being obedient to God and your husband. I'm sure if you found some cloth coverings in a style/pattern that your dh liked, he'd warm up to the idea, like you said. Blessings to you on your journey! :001_smile:

I wear a headcovering, but I wrap it underneath the chin so the neck is also covered. I prefer using a square scarf folded in half to make a triangle, although if I'm just running out for a minute I will grab a large rectangular one I have and wrap that around.

Like the OP I can't stand having to fiddle with it a lot when I'm out, so I use several pins to keep it in place, a couple of safety pins and I have a jeweled one kinda like a small hat pin.

How neat. I never realized Christians did this too. Learn something new everyday.

When I went to a larger church in my hometown, all the ladies wore hats. In the church I attend now, the dress is a bit more casual than I was taught...

Rebecca,

*Most Christian women who wear headcoverings do so based on the passage in 1 Corinthians 11, specifically verses 3-16.

Some Christian women wear a covering all day every day, some just during a time of formal, 'corporate' worship.

Like I said, we could debate that, but that's for another thread. ;) I can see arguments for both 'sides' of when to cover your head. Honestly, I can really understand both sides, and frankly dh and I are currently in prayer over it. :001_smile:

But hey, I'm always glad to introduce the 'idea' to another sister. :)

Could you not sew an elastic lining into the front part or attach it to a head band that might help it stay in place better on windy days? Someone could get creative and sew button holes on the underside so that you can pin them on then flip the covering over it so you do not see the bobby pins...that would frustrate me! :)

Tara

This pattern is like the Cecily style, I think.

To avoid the point flapping up you have to use an oval design, more like a big headband than three-cornered handkerchief. But if you're really attached to the triangular pattern that's so easy and common in our culture (and thus not attention grabbing), you could sew a small weight into that corner which will hang down.

My hands-down favorite was always the big scarf. We used to have fun learning all the many pretty ties.

Could you not sew an elastic lining into the front part or attach it to a head band that might help it stay in place better on windy days? Someone could get creative and sew button holes on the underside so that you can pin them on then flip the covering over it so you do not see the bobby pins...that would frustrate me! :)

Tara

I don't use bobby pins; I just tie it nice and snug, and it stays in place. The problem I have is with the part in the back; the 'point' you get that hangs down over your hair. When the wind blows on the back of my head, the 'point' flys up in the air, making a sort of triangle of cloth sticking straight up from my head! It looks, well, silly! :001_smile:

I've made a few 'kerchief' style that have ties (like the 'Kendal' style on the Garlands of Grace website), and like those ok, but sometimes when I wear them outside, the wind blows the 'point' up in the air, and I look silly, LOL. That's especially distracting if we're in the downtown area of our nearby major city, doing homeless ministry. I don't want to be fussing with my headcovering, I just want it to stay in place.

What if you attached some beads to the points that hang down in the back. Won't help on a *really* windy day, but for the occasional breeze it should keep it weighted down so it won't just flip up...

For the front, if that's an issue, I usually braid my hair then stick a fancy pin through the scarf and anchor it to the braid; that seems to keep it from slipping.

I don't use bobby pins; I just tie it nice and snug, and it stays in place. The problem I have is with the part in the back; the 'point' you get that hangs down over your hair. When the wind blows on the back of my head, the 'point' flys up in the air, making a sort of triangle of cloth sticking straight up from my head! It looks, well, silly! :001_smile:

Oh I should add that if you cut the cloth the right way (assuming you're making your own), then you can tuck that point up under the knot in back, too.

The coverings at Garlands of Grace are wonderful! My dd12, who has found herself preferring to cover whenever she is out of the house, looked over my shoulder when I was on the site, and said, "I have money saved. Could you order some of those for me? They are cute!" Think I'll order a few (one for each of us girls)... then maybe a couple more for Christmas stockings. Thanks again for the link!

To avoid the point flapping up you have to use an oval design, more like a big headband than three-cornered handkerchief. But if you're really attached to the triangular pattern that's so easy and common in our culture (and thus not attention grabbing), you could sew a small weight into that corner which will hang down.

My hands-down favorite was always the big scarf. We used to have fun learning all the many pretty ties.

Rose, YOU ROCK! That pattern is almost IDENTICAL! WOOOO HOOO! :D I'll just change the elastic closure to two ties, and it'll be perfect!

The scarves are just beautiful. I'm afraid I couldn't wear one for two reasons; one, I just don't think I could 'pull it off', iykwim. And two, I don't think dh would care for it. But I do think they look just beautiful on other women.

Being an Orthodox Christian, I "cover" at church. Very, very few of us cover all the time. (I know only one women who does, in fact.)

My preference is a large square scarf, which I tie under the chin (when in a hurry), or tie underneath my hair at back of the head (when have time to wrestle with it). Rectangular scarves are easier to locate in stores, but I find them more awkward. (I find it uncomfortable to be singing in choir with a bundle of fabric around my neck !)

I never have purchased anything online, but here are some links to commercial providers, if they might be helpful to you:

http://www.headcoverings.com/

http://www.tznius.com/

http://www.shukronline.com/womens-hijabs.html

Although the third link is to a Muslim apparel supplier, I often see Christian women from the Middle East wearing scarves draped similarly. I have not studied the history of clothing design and customs, but always have figured that the Muslim custom was adapted from what the Christian women already were wearing.

In passing . . . We [Orthodox, that is] are not supposed to wear hats in church -- just scarves.

Edited by Orthodox6

I use head coverings. I was just using a small kerchief, folded into a triangle and tied below my hair. I have since come to feel that this was not the covering I felt comfortable with. I have since switched to a large rectangle that I cross under my chin and either tie behind my neck or let it drape down my back. I bought several scarves from wal-mart that were pretty colors with a little silver thread running though them. I love the looks of this one, but it feels too conspicuous to me and therefore not what I'm going for.

I have a couple bandana types that I like to wear, but my extended family told me if I continued wearing them they would report me to CPS as belonging to a cult (they are against me being a Christian if it doesn't match there way) so I have stopped wearing them in public and only do now when I pray on my own at home. I want to be wearing one fulltime but don't need the extra threats and headaches because of it.

But if you're really attached to the triangular pattern that's so easy and common in our culture (and thus not attention grabbing), you could sew a small weight into that corner which will hang down.

What if you attached some beads to the points that hang down in the back. Won't help on a *really* windy day, but for the occasional breeze it should keep it weighted down so it won't just flip up...

What a great idea ladies! WHY have I never thought of this?!

I don't like to tuck the tip of the point into the tie knot, since I usually like to wear my hair down with a covering on; tucking the point in would give me two piggy tails that way. Which I do sometimes, when I'm feeling young an spunky, LOL. But not often. Plus, I don't think dh cares for that look overmuch. :D

I have a couple bandana types that I like to wear, but my extended family told me if I continued wearing them they would report me to CPS as belonging to a cult (they are against me being a Christian if it doesn't match there way) so I have stopped wearing them in public and only do now when I pray on my own at home. I want to be wearing one fulltime but don't need the extra threats and headaches because of it.

Wow Brandy, what an awful situation! I don't want to give you advice on it, just a :grouphug:.

We go to an Orthodox Christian church and I wear large triangle shaped ones from Tznius. I just tie them under my chin for the church service -- no fiddling! I used to do some of the "fancy" ties shown at the Tznius website, but it was too much fuss (and they made me "worry" more that they weren't staying on or staying tucked in; it was distracting to me). Sometimes after tying under my chin I'll bring the ends around behind my neck and do a lose tie there too. I also have a long rectangle that I put on my head and then either tie under my chin or just cross over the two pieces to the back (sometimes making a tie there).

HTH!

Edited by milovanĂƒÂ½

the 'point' you get that hangs down over your hair. When the wind blows on the back of my head, the 'point' flys up in the air, making a sort of triangle of cloth sticking straight up from my head! It looks, well, silly! :001_smile:

What if you cut the point long enough that you can tuck it under the knot at the back?

The coverings at Garlands of Grace are wonderful! My dd12, who has found herself preferring to cover whenever she is out of the house, looked over my shoulder when I was on the site, and said, "I have money saved. Could you order some of those for me? They are cute!" Think I'll order a few (one for each of us girls)... then maybe a couple more for Christmas stockings. Thanks again for the link!

Aren't they though? Happy Homestead on Etsy has some very cute ones, too, that your dd would probably like. Very similar.

That pattern is almost IDENTICAL! WOOOO HOOO!

I'm so glad I could help!

The scarves are just beautiful. I'm afraid I couldn't wear one for two reasons; one, I just don't think I could 'pull it off', iykwim. And two, I don't think dh would care for it. But I do think they look just beautiful on other women.

Yeah, I guess it does require the whole Old World set up or else it looks badly out of place. I was hoisting a three-year-old in tzit-tzit and kippah around on my hip all the time, so I had the perfect accessory to make it work. :D

Rebecca,

*Most Christian women who wear headcoverings do so based on the passage in 1 Corinthians 11, specifically verses 3-16.

Some Christian women wear a covering all day every day, some just during a time of formal, 'corporate' worship.

Like I said, we could debate that, but that's for another thread. ;) I can see arguments for both 'sides' of when to cover your head. Honestly, I can really understand both sides, and frankly dh and I are currently in prayer over it. :001_smile:

But hey, I'm always glad to introduce the 'idea' to another sister. :)

Oh absolutely. No debates here. I just didn't realize it was something Christians did. I always thought of other religions - mostly overseas - so this is just something new and interesting to me. Thanks for sharing.

Oh absolutely. No debates here. I just didn't realize it was something Christians did. I always thought of other religions - mostly overseas - so this is just something new and interesting to me. Thanks for sharing.

Catholics did it until not so long ago. My mom was Catholic and she always wore a head covering at mass. Even after it was no longer required and none of the younger women wore them, my mom wouldn't walk into a church with a bare head. It was her thing. She has several beautiful scarves and traditional lace "mantilla" type coverings.

If you look at old photos of Jackie Kennedy, she's wearing black lace head scarves in several pictures where she's in church or around clergy.

wow...very pretty. I love the dutch crown and the snood band. Very nice link!!;)

Garlands of Grace

Thank you for this! I posted a while ago with a similar request. I ordered a few covering based on recommendations, but they were all still too conspicuous (I will be alone in my covering at our church, if dh and I even get up the nerve.) I just ordered a stretch lace one in brown that might blend more with my hair.

I've been mostly wearing bandannas recently around home/town and then I often use homemade squares or ones from modestclothing.com for church. In regards to them staying on I have found it's all about your hair underneath, how it's tied back, etc. My Mom and sister have some cute cloth cap/snood type things.

Thank you for this! I posted a while ago with a similar request. I ordered a few covering based on recommendations, but they were all still too conspicuous (I will be alone in my covering at our church, if dh and I even get up the nerve.) I just ordered a stretch lace one in brown that might blend more with my hair.

Be encouraged, Angela. :001_smile: I'm sure many of us can identify with your feelings of being conspicuous. But think about it this way; mabye there's other women feeling the conviction to cover, but are worried about 'sticking out', too. You could be a great encouragement to them! Or, perhaps you'll have some women ask you about it, and be open to studying 1 Cor. 11 with you.

ETA: Angela, I see you're not in Ohio anymore. :) I'm in MI, too!

Edited by bethanyniez

I knew that some women in this country wear headcoverings but I had no idea there were so many styles available! Wow!

You know, on a related note, I've also been talking with my dh about starting a website where I could sell coverings, and donate the money to a missions ministry; for example, Gospel for Asia or Voice of the Martyrs. Well, I would not really *sell the coverings; instead, I would offer them for free, and just ask that if you felt the Lord leading you to, that you make a donation to one of these ministries in whatever amount you'd like. Of course, I'd provide links to the ministries. What do you think? I thought it would be a great way for me to contribute to the wonderful missions ministries, as well as provide coverings for sisters who choose to cover. Of course, if there was a sister in need of a covering and she couldn't afford to send a donation, I'd still be glad to make her a covering regardless. :001_smile:

Also, I love to sew, and (if I may say so myself), I'm not half bad at it, with a bit of practice. So I see this also as an opportunity to use a talent the Lord has given me to glorify Him. :001_smile:

Do you think this idea would work? Maybe I should start a new thread. Hmmm...

ETA: I'm going to add this to my op.

Edited by bethanyniez

I cover nearly all the time and have for over 11yrs. Most of the sites I look at have been listed. I mostly make my own though or find something locally that will do. My favorites are crochet snoods and cloth snoods (I make ones similar to the Garlands of Grace site...one of my oldest patterns).

Very interesting. As a Christian I always had interpreted 1 Cor 11:15 as stating that my long hair is my covering. I am going to study on this some more. Those head scarfs are beautiful.

I have an honest question. Feel free to PM me if you want. Do your daughters wear headscarfs? My oldest recently had to have her hair cut shorter than I feel comfortable with (she cut her own hair) and I have actually been thinking about this lately.

Do your daughters wear headscarfs? My oldest recently had to have her hair cut shorter than I feel comfortable with (she cut her own hair) and I have actually been thinking about this lately.

Both of our daughters wear headcovers at formal worship. They chose to begin wearing them earlier, but we would not have begun providing them until they became communicant members of the church.

I was jsut thinking about making some head coverings this weekend to sell aat a craft show I'm going to participate in. I love the website suggestions that have been made here. We do more african style head wraps but i like to have some versitility with my wraps. If you like here are some links to how to do some of the styles and you only need a yard or two of your own choice of fabric depending on the style you choose.

http://www.africaimports.info/article49head.asp?url=

Just a few...but I like to wear them sometimes they cover my whole head. If i know i'm doing a style that doesn't cover a part of my hair i make sure to wear another small fabric peice first to cover it. :001_smile:

Catholics did it until not so long ago. My mom was Catholic and she always wore a head covering at mass. Even after it was no longer required and none of the younger women wore them, my mom wouldn't walk into a church with a bare head. It was her thing. She has several beautiful scarves and traditional lace "mantilla" type coverings.

If you look at old photos of Jackie Kennedy, she's wearing black lace head scarves in several pictures where she's in church or around clergy.

IME, 'veiling' seems to be making a comeback with Catholics.

I know, me too, then around here people think I'm wearing them becuase I am a hippy...which I am, so it's two fold :lol:

I wore my crocheted snoods (think ren faire or CW re-enactors) when I went to visit my sisters and father (first time since I was 2yrs) and one of my BILs took my sister aside and asked her if I was a "hippie" (they meant the rasta kind ;) ). I had to explain "crunchy chrisitian" to them. I was wearing my snood, a long flowered skirt, cotton top, and hoop earrings LOL! I probably did look like a hippie :lol: I'm just not the pot smoking kind ;)

Just out of curiosity - I'd imagine that something that looks like a bandana could (if not chosen carefully) look like you stopped in while doing housework or were too lazy to brush your hair, rather than a respectful way of dressing for worship. How do you bridge that gap?

Probably solved by selecting a slightly larger-sized square, and maybe also by not wearing a covering made from traditional "bandana print". If a covering is too small (size of an actual neckerchief/bandana), it is not large enough to do its intended job.

Similarly, we [Orthodox, I mean] are not to wear the small, round lace pieces (shaped like a "doily").

The point, anyway, is not "what one looks like". A covering is worn for religious reasons, never for fashion reasons. I never feel "conspicuous" because if somebody is looking at me, he or she is not paying attention to the service.

There have been some attractive options demonstrated at the links people have shared. Thanks, everyone !

Just out of curiosity - I'd imagine that something that looks like a bandana could (if not chosen carefully) look like you stopped in while doing housework or were too lazy to brush your hair, rather than a respectful way of dressing for worship. How do you bridge that gap?

Sorry to have offended. I didn't say the point was what one looks like, but then again, I don't think I was understood since the assumption (that I don't understand about religious dress) is incorrrect. I think if someone wore a shower cap to church, she herself might not feel in a religious state of mind.

Hi, Stripe ! If you were responding to my reply, maybe I inadvertently offended you [ ? ]. I took your earlier post as a straightforward [inoffensive ! :) ] pondering of whether or not a bandana appears too casual for church services in a faith tradition that discourages overly-casual attire inside a church. (We are not to wear shorts, miniskirts, and similar such "casual wear" to services.)

When I noted that, at core, people should not be thinking about what something looks like, I was including the wearer as well as the observer. I should not be wondering how I look to other people so much as I should be focusing my soul and mind on the church service. Same for everybody else there.

(I fear this may morph into a Tar Baby, and I'm hopelessly stuck !)

Happy Friday to you and to all here !

Sorry to have offended. I didn't say the point was what one looks like, but then again, I don't think I was understood since the assumption (that I don't understand about religious dress) is incorrrect. I think if someone wore a shower cap to church, she herself might not feel in a religious state of mind.

I think it depends on your motivation for covering.

Everyone's is different (unless it is becuase the church requires it, in that case they have there theology behind it.) But in the Orthodox faith it is not required. It is traditional, but not required (with the rare exception where some churches require it at church or to receive the sacraments.)

I wear a bandana and if people think I am doing it becuase of housework or becuase I am a (non pot smoking) hippy (in case MamaDuck was worried! lol) then that's OK with me. In fact I prefer to blend in. I am not doing it as a holier-than-thou (not applying anybody else is) thing and so if other women don't know I am covering becuase of my faith, that's better for me.

I cover as a reminder to MYSELF be humble, to not be vain of my hair, and to be in prayer "without ceasing." I wear for me, not to make a point or be a witness.

And in church I dress my head up a step above a bandana. :001_smile:

Oh, and hey, I'm not offended either!

To the OP...Oh! The flappy thing in back! How about you put weights in the hem line or lining?? That would work great!! You can even buy weighted fishing thingamabobs that have a small hole for the thread to go through and that way it will provide just enough weight without flying up! :)

Tara

I'm no longer up on fishing -- (That was my dad's "thing" !) -- however, this post made me think of another option: washers. These could be handsewn on the underside of the fabric, so as not to be visible. Washers come in assorted weights.

To the OP...Oh! The flappy thing in back! How about you put weights in the hem line or lining?? That would work great!! You can even buy weighted fishing thingamabobs that have a small hole for the thread to go through and that way it will provide just enough weight without flying up! :)

Tara