Menu

"The Time Traveler's Wife"

Yes, I loved it, but I felt the same way. It was very intense. I almost couldn't finish it because around halfway, I happened to find out the big secret, and I was so upset I stalled out and couldn't read anymore for a long time. DH just listened to the audiobook and he loved it too. Yes, we'll probably see the movie. I have a very hard time watching movies of books I really engaged with, but it looks like the actors have done a great job with the roles.

I felt the same way the first time I read it... I loved it, but was definitely disturbed by it. I read it a second time about a year later and loved it even more. I picked up more of the little details the second time through. Henry & Clare are one of my favorite romantic couples.

I saw the movie and thought they did a great job of staying true to the book. Of course, they have to leave parts out - it's a LONG book, but what is there is great.

Plus... all I have to say is.... ERIC BANA!!!

Val

SPOILERS

I didn't care for the book overall. It was intriguing, but I found the dialogue a little off (I don't know any men in real life who say "Heavens!" or use the word "shall"-- unless they're British. ;)) The main characters were a tad pretentious, though not completely unlikeable.

AND, I found some of the stuff a little... icky. Mostly the parts with him traveling back to visit Clare as a child; more specifically as she starts blossoming into womanhood. I mean, a 36 year old sharing a passionate kiss with a 15 year old?? Yeah, she would be his wife someday, but still...:thumbdown:

I read it last weekend.

I was surprised to like much of it.

I thought the sex was a bit TMI, and not particuliarly beneficial to the storyline. (sometimes it is, but here it just seemed gratuitous)

The ending ticked me off big time. So much that I wished I hadn't read it at all. That she spent years longing after him, which she knew he wouldn't have wanted, when she had this dd that she so desperately wanted and who probably really needed her. And I was highly curious to know what happened to the daughter. Makes me wonder if there's another book on that later. And why the heck did Henry decide to tell her that? why didn't he just give her the chance to mourn his death and hopefully move on in her life? I think she coudl have easier if he hadn't told her that one day when she was old he'd be there again, if only briefly.

And oh my heavens - her dad or brother are the ones that killed him and they were at the party that night? Anyone else thinking freak out? He could have prepared them for that?!

I won't be seeing the movie. I might get it on netflix when it gets there.

I loved the book and was so afraid that it would end differently. The ending (I mean the very end) really stayed true to the rest of the book and I would have been really disappointed if it had ended in a different direction.

I think I understand where one might be disturbed, but he's already married to her when he goes back (I don't think I'm giving anything away here - pretty sure that part is on the back cover of the book) so I actually think it's neat that he keeps being drawn back to his wife.

I think we need more stories like this - where there is some notion of sacrifice and devotion to a person instead of a focus on self-gratification.

I also loved the movie. I wish they could have made it way longer to include more from the book, but I know they had limitations. They stayed true to the characters and the story. I do think the movie wouldn't be as good without having read the book first.

I read it last weekend.

I was surprised to like much of it.

I thought the sex was a bit TMI, and not particuliarly beneficial to the storyline. (sometimes it is, but here it just seemed gratuitous)

The ending ticked me off big time. So much that I wished I hadn't read it at all. That she spent years longing after him, which she knew he wouldn't have wanted, when she had this dd that she so desperately wanted and who probably really needed her. And I was highly curious to know what happened to the daughter. Makes me wonder if there's another book on that later. And why the heck did Henry decide to tell her that? why didn't he just give her the chance to mourn his death and hopefully move on in her life? I think she coudl have easier if he hadn't told her that one day when she was old he'd be there again, if only briefly.

And oh my heavens - her dad or brother are the ones that killed him and they were at the party that night? Anyone else thinking freak out? He could have prepared them for that?!

I won't be seeing the movie. I might get it on netflix when it gets there.

I agree about the sex. It was a little too graphic and some of the word choices were a bit much - there wasn't much of it and the vast majority of it was between husband and wife, but still...

However, I disagree about the ending. I loved it and I think it would have ruined the book if she hadn't waited.

I have no intention of reading it...call me a rebel....books like these and Twilight even Harry Potter are to me indicative of the low level of literature our generation produces....what upsets me the most is that my nieces who are in traditional school rave on and on about these types of books (they've never read Heidi, To Kill a Mockingbird, Rudyard Kipling, C.S. Lewis etc.)...my 13 year old niece FB'ed that she was up reading her school book "The Time Traveler's Wife"....I just have to really question a teacher who would recommend that book if it has the scenes some of you are referring to....There are THOUSANDS of books that have wonderful character development, deal with honest issues and offer a slice of life take....most of the books that are on our Good Books list were published before the 1970's....I'm waiting for some homeschooler to publish something worthy of good literature...I just don't see it in today's popular authors.

Tara

I agree about the sex. It was a little too graphic and some of the word choices were a bit much - there wasn't much of it and the vast majority of it was between husband and wife, but still...

However, I disagree about the ending. I loved it and I think it would have ruined the book if she hadn't waited.

The actual ending and seeing him one last time didn't upset me. The notion that for who knows how long she did the same thing right down to what shirt to where every day hoping that would be the bothered me considerably. She didn't see him again until she was 82 he died when she 36 and 3 years after his death she has decided to just let herself vanish?! He wanted her to live and live fully. I can see me waiting 50 years for my dh. But I won't let myself vanish while doing so. To me that was just. I don't know. More than just sad. It was a travesty to their love for each other. It wasn't the waiting. It was the way she waited that bothered me.

But I guess Henry didn't mind since he describes their last visit as sweet to him. So I suppose if her and Henry are happy with it then I shouldn't complain.:)

I have no intention of reading it...call me a rebel....books like these and Twilight even Harry Potter are to me indicative of the low level of literature our generation produces....what upsets me the most is that my nieces who are in traditional school rave on and on about these types of books (they've never read Heidi, To Kill a Mockingbird, Rudyard Kipling, C.S. Lewis etc.)...my 13 year old niece FB'ed that she was up reading her school book "The Time Traveler's Wife"....I just have to really question a teacher who would recommend that book if it has the scenes some of you are referring to....There are THOUSANDS of books that have wonderful character development, deal with honest issues and offer a slice of life take....most of the books that are on our Good Books list were published before the 1970's....I'm waiting for some homeschooler to publish something worthy of good literature...I just don't see it in today's popular authors.

Tara

While I definitely don't think it's appropriate for a 13-year-old's school reading (that's really bizarre, actually--who would assign that?! :confused:), I wouldn't put this book in the same category as Twilight or HP at all. Books don't have to be written before a certain date to be quality literature.

I read this book when my Dh was deployed and it really hit me. Life as a military spouse is not unlike Claire's life.

We're always waiting.

We're waiting for our spouses to leave. We're waiting for them to come back. We're waiting to move or for promotion lists to come out. We never know how long we'll be where ever we are and have no control over where we're going. We are never really sure how long our spouses will be with us and if they are ever coing home at all.

But we do it. We learn to live while "waiting." I think that's what Claire learned to do.

I read this book when my Dh was deployed and it really hit me. Life as a military spouse is not unlike Claire's life.

We're always waiting.

We're waiting for our spouses to leave. We're waiting for them to come back. We're waiting to move or for promotion lists to come out. We never know how long we'll be where ever we are and have no control over where we're going. We are never really sure how long our spouses will be with us and if they are ever coing home at all.

But we do it. We learn to live while "waiting." I think that's what Claire learned to do.

wow :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Thank you to you and your dh and all our military people. I never thought of it that way.

I felt a little shaken after reading it for the first time, and I agree that the sex was a little too graphic. But the the love story is truly amazing. This is one of those books that grows on you after a first read. Because it is so disjointed, reading it for a second time really cemented the story for me.

I loved the movie too; although a lot was left out, they got the relationship right.

I felt a little shaken after reading it for the first time, and I agree that the sex was a little too graphic. But the the love story is truly amazing. This is one of those books that grows on you after a first read. Because it is so disjointed, reading it for a second time really cemented the story for me.

I loved the movie too; although a lot was left out, they got the relationship right.

:iagree:

This is pretty much exactly what I wanted to say. I don't have the book anymore, and now after seeing the movie I want to read it again.

I know they had to leave a lot out of details and events for the movie, but if they had chosen to include everything and it was 20 hours long, I'd still watch it. :D

Life as a military spouse is not unlike Claire's life.

We're always waiting.

We learn to live while "waiting." I think that's what Claire learned to do.

...and I think this is *exactly* why it hit me so hard.

I loved the movie--evidently, some of the stuff they left out was okay with me, lol--but it was hard to watch, in places, for this reason.

But good.

SPOILERS

I didn't care for the book overall. It was intriguing, but I found the dialogue a little off (I don't know any men in real life who say "Heavens!" or use the word "shall"-- unless they're British. ;)) The main characters were a tad pretentious, though not completely unlikeable.

AND, I found some of the stuff a little... icky. Mostly the parts with him traveling back to visit Clare as a child; more specifically as she starts blossoming into womanhood. I mean, a 36 year old sharing a passionate kiss with a 15 year old?? Yeah, she would be his wife someday, but still...:thumbdown:

Uhm, in today's context yes. 150yrs ago and before, not uncommon. 15-16 was "coming out" age. And generally a young lady married a young man that was "secured" (financial, career) and "settled" (matured, land)...generally meaning it was not uncommon for him to be 10-20yrs her senior. Now if she were younger than that in the book, then yes, I'd really take issue.

*admits she has not read the book yet, nor seen the movie...yet*

Uhm, in today's context yes. 150yrs ago and before, not uncommon. 15-16 was "coming out" age. And generally a young lady married a young man that was "secured" (financial, career) and "settled" (matured, land)...generally meaning it was not uncommon for him to be 10-20yrs her senior. Now if she were younger than that in the book, then yes, I'd really take issue.

The book is actually set in relatively current time--1970s-80s through now, generally. I was comfortable with it in the context of the book, because Henry struggles with his knowledge of her as his wife and the love of his life in HIS present and recognizing her youth in spite of that in HER present. It was part of the character development, I thought.

Now I want to go back and read it again :tongue_smilie:

The book is actually set in relatively current time--1970s-80s through now, generally. I was comfortable with it in the context of the book, because Henry struggles with his knowledge of her as his wife and the love of his life in HIS present and recognizing her youth in spite of that in HER present. It was part of the character development, I thought.

Now I want to go back and read it again :tongue_smilie:

Agreed, given the context that I'm understanding. Between the context of the book and the context of most of history...I don't think it would bother me.

For me, the sex and [sexual] language were over the top. The story was fantastic. This book would make such a great discussion on predestination. I mean really, did they ever have a choice but to marry each other? What came first, Claire meeting him in her childhood or them meeting in their 20's? Where/when exactly was the genisis of that relationship?

For me, THAT was the meat of the book. I also loved that Henry was so gritty, so unlikable, so broken.

I bought the book, but I doubt that I'll give it away like I do with most books. Not because I want to keep it so badly, but because it's really too graphic for me to just hand out. I am flabbergasted that it would be assigned reading for a 13 year old. I can't imagine.

I loved the book even though I found it incredibly sad. I woke my husband up sobbing over the end while reading at night. I agree with Shannon that I appreciated the fact Henry had a lot of issues and was imperfect.

I do think it showed the struggle within him over his wife-knowing she's his wife, understanding how young she is some of the times he goes back. Him knowing what she'll suffer, knowing that's not what he wants for her.

I agree that it's a bit crazy to allow a 13 year old to read it. I certainly haven't let my 13 year old read it and I'm not nearly as strict as many here.

I disagree with labeling books junk, twaddle or not quality literature if you haven't read them. That's pretty unfair. It's an excellent story with deep themes. I read a *lot*, including tons of high-brow literature but that doesn't mean I ignore newer authors.

Tara

I'm curious; why do you think it's "indicative of the low level of literature our generation produces"?

I'm not unacquainted with twaddle ;) but I'm not ignorant of great literature either, and I would put The Time Traveler's Wife much closer to the latter than the former. Substantial ideas, good writing.

I would, however, be upset if my 13yo were assigned this book in class. Did the teacher assign it? Or was it a pick-a-book-and-do-a-project-on-it assignment?

:001_huh: Well of course. It actually still is in practice in parts of the world today. But in modern society in this culture (as the book was set), a 36 year old with a 15 year old is still not widely accepted (and in some places illegal). In this book the Clare at 15 still had the emotional maturity of today's average 15 year old. She was a kid, and it bothered me. That's just my opinion, and I'm stickin' with it. Nobody else has to agree. :tongue_smilie:

:001_huh: Well of course. It actually still is in practice in parts of the world today. But in modern society in this culture (as the book was set), a 36 year old with a 15 year old is still not widely accepted (and in some places illegal). In this book the Clare at 15 still had the emotional maturity of today's average 15 year old. She was a kid, and it bothered me. That's just my opinion, and I'm stickin' with it. Nobody else has to agree. :tongue_smilie:

I think it's supposed to bother you though. I got the feeling it bothered Henry.

For my niece, it was on her 7th grade reading list....hearing what you have discussed makes me wish she hadn't! I had started a JK Rowling book when they first came out...the writing was not what I would call a high standard...not on my list of 'classics'....

It is difficult to put into a few phrases what good literature means to me...a great deal has to do with character development and content...first and foremost does it add to my faith? Am I or my children gaining character examples that will encourage us and inspire? I look at Philippians 4:8 as a model...Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything....you get the picture...we have choices...there are hundreds of thousands of books out there..my concern is in taking the time out to read books like HP/Twilight/TTW when it could have been spent reading something that fulfills my definition of good literature...there are plenty of shocking/thought provoking examples (Clockwork Orange) but are they taking away from my quest to honor God or are they distractions? Mere Christianity, Heidi, Robin Hood (Pyle's version), Gulliver's Travels, and thousands more fit my description of literature that will be thought provoking but also have an underlying theme to it that exudes character and a general life lesson...

Life is hard enough without following humanistic exploits..I try to find literature that respects character and is noble....too much in the past 3 decades has focused on a humanist perspective...I guess I am drawn more towards those inpsired works than by introspection.

Tara

May not be widely accepted and may be bothersome (thank you Mrs Mungo for mentioning that it seemed to bother Henry, I was wondering if his mindset is addressed...I can't wait to read this book), but it's not perverse either. Maybe it's my having grown up with different cultures, known many teen mothers that were fairly mature (known some immature ones also, but I know immature 40yr old mothers as well), and yes, pregnant by or married to men that were older than them.

An interesting movie is My Young Bride. It's a Korean film you can find online. English subtitles. The difference would be that the girl is 15 and the boy is late teens/early 20's. (if you enjoyed Arranged Marriage, you may enjoy this one as it's based on the concept of culturally arranged marriage in modern culture).

For my niece, it was on her 7th grade reading list....hearing what you have discussed makes me wish she hadn't! I had started a JK Rowling book when they first came out...the writing was not what I would call a high standard...not on my list of 'classics'....

It is difficult to put into a few phrases what good literature means to me...a great deal has to do with character development and content...first and foremost does it add to my faith? Am I or my children gaining character examples that will encourage us and inspire? I look at Philippians 4:8 as a model...Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything....you get the picture...we have choices...there are hundreds of thousands of books out there..my concern is in taking the time out to read books like HP/Twilight/TTW when it could have been spent reading something that fulfills my definition of good literature...there are plenty of shocking/thought provoking examples (Clockwork Orange) but are they taking away from my quest to honor God or are they distractions? Mere Christianity, Heidi, Robin Hood (Pyle's version), Gulliver's Travels, and thousands more fit my description of literature that will be thought provoking but also have an underlying theme to it that exudes character and a general life lesson...

Life is hard enough without following humanistic exploits..I try to find literature that respects character and is noble....too much in the past 3 decades has focused on a humanist perspective...I guess I am drawn more towards those inpsired works than by introspection.

Tara

So you are in the camp that all non-Christian based writing is evil/a waste of time/not good literature/etc? I really hope you're avoiding Homer.

Tara

I do not understand this line of thinking but I don't think this is the thread for the discussion. Maybe it deserves another thread. Would you mind if I used your post as a jumping-off point to start another thread?

I think it's supposed to bother you though. I got the feeling it bothered Henry.

Ah, okay... I see what you are saying. I thought it was supposed to be "romantic". Thanks for your post; I was beginning to think I was the only one it bothered!

May not be widely accepted and may be bothersome (thank you Mrs Mungo for mentioning that it seemed to bother Henry, I was wondering if his mindset is addressed...I can't wait to read this book), but it's not perverse either. Maybe it's my having grown up with different cultures, known many teen mothers that were fairly mature (known some immature ones also, but I know immature 40yr old mothers as well), and yes, pregnant by or married to men that were older than them.

I don't think it's perverse in general, just in this context. I grew up overseas, spent nearly a decade in Saudi Arabia where this is still common (in fact a man I'd never met before propositioned my father about marrying me when I was 14) so no, I am no stranger to this. I still feel, in this book, it was creepy.

An interesting movie is My Young Bride. It's a Korean film you can find online. English subtitles. The difference would be that the girl is 15 and the boy is late teens/early 20's. (if you enjoyed Arranged Marriage, you may enjoy this one as it's based on the concept of culturally arranged marriage in modern culture).
Fifteen and 20 is far less bothersome for me that 15 and nearly 40. I guess it's just a matter of opinion!

Ah, okay... I see what you are saying. I thought it was supposed to be "romantic". Thanks for your post; I was beginning to think I was the only one it bothered!

I think to *Claire* it was romantic in a 15-year-old-girl way. I got the impression that she always loved him through that lens.

No, I definitely think it bothered him too. It's been awhile since I've read it, but...

SPOILERS!

...IIRC, she was wanting more from him physically and he was putting her off and putting her off. Didn't she have an opportunity for or entertain the idea of getting physical with someone else--another teenager? And didn't he make her wait until she was 18 before he would really touch her?

Now I really do need to read it again. I listened to the audiobook the first time, but I think I'll read the text this time around.

N

...IIRC, she was wanting more from him physically and he was putting her off and putting her off. Didn't she have an opportunity for or entertain the idea of getting physical with someone else--another teenager? And didn't he make her wait until she was 18 before he would really touch her?

Yes. And as a man can you imagine how tempting that would be? Making love to your 18 year old wife?

No, I definitely think it bothered him too. It's been awhile since I've read it, but...

SPOILERS!

Now I really do need to read it again. I listened to the audiobook the first time, but I think I'll read the text this time around.

I can't see the creep factor in that. Rather more of a matter of a book dealing with each character where they are at.

I think to *Claire* it was romantic in a 15-year-old-girl way. I got the impression that she always loved him through that lens.

ITA with this. She was crushing on him big time from an early age.;) And he did show restraint for the most part. I didn't like how he was sexualizing her at the young age he did, though I know men do do that with pubescent girls. I'm glad at least they didn't have him making out with her at 12 or 13. :glare:

++MORE SPOILS!++

I didn't have a problem with her losing her virginity to him at 18 at all... technically she was an adult. And there's a world of difference between 15 and 18, despite the mere 3 year gap (IMO).

I didn't mean to get hung up on this whole age thing-- it was really a small part of the many other reasons I didn't care for the book.

I can't see the creep factor in that. Rather more of a matter of a book dealing with each character where they are at.

Hey! You're not supposed to be reading the spoilers! :001_tt2:

I think so too. And given the nature of the book, these characters must be met at a LOT of places. I think it was really well done. My DH isn't big on fiction, especially this kind, and he found it very thought provoking and compelling.

Hey! You're not supposed to be reading the spoilers! :001_tt2:

I think so too. And given the nature of the book, these characters must be met at a LOT of places. I think it was really well done. My DH isn't big on fiction, especially this kind, and he found it very thought provoking and compelling.

Eh, spoilers don't bother me. If nothing else, ya'll have made me WANT to read the book. Sci-fi plus Romance...yep!

I didn't mean to get hung up on this whole age thing-- it was really a small part of the many other reasons I didn't care for the book.

It's hard to get past not liking a book in general :D I remember reading rave reviews about a Joyce Carol Oates book and really looking forward to reading it. Then someone gave it to me. I hated the whole thing. The writing was find, but I hated the characters, the miserable family, the wishy-washy parents. I hated how none of them stood up to one another or for one another and how they all allowed inertia to destroy their lives and family, literally. I never even finished it, though I got close. And I've never felt that way about a book before or after! Maybe that was her goal, after all, but UGH. I couldn't stomach it.