Menu

So Dissappointed in Trigger Memory Systems

shyanderson

I purchased a product from this company and it was received damaged. This is the response I received from I believe the company's owner:

I guess what I need to clarify is are you asking our company to foot the cost for an additional program plus shipping because of a mishandling of our package by your postman? Our policy is if a package is damaged by the Post Office and is returned to us (in our original packaging), then we send our customer another program in new packaging. If you would like to return the item you purchase to us, then as soon as we receive it we will send you another program. I would also suggest discussing the matter with your postman. Please let me know what you would like us to do.

Marillee @ TMS Home of Times Tales

I received the product in an simple manila folder with no protective packaging, or do not bend notion on the outside. I cannot understand why it is my responsibility to return it, at my cost. I do not know who damaged the product - I just received it. Plus, they want me to return the product first before they will send out another one. How long do I have to wait to receive this item which they have already received payment.

Maybe I am missing something here. Is this the way the homeschooling community works? In the future, I guess I have to be real specific about return policy before I order.

I am so dissappointed I do not even want to use the product. There are other times tales type of products out there.

I also bought something from her and it came also in a plain envelope. It was a little squished and I was very disappointed and couldn't believe she shipped this way. I didn't ever buy anything else from them. Did you by chance pay by paypal? Maybe you could file a claim? Or better yet, file with your credit card if you paid by visa, etc. She didn't get it to you as described for sure.

I was also disappointed in Times Tales ~ because it didn't work. The concept (using story scenes to help remember math facts) is a good one, but the "scenes" she invented for the facts were themselves really random & hard to remember! My son thought most of them were really dumb and he actually created some of his own illustrations for the facts to show that she could have used much better and "catchier" ideas.

Timez Attack was much more effective in helping my son solidify his multiplication facts, and the basic level is FREE. We ended up buying the full program because DS loved it so much ~ but I'd rather spend $40 on a great, educational computer game that he'll play for hours than spend $35 on a set a goofy drawings that didn't help at all!

Here's a link to Timez Attack:

http://www.bigbrainz.com/

Jackie

This is not typical. All of the companies I have used had enough pride in their product to want all of their clients to be happy. Most of the community also knows that bad news travels fast. I will never buy from them if this is how they deal with damaged product. How rude!

If I were you I would return it and let them know that you and your 2000 closest friends will never buy from them again.:glare:

:iagree:

Thank you for your response. I appreciate your willingness to work with me. Here is my conundrum: I received the product in a simple manila folder with no protective packaging, or do not bend notion on the outside. I would be surprised if it did not arrive damaged. I cannot understand why it is my responsibility to return it, at my cost. I do not know who damaged the product - I just received it. I have to be honest here--I've never had an experience where the buyer was made responsible for damage that happens in shipping. Usually the seller sends a new product, pays for return shipping, and takes the matter up with the shipping company. I think especially considering that there was no protective packaging, that you should pay the return shipping for this product. Thank you for your consideration...

I would tell the company exactly what you told us, with perhaps some added wording (my suggestions in blue, make it work for you of course!). Then let her know if you want a replacement or a refund. Some sellers don't even consider it worth their while to deal with a return--but I'm kind of surprised by this response. I wonder if anyone has ever taken the time to tell the seller that their packaging is inadequate?

Hope you can get a favorable outcome!

Merry :-)

Merry's response sounds great.

You could also send her a link to this thread. Over 100 people have now viewed it. Now we all know that their packaging job is inadequate and the buyer is held responsible. :glare: You'd think the company would want to make it right before all of the hive forms a negative opinion. :001_huh:

The vendor had free shipping from a conference, and I took it because I had flown there. She sent the books in an unreinforced envelope, and they got all bent and distorted. It was so disappointing and unnecessary. I don't buy brand new books like that all that often, so it probably bothered me more than it would some other people.

On the one hand, I thought, this is a homebased business. As it is, she probably didn't make much of anything on these books. So I informed her of what happened in the spirit of letting her know that her packaging was inadequate, but not trying to get my money back or anything like that. And I felt pretty good about that solution, more because I felt like I was dealing with an individual rather than a 'firm' per se.

But if it was a company that was advertising broadly, I would be VERY unimpressed with their stated policy. That's just not right. A company that wants me to come back to them again, or send others to them, will go out of their way to be fair. I can think of two stunning examples.

Gravitas Press--again, a conference deal. They didn't ship my entire order, as they didn't seem to notice a couple of the items on their check off sheet. I called them a week or two after I got the first part of the order to ask about whether the rest was back ordered. When they realized their error, they sent me the remaining books and offered me a higher discount than the original conference deal discount for my trouble. They didn't have to do that, but it spoke volumes about their customer service.

The other--the company that sells LLLOTR. They didn't pack all of my extra books in the carton with the curriculum. I called to ask them when I would be receiving those. The woman on the phone distinctly remembered pulling and packing all of my stuff, so she concluded that she must have sent my box to someone else and someone else's box to me. I read off to her the titles that I received, and she sent me the additional books I had ordered, along with one extra. When I called to offer to ship back the extra one, she told me to keep it.

These are companies of which I am not just a satisfied customer, but a delighted one. These are companies that I recommend confidently to others because in addition to having good products, they have good customer service policies.

Another potential customer here who's likely going to avoid Times Tales if this is their way of handling not just goods damaged in shipping but customers with valid complaints. Her tone was inexcusable! Your postman? Goodness, does she really think you employ a private postman who picked up the parcel from her address and personally delivered it to her?

If she's shipping goods out to customers then she had darn well better make sure she takes the care required to ensure they arrive in reasonable shape. Sounds like she depends on people deciding it's better to just use the damaged goods rather then pay return shipping. It also sounds like she might need a refresher course on basic business responsibilities and ethics.

This annoys the heck out of me.

Maybe they are unaware of the Hive. That really should end. Like I said, her 2000 closest (hive) friends will now know not to order from these people. It is a standard statistic in business that if someone is happy with your service they will tell one friend, if they are disappointed in your service they will tell 10 people. That statistic doesn't take into account the power of the hive of course.:auto: How does that go? "Hell knows no fury like a homeschooling mom's scorn"? :lol:

You'd think that in the age of message boards and blogs they'd understand customer service was important. Sheesh.

If you can get a refund minus the cost of shipping it back to the company, I suggest you take that route. Chalk up the shipping costs as a small fee to try out the program. It's better to pay a small amount and not have the product than to keep the product and never use it.

I don't know if Calvert still has this policy, but I was once way upset that they charged a $25.00 fee in addition to my paying shipping costs to return an item. They called it a restocking fee. I was truly upset. The product itself was only $35! I told them I'd keep it but never purchase from them again because that was a ridiculous policy. They gave me a one-time pass and allowed me to return the items without extra cost. Since then, I only purchased items I knew I would never, never return. I also suggested they put more info and samples online if they expected people to buy without being able to peruse it for suitability.

• 1 year later...
Guest jennifr1966
Merry's response sounds great.

You could also send her a link to this thread. Over 100 people have now viewed it. Now we all know that their packaging job is inadequate and the buyer is held responsible. :glare: You'd think the company would want to make it right before all of the hive forms a negative opinion. :001_huh:

Very true! In fact, I went searching to decide whether to purchase Trigger Memory Systems. But after hearing about inferior packaging and customer service, I'll opt out!

Trigger Memory System: I suggest you remedy this before you lose way too many customers!

I hate Time Tales. Really, I do. I wrote a review for it here (under the name happy.homeschool). I think I might be the only reviewer there who doesn't like it. I really suggest that you check out Memorize in Minutes the Times Tables. You really don't even have to buy it anymore, because the website is great. Check it out here. To the left, choose a fact, such as 3x2. Click on it. You'll then see the video of the story.

Wow, I didn't even realize that. I figured they were talking about the new DVDs. My DVD did still come in a bubble manila envelope. I expected something more along the lines of what I get with amazon (sturdy cardboard). My DVD wasn't damaged.

Otherwise I'm happy with my purchase. We love the Times Tales so I'm more than happy with the actual product.

This may be an old thread...BUT THEY STILL WANT YOU TO PAY! I just received the DVD(Jan. 2011) in the same simple folder, no protective covering, the case was broken, and the DVD and CD do not work! They want me to pay to return it! Really?

Wow! I would be madder than a wet hen. I will never, ever, ever order any of their products. I don't care how great the products are. That's ridiculous!

This may be an old thread...BUT THEY STILL WANT YOU TO PAY! I just received the DVD(Jan. 2011) in the same simple folder, no protective covering, the case was broken, and the DVD and CD do not work! They want me to pay to return it! Really?

Wow. I was thinking it was just an old thread and they have learned from their mistakes. I see they are still mailing things in poor packaging. I was thinking about ordering this now that there is a DVD....but now, NO WAY!!

Thanks for posting this. I'll never recommend their products. Customer service goes a long way in the homeschool community, it is time they learned that. :glare:

Guest RecumbentHeart

Making a mental note for future reference to not do business with this company.

Guest RecumbentHeart
Or you could just get it used from another WTM-er :) That's how I bought mine, and it was so well-packaged :)

And it worked for my son.

Good point.

Let's note this is one sure example of when it is better to buy used than new. :D

... and I would usually buy things like DVDs and CDs new.

Now they want me to send pictures...

Thank you for your quick response. I guess I still do not understand how the plastic case ended up in several pieces. The plastic case is the protective packaging for the DVD since it is made of very durable plastic. Can you take a picture of it and email it to me. That way we can take it up with the company that provided us the DVD cases. Yes, it is pretty standard policy for a company to process a refund for a product once the returned item is received. We will even refund your shipping in full. I look forward to hearing from you.

Would you?

At least they 'say' they will refund the shipping!

Now they want me to send pictures...

Would you?

At least they 'say' they will refund the shipping!

:confused::blink: Seriously?!?! I'm so glad you are posting this, because really, no one needs to be ordering from these people. Geesh, get some boxes! Bubble wrap, heard of it??

How did you pay? Can you go through your credit card company to get a refund?

I think I would ask them for a call tag if they want me to send it back. But gosh, I have never had to worry about that. Most companies do that without being asked.

I'm so sorry you are going through this, but I have to thank you for saving me the hassle.

I know we have high expectations , but do you know how many companies get ripped off by people 'claiming' to have received damaged product when they didn't?

I think it is VERY fair to send pictures and actually MOST companies will require you to pay the return shipping or a restocking fee. Companies that can afford to do more usually will especially if they are at fault.

I hope most folks don't really follow through with their "That's it! I will never purchase from this company!" reaction because of one persons posted experience over a year old.

The DVD worked for us in two days with almost a week of practice in between. We just finished today. I could not be happier.

I've been very happy with the customer service from HS-er owned/led companies so far.

GWG & Writing Tales both have come extremely well-packaged and quickly. When I've run into a problem (like when I made the mistake of ordering another student book instead of the student workbook), the companies have been very good with which to work.

I appreciate knowing when customer service is a problem and what the problem is. (An example is the Rainbow Science people who sometimes can't get the curriculum to you for a few months.) So, I appreciate this thread from the perspective that I know what to expect from this company.

I got a Life of Fred book slightly mushed up, which was very disappointing because ds keeps and treasures LOF books.

I called Polka Dot Press (who publishes and mails LOF). They didn't even ask me to return the book. They simply sent a replacement book.

So -- just another reason to love LOF. (Times Tales did not work here.)

I know we have high expectations , but do you know how many companies get ripped off by people 'claiming' to have received damaged product when they didn't?

I think it is VERY fair to send pictures and actually MOST companies will require you to pay the return shipping or a restocking fee. Companies that can afford to do more usually will especially if they are at fault.

I hope most folks don't really follow through with their "That's it! I will never purchase from this company!" reaction because of one persons posted experience over a year old.

The DVD worked for us in two days with almost a week of practice in between. We just finished today. I could not be happier.

The original post was over a year old, but my post is just a few days. My point was not to ruin the company, they may have a great product (wouldn't know I can't use it) My point is that it is obvious that several people have complained for at least over a year, and yet they still ship their product in inadequate packaging. I did not want to return a product because I didn't like it (restocking fee) but because when I received it the case was broken(due simply to inadequate shipping material) and the DVD could freely move around inside the case, scratching it. This was not my fault or the post offices fault. The fault falls on the comapny that shipped the product w/o proper materials. I sent an e-mail the day I received it. I didn't keep it 14 days and then contact the company, I did it the minute I walked in the door from getting the mail. I am upset because I know they received complaints (original post a year ago) and YET they still ship the same way, costing me money, time and frustration.

They are willing to give me a refund, AFTER I package it up(costs money), drive into town(costs money), pay to ship it back with confirmation(costs money) my time (???). It seems I end up having to 'eat' the cost because of their shipping policy. That is the frustration, NOT THE PRODUCT ITSELF!

Guest RecumbentHeart
I got a Life of Fred book slightly mushed up, which was very disappointing because ds keeps and treasures LOF books.

I called Polka Dot Press (who publishes and mails LOF). They didn't even ask me to return the book. They simply sent a replacement book.

So -- just another reason to love LOF. (Times Tales did not work here.)

:001_wub:

The original post was over a year old, but my post is just a few days. My point was not to ruin the company, they may have a great product (wouldn't know I can't use it) My point is that it is obvious that several people have complained for at least over a year, and yet they still ship their product in inadequate packaging. I did not want to return a product because I didn't like it (restocking fee) but because when I received it the case was broken(due simply to inadequate shipping material) and the DVD could freely move around inside the case, scratching it. This was not my fault or the post offices fault. The fault falls on the comapny that shipped the product w/o proper materials. I sent an e-mail the day I received it. I didn't keep it 14 days and then contact the company, I did it the minute I walked in the door from getting the mail. I am upset because I know they received complaints (original post a year ago) and YET they still ship the same way, costing me money, time and frustration.

They are willing to give me a refund, AFTER I package it up(costs money), drive into town(costs money), pay to ship it back with confirmation(costs money) my time (???). It seems I end up having to 'eat' the cost because of their shipping policy. That is the frustration, NOT THE PRODUCT ITSELF!

I hear ya. It's the time that frustrates me the most. I wouldn't choose to order from a company whom I now know I would ultimately be taking a gamble with and may be out time and more money once my order arrives. I have enough to do and enough to worry about. If I ever want this product, I'll buy used from someone with a better reputation for valuing the stuff they're selling and the people buying it. You just can't put a price on peace of mind.

The plastic case is the protective packaging for the DVD since it is made of very durable plastic.

(quote above is from company email)

Say what? The plastic case is part of the product for which you have paid, is it not? When you purchase a movie or a cd, the case that they're in is part of the item! The dvd/cd comes in packaging - bubble wrap, boxes, styrofoam peanuts, etc etc. The case isn't shipping material. :confused:

I would tell the company exactly what you told us, with perhaps some added wording (my suggestions in blue, make it work for you of course!). Then let her know if you want a replacement or a refund. Some sellers don't even consider it worth their while to deal with a return--but I'm kind of surprised by this response. I wonder if anyone has ever taken the time to tell the seller that their packaging is inadequate?

Hope you can get a favorable outcome!

Merry :-)

:iagree:

Guest RecumbentHeart
:hurray: I sent in the pictures and they refunded my money in full!

Awesome news! I hope they change the way the ship them too - that would be even better news. :D