Menu

"reek havoc"

Technically it is incorrect. It's just so widely done that it has now become acceptable - like "curriculums" and "I could care less" and dangling prepositions.

:tongue_smilie:

There have been quite long threads on this very matter. It really depends on which style manual you refer to. I believe The Chicago Manual of Style says the apostrophe is correct. I own about five style manuals and I have looked it up. I can't reference right now so hopefully someone else will weigh in.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Qualitity - The contents of Pamela Anderson's shirt. :D

Wouldn't that be quantitity? :tongue_smilie:

How about if you loose something? If I see that someone is going to loose their mind one more time, I might just might loose mine. :D

I've seen not one but TWO tattoos that said "Born To Loose." How sad is that???

Jackie

Were they Spanish speakers by any chance?? In Spanish the word is the same for "borrowing" and "lending".

No, they weren't spanish speakers but thanks for that bit of info, I did not know that. :)

Edited by Charlotte

On one of my online loops, a member pointed out to the group that wallah is incorrect and that the word was actually viola. :lol: I didn't have the heart to correct her, but someone else did.

LOL!

someone was recounting an incorrect parliamentary procedure at a 4-H meeting, and the gal that was listening got steemed and hollered "But that's not right!!! Their valedictorian should have caught that!!!!"

[parliamentarian --oops] lol!

Made up word:

DH & I were in the car and having an innocent conversation when (I don't know how, really) when he used the word:

episium

"You know, where they do the episiotomy. On the episium."

"THAT is NOT the word." I am laughing so hard that I can't even remember the word.

The next day, perineum! just pops into my head so I page DH that word all by itself. One of the docs he works with picks up DH's pager accidently, reads the page and then says, "This is not my pager," puts the pager down and walks away. DH is wondering what the heck the doc thinks of that page.

:lol:

This weekend new first year students arrived on the campus where I work. One of their orientation sessions was a presentation on alcohol awareness; there was a slide on the power point that said, "cheep beer."

The poor woman who was doing the presentation, a PhD, was mortified when I told her. Fortunately, we were testing the equipment before the actual event, so she was able to change it. "These kids are paying through the nose for a quality education," she said. "Yeah, kids, it's really worth your money to come to school here! Gah!"

I had the funniest experience this weekend, where I couldn't stop thinking about this thread...

My SIL (who I love, btw :D), was over visiting. She was talking about one of our nieces, and saying how she has a lot of tantrums. But, she kept pronouncing it 'tantertrum'. She said it like 8 or 9 times that way, always the same mispronunciation. Since she said it so many times, it was clear she actually thought that was the correct way to pronounce it. She didn't say it the right way even one time! So I didn't have the heart to correct her; I didn't want to embarrass her. But everytime she said it, I cringed; hopefully just internally! :001_smile:

I had the funniest experience this weekend, where I couldn't stop thinking about this thread...

My SIL (who I love, btw :D), was over visiting. She was talking about one of our nieces, and saying how she has a lot of tantrums. But, she kept pronouncing it 'tantertrum'. She said it like 8 or 9 times that way, always the same mispronunciation. Since she said it so many times, it was clear she actually thought that was the correct way to pronounce it. She didn't say it the right way even one time! So I didn't have the heart to correct her; I didn't want to embarrass her. But everytime she said it, I cringed; hopefully just internally! :001_smile:

Heh, heh. Tantertrum sounds a little like redrum. Maybe she was just contracting temper tantrum?

Oh!

That reminds me that my husband kept talking about cutting the umBIBLICAL cord. Oh, that made me cringe. ("Who are you, and am I really carrying your child?!") Even after I gently told him the real word, he kept saying it umbiblical.

My brother had a stroke and I went back to Illinois (where we are from) to see him in the hospital. His Dr. had given him some speech exercises to do. His assignment was to say each of these compound words. They were words like backpack, potpie, etc.

His wife (who "knows everything about everything") told him, "you need to pronunciate your words". He kept saying,"pronounce". She kept correcting him with "pronunciate".

I replied with (and, let me just say that the ONLY reason I inserted the bit in here about Oklahoma was that I was trying to soften the fact that I was correcting her), "Yeah, in Oklahoma they say "enunciate". She, with hand on hip and smirk on face retorted, "Honey, I have family in Broken Arrow AND Tulsa and THERE IS NO SUCH WORD AS ENUNCIATE!"

:001_huh:

With that, confident that I had been put firmly in my place, she turned heel and huffed out of the hospital room. After she was safely out of earshot I leaned down to my brother's bed and whispered, "She's wrong and I'm right".

He said,"you know what's bad? I just had a stroke and I'm correcting the way SHE talks!" :lol:

My brother had a stroke and I went back to Illinois (where we are from) to see him in the hospital. His Dr. had given him some speech exercises to do. His assignment was to say each of these compound words. They were words like backpack, potpie, etc.

His wife (who "knows everything about everything") told him, "you need to pronunciate your words". He kept saying,"pronounce". She kept correcting him with "pronunciate".

I replied with (and, let me just say that the ONLY reason I inserted the bit in here about Oklahoma was that I was trying to soften the fact that I was correcting her), "Yeah, in Oklahoma they say "enunciate". She, with hand on hip and smirk on face retorted, "Honey, I have family in Broken Arrow AND Tulsa and THERE IS NO SUCH WORD AS ENUNCIATE!"

With that, confident that I had been put firmly in my place, she turned heel and huffed out of the hospital room. After she was safely out of earshot I leaned down to my brother's bed and whispered, "She's wrong and I'm right".

He said,"you know what's bad? I just had a stroke and I'm correcting the way SHE talks!" :lol:

Oh, my goodness! That poor woman must have been so stressed out. I am still chuckling over this. Funny at so many levels.

Made up word:

DH & I were in the car and having an innocent conversation when (I don't know how, really) when he used the word:

episium

"You know, where they do the episiotomy. On the episium."

"THAT is NOT the word." I am laughing so hard that I can't even remember the word.

The next day, perineum! just pops into my head so I page DH that word all by itself. One of the docs he works with picks up DH's pager accidently, reads the page and then says, "This is not my pager," puts the pager down and walks away. DH is wondering what the heck the doc thinks of that page.

You have no idea how happy you've made me! I've always had a hard time distinguishing the terms "perineum" and "peritoneum." I'll never forget now.

:lol::lol::lol:

Lawana

That is so hilarious! I can just picture it in my mind!

Chelle

Our last name is Jacobs. When we were newlyweds, someone gave us an entryway/front door plaque that read, "The Jacob's". I threw it out.

We were the recipients of a lovely Lands' End tote bag with just that kind of error. Our last name is a fairly common female name, so I just pretend I have a girl named that and imagine it to be her bag!;)

It drives me crazy every time I use it, but it's such a great bag and the friends are so dear...I just smile and think of them and try to lighten up!

Chelle

These are too fun.

In highschool, my wicked stepmother prefaced something she said with, "I don't mean to be an org...."

O.k., I'm probably going to be embarrassed (did I spell that right?), but I don't get that one, Misty!

Two language issues I saw today are:

Sign on the pharmacy counter: "In order to assist us in preserving patient confidentially..."

Local business sign: "The best antique's are old friends." Sorry, Mrs. Mungo! I know you're mourning the loss of yet another kitten!

Chelle

Our last name is Jacobs. When we were newlyweds, someone gave us an entryway/front door plaque that read, "The Jacob's". I threw it out.

Okay, I understand the error in your case, but these plaques have me confused. I always thought that The Smith's, for instance, would be short for The Smith's Home. Should it actually read simply The Smiths?

Okay, I understand the error in your case, but these plaques have me confused. I always thought that The Smith's, for instance, would be short for The Smith's Home. Should it actually read simply The Smiths?

The Smith's would mean the home of but one Smith--usually plaque people mean their whole family lives there. :)

The Smiths would mean that's who lived there.

The Smiths' would mean the home of the bunch of Smiths. :tongue_smilie:

The Smith's would mean the home of but one Smith--usually plaque people mean their whole family lives there. :)

The Smiths would mean that's who lived there.

The Smiths' would mean the home of the bunch of Smiths. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, my word. I can't believe I couldn't figure that one out. Of course.

• 2 weeks later...

Some fun ones I've seen/heard:

I hate it when people use the word "irregardless."

My dad insists that protein is pronounced pro-tee-in and not pro-teen and he always used to gripe at us for "dwaddling" when he thought we walked too slowly.

I was on a website shopping for a video, and I had to click on the "video's" link. :rolleyes:

Several people I have talked to say "renumeration" and not "remuneration."

I overheard a conversation the other day, wherein someone was doing a survey, that went like this "Okay, now I need to ax you some pacific questions. Was you told that...." My tongue still hurts from biting it so hard as I walked past.

Maybe I'm just a grammar snob. :001_huh:

Edited by Aurelia