Menu

Door to Door Religious Visitors

I wouldn't do this now but I did when I was a teenager and lived at home. A friend told me to tell the Mormon missionaries we were "disfellowshipped" They left very quickly and we never had another visit.

Now, I just don't answer the door or I just say I am not interested.

Oops! I'm surprised they didn't show up a few days later with their ward (congregation)mission leader in tow! That one probably won't work very often. Generally those two young men would write that down, convey it to their area leader, and then they would more than likely start searching for your membership records! Being disfellowshipped simply is a mild form of discipline in which the member may not be allowed to partake in certain things like the Sacrament. You are looking for ex-communicated, and even then I would be surprised if they left you alone. They probably knew full well you were giving them a line of bull because they would have a leader to tell them whether that was true or not. :001_smile:

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was surprised to see some say that as I have never been offered anything unless it was someone that I had called on before and I was invited in.

LOL. We were doing return visits this morning and I was looking through my book for calls near where we were. I asked the driver if she knew where one particular street was and my daughter was like, "oh, those were the people that gave us cookies!" LOL

And we got water fairly recently. I was a little worried as the house it came from was filthy, but how bad can bottled water be as long as the safety seal is still intact?

Oops! I'm surprised they didn't show up a few days later with their ward (congregation)mission leader in tow! That one probably won't work very often. Generally those two young men would write that down, convey it to their area leader, and then they would more than likely start searching for your membership records! Being disfellowshipped simply is a mild form of discipline in which the member may not be allowed to partake in certain things like the Sacrament. You are looking for ex-communicated, and even then I would be surprised if they left you alone. They probably knew full well you were giving them a line of bull because they would have a leader to tell them whether that was true or not. :001_smile:

Well, I was only 16 and going by what a friend told me. We lived in a big Mormon area so they probably did know I was lying, LOL. Like I said I would never do that now.

We usually don't answer the door either if we're not expecting visitors. Our friends and colleagues know that and make sure to call in advance if they're about to visit us on a random unplanned occasion.

When I somehow do end up in a communication with somebody trying to "save" my soul, my first reaction is tell them politely, but quietly and seriously, that I'm not interested. I never take their literature.

I lost control only once in my entire life - not something I'm proud of, but those ladies definitely needed their mouths shut. I said something along the lines, "We declined your Jesus millenia ago and, believe it or not, we are still not interested in being associated with your false messiah in any way." At that point one of them probably noticed a menorah behind me (which only later I noticed myself, as it wasn't in its usual place - somebody had put on the commode in the entrance room and obviously forgot to return to the living room), did the math and they finally left. I don't think that was excessively rude, but I wouldn't have alluded to my background had I not been provoked (we're completely secular, btw).

• 1 month later...
What is your response to religious solicitation such as Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons? Do you politely decline, shut the door in their faces, listen to them and get in religious discussions? Has anyone on the board changed their religion due to a "cold call" from religious visitors?

My response to JWs is always polite and gracious. I ask them if they're aware that according to their religion, only six million will be saved. I also ask them if they're aware that there are already more than six million Jehovah's witnesses and there won't be room even for the ones that are already signed up. Then I ask them if it makes sense to keep filling the boat when there's no room left in heaven and wouldn't it be smarter if they just went home and didn't tell anyone else about the good news.

You can usually get rid of Mormons by asking them why African Americans are not "worthy" (their words, not mine) of heaven. They usually start twittering at that point trying to explain it away. I usually shut the door around that time.

Edited by tdeveson

What is your response to religious solicitation such as Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons? Do you politely decline, shut the door in their faces, listen to them and get in religious discussions? Has anyone on the board changed their religion due to a "cold call" from religious visitors?
We just politely decline. I often wonder what kinds of people are actually receptive to these solicitors.

Our youngest son LOVES these visitors. He invites them in and makes friends with them. I wouldn't say he has religious discussions with them, though.

We're REALLY just looking for people who ARE interested in God's Kingdom or would be if they knew what it is and what the effects of that govt will be. We go door to door. We preach.

A newspaper ad would be a better choice. I find it personally insulting for a perfect stranger to knock on my door and begin questioning me on my beliefs.

I do not answer the door. Just hide & wait for them to leave.
That's what I do, too, if I'm home alone. Just because a couple of guys are wearing white shirts and black ties doesn't mean I'm going to feel safe opening my door to them. They'll need to come back in Cub Scout uniforms if they want me to do that. Edited by Janet in WA

I made a no soliciting sign for my door and added no magazines, no surveys, and no contests (sometimes the salespeople claim they aren't selling anything but are doing a contest or trying to win a scholarship but the end result is that they expect me to buy something I don't want), but as far as I can tell, no one has ever heeded it. We've never had any religious visitors here except for people advertising events by putting up door hangers.

I have a No Soliciting sign next to my door - one of those from the office supply store. I just point to the door and tell them "Sorry, but No Soliciting". Some have tried to tell me that they aren't selling anything, but I just answer. "Yes, you are" and close the door.

I give the same answer to everyone and don't quibble.

This is incorrect. Jehovah's Witnesses do not believe this.
Yes. I have no clue where the number 6 million came from, or the idea that a limited number will be chosen by God.

Revelation 7:9 After these things I saw, and, look! a great crowd, which no man was able to number, out of all nations and tribes and peoples and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, dressed in white robes; and there were palm branches in their hands. 10 And they keep on crying with a loud voice, saying: “Salvation [we owe] to our God, who is seated on the throne, and to the Lamb.”

11 And all the angels were standing around the throne and the elders and the four living creatures, and they fell upon their faces before the throne and worshiped God, 12 saying: “Amen! The blessing and the glory and the wisdom and the thanksgiving and the honor and the power and the strength [be] to our God forever and ever. Amen.”

13 And in response one of the elders said to me: “These who are dressed in the white robes, who are they and where did they come from?” 14So right away I said to him: “My lord, you are the one that knows.” And he said to me: “These are the ones that come out of the great tribulation, and they have washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

I am also curious as to why this thread was resurrected.

I usually politely decline, but will shut the door in their face if they are pushy.

My dh, on the other hand, will witness right back and WILL get into theological debates. I feel kind of sorry for anyone that has him answer the door instead of me ;)

I ask lots of questions and will witness right back, too, if I don't agree. My dh probably feels sorry for them, too ;). I never argue, however, and remain respectful.

I usually just say, "Sorry, but I'm a godless heathen" and shut the door. It's not true, but I don't appreciate being proselytized to at my own front door. If I were interested in seeking out information about other religions or answer to religious questions, I'm capable of finding it online, in a book, or one of the hundreds of places of worship in my area.

I will chat with them, invite them to sit on the front porch, get them something to drink. I can only remember JWs coming by once in 5 1/2 years we've been here, but the LDS folks are frequent visitors.

I try to be particularly hospitable to the LDS, as they are generally young men away from home and I can imagine how their mamas must feel. I have no problem discussing where I disagree with them and the conversations are always pleasant. We've met some really nice folks at our front door. :001_smile:

I will chat with them, invite them to sit on the front porch, get them something to drink. I can only remember JWs coming by once in 5 1/2 years we've been here, but the LDS folks are frequent visitors.

I try to be particularly hospitable to the LDS, as they are generally young men away from home and I can imagine how their mamas must feel. I have no problem discussing where I disagree with them and the conversations are always pleasant. We've met some really nice folks at our front door. :001_smile:

When my sons are out in the world, for whatever reason they find themselves there, I hope they meet people like you, Amy.

My husband was raised LDS and I was raised evangelical. We are no longer, and while we tend to be relatively hostile to religion (just keepin' it real, folks), I tried my darndest to be courteous to the missionaries without inviting discussion. We did once let them come in and do their schpeil. They were sweet, and I kind of wanted to pinch their cheeks and feed them pie.

That all ended the day they showed up at our door because my "husband had requested a Book of Mormon." I nearly fell over. First of all, we have several, and secondly, he would NEVER do that. It seems our extended family found a surreptitious way to send the missionaries to our house.

After moving several times with the military, with missionaries showing up before I'd unpacked a box, I finally laid down the smack. I told my husband if his family kept sending them, he had to remove his name from the roles and he would be cast out into outer darkness. (Hyperbole, folks...)

We live in the country in northern Minnesota. We hunt, and we fish. The last time we had a visit from the JH's we had a deer hanging in a tree, and a bucketful of fish cleaning leftovers (from that day's catch) outside the door. We must have made quite an impression, because they haven't been back since. :D

All of our neighbors are strict Catholics, who tend to to have a "take no prisoners" attitude when it comes to religious solicitors. They also have a calling tree of sorts to let other neighbors know the JHs are in the area.

I see no reason to be rude. I'm pretty sure my ego could not take the rejection they experience.

We live in the country in northern Minnesota. We hunt, and we fish. The last time we had a visit from the JH's we had a deer hanging in a tree, and a bucketful of fish cleaning leftovers (from that day's catch) outside the door. We must have made quite an impression, because they haven't been back since. :D

All of our neighbors are strict Catholics, who tend to to have a "take no prisoners" attitude when it comes to religious solicitors. They also have a calling tree of sorts to let other neighbors know the JHs are in the area.

I see no reason to be rude. I'm pretty sure my ego could not take the rejection they experience.

The scene you described is mild to some JWs come across. That is not why you've not seen them back. They didn't make a note that said, 'dead deer hanging in tree, gross, don't go back.' More than likely since as you say you are in the rurals it is an area that is seldom worked.

We know all about the calling trees. Tis no secret. ;)

I generally politely decline and say we have a church we are happy with. My one exception to this was when we lived in Belgium. We were living in a Belgian town and one day we had two elderly ladies come up to our house. It turns out they were JW. Well my French isn't good enough to have a theological conversation with them but it was good enough to extoll the virtue of my native country, the USA. I did this because Belgium had made JW an unrecognized religion and these ladies were violating the law by doing what their faith required. While I didn't hold to their version at all, I did feel that our First Amendment is a wonderful thing. So I told them how in my country, everyone gets to have freedom of religion. ANd they went on their way to talk to actual Belgians.

I look at it as an "open door" to do some sharing/witnessing of my own ;). I pray all the time, that the Lord will give me oportunties to share Jesus with others. It's hard being a stay at home/homschooling mom. I don't get as many chances as I would like. To have someone at my door willing to talk about the Bible, is a huge flashing light for ME to witness. I like how it challenges me in my faith. There are times when I don't know how to answer something. This sends me to the Word and deeper study of the issue. I always try to keep it very respectful and friendly though.

Last spring some Jehova's Witnesses showed up here. I talked with them for awhile and was interested in what they had to say. That was the extent of my interest. Then one of them started coming weekly. She would even leave notes on my door if I was not home! It really was getting to be a problem. I knew I was going to have to deal with this and say something. Fortunately, they haven't been back in about a month. I'll bet they will come back. The one woman who came regularly knew we homeschooled and sometimes were taking a break outside. Her coming was definitely an intrusion. Now I think I know how to politely tell her (after reading some of these posts) thank you, but we are not interested in joining her church.

Woolybear

I open the door and let my cat deal with it, I was told by some Jehova's witnesses that my cat was possessed. When we lived in Saginaw, MI our cat attacked the witnesses, they went to the wrong door (there was a sign on said door saying to go to the garage door). Had some Catholics also come to the same house, went to the same door and proceeded to tell me that my cat needed to see an exorcist to rid her of the many demons

Yes. I have no clue where the number 6 million came from, or the idea that a limited number will be chosen by God.

I am also curious as to why this thread was resurrected.

I didn't look at the dates of the posts and did not read all the previous posts just some on the first and second pages. I didn't see this post when it was originally written. When I saw it now, I had my little two (maybe just one :)) cents to add.

Woolybear

I open the door and let my cat deal with it, I was told by some Jehova's witnesses that my cat was possessed. When we lived in Saginaw, MI our cat attacked the witnesses, they went to the wrong door (there was a sign on said door saying to go to the garage door). Had some Catholics also come to the same house, went to the same door and proceeded to tell me that my cat needed to see an exorcist to rid her of the many demons

You should breed that cat.

Ouch. Please don't accept it if you have no intention of reading it. The literature costs money to produce and the work is supported entirely by voluntary donations.

I've had their tracts shoved into my hand as I was slamming the door. Incredibly rude. Not only did they disturb my home uninvited, they make me deal with their garbage too. Darn right it's going in the recycling bin.

She's fixed, which is a good thing because she is a rather cranky, b*tchy cat compared to most cats I have been around, oh and her name is Bob. (maybe that's her problem?)

But just think of the possibilities. You could sell kittens with an instinct to ward off solicitors. Goldmine.

Edited by Tangerine
one 'f' too few

I look at it as an "open door" to do some sharing/witnessing of my own ;). I pray all the time, that the Lord will give me oportunties to share Jesus with others. It's hard being a stay at home/homschooling mom. I don't get as many chances as I would like. To have someone at my door willing to talk about the Bible, is a huge flashing light for ME to witness. I like how it challenges me in my faith. There are times when I don't know how to answer something. This sends me to the Word and deeper study of the issue. I always try to keep it very respectful and friendly though.
Lovely thought. I can definitely relate to this.

:lol:

I think I am going to use this!

Well, at least in India they are a bit more unlikely to look at you as if you had three heads and say, "Did you say *pantheon*?"

For us, it helps that, as polytheists, the statement is indeed accurate and not just something to get rid of them.;)