Menu

I think the only reason NOT to return a shopping cart to a corral is...

It is dangerous & inconsiderate to leave carts unattended.

A strong wind coming off Lake Erie has been known to knock over adults. Imagine what it can do with a parking lot full of carts! Carts blowing! Cars swerving! The elderly getting knocked down like bowling pins!

What you're basically saying is that your children are more important than public safety & that you can't or won't figure out a way to return a cart & keep your kids safe. Really?

Can't we all just get our carts in the corral?

It's for the children!

Are you being sarcastic? Because if so, you had me rolling laughing. :lol:

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My kids aren't so little anymore, but I used to buckle them in the carseats, unload the cart, lock the doors and return the cart. Even in a large parking lot my run to the cart return and back was less than a minute (really much less)--not long enough for a stranger to report me, not long enough for a stranger to break in the car and harm the children. Be honest how far is the cart return?! Unless you have a disability, I can't believe you can't return the cart. (OK, I'll let the person who had to pee off too--next time you'll use the toilet before leaving home, just like you tell your kids)

Yes, stores hire people to return the carts. The more carts left out the more people the store must hire and that will be reflected in the stores prices. I would welcome the coin return carts here. If that happens, my guess is 95% of the people who say they can't because they have small children will suddenly be able to return their cart.

And yes this is a huge issue for persons with disabilities. I've seen those spaces get filled with carts. A person who honestly qualified for handicapped parking really needs it and leaving your cart there is truly selfish.

It's these little acts of selfishness that keep increasing and make it hard just to get along. It's not just carts. Every little act of selfishness adds up and makes it hard to generally get along.

I think it depends!!

When I lived in MI, I always returned my cart to the corral. Why? because: The store hardly ever sent people to get them from outside. The parking lot was sloped so all the carts rolled all over the lot with the slightest breath of air on them. And they had a ton of corrals in the lot so it was very easy to make sure your cart was in one.

Here in FL I always leave my cart by my car. Why? because: There is almost always someone outside gathering the carts. When I first moved here they had no corrals, now they have one and it's way out beyond where anyone parks. The parking lot is very flat and I have never seen a cart move on it's own in the parking lot (in MI I often watched carts fly across the parking lot). And frankly, down here if I spend a couple of extra minutes returning my cart to the store, I will have no ice cream when I get home. It's that hot in my car that I need that AC to be turned at once or all my frozen food will thawed.

So, it depends on the store and what part of the country.

Melissa

I think the only reason NOT to return a shopping cart to a corral is... because (despite all the excuses, ifs ands or buts {other than a medical emergency}) the shopper is rude, inconsiderate and demonstrates a high degree of selfishness.

On a recent trip to the States I watched a woman unload her cart and then leave it behind someone else's car. What she did not see was the owner of the car coming up only 50 or so feet behind her. He did not say a word and simply moved her cart back behind HER car. As she backed out her bumper slipped underneath the basket of the cart and, as she was pulling out a little too fast, the dent and resultant scratches on her expensive car were (from my perspective) most satisfying.

Fortunately the cart was not damaged as that would have been a shame.

I never told anyone to leave their children in the car & return the cart.

(I know I am not the cart police.)

I did say (not in the original post) that it is possible to be considerate (by returning the cart) and keep your children safe. You just have to WANT to do it.

Some are cart-returners. Some are not. ETA: And I love you all!

I think the only reason NOT to return a shopping cart to a corral is... because (despite all the excuses, ifs ands or buts {other than a medical emergency}) the shopper is rude, inconsiderate and demonstrates a high degree of selfishness.

On a recent trip to the States I watched a woman unload her cart and then leave it behind someone else's car. What she did not see was the owner of the car coming up only 50 or so feet behind her. He did not say a word and simply moved her cart back behind HER car. As she backed out her bumper slipped underneath the basket of the cart and, as she was pulling out a little too fast, the dent and resultant scratches on her expensive car were (from my perspective) most satisfying.

Expensive lesson learned, but perhaps she can now see what might have happened to the other driver's car.

:lol::lol:

I admit I don't always return the carts. I'm not letting my kids stand/run in the parking lot while I unload groceries and I'm certainly not leaving them for even a split-second for any reason.

99% of the time I can park by a corral, but that 1% of the time...it's just too bad. If you don't like it, leave the spots open by the corrals for moms with young kids!:tongue_smilie:

OTOH - it irks me to no end to see moms leave their little one's in the cart behind the car as they unload into the trunk. The baby is essentially in the middle of TRAFFIC:glare: I've been tempted to say something a time or too...

ETA: when I do leave a cart, I always prop it up on the median so it isn't a flight risk for the elderly...LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by 3blessingmom

I never returned my cart when the kids were small. No way was I going to leave them just to return the car. I was careful to put it in the middle of the lines so it wasn't in the way. Oh well. Too bad. My babies were more important. I also always leave my cart out at Aldi. I often see people who need the quarter, so I leave it for them. Unless it's close to closing.

I did say (not in the original post) that it is possible to be considerate (by returning the cart) and keep your children safe. You just have to WANT to do it.

Some are cart-returners. Some are not. ETA: And I love you all!

How presumptuous of you ;) Some stores this is easier than others. Some stores it's not possible. Our WalMart, for example, only had a cart thing every other lane and the lot was always packed. Most of the time I would have had to go a whole row over and there *wasn't* any possible way to return it without leaving the car.

I never returned my cart when the kids were small. No way was I going to leave them just to return the car. I was careful to put it in the middle of the lines so it wasn't in the way. Oh well. Too bad. .

....”ifs ands or buts”… the net result is still rudeness and lack of consideration for others.

Someone's car gets dinged when the wind blows your cart into their car.... Oh well. Too bad.

Someone can not find a space because your cart has blown into a parking space.... Oh well. Too bad.

The store has to incur additional costs or take someone off the checkout lines to police up the carts.... Oh well. Too bad.

Children see people leave carts in the parking lot and come to the conclusion that manners and responsibility are not important... Oh well. Too bad.

With my children I always return the cart. It is a teaching lesson, I try to demonstrate how doing the right thing is important even if it takes time and makes life a little more difficult. This is intended to teach consideration and politeness in a world where the "me first" attitude is ever more frequently seen.

Are we really arguing about shopping carts? For real?

This is not simply an issue of a few carts it demonstrates how we feel about our fellow citizens and how we treat others.

I don't leave it in the parking lot, but at one Wal-Mart I go to, you can park on the side of the building right next to the sidewalk. I will leave it on the sidewalk, close to the wall (so people can pass), but I won't leave my kids alone to return the cart inside the building.

If I'm in different parking lot, I park by the corrals, which might mean I have to park in the next county over to get by the nearest corral. So far I've always found a space close enough to a corral, though it might mean a long walk.

....â€ifs ands or butsâ€â€¦ the net result is still rudeness and lack of consideration for others.

Someone's car gets dinged when the wind blows your cart into their car.... Oh well. Too bad.

Someone can not find a space because your cart has blown into a parking space.... Oh well. Too bad.

The store has to incur additional costs or take someone off the checkout lines to police up the carts.... Oh well. Too bad.

Children see people leave carts in the parking lot and come to the conclusion that manners and responsibility are not important... Oh well. Too bad.

With my children I always return the cart. It is a teaching lesson, I try to demonstrate how doing the right thing is important even if it takes time and makes life a little more difficult. This is intended to teach consideration and politeness in a world where the "me first" attitude is ever more frequently seen.

This is not simply an issue of a few carts it demonstrates how we feel about our fellow citizens and how we treat others.

I agree here. It's just respectful.

And I read one of these posts that mentioned not returning the cart because the high price of food - well the courtesy clerk that has to gather all those carts has nothing to do with setting the food prices and only makes about 6 bucks an hour to pull all those in, regardless of 100 degree weather or stormy, wet days.

I admit I don't always return the carts. I'm not letting my kids stand/run in the parking lot while I unload groceries and I'm certainly not leaving them for even a split-second for any reason.

99% of the time I can park by a corral, but that 1% of the time...it's just too bad. If you don't like it, leave the spots open by the corrals for moms with young kids!:tongue_smilie:

OTOH - it irks me to no end to see moms leave their little one's in the cart behind the car as they unload into the trunk. The baby is essentially in the middle of TRAFFIC:glare: I've been tempted to say something a time or too...

ETA: when I do leave a cart, I always prop it up on the median so it isn't a flight risk for the elderly...LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:iagree:

I do what I can to make sure I'm close enough to return a cart when I park. There are cart collectors for this reason. I do the same thing at Aldi if I have my children with me....I'll do without the quarter to make sure my kiddos are safe and not unattended.

It irks the hound out of me to see folks leave shopping carts in the middle of the lot (I have always returned mine even when my daughter was an infant), but what really ticks me off is to watch people stick their carts in the handicapped space----it's *not* a cart corral!!! I actually watched one woman parked equidistant from a handicapped spot and a cart corral *deliberately choose to walk the same distance* to stick her cart *in the middle of the handicapped space*. I went up and told her that I was sure the next person in a wheelchair would be more than happy to stop their car, get themselves and their wheelchair out, move her cart, get themselves and their wheelchair back in the car and finish parking so that they could get themselves and their wheelchair out again to return her cart to the store for her since she couldn't be bothered to walk the two spaces the *other* way. Then I moved the cart to the store myself.

We have neither raging snowstorms nor desert heat here, particularly not every day of the year. It's amazing to me that, while I see carts all over the parking lots of every other store, I have *never* seen *any* carts left in the parking lot of *any* Aldis (which has a quarter rental fee to get the cart in the first place) regardless of the weather even though I see families with lots of small kids shopping there.............

Perhaps only people who hate their children shop at Aldis?;)

It's amazing to me that, while I see carts all over the parking lots of every other store, I have *never* seen *any* carts left in the parking lot of *any* Aldis (which has a quarter rental fee to get the cart in the first place) regardless of the weather even though I see families with lots of small kids shopping there.............

Perhaps only people who hate their children shop at Aldis?;)

I do shop at Aldi's, and I don't return my cart there either! I always offer it to someone who is walking towards the store. They are happy to not pay for a cart and I'm happy to pay 25 cents to not walk back to the store (although, more often than not they will hand me the quarter). It's a win-win situation.

Melissa

Part of the problem with the handicapped spots is that there is no cart corral near them. I don't know why they do that... but I have to walk a considerable distance to return my cart.

That's why I don't mind paying the quarter at Aldi for a buggie. No buggies in the parking lot there. Everyone wants their quater back :)
I don't return my cart there either. It is worth a quarter to me, and then I feel less guilty because someone is getting that quarter to return it for me.

Just another note....I don't leave my children unattended because when my oldest son was 2 years old someone tried to kidnap him right out his carseat while I was putting his stroller in the trunk of my car. So maybe I'm a little paranoid about leaving my kids alone in the car, but I'd rather incur a dent in my car or have people annoyed with me than to have a missing child. To me there are just more important things and I'm not willing to take the chance.

This is not a parenting contest in which the very best, attentive mommies never, ever leave their precious ones even to put their cart away and the very worst, neglient mommies with misplaced priorities abandon their unwanted rugrats to skip merrily over to the cart corral!

You can care for your children and return the carts! You can! Many ways have been listed here.

This is not a parenting contest in which the very best, attentive mommies never, ever leave their precious ones even to put their cart away and the very worst, neglient mommies with misplaced priorities abandon their unwanted rugrats to skip merrily over to the cart corral!

You can care for your children and return the carts! You can! Many ways have been listed here.

And most of us do! But no matter how infrequently we do not for any reason whatsoever, we're apparently still irresponsible, selfish, dangerous, inconsiderate, rude, and careless about other children and old people. (Did I miss any adjectives?)

And most of us do! But no matter how infrequently we do not for any reason whatsoever, we're apparently still irresponsible, selfish, dangerous, inconsiderate, rude, and careless about other children and old people. (Did I miss any adjectives?)

The action can be described w/all those words, not the person who does it, unless they want to be described like that.

Oh, next week they'll have an email where you can report people who don't return their carts. Radicals.

I rarely return my cart when I have my kids with me. I'll try and park near a return but can't always. I have a huge car and don't always get to pick my spot. When I unload my groceries into my car, the kids are already in their car seats, and the car is running - I do not need my kids running around the parking lot. If it's 112 outside, I can only imagine how hot it is inside - so the car is running and I do not leave it.

Also some of us don't have these big fancy grocery stores that offer all kinds of services. What about the people that have to grocery shop in not so great areas, areas of high crime?

I find it baffling that of all the things going on in the world today, and all the ways that people find to be selfish and disrespectful to each other, that this would be on anyone's radar. :confused: I mean, seriously. But then, I don't go looking for things to be bothered about. To each their own, I suppose.

Peace out. :coolgleamA:

I agree, it always baffles me to read threads like this.

Also some of us don't have these big fancy grocery stores that offer all kinds of services. What about the people that have to grocery shop in not so great areas, areas of high crime?

Off the top of my head? If it is too dangerous to return a cart, wouldn't it be too dangerous to walk into the store?

I wasn't making it a contest. You feel the way you feel and I feel the way I feel. I was just giving my opinion and my reasons for my opinion. If you can't accept that...I'm very sorry. I'm not asking you to agree with me.

You obviously feel very passionately about returning grocery carts so I'll just slap a rude and irresponsible label on my back and go on my merry way.

It is dangerous & inconsiderate to leave carts unattended.

A strong wind coming off Lake Erie has been known to knock over adults. Imagine what it can do with a parking lot full of carts! Carts blowing! Cars swerving! The elderly getting knocked down like bowling pins!

What you're basically saying is that your children are more important than public safety & that you can't or won't figure out a way to return a cart & keep your kids safe. Really?

Can't we all just get our carts in the corral?

It's for the children!

:001_huh:

Sadly I see you are serious. Stores have cart people to retrieve carts. I would gather for the most part most people return their cart when they can. Is it possible you are letting something very insignificant get to you today?

I wasn't making it a contest. You feel the way you feel and I feel the way I feel. I was just giving my opinion and my reasons for my opinion. If you can't accept that...I'm very sorry. I'm not asking you to agree with me.

You obviously feel very passionately about returning grocery carts so I'll just slap a rude and irresponsible label on my back and go on my merry way.

I actually do not think you are rude & irresponsible. I actually have been saying prayers for you b/c it must have been terrifying to try to have someone try to take your little boy.

And it is not grocery carts. It is the little acts of kindness that I am concerned about. It seems like this world is losing them, bit by bit.

And it baffles me that people have lists of excuses about why they deliberately do a rude act & defend themselves.

Maybe there is someone who read this thread & changed her mind about returning the grocery cart. Maybe there is someone who, the next time she sees a mom with many kids unloading groceries, offers to return the mom's cart. Maybe this thread will lead to one of the thousand points of light.

:001_huh:

Sadly I see you are serious. Stores have cart people to retrieve carts. I would gather for the most part most people return their cart when they can. Is it possible you are letting something very insignificant get to you today?

Blowing carts can be dangerous, and some people REALLY like their cars.

Stores also provide cart corrals for their courtesy clerks to retrieve them from. It can be dangerous for them to have to gather them all up, avoiding speeding cars, in all types of weather, and often at night. They don't get paid enough for that, and more often than not it's a kid doing the job.

Oh, next week they'll have an email where you can report people who don't return their carts. Radicals.

I rarely return my cart when I have my kids with me. I'll try and park near a return but can't always. I have a huge car and don't always get to pick my spot. When I unload my groceries into my car, the kids are already in their car seats, and the car is running - I do not need my kids running around the parking lot. If it's 112 outside, I can only imagine how hot it is inside - so the car is running and I do not leave it.

Ditto. I'm not leaving my kids in my car alone for any reason. I can't lock them in the car because I have no 2nd key. Since I drive a 12 year old payment free vehicle, it doesn't have the unlocker, so even if I did have a 2nd key, I wouldn't lock them in it because I'd be worried about locking myself out. I don't care who thinks I'm irresponsible.

I do shop at Aldi's, and I don't return my cart there either! I always offer it to someone who is walking towards the store. They are happy to not pay for a cart and I'm happy to pay 25 cents to not walk back to the store (although, more often than not they will hand me the quarter). It's a win-win situation.

Melissa

So I should add "and people who are creative" ;). Good for you! End result is the same.:001_smile: I have done this as well (though now my daughter is old enough, she loves to get to keep the quarter for returning the cart).

Frankly, if one knows that one will not be able to do their shopping in such a way as to both keep one's children safe while with one *and* be respectful of the larger population, I would suggest that one might want to look at the possibility of other ways/times to do one's shopping. It has been extremely rare that I had a "shopping emergency" where I could not under any circumstances wait a bit. It has happened, but certainly not every grocery trip.

There were many times when the weather was inclement and I didn't want to take my daughter out that I waited until my husband got home and shopped late at night, for instance (did the same during the period where she typically lost her mind in a grocery store:)). I also often parked way out of the way in order to be near a cart return if she was with me. Not as convenient, perhaps, but struck a balance. A friend of mine with four children uses the "express shopping" option at a couple of stores where she orders online and drives through to pick them up.

BTW, the woman I saw who stuck the cart in the handicapped space was by herself, so it was not a case of her being concerned for her children.

Well I have to say that I do agree that random acts of kindness have truly diminished in today's age. I never do anything to be rude on purpose. I really don't think you can judge someone from a post about grocery carts, but that's just my opinion.

I think I will bow out of this discussion now. I really don't see it going anywhere positive.

I always return the cart...in spite of the inconvenience to me...because I think it is being considerate of other drivers. Nothing is more aggravating than not being able to get into a parking space because of an abandoned cart, or having your car dinged by carts blowing around.

And in the interest of, well, self-interest, lol...I know that while most of the folks who leave carts in the lot to ding up cars DON'T get ID'd and have to pay the price...I would. It's just how it goes for me. :001_smile:

Obviously, in an emergency, I am not going to worry about a cart. But for the rest of the time, I will return the cart...I almost always park within 2-3 parking spaces of a cart corral when the kids are with me, even if that means I am parking further from the store door. It makes it easier to return the carts.

Me, too. It's not like I haven't EVER left a cart in the lot, before, but for the most part, I just consider it the thing to do. I usually park right by (or two to three spaces away from) the corral, and I'm not concerned about kids being in a car for 10 seconds or so.

As far as employing people to gather carts...I don't know that any store has someone whose sole job is monitoring the parking lot. Most places I know have signs asking folks to put carts in the corral, and then an employee gathers strays when they go to the corrals to bring in the rest.

Honestly, though, I don't put a lot of importance on my vehicle, lol, so I'm not THAT worked up about stuff hitting it. Two or three cart dings can't even begin to match the damage that happens in my own driveway. ;)

If I had a decent car, though...I might be a little more passionate, LOL!

Really, selfishness is one of the major reasons for many of the problems in this world.

Goodness & kindness & selflessness start with the small acts.

Absolutely.

"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies." -- Mother Teresa of Calcutta

So, how do you get them into the store in the first place? I'm just curious. I really don't see the difference in walking them into the store without a cart vs walking them from the store without a cart?

I'm really not trying to debate here....I just thought everybody did it the way I do it.

The 11 or 8yo goes to the corral and gets a cart for me. I load the baby and 3yo in the cart and the 5 and 6yo hold onto the cart while we walk in.

I get the 11 or 8yo to return the cart as well, so not an issue here. I just answered to say, no, everyone doesn't go it the way you do.:D

I get a cart no matter what (even if I am only getting 2 things) because it is safest for my dc.

Are we really arguing about shopping carts? For real?

:lol::lol::lol:

Not only that, but something new has been added to the "good, responsible people do these things" list!:tongue_smilie: Also on that list are never leave their dc alone, don't scream during delivery, and make sure that their dc have the most rigorous homeschool day possible.;)

Edited by Renee in FL

The only time I have not returned the cart was when I had 3 kids in carriers (mine and two fosters, long story of how I ended up with that many littles) and I had to go get formula while dh was out of town. Thankfully a nice lady came and got it to take inside as I was closing the doors of my van. I usually try to park close to a cart return so I can buckle the kids in and return the cart easily.

As far as employing people to gather carts...I don't know that any store has someone whose sole job is monitoring the parking lot.

I don't know if it works the same for all stores but I used to work as a bagger at a grocery store while I was in high school.

Each bagger was assigned an hour to monitor the parking lot and gather carts. We all hated it on Saturdays because there were always a zillion carts from one end of the lot to the other!

So, I guess we can just wait longer to have our groceries bagged since the bagger will have to be outside gathering all of the errant carts.;)

I return my cart about 98% of the time.

Well, my children are PART of that public, and yes, their safety is my paramount concern, not the dings in people's car doors. I have the rest of my life to return carts to the corral and volunteer to take the carts of other mamas with little children. When I'm alone or another adult is with me, I always return the cart, even in the rain. However, I will not cross a busy, crowded parking lot repeatedly with two little kids -- two antsy, exhausted, overstimulated little kids -- just to return the cart to the corral, and I will not leave them unattended in the car to do it unless I'm parked only a few feet from it. I too am concerned with small kindnesses and graces, and that includes a bit of grace for moms concerned about keeping their kids safe. I'll gladly take a ding on my own car door or drive around to the next aisle when I find a cart in a space for that reason.

Yes, the chances of something happening to kids in a parking lot are small, but still not worth taking. What I'm demonstrating for my kids is not irresponsibility, it's the importance I place on their safety over a stranger's convenience. We don't live near Lake Erie, and I have never once, in my entire 35 years, seen a cart blowing across a parking lot.

There is no cart corral near the handicapped space. Several times I could not park because there were 4 carts in the space blocking me from parking.

Oh, I've never had to park in a handicapped space and this drives me BONKERS! Especially because at all the stores around here, there's plenty of space in between cars to stick a cart easily. If you're not going to return it, fine, but why does it have to go in the middle of the space???

Actually, I believe two ways have been listed: leave them in the car unattended or drag them across the parking lot with you. Neither option works for me. I can't tell you how many times I've had cars nearly plow into me, a full-grown (and then some!) adult, because they're in such a hurry to get out of their space or get around to the next aisle where someone is leaving. The less time my kids spend in a parking lot, the better. If I didn't have to, I wouldn't bring them at all, but such is the life of a homeschooler. Sorry!

Not only that, but something new has been added to the "good, responsible people do these things" list!:tongue_smilie: Also on that list are never leave their dc alone, don't scream during delivery, and make sure that their dc have the most rigorous homeschool day possible.;)

:lol:

Well I have to say that I do agree that random acts of kindness have truly diminished in today's age. I never do anything to be rude on purpose.

Okay. This struck a memory in me. On the way into Wal-mart a couple of months ago, dh and I were walking across the main drive area between the parking lot and the store. There was a woman in one of the store scooters, driving across the parking lot towards the store. Her scooter ran out of juice right in the middle of the drive. She got up, walked on in the store, sat in another scooter and started shopping. She told no store manager, no one about the dead scooter out there holding up traffic. Another man wound up going and telling someone. We were just blown away by the rudeness of this woman and how she seemed to just expect no inconvenience for herself in spite of the inconvenience she was causing others.

I put up my carts, but really...I think it's a ridiculous thing to have a board argument over. :001_huh:

:lol:Is that the longest you can make that list? I've seen way more rules around here than those. ;)