Menu

Funny conversation overheard at Staples

My ds works for Staples (and he gets NO employee discount!:glare:) and overheard this conversation between a 12ish year old girl and her 10ish year old brother. This conversation took place as DS was ringing them up:

Boy: They should call back to school Black Friday because I bet stores make more money then instead of the real Black Friday.

Girl: Nuh uh. They can't change Black Friday!

Boy: Yes they can. Why not?

Girl: BeCAUSE! It's the day Jesus was BORN! You just can't CHANGE that! It's on his birth certificate with the Nazareth records!

:lol::lol::lol:

Ds said he had to really control himself and not laugh out loud. Obviously, the girl confused Black Friday with Good Friday, which is an understandable mistake, but the birth certificate thing really cracked DS up. (on a side note, DS said their total for just backpacks and school supplies was over $400! :blink: Is that normal?)

If they were buying all their school supplies there, unfortunately so. When my kids were in ps, we spent a bundle every summer on things like hand sanitizer, paper towels, ziplock bags, baby wipes, dry erase markers, hand soap, and tissues in addition to the backpacks, lunchboxes, crayons and thing like that.

That sounds a little on the high side but not impossible. I was planning on starting a thread on this very subject this morning.

I asked DS if they bought electronics or a printer or something and he said no, it was just supplies: pens, paper, binders, notebooks, backpacks. He said the backpacks were about $70 each.

We paid over $400 for school supplies for 2 kids last year, buying from the school's requirements list.

I was totally shocked.

Then they wanted DS1 to buy a graphing calculator which cost over $100. I told them he could jolly well use graph paper and a pencil like I did before those things were invented.

He said the backpacks were about $70 each.

Wow! And here I thought I was being indulgent buying a rolling backpack for $20 for one of my kids after she begged for it for almost 6 months, lol. It was her one and only birthday present from us and she was in seventh heaven.

Next time I'm in Staples I'll have to go see what makes a backpack worth $70.

As for the comments made, even Good Friday doesn't fit her conversation, because that's the day Jesus died not that He died, so no birth certificate issue there. This kid apparently needs to spend a little more time in Sunday School, lol. Maybe that $70 backpack is distracting her from her studies? :tongue_smilie:

If they were buying all their school supplies there, unfortunately so. When my kids were in ps, we spent a bundle every summer on things like hand sanitizer, paper towels, ziplock bags, baby wipes, dry erase markers, hand soap, and tissues in addition to the backpacks, lunchboxes, crayons and thing like that.

Ack! My son's school supplies cost me $20 tops...including the backpack!

This year I bought a little here, a little there... about $30.00 before school started.... spent another $45.00 on a book bag for dd (the others didn't need a new one).

Then I went to get more supplies listed from the teachers... 2 high school students, 1 middle school student and 1 elementary student (I homeschool 3 others).

Spent another $20.00 at target. Spent another $60.00 at another store. Spent another $60.00 at another store...

Each store had "good prices". I should have saved the receipts to see what cost so much.

At the high school, I spent $85.00 (p.e. clothes, locker lock, class fee)

For 4 students school supplies, I spent $300.00.

We bought: pencils, pens, colored pencils (a pack per person), notebook paper, spiral bound notebooks, glue sticks, pencil box, erasers, highlighters, sharpies (I hate getting these... one of my young boys will write with them on things!), binders, 2 geometry kits, smaller rulers...

Having to supply the classroom with all this stuff really burns me up. I flat out refuse to buy half of it. One week into the year we get a follow up supply list that makes up for all the stuff that people did not bring in, then we get another one in November, another in February and a last one in April. :glare:

I buy their school supplies, pens, paper, etc. I do not stock the classroom.

if parents don't supply things like hand sanitizer, kleenex, etc. it means the teacher buys it. and that's on top of all the classroom items that they're not reimbursed for (like the posters on the wall, the alphabet strip above the chalkboard, incentive charts). plus the teacher has to have extra supplies like pencils and paper on hand for those students who never seem to have any of their own. as a teacher (and single mother), i was easily laying out at least $300 of my own money getting the classroom ready for the first day of school. then continually buying supplies during the year to have enough on hand.

I spent about $300 on two middle schoolers last week. They each got a new backpack, but they were only $12 or $13 each. It would have been more but we already had some of the supplies (scissors, protractors, etc.).

What burns me up is that they don't use half the stuff we buy. And I don't really understand why middle schoolers need scissors, glue and markers.

I like going there but it is never cheap so I am not surprised by $400. NOW, I don't feel so bad at oogling the backpacks at Lands End and Pottery Barn. I thought 59.99 for back packs outrageous but I guess it is the norm.

I was about to smirk on how good it was to homeschool but then I remembered how much I fork out for books and on-line courses. :blushing:

if parents don't supply things like hand sanitizer, kleenex, etc. it means the teacher buys it. and that's on top of all the classroom items that they're not reimbursed for (like the posters on the wall, the alphabet strip above the chalkboard, incentive charts). plus the teacher has to have extra supplies like pencils and paper on hand for those students who never seem to have any of their own. as a teacher (and single mother), i was easily laying out at least $300 of my own money getting the classroom ready for the first day of school. then continually buying supplies during the year to have enough on hand.

No, *some* teachers buy it. *Some* school districts try to make teachers feel obligated to buy it, but they. are. not. And I think it's VERY important that they don't buy the stuff, because when they do, they reinforce the school district's idea that they WILL.

I was a teacher, too. When I got *informed* that I was supposed to keep my classroom stocked w/ kleenex for the TAKS test, I went down to the bathroom & took a BIG roll of tp & plunked it on the front table.

Now...I'm not saying I was POPULAR...:lol: Just that teachers don't have to buy supplies. If the taxpayers want tissue in the classroom (as opposed to kids bringing their own), they can figure out a way to do it, *evenly,* not out of my paycheck only.

No, *some* teachers buy it. *Some* school districts try to make teachers feel obligated to buy it, but they. are. not. And I think it's VERY important that they don't buy the stuff, because when they do, they reinforce the school district's idea that they WILL.

I was a teacher, too. When I got *informed* that I was supposed to keep my classroom stocked w/ kleenex for the TAKS test, I went down to the bathroom & took a BIG roll of tp & plunked it on the front table.

Now...I'm not saying I was POPULAR...:lol: Just that teachers don't have to buy supplies. If the taxpayers want tissue in the classroom (as opposed to kids bringing their own), they can figure out a way to do it, *evenly,* not out of my paycheck only.

Wouldn't it be nice if schools were actually, I mean REALLY, community run again? Make the parents who send their kids to a school involved in one way or another. Hmmm, might improve parenting and community relationships....yeah, that's wishing for a lot, I know :glare:

:iagree: I so agree. Teachers should not supply the classroom with stuff. If parents can't at least make sure their child has a pencil and pad of paper, then those parents need a wake up call. Enabling them by providing for their child is not the way to go.

My ds works for Staples (and he gets NO employee discount!:glare:) and overheard this conversation between a 12ish year old girl and her 10ish year old brother. This conversation took place as DS was ringing them up:

Boy: They should call back to school Black Friday because I bet stores make more money then instead of the real Black Friday.

Girl: Nuh uh. They can't change Black Friday!

Boy: Yes they can. Why not?

Girl: BeCAUSE! It's the day Jesus was BORN! You just can't CHANGE that! It's on his birth certificate with the Nazareth records!

:lol::lol::lol:

Ds said he had to really control himself and not laugh out loud. Obviously, the girl confused Black Friday with Good Friday, which is an understandable mistake, but the birth certificate thing really cracked DS up. (on a side note, DS said their total for just backpacks and school supplies was over $400! :blink: Is that normal?)

:lol::lol::lol: and sadly, normal....

As someone who substituted in PS for the last 2 years, I can tell you that a lot of it goes to waste. I saw cabinets full of supplies at the end of the year. I wanted to ask if we got back the stuff they didn't use. I told ds to bring home anything they would let him that he thought we might be able to use for hs this year. He brought home extra folders, binders and a couple of other things. Every little bit helps!

I know of one family where the teacher insisted that they NOT write the students' names on the items. And the teacher refused to a) give back supplies at the end of the year (who would know whose is whose, it's now common property...oh, that was supposed to be a "lesson" to the children, having all things put in common property and everyone pulls out equal regardless who put in more or less) or b) say what happens to the left overs at the end of the year.

My 2nd grader's list is a bit small this time. Last year we had to get 3 boxes of Kleenex versus one this year. Last year it was markers, crayons & color pencils. This time it is color pencils /crayons. Their list includes 48 pencils per child. I think it is too much. My kids can manage with 2 penils per month. Offcourse I mend the pencils. This time I got epensive pencils (tri-writes), so I am going to put their names on them.

I do teach my kids to be frugal with supplies especially Kleenex. Only 1 sheet per use. Also I keep a small napkin in their backpack for emegencies.

Well backpacks & lunch bags are expensive compared to other supplies. I shopped early & bought only at sales -25$ backpackpack + lunchbag & 70$ for supplies. Aimed at those 1c & 25c sales.

Wouldn't it be nice if schools were actually, I mean REALLY, community run again? Make the parents who send their kids to a school involved in one way or another. Hmmm, might improve parenting and community relationships....yeah, that's wishing for a lot, I know :glare:

Is it possible that is the case in my community? We have no fees, no excessive supply lists or requirements. Even student parking is only $5 per year, as are combination locks for the lockers (lockers are optional) I have heard of teacher's paying for certain supplies not deemed "necessary" for instruction like "rugs, beanbag chairs and pillows for a reading circle....but that doesn't mean that it doesn't cross over into the tissue dept. I will make sure dd carries her own from now on so as to not be a party in that.

:001_unsure:

Geo

Is it possible that is the case in my community? We have no fees, no excessive supply lists or requirements. Even student parking is only $5 per year, as are combination locks for the lockers (lockers are optional) I have heard of teacher's paying for certain supplies not deemed "necessary" for instruction like "rugs, beanbag chairs and pillows for a reading circle....but that doesn't mean that it doesn't cross over into the tissue dept. I will make sure dd carries her own from now on so as to not be a party in that.

:001_unsure:

Geo

Teachers are always going to buy stuff for their classrooms & probably their kids, too. Beanbags? Books? Rugs? Sure. For some, tissue. I think the problem is when admin says you HAVE to. And I think it's the SAME problem when teachers then tell parents *they* HAVE to.

Boy, it's a good thing we hs, because a supply list problem is not enough reason in itself to embark on such an endeavor, but I'm a real boat-rocker when it comes to stuff like this. I don't like being confrontational, so I. just. dig. in. my. heels.

I usually feel like a goat by the end of such a non-confrontation, though, because my luck, some sweet someone comes along to supply my kids w/ crayons, etc. out of genuine concern, & so then I have to explain that it's the principle, &, well, it never goes over well.

I'd end up as the room mother, baking cupcakes for everybody every other Friday to try to make up for it & then be madder than ever. :lol:

And I felt guilty for buying ll bean and land's end backpacks. At least they'll last for several years. I told the kids (5 & 8 yrs) that they will use them until they start high school. Heck, with homeschooling they may use them 'til they start college :D Oh, and I splurged and got them matching lunch bags (for their co-op days, that we have now withdrawn from)

Well, if that's how much supplies cost, then I'm saving money homeschooling.

My sister is a teacher and spends a fourtune on necessities for her class. She is a SCIENCE teacher. Repeat- A SCIENCE teacher. How can a science teacher not have supplies??????

On one of her shopping trips, I asked her what the school supplied for experiments. She said they have a supply closet in which there are half a dozen beakers and some ph paper. THAT"S IT!! She has to buy everything for her experiments.

That's how it was when I took chemistry. We never had distilled water; we used tap water (in our case, it alternated between yellow and orange in color -- nice, eh?). We had to buy some chemicals for use in our experiments, and we had to buy the text ourselves.

:iagree: I so agree. Teachers should not supply the classroom with stuff. If parents can't at least make sure their child has a pencil and pad of paper, then those parents need a wake up call. Enabling them by providing for their child is not the way to go.

Do I agree in theory? Yes.

Could I live with myself and abide by such a non-enabling path when they were real children in my presence needing *someone* to care about them regardless of their parents' obvious and grievous (and even heinous) neglect and downright abuse?

No.

Still contemplating the unfairness of life and how that relates to God's sovereignty (another thread), and spending the day praying for all the teachers who will face such realities in the coming weeks~