Menu

comparing chronological histories

dcurry

What do you currently use for teaching history?  

1. 1. What do you currently use for teaching history?

• Story of the World
    • Mystery of History
    • Veritas Press
    • My Father's World
    • Beautiful Feet
    • Sonlight
    • Traditional Text (ABeka, Bob Jones, etc)
    • Other

Hi,

I am looking for input from others who have used the following curriculums specifically, but also if you have another chronological history curriculum starting with ancient history that 1) you used and really really enjoyed & would recommend and 2) you think it would fit our family.

Veritas Press

Mystery of History

My Father's World (?)

Beautiful Feet ancient (what grade level?)

Sonlight ancient (what grade level?)

None of our family (including myself) has EVER taken ancient history, and I all but failed any history class I ever took in school. It was my worst subject, I am not good at it, I found it boring and could not relate to it at all. Since homeschooling, I have enjoyed history and am learning it along with my children. We've used Beautiful Feet Early American History (years ago), and Sonlight Core 5 (past 2 years). We loved them both. I am looking for something I can use with all of my kids (maybe not exactly) so I can keep them on the same (approximate) timeline. I also think I (and my kids) would be able to grasp history a little better if it 1) started at the beginning and 2) were tied in with Biblical history. My children:

-8th/9th grade boy who will be taking GBT I (Great Books Tutorial - reading Homer, Odyssey & Illiad, learning about ancient Greece & Rome, etc).

-7th grade girl who is a good reader, does well in school, scored high on her scholastic achievement tests EXCEPT for history which she only got 3/10 correct, and her scores (though above average still) have been getting lower every year since 1st grade. (And I know it's not all about the scores. :-))

-3rd grade boy who is gifted in some areas and challenged in others. He needs activity and challenge. He needs to be included, and no reading material is too hard for him (though it may be too boring for him to *want* to read it). He has just read the first 2 books in the Wayne Thomas Batson series for fun this summer (The Door Within trilogy) to give an idea of his reading level. His science skills and memory are great (except for math facts). His fine motor skills are VERY poor, and writing is difficult for him. He's had not much formal schooling (except for a page of ABeka math and ABeka Kindergarten writing per day that he's done on his own w/o much supervision from me) because he's so far ahead and I was working with other kids who I thought needed it more.

- 1st grade boy who wants to *do* something. He is forever trying to keep up with his older brother, and half the time succeeds. His reading skills are also good, but he is reading at about a 3rd grade level, not a high school or adult level like his brother. He's quite active, but can sit for periods of time.

- 4 yo. boy who wants to be included, but does not yet know all of his letters and can count only sometimes to 10. He is quiet & clingy and will sit & listen well. He doesn't like to get his hands messy. He can entertain himself all morning, but I don't think that's good for him and would like to include him somehow, even if he just sits on my lap.

Any thoughts on curriculum (chronological history) or what would be good for our family (for history)?

Thanks!

You could try MOH with the olders, and SOTW with the two youngest (not the 4yo--I don't think he should have a history curriculum, but he could help with projects). Definitely get the Activity Guide (AG) for SOTW. Have the olders keep a timeline with MOH.

If you go to Paula's Archives dot org, you will see a list of resources for SOTW--you can combine MOH and SOTW with this list. YOu could also have the oldest pick something else (maybe SWB's Ancient History book she's just come out with for adults ) and do MOH with an encyclopedia (outline the entries) for the middle kids and without the encyclopedia with the youngers. Again, have the middle kids (logic stage) keep a timeline. Have everyone notebook, and assign some of the MOH projects/research to the older kids. THey could even help with the younger kids' projects. I'd still get the SOTW AG for the youngers--it's just a wonderful resource. Another fun resource is Old Testament Days, for the younger kids.

We use SOTW for the younger children and then the KFHE for the older. After 8th grade we read great books and add in a few geography books and history reminder courses (as I call them) from Abeka, but still get the basis of History from the books we read.

I voted other because we use TOG. We use SOTW as a spine the first time through.

This is our first year using Tapestry of Grace. I'm using SOTW with DS as a spine since this is his first time through the history rotation. We love TOG! I used Sonlight for 3 years with DD (Cores 2,3 and 4). They were good years, don't get me wrong, but TOG is waaay better for our family. I like being able to combine the kids and the history is deeper. Sonlight seemed light in comparison. DH is sold on TOG, he never wants me to go back to SL again....I'm still tempted by Core 5. We'll see. :001_smile:

I've used MOH, Veritas Press and Sonlight. This year, we're using Beautiful Feet and I'm very excited about it.

MOH - I tried it with my 1st grader and she was too young. I would use it with someone in 3rd or 4th grade at least. She is VERY thorough and jumps all over the globe to get all of ancient history in. That was really confusing to my dd.

Veritas Press - I switched to VP for 2nd grade and by Christmas we were burnt out. We had really only covered Bible and China in MOH (my choice because she was so confused studying several cultures at once), but we had spent an entire semester on Ancient Egypt! Not my dd's cup of tea. VP moves very slowly through history. It takes you 6 years to get through it. It has great books, but I used it before the scholars program so I had to pick everything out on my own. If you use this, purchase the scholars program to help you out.

Sonlight - Last year, we started with Ambleside Online and ended with Sonlight Core 2. Ambleside also moves slowly (6 years also I believe). If you have a child that loves to go deep into history, VP or AO are great! If you have a child that wants to keep moving and learn about other things, Sonlight or BF might be right for you. I can't speak on TOG because I've never used it. Sonlight was great, but I borrowed it from a friend and she loaned me all the books. You could do Core 1 with your 1st and 3rd grader and I believe it's core 5 or 6 with your older 2? Ask over on their boards. They are very helpful when it comes to picking out core.

Beautiful Feet - I could not afford Core 3 this year so I opted for Beautiful Feet. It is inexpensive and thorough. We are excited about the books and excited to get started. My younger dd in 1st will not be included unless I'm reading something aloud. I decided to split my two and do CLP with my youngest. I really like their history text. It starts with Bible history and moves on into the Protestant Reformation and a touch of American History. In years past, I've stressed about, "If I do this this year, what will I do next year?!" NO MORE! :001_smile: I am doing what is right for my children this year and meeting them where they are at.

HTH!

Blessings!

Dorinda

Thanks so much for all the replies! I was surprised at how many answered the poll, and surprised at the results as well. I guess I should have put Tapestry of Grace on, but I'd not realized it was chronological and also for some reason thought it was geared towards girls. Is it (geared towards girls)?

I do not necessarily follow the classical teaching methods, but like some of the ideas. I am still tweaking our homeschool ideas & styles to fit our family. I had trouble with some of the abbreviations that were mentioned. Can someone clarify about these:

KFHE

MFW

I have decided against Story of the World for several reasons. One more question for all of you who have used Sonlight & Beautiful Feet:

Using these curriculums, can you really cover all of the periods of history (in order chronologically)? What would be the order and how many years would it take?

I'm leaning towards Mystery of History.

Coffeefreak - I loved your descriptions of the different curriculums that you had used and why you liked/didn't like them. That was really helpful.

I will look up Ambleside Online because I've never heard of them. I also plan to look up Streams of Civilization (never heard of it), and TOG.

In someone's signature, I noticed their 4 year old plays with light bright. I LOVE that idea, and will use that for my 4 year old (which he would love) while I am trying to work with the others.

Thanks for all who answered the poll! (Anyone know if I can add Tapestry of Grace and let people change their answer from "other" to TOG?)

I use the Core Knowledge Sequence(CK). I use SOTW (younger kids) along with the Pearson Learning inc. History Texts (upper grammar) for the CK sequence along with the Instructor Guides which break down activities, worksheets, essay topics, ect for each topic in the history book.

Everyone follows the rotation of CK just using age approp. texts. CK sequence allows me to cover the material more than once in grammar years; fewer topics a year allowing more depth; American and world history every year; secular so I can add my own religious studies without having to edit; middle school history uses the concepts of Ideas to rotate back through history making the perspective feel fresh; modern history and problems are addressed including immigration, civil rights, space, ect.

For planning, scheduling and background knowledge enabling me answer the "whys" I use the Teacher's Handbook (400pgs.) . Each grade has more activities, blackline masters, vocab, cross curr connections, standards, objectives, ect. The Handbook is also aligned with the Pearson Hx. text as well as that grades topics in poetry, literature, science, art, and music. All coordinated to the history and lit topics for the year. All fleshed out with the same stuff as history allowing a teacher to teach the material even if their own background with it is weak. It was written for public school teachers who where bringing this classical method to their class but were not taught this way themselves and lacked the background from their teacher training courses. Very much like TOG in the support for parents just one year at a time. Easy peasy :)

I just put this out as lots of people think Core Knowledge is just the "What Your___ grader Needs to Know" and dont really know what a fleshed out program has become over the years. Like many others I find that over time the older kids need a new presentation of the "old" material and the Pearson texts are really really good. Even though mine are only 8 they heard the material from SOTW before as they tagged along with older cousins so we are moving to the Pearson texts for 4th grade in Feb.

SOTW and the activity guide are my choice every time for the first rotation. I used them for k-3 while doing CK sequence of topics as the CK materials for that age are not as good.

The materials are expensive new but really good prices used.

Alicia in New Zealand

Thanks for the abbreviations. I should have known My Father's World since I had that as one of my choices - I'd just never seen it abbreviated. I've heard Kingfisher's History Encyclopedia is a great resource regardless of the curriculum you choose. I may invest in that.

Thanks all! I love hearing other's choices and comments - it really helps with my decisions.

We have used My Father's World for 2 years now (ECC & now Creation to the Greeks) and we love it! I am learning so much along with my children (I too was not interested in history when I was in school, but am finding it very interesting now). The Book Basket really adds to the learning ability for all of my kids. We learn together doing the readings and assignments, but they also learn soooooo much on their own when they are aloud to choose a book of interest to them from the book basket. I hope you find something that works well for your family.:001_smile:

We're using a combination of Sonlight, Veritas Press, and Mystery of History. So far in MOH (we're in Vol 1, at Greece), it's not over my newly 7yo's head.

If you use either sonlight (we're doing core 1) or Veritas, you'll have to tweak it (speed it up for VP and supplement for sonlight) to get on track for a 4 year cycle. If you don't care about the 4 yr cycle, that's not necessary.

Kristin

I've used most of the programs you mention for at least a short while. Here's why I've stayed with MFW these past years (starting year 6).

Story of the World - N/A, it's already included in MFW

Mystery of History - bought but didn't use. we don't prefer summaries of Bible instead of Bible itself. a little too detail-oriented in the review for my taste (memorizing dates & such).

Veritas Press - had one set of cards & didn't know how to use them.

My Father's World - love it. Bible is front & center, starts at the beginning, doesn't jump around, and gives two complete years to study Old Testament times & the time of Jesus separately. Is very conducive to doing your own thing, but is 100% planned if my family needs to do *no* planning for a while.

Beautiful Feet - liked ancients because there isn't as much reading available. realized later it didn't start with creation, so the whole point of history seemed to be a little lost. By Rome, the reading was too much & not enough gleaned from it by my child.

Sonlight - used American History with older dd but skipped all the books that had nothing to do with history & then basically many of the history books, ending up just using the spine (Hakim), schedule & questions. questions were basically just worksheet type stuff, but it was something. I felt the need to add the Oxford quizzes & some activities with more depth. the student notes were interesting but way more than my child needed & zeroed in on a very few points over hundreds of pages. I never figured out the mapping, even after discussing extensively on their message boards.

Traditional Text (ABeka, Bob Jones, etc.) - didn't really give them a chance, since learning for my kids seemed to be worksheet-and-forget for the most part. motel sales are very shiny & pretty :)

Other - Diana Waring has cool connections but I never knew when to quit. Greenleaf guides, I didn't know enough to teach with; loved their Old Testament. The Teaching Company covered too few topics to be complete. Konos elementary jumps around too much for me, and their high school was unfinished & led me to do too much, although it was good stuff. Lessons from History was good stuff but not quite enough info for me, since I didn't know much history at all before I started homeschooling. Probably more :tongue_smilie:

Wow. Thanks for all this info. Thank you to the person who mentioned that the ones voting for My Father's World also have to vote for SOTW too. That is very helpful information.

Did most people who voted for SOTW vote for something else too?

My sister has mentioned My Father's World - I had never heard of it before this year. I'll look at that, too. I thought it was just for younger kids, though. (Like SOTW).

Julie in MN - I love how you mentioned your experience with each of the curriculums. That is most helpful to me.

I am still heavily leaning towards Mystery of History for several reasons, a big one being that I have it already. :-) So if it's a good one, even if there are other good ones, I'll probably stick with it.

We've finished SOTW4 this year I'm not sure if we'd start all over w/ ds1 and first time w/ ds2. Ds1 kind of like it but not much of activities, and history is not his thing. I'm attracted to TOG but seems $$$. So maybe stick w/ SOTW and WTM suggestion, and try to do more reading. SOTW4's reading list seems too advanced for even a good 4th grader that I wasn't impressed.

I'm loving The Picturesque Tale of Progress by Olive Miller.

I told my dh the other day that if I had to give up all my history books except for one set, that Picturesque Tale of Progress is the one set I would keep.

I use it as our history read-aloud. Glad to know someone uses it too.

I voted Other and SOTW, because we use TOG and use SOTW as a spine (it's scheduled in TOG as an alternate resource)...we're also throwing Ambleside into the mix this year b/c we can't get enough history here! :tongue_smilie::001_rolleyes:

Thanks Herbalgirl, it's nice to know that about TOG.

I'll have to look at Picturesque Tale of Progress now. But I'm still leaning towards Mystery of History because it's all so overwhelming - all the good choices. I'll probably look at other curriculums and add stuff to supplement (like readers) at my kids levels. (That's something I've never done - I usually like it all layed out).

I'm excited about history this year. I always considered it as a side class that you could take or leave, and even skip some years. Now I am tending to use it for our core studies. Funny how things change over the years. :001_smile:

• 3 months later...

Very curious to read your compare/contrast of BF ancients and History Odyssey. I'm trying to decide which one I like best.

Next year, I'll have kids in grades 2,6, and 7. If I use My Father's World for the youngest, I want to know which one (BF or HO) would mesh the best.

Also, just overall, which is more interesting, do-able, effective, etc...

Thanks!

I've used most of the programs you mention for at least a short while. Here's why I've stayed with MFW these past years (starting year 6).

Story of the World - N/A, it's already included in MFW

Mystery of History - bought but didn't use. we don't prefer summaries of Bible instead of Bible itself. a little too detail-oriented in the review for my taste (memorizing dates & such).

Veritas Press - had one set of cards & didn't know how to use them.

My Father's World - love it. Bible is front & center, starts at the beginning, doesn't jump around, and gives two complete years to study Old Testament times & the time of Jesus separately. Is very conducive to doing your own thing, but is 100% planned if my family needs to do *no* planning for a while.

Beautiful Feet - liked ancients because there isn't as much reading available. realized later it didn't start with creation, so the whole point of history seemed to be a little lost. By Rome, the reading was too much & not enough gleaned from it by my child.

Sonlight - used American History with older dd but skipped all the books that had nothing to do with history & then basically many of the history books, ending up just using the spine (Hakim), schedule & questions. questions were basically just worksheet type stuff, but it was something. I felt the need to add the Oxford quizzes & some activities with more depth. the student notes were interesting but way more than my child needed & zeroed in on a very few points over hundreds of pages. I never figured out the mapping, even after discussing extensively on their message boards.

Traditional Text (ABeka, Bob Jones, etc.) - didn't really give them a chance, since learning for my kids seemed to be worksheet-and-forget for the most part. motel sales are very shiny & pretty :)

Other - Diana Waring has cool connections but I never knew when to quit. Greenleaf guides, I didn't know enough to teach with; loved their Old Testament. The Teaching Company covered too few topics to be complete. Konos elementary jumps around too much for me, and their high school was unfinished & led me to do too much, although it was good stuff. Lessons from History was good stuff but not quite enough info for me, since I didn't know much history at all before I started homeschooling. Probably more :tongue_smilie:

Julie,

I'm researching for next year's history. We'll do ancients with kids in grades 2,6, and 7.

If I use MFW with the youngest, I thought I'd use something like History Odyssey ancients or Beautiful Feet ancients or Sonlight with the older ones.

Is it possible, however, to use MFW with all of them? I want to begin the logic stage, and didn't think MFW would be enough.

I wouldn't use SOTW if it wasn't all scheduled out for me. There is a wide range of books and I don't like not knowing ahead of time if it is going to be age-appropriate or not.

My library makes it challenging as well since it doesn't have a lot of the books. It is easier for me and better for DD that we own them.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

We just started MOH with an advanced 4th grader and two very young 3rd graders. I was concerned that I'd lose my twins in the MOH thoroughness, but they are the ones that love it most. We are keeping a timeline and each child helps make cards. One twin doesn't care for the cards all that much, so she builds paper sculptures of something she learned from the lesson. There are activities to keep kids of all ages occupied--not as many as SOTW, but plenty--and some you just add, especially if you have a busy-body who needs blocks or artwork to keep hands active during reading time.

Julie,

I'm researching for next year's history. We'll do ancients with kids in grades 2,6, and 7.

If I use MFW with the youngest, I thought I'd use something like History Odyssey ancients or Beautiful Feet ancients or Sonlight with the older ones.

Is it possible, however, to use MFW with all of them? I want to begin the logic stage, and didn't think MFW would be enough.

Yes, definitely doing them together would make your life easier! I'm using MFW with my 8th grader this year. He's finishing up 1850MOD this first semester, and will do a semester of ECC starting around February. Then on to high school next fall :(

1850MOD is completely full for an 8th grader, especially if you decide to learn a little more about topics using book basket. I always share the extras we add on the "ideas form" over at MFW.

ECC will be completely full for my ds using the supplement for 7th-8th graders. In fact, I'll miss the fun we had with ECC in 3rd grade because we'll be doing reports & geography worksheets & such, instead of reading all the storybooks from different countries & such. But I'm sure it will be awesome anyways, especially since we'll be coming at it with a strong background in world history over the last 4 years.

I also think it's so nice to keep the family learning together as long as you can.

Julie

I am using a chronological list of stand-alone juvenile biographies this year, but that's aside from what you're asking about for your family. My case is different.

When you said you wanted biblical history and had liked Beautiful Feet, and with the age range in your household, my first thought was Greenleaf Press. You could start with Greenleaf Guide to Old Testament. It's a history course. Then do Greenleaf Guide to Ancient Egypt. Both use books that are appropriate for older children, but your little one can benefit from just listening and giving narrations, participating in the discussions on his level. It's scheduled like BF -- just presented as lesson after lesson. It's also a read-aloud then research/discuss course, like BF, only it doesn't have detailed notebook instructions.

I use Sonlight. It's somewhat chronological but not as much as other programs like TOG. It doesn't teach World and U.S. history at the same time. You have a chronological progression through core 1 and core 2 fr younger kids (though it is chronological by civilization) and then you'd have 2 yrs of American history and a year of Easter hemisphere geography, then start the history rotation again with cores 6 and 7 for older kids.

I do think SL is harder to use with multiple ages if you want to keep them together. When I read your decription of what you're looking for, the first thing I thought of was My Father's World.