Menu

What third language will you be teaching your child?

psychgal

What third language have you chosen to teach?  

1. 1. What third language have you chosen to teach?

• Spanish
    • Latin
    • French
    • German
    • American Sign Language
    • Chinese
    • Are you kidding me?
    • Other

This is my biggest bugaboo - I want her to take a modern language (unless she just really takes a shine to ancient Greek), but I have no idea which one.

We'll start it either in 5th or 6th grade. It depends on how we do with Latin this year and how I judge her mind at languages. If I think it's going to be a struggle for her, we'll start earlier and go slower.

We are doing Latin as our first, our second is still up in the air. Greek is my preference and I may require at least a year or two of it for middle school. He's expressed desire to learn multiple languages but we'll probably stick with Spanish, French, or Italian.

We're also going to dabble in a few other languages including Irish. That will go with our genealogy study.

I have great respect for those who are with it enough to teach their children multiple foreign languages. At this point, I'm feeling we'll be lucky to get one in - so I chose the "Are you kidding me" option. :D

This may change in future years, though, since I definitely see the benefits.

I chose "other" because dd is leaning towards Greek right now. But that's subject to change. We'll see what whim strikes her between now and around this time next year (when we'll be settling on something). Latin was my requirement, and we started that last year. The next language is entirely up to her.

Pig Latin will be third. We might even start that one today. And the language of Ab will be fourth. :D

Someday I could see us adding a 5th language, if either of the kiddos have a desire to switch (from Spanish) or add another.

Edited by jplain

The kids have been exposed to Spanish lightly and informally since birth. We'll probably start a more formal program in the next year or 2. The third language that they'll learn is Latin. I'm not sure when we'll start. Hopefully by the time my oldest dd is in 3rd grade but we'll see how things go. I'm looking at Song School Latin, Prima Latina, Latina Christiana, and Lively Latin depending on when we start.

Undecided.

I hope to let my kids choose whatever language they want (besides Latin), but that could get complicated with 3 children at once (#1 will be graduated before #4 starts a 3rd language).

I hope somebody chooses French so I can re-learn, but Spanish can be so much more useful (imo/e). And I still remember a TINY bit of German, so I wouldn't be too nervous about that one. Anything other than those three will depend on our available resources at the time.

I don't plan to start a 3rd language with ds until he has 2 years of Latin under his belt. If he wanted to wait until high school, that would be okay with me, but I know he's chomping at the bit!

I voted Spanish, but we might start some Greek first, using the Greek Alphabet Code Cracker when we've got a good start in French and I think we can add one more thing to our schedule. :D DH is more interested in them learning Greek than Latin (as an aide to Bible study), though Latin still a possiblity further on...maybe.:lol:

Edited by ariasmommy

We have been doing French since starting hsing at the end of 2nd grade. Even after all this time, I see the most progress between 7th and now (9th grade). At the time we started, my French wasn't so hot, but it, for me too, has really improved over the years. I expect that dd will pursue French thru the AP level.

We started Latin in 3rd or 4th grade. She has also done quite well in that, but stalled a bit at what would be 2nd year high school level. This summer she's reviewing via the Univ. of Missouri distance ed. She's left me in the dust in the last year or two--I just don't have the time to put in it, and there turns out to be a big difference in progress between doing language 3 days/wk (me) or 5 days/wk (dd).

She'll either complete AP in junior or senior year, and Latin in junior year w/o doing AP (probably SAT II). Then, she plans to try to cram in one year of German, and hopes to apply for the NSLI program to do a summer in Turkey studying intensively. That would make 4 languages + English, pre college. I still can't believe that's possible, but it is if you start early.

Danielle

Sign language. We will begin now, at 18 months (we were already doing baby signs, but we will be a little more purposeful with it now, rather than just focusing on survival :lol:). I am technically starting this before Spanish, but I decided it was our "third" language simply because I want our main focus to be Spanish. I will put most of my energy into the Spanish, not the ASL. I chose ASL because it is something she can learn now, and also something I find interesting. We MIGHT also consider adopting a child with hearing loss in the future, so this would be a good way to work toward that goal gradually.

You know, part of it is how easy it is to find materials to teach ASL as well. I would actually love for her to learn some Arabic, Somali, Hindi, and Hmong, but I don't think there are many resources for learning these languages for young children, nevermind opportunities to learn them at an advanced level later on.

Edited by RaeAnne

I voted "other" again, because you didn't have an "I'm not sure" option. I have books to begin teaching latin, and the interest is there, but I'm having trouble fitting it into the schedule.

Also, I've been wanting the kids to learn Urdu (dh's native lang), but I can't teach them myself I'd have to outsource it somehow and haven't been able to arrange that yet.

Our other option is German, because I have a basic knowledge of that.

I'm torn between wanting to go with what interests the child (Latin), what I feel more competent to teach (German) and what is important for their heritage and extended family life (Urdu). So at the moment we're doing nothing. :001_huh: