Menu

OK, I am going insane trying to decide on this year's school

Quiver0f10

Seriously. I am going round and round over this and driving myself and my good friend Tracy insane. HELP. One day I am all set. The next I don't have a clue what I want to use.

We used TOG year 1 last year and my kids HATED it. Said it's too much reading. It's boring. They want text books. I hated it too really. I never made connections. I had a hard time teaching things that didn't have laid out answers.

What I'd absolutely love is something with one or two simple spines. A few historical fiction and literature books thrown in to round it out. We can dig deeper if we want and spend time researching famous people or events. They can write a simple summary at the end of the week.

I keep going back to TOG because it's all laid out for me, but in my heart it's way more than I need or want at this point in time. I thought of MFW but I am not sure why I decided against it. I also looked at AO but can't seem to make it work with the ages I have. I think one of my problems with pulling together my own thing is I lack the confidence to put together my own chronological list of books, which is another reason I am drawn to something like TOG.

I have K-12's Human odyssey( bought, sold, rebought *sigh*) as well as both KF encyclopedias, SOTW , Spielvogel's Human Odyssey and Western Civ, Streams of Civ as well as a slew of other books.

Why is this so difficult!? It's just history for crying out loud! Of course I am stll unsure on elementray science and upper level math. I have never had trouble deciding on school before this year :confused: We start school in 4 weeks and I don't want to use 1/2 of what I have bought.

Edited by Quiver0f10

What we do in middle school is to take a couple of years to do American History, but we only do the WTM history rotation twice instead of thrice. The textbook we have is All American History. My eldest is finishing up the second one now. She hates history, so reads it & does the workbook. My younger one, however, reads it, reads everything we can get from the great lists in the activity guide. In fact, there are lists for all 3 main age groups (gr 1-4, 5-8, 9-12). I don't know how boring or interesting the text is because I don't read it with them, but handle the other parts of it with them.

I *love* K12's Human Odyssey. It is engaging and well written. I don't particularly like the KF encyclopedia and I can't stand Speilvogel's Human Odyssey.

The problem with K12's Human Odyssey is that unless you use the online portion, there are no questions or anything for output. I get around this by assigning essays on the big topics and I don't ask questions about the details.

Nice to meet someone else in the boat with me, Jean :) Not only have I waffled about TOG, SOTW and Abeka textbooks, I joined a TOG co-op, backed out, and rejoined! LOL! The reason I keep going back to TOG is for the last few years, history has been ok, but not over the top. Sonlight, SOTW, MOH, all fit part of the puzzle, but it's not come together. As I've prayed about the direction for our schooling this year, G-d has led me again and again (He's so patient) to TOG. It is laid out, my kids will hopefully learn to work more independently, I'm forced to plan more-something I've not done much of, the ladies of the co-op are a wonderful, supportive group. One more thought, we're not covering every subject that Tapestry offers. It all looks wonderful, but it'd be a bit much. That said, I'm putting on the diving gear and jumping ship!

Smiles,

Teresa

I really think SOTW can't be beat for ease of use and adaptability - - you can delve as deep as you want, yet the basics are all there for you for the times when you need to just finish the chapter.

What history rotation are you on? If you are so lucky as to be on ancients, I would use SWB's new book for the older kids, and SOTW for everyone else. I'm fine with SOTW at the middle school level, b/c there is SO MUCH you can add to it, and there's nothing wrong with a clear, simple explanation of historical events.

You said:

What I'd absolutely love is something with one or two simple spines. A few historical fiction and literature books thrown in to round it out. We can dig deeper if we want and spend time researching famous people or events. They can write a simple summary at the end of the week.

and I think that SOTW fits that really well. Even if the exact book recs don't work for an older student, it's easy enough to substitute one Galileo biography for another one - - almost every topic is going to have books at differing levels (and I tend to depend on what my library system has, anyway, rather than buying the exact recs).

And think of the money you can spend on extra books and supplements, if you use the SOTW that you already own! ;)

What are the ages of the kids you need History for, Jean? What year of the rotation are you on? What did you use before TOG?

If you provide those answers, I'll help if I can! :D

They are 15(sept), 13, 11, 10 (sept), and 6. Grades 9, 8, 6, 3 and 1st. We did SOTW 1-3, then a year of US with SL and TQ, then TOG year 1 last year. We are on year 2 this year. Thanks!

What you are describing sounds like Biblioplan.

However, there is nothing to guide any discussion. Some of the writing prompts are interesting, but there is not anything in terms of teacher-led discussion. We tried this, but both ds and I found it kind of disjointed.

What history rotation are you on? If you are so lucky as to be on ancients, I would use SWB's new book for the older kids, and SOTW for everyone else.

and I think that SOTW fits that really well. Even if the exact book recs don't work for an older student, it's easy enough to substitute one Galileo biography for another one - - almost every topic is going to have books at differing levels (and I tend to depend on what my library system has, anyway, rather than buying the exact recs).

And think of the money you can spend on extra books and supplements, if you use the SOTW that you already own! ;)

If her middle ages book were out I'd use it for sure! I even thought about redoing ancients so we could do just that LOL!

We have already used SOTW 1-3 though. I guess I could use it with the 1st and 3rd, older kids could listen as I read it aloud and use it as a spine for them to do reading at their own levels?

I think one of my problems with pulling together my own thing is I lack the confidence to put together my own chronological list of books

both KF encyclopedias, SOTW , Spielvogel's Human Odyssey and Western Civ, Streams of Civ as well as a slew of other books.

It sounds to me, from these little bits, that you already know what you like, but just lack confidence in your ability to make it work. But maybe because the other programs are so detailed, you are measuring yourself against them? But, if you can make "your own thing" work, then you are probably more likely to make connections on your own with your kids, which would make it much more enjoyable and then they'll get more out of it anyway, even without the scripted program.

I think your idea is great! Have a spine (SOTW for youngers, KF-pages-based-on-SOTW chapters for middlers, maybe one of the others you listed for the olders), read through a chronological list (see WTM for ideas to pick from), use the reading as material for one or two of your weekly writing assignments. Let the ones who know how to do so keep their own timelines, and do a timeline with the middlers-and-up with the ones who don't know how to do it yet, and use those to talk about connections, too, as you write dates in as you read.

I SO have never been in your shoes, but I just wanted to hopefully give you some encouragement about "doing your own thing" so you don't get bogged down! :D

We have already used SOTW 1-3 though. I guess I could use it with the 1st and 3rd, older kids could listen as I read it aloud and use it as a spine for them to do reading at their own levels?

That's what I do, for the same reasons. Ds listens to me read SOTW aloud to dd, then I give him separate KF pages to read through and pick other reading topics from (and get timeline dates from).

A poster named Christine has a blog page with a chart that coordinates SOTW with KF. I'll link it if you want.

That's what I do, for the same reasons. Ds listens to me read SOTW aloud to dd, then I give him separate KF pages to read through and pick other reading topics from (and get timeline dates from).

A poster named Christine has a blog page with a chart that coordinates SOTW with KF. I'll link it if you want.

That would be great! Thank you.

It sounds to me, from these little bits, that you already know what you like, but just lack confidence in your ability to make it work. But maybe because the other programs are so detailed, you are measuring yourself against them? But, if you can make "your own thing" work, then you are probably more likely to make connections on your own with your kids, which would make it much more enjoyable and then they'll get more out of it anyway, even without the scripted program.

I think your idea is great! Have a spine (SOTW for youngers, KF-pages-based-on-SOTW chapters for middlers, maybe one of the others you listed for the olders), read through a chronological list (see WTM for ideas to pick from), use the reading as material for one or two of your weekly writing assignments. Let the ones who know how to do so keep their own timelines, and do a timeline with the middlers-and-up with the ones who don't know how to do it yet, and use those to talk about connections, too, as you write dates in as you read.

I SO have never been in your shoes, but I just wanted to hopefully give you some encouragement about "doing your own thing" so you don't get bogged down! :D

Yep. I know that's what my problem is. I need to just DO it lol.

Jean,

I'd use SOTW 2 with the 1, 3, 6 graders, and Omnibus with the 8 and 9 graders.

Have you ever used SOTW AG? It's GREAT. Gives you questions, projects, coordinated readings in KF and Usborne, tests (order separate, use just for the 6th grader)...fab resource.

Alternatively, you could use MOH with all of them, making it less mandatory for your 1st grader. Still use the AG for projects.

Or, MOH for the biggest 3, beefing it up a little for the oldest--add in Medieval and Ren lit for that one. Use SOTW for 1 and 3. Use the AG for them, too.

Biblioplan-definitely. It does everything you're saying. Only thing missing would be discussion questions, which you would have time to do discussions because everything else is all planned out for you! The reading is not overwhelming either. We loved every book choice! They now have maps, timelines, etc. to go along with it. Be sure to check out the Cool History pages for Student Activity Page type (but more pared down) worksheets.

I decided I needed something *way* more pre-planned than we usually do with lots of comprehension questions provided for me. We are doing US history this year and decided to go with History of US with my 6th and 7th graders following Sonlight's Core 100 plan (I bought a used copy of the IG). I cut the history and lit suggestions each in half and added those in through the year. I also bought The Complete Book of United States History and A First Book in American History for my 3rd grader and correlated with what my older kids are doing. So far, it's working well (we've only been doing it a week, though:001_smile:). I like that I was able to correlate them easily so when I sprinkle in projects here and there (mostly from Evan Moore books) they will apply to everyone. I'd be happy to send you copies of my correlated plans if you want them.

I just decided to pick something, anything, and stick with it. I am just so sick of questioning myself once school gets going.:glare:

Seriously. I am going round and round over this and driving myself and my good friend Tracy insane. HELP. One day I am all set. The next I don't have a clue what I want to use.

We used TOG year 1 last year and my kids HATED it. Said it's too much reading. It's boring. They want text books. I hated it too really. I never made connections. I had a hard time teaching things that didn't have laid out answers.

I keep going back to TOG because it's all laid out for me, but in my heart it's way more than I need or want at this point in time. I thought of MFW but I am not sure why I decided against it. I also looked at AO but can't seem to make it work with the ages I have. I think one of my problems with pulling together my own thing is I lack the confidence to put together my own chronological list of books, which is another reason I am drawn to something like TOG.

I have K-12's Human odyssey( bought, sold, rebought *sigh*) as well as both KF encyclopedias, SOTW , Spielvogel's Human Odyssey and Western Civ, Streams of Civ as well as a slew of other books.

Why is this so difficult!? It's just history for crying out loud! Of course I am stll unsure on elementray science and upper level math. I have never had trouble deciding on school before this year :confused: We start school in 4 weeks and I don't want to use 1/2 of what I have bought.

If you like the spines you listed, why not simply use them and add books in? It is not difficult at all. There are books like "Let the Authors Speak" (and another one that I can never remember the title) that organize titles by geography, time period, reading level, etc that make it quite simply to plug in accompanying titles.

I have never been able to find a history program I like. Ever. I end up changing things so much that it doesn't even really resemble the original. I have been much happier simply creating the kids their own and then I can pace the reading, etc specifically to each child's ability.

FWIW......I have a very comprehensive booklist/source list for the middle ages from our school yr 2 yrs ago (I taught it to high school down to 3rd grade). I would be happy to send you a copy. ( I would guess it would be obvious that there are many Catholic titles. ;) )

If you like the spines you listed, why not simply use them and add books in? It is not difficult at all. There are books like "Let the Authors Speak" (and another one that I can never remember the title) that organize titles by geography, time period, reading level, etc that make it quite simply to plug in accompanying titles.

I have never been able to find a history program I like. Ever. I end up changing things so much that it doesn't even really resemble the original. I have been much happier simply creating the kids their own and then I can pace the reading, etc specifically to each child's ability.

FWIW......I have a very comprehensive booklist/source list for the middle ages from our school yr 2 yrs ago (I taught it to high school down to 3rd grade). I would be happy to send you a copy. ( I would guess it would be obvious that there are many Catholic titles. ;) )

I would love to see the list! Thank you!

I second Notgrass for your older couple of kids. I just bought it for my 8th grader to use this year. I think it'll be challenging for her, but she was pretty excited about it when she saw it. It's difficult trying to figure it all out when you have so many. I only have 5, (well 4 really since one goes to public high school) and I nearly lose my mind over decisions like this. ;-)

I have a very comprehensive booklist/source list for the middle ages from our school yr 2 yrs ago (I taught it to high school down to 3rd grade). I would be happy to send you a copy. ( I would guess it would be obvious that there are many Catholic titles. ;) )

Would you pm me your list, too, please?

Have you looked at the guides from Simply Charlotte Mason? They are grades 1- 12 and 180 lessons each. Guides are done for Egypt, Greece, and Rome (and all tie into Bible and Geography). Her materials are so easy and managable without a gazillion books to choose from or buy. The geography is the simplest I have ever found--and effective.

Also, we are just reading through The Picturesque Tales of Progress and reading go-along books as I find them.

Have you looked at the guides from Simply Charlotte Mason? They are grades 1- 12 and 180 lessons each. Guides are done for Egypt, Greece, and Rome (and all tie into Bible and Geography). Her materials are so easy and managable without a gazillion books to choose from or buy. The geography is the simplest I have ever found--and effective.
I'm only going to have one child homeschooling this coming year. Is this too detailed to use for just one? (dd, 7th grade)

Also, we are just reading through The Picturesque Tales of Progress and reading go-along books as I find them.

These look great! But I need middle ages and I don't see one for that time period?

If's so inexpensive, and while it's really just a reading plan, you can use a variety of spines, it has readers for various age groups, and it plans interesting reading for family read aloud. Since you already own so many spines, you could mostly use what you already have and just find what works for each child.

I'm getting excited about it now that I bit the bullet and ordered it.

If's so inexpensive, and while it's really just a reading plan, you can use a variety of spines, it has readers for various age groups, and it plans interesting reading for family read aloud. Since you already own so many spines, you could mostly use what you already have and just find what works for each child.

I'm getting excited about it now that I bit the bullet and ordered it.

Thanks. I will look at it.

There are FANTASTIC curriculums that are out there that are just a bad fit. There's no harm in saying, "Wow, I love Tapestry, it's a great curriculum, I love the way it's laid out, but it's just not for us at this point in our lives."

Use textbooks to "git 'er done" and then round it out with appropriate books. That's all. That way you feel confident that the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted and then give yourself the warm fuzzy of supplementing with history or science books that fit in with what you're learning...

Another vote for Biblioplan, but I think it lacks in Biblical integration. It does schedule some Bible, but you have to be deliberate in making the connections. Truthquest may fill that gap and offer even more literature suggestions.

Feeling your pain... I just got off the curriculum ferris wheel. ;)