Menu

Could you feed your family on $800 a year?

I do think it would be easier if you have a garden ( I do think she does) some laying hens, a milk cow or goats, fruit trees etc. We are looking foward to the day we can buy a place with land and be more self-sufficiant.

I have a productive garden and laying hens but I live in Northern CA and groceries are not cheap. Now if I went to the outlet stores where the fruit and veggies are weeks old, perhaps I could come closer to this target but I doubt I ever could really get there.

These websites that tell you you can feed a family of 4 for whatever amount a month usually don't offer very nutritious choices because IMHO it would probably be hard just about anywhere in the country to feed a family on $800.00 a year! - Unless you want to eat items from the lowest nutritional rung of the ladder and honestly even then I have my doubts...

Only if we had to...there would be a lot of beans and rice and I'd probably get into making our bread again... But my kids would NOT be happy. My oldest boy looks forward to dinner so much that he asked me what we were having for it, before he had even eaten breakfast!

Erika

I'd have a greater chance of success if my older son wasn't home! Our grocery bill goes up notably when he's here. He's been home for most of the last four months and we've spent way more than $800 in that time! Fortunately for our budget, he's taken a teaching job out of state and leaves in a few weeks.:001_smile:

And, yes, he was homeschooled through high school. He'll be teaching at a private school that was founded by home-schooling parents.

Technically, yes.

In reality, it would have to be a situation of absolute necessity where calories counted- as in, getting enough calories into the body to survive was paramount- not good nutrition. We couldnt eat healthily for that amount, unless we grew a lot of our own vegetables.

No way on the planet. We don't have coupons here the way that you guys in the States seem to.

No kidding! And the coupons I do see are generally for brand names and I buy mostly store or no name brand stuff. Even with the coupons the brand name stuff is often still more expensive then the no name stuff.

we couldn't do it at all. we grow nearly all of our veggies all year round. we grow our own meat,and have a house cow. we don't have a coupon thingy happening here at all.

flour alone costs around $33 for a 25kg sack. and we go through a sack every month. coffee costs over $20/kg for unground beans, though my husband said the good brands are over $30 /kg ( I don't drink it, my husband does) I spend around $500 per month on food.

we couldn't do it at all. we grow nearly all of our veggies all year round. we grow our own meat,and have a house cow. we don't have a coupon thingy happening here at all.

flour alone costs around $33 for a 25kg sack. and we go through a sack every month. coffee costs over $20/kg for unground beans, though my husband said the good brands are over $30 /kg ( I don't drink it, my husband does) I spend around $500 per month on food.

25kg of flour a month? Wow! And where do you get it from?? I'm looking for a good supply of flour.

Yes I'm with your DH... crap coffee is $22/kg good coffee can be double that. I'm coping with the crap stuff :( Still better than instant though eh.

No kidding! And the coupons I do see are generally for brand names and I buy mostly store or no name brand stuff. Even with the coupons the brand name stuff is often still more expensive then the no name stuff.

:iagree:

Exactly. I still buy store-brands because of that. I'm enjoying the local farmer's market and other various local farm-stands far too much to squeeze into an $800/yr. budget. I've found the most heavenly tomatoes and I buy them for $6/lb. :001_huh: I could shoot for $800/mo., but produce up here is super-expensive. If I made a greater effort to garden, pick more berries, hunt, and fish, I could get what we have to go to the store and spend money for down quite a bit.

25kg of flour a month? Wow! And where do you get it from?? I'm looking for a good supply of flour.

Yes I'm with your DH... crap coffee is $22/kg good coffee can be double that. I'm coping with the crap stuff :( Still better than instant though eh.

I get my flour from a wholesalers, PFD there should be a PFD somewhere around where you live, they are the ones that supply caterers etc.. I get bakers flour ( cheaper), not bread premix, which costs more.

I found this site yesterday and didn't really look around that much, but it looks interesting. I don't think I could do this mostly because we don't eat a lot of things that take coupons such as prepackaged stuff and I don't have anys stores nearby that double and triple coupons.

No, I couldn't, and I wouldn't want to. Our food budget is one of our extravagences because I like to cook and eat well and I have an appreciative audience. Nothing like a, "You're the best cook in the world, Dad!" to keep me going.

No way without having turning my backyard into a farm. We buy tons of fresh produce, lean meats, and milk but don't buy any convenience food unless you consider store-bought bread a convenience item. I don't use coupons often, because most of my food comes from the perimeter of the store where coupons don't often apply or I buy generic oatmeal, wheat flour, etc. I feel that healthy, fresh food is an investment in our health. It also makes us happy to experiment with new dishes, new herbs, and new cooking methods. I detest processed food and ingredients, and so avoid them whenever I can. We're not a Frito Pie or Tator Tot Hotdish - type family, and those are the types of dishes I see recommended on those frugal homemaker sites. We are willing to put money down to pay for quality food. ;) Is wine included in the budget or is that separate? :tongue_smilie:

No way without having turning my backyard into a farm. We buy tons of fresh produce, lean meats, and milk but don't buy any convenience food unless you consider store-bought bread a convenience item. I don't use coupons often, because most of my food comes from the perimeter of the store where coupons don't often apply or I buy generic oatmeal, wheat flour, etc. I feel that healthy, fresh food is an investment in our health. It also makes us happy to experiment with new dishes, new herbs, and new cooking methods. I detest processed food and ingredients, and so avoid them whenever I can. We're not a Frito Pie or Tator Tot Hotdish - type family, and those are the types of dishes I see recommended on those frugal homemaker sites. We are willing to put money down to pay for quality food. ;) Is wine included in the budget or is that separate? :tongue_smilie:

Yes, I know what you're saying. I have often read the frugal sites and all the processed foods are what keep me from going that route. I do use canned soups in recipes at times, mac and cheese for lunch, but that's about the extent of it. I have yet to conquer the grocery budget. Anytime I try to use coupons, we wind up with a bunch of junk that we don't normally purchase and is unhealthy, and it is just because I can get such a great price. It seems like I have a choice: we can either eat healthy and pay more or I can set a tight budget with little health value. It just makes more sense to pay more and eat better.

Great idea--this is also a good place to save, now that you mention it.

Seriously, I'm taking notes.

If you want to e-mail or PM me with your list of leftovers, I gladly will send you my brainstorming ideas. (I don't do anything bizarre.)

That's a great idea! I'll need to check out recipes now that it's the end of the week and things are looking, shall we say, lifeless.

I am cheap, er frugal, and I could not feed my family of 5 on $800. a year. Perhaps if we had a milk cow, a steer, bought no dairy, no meat. I do manage to feed my family for around $400. a month (incl. cleaning/personal supplies) due to our large garden and orchard, but $800. a year. That's too cheap for me, even.

Janet

Wow. No way! I'm in CA, so prices are already pretty high, plus I'm gluten intolerant and spend lots of extra $$ on specialty food.

Sure, if I had to, I'd find a way to cut down. I'd stop getting gluten free crackers and just eat a potato. I'm not sure there's any way I could feed all of us on under $100 a week, much less a month!

No way without having turning my backyard into a farm.

Tami, that's what I've done, only in the front yard (because that's where the sun hits). I've got a bunch of 10x10' and 8x8' raised garden beds that I built from wood of discarded furniture. That, the compost bin, & the clothesline to save $$ on drying clothes have us looking like regular hicks. :D

There is a lady in my church that does this kind of shopping. She recently did a mini seminar at our spring womens conference at our church. I am not sure I can remember all of the steps that she goes through but here goes: She collects the coupons that come out in the Sunday paper. She has people who give her these so that she might have 15 or 20 copies. Then she files them and waits about 5 -6 weeks when the manufacture coupons come out in the store, which are usually the same as those that came out 5 -6 weeks ago...those products are on sale. She uses an online site that lets her know that those products are on sale that week. She then goes to a store that has double coupons, and with her original coupons and the store sales and the double off coupons she purchases items very cheap.

As a demonstration, She had several items on the table and we had to guess how much she had spent on each thing. Some of her purchases were so cheap...like a box of cereal for $.25, or a box of crackers for $.30 and even a bag of fresh salad mix that the store ended up paying her a penny to take out the store. She said you can even do this with meats and produce.

One Sunday she brought 20 gallons of milk, 15 dozen eggs and several blocks of cheese to the church to be given to people who were needy. She has been doing this for about a year and has stock piled a lot of products. She told us that she has a lot of mulitple items in her pantry, such as 15 boxes of Cheerios or 8 bottles of dressing etc. Now she is able to take food to the local food pantry and sees it as a ministry.

I haven't started doing this because for one, it takes a lot of time and I would need to do my shopping an hour away (she goes with a friend every week). Plus we don't eat a lot of prepackaged food either.