Menu

Fried Foods!

I'm sure some of you expected to be reading a rant about how terrible fried foods are... sorry!

Those of you who are cringing or thinking about how terrible fried foods are - go eat a veggie somewhere and hush! haha :lol:

What are your favorite things to cook in the fryer??? We just recently got our (2nd) fryer, and now I'm all excited at the possibilities! What are some things that you and your family love to make in the fryer? Mexican foods, Asian foods, good ol American foods, sweets?

:lurk5:

It might be fun to try some of the things I have seen on Food TV that are fried at the State Fair - fried pb&j, anyone?

My favorite thing that I would absolutely fry at home is FRIED PICKLES!!!!:tongue_smilie:

DH would have me perfect the art of the beer battered onion ring.

I don't have a fryer, but dh will heat up oil in a pan and fry flour tortillas (cut them in fourths) until golden brown. Sprinkle with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar, and eat with honey.

These are as good as the ones he used to make from scratch.

Mommy2be,

You are a woman after my own heart. I was raised in the south and as far as I'm concerned everything taste better fried. You should also think about butter.....butter makes everything better. Just ask Paula Dean.....she uses a stick of butter in everything. :D

So here is the list of fried stuff I like, but my doctor has forbidden me to eat.

Fried eggs

Fried cheese

French Fries

Fried chicken

Fried ice cream

I'm on what my doctor calls a healthy eating plan (also known as a stupid diet) so I should probably stay far away from this thread.

Blessings,

Those of you who are cringing or thinking about how terrible fried foods are - go eat a veggie somewhere and hush! haha :lol:

LOL!

What are your favorite things to cook in the fryer??? We just recently got our (2nd) fryer, and now I'm all excited at the possibilities! What are some things that you and your family love to make in the fryer? Mexican foods, Asian foods, good ol American foods, sweets?

Donuts. Use those cheap refrigerator biscuits (the ones that are 10 in a can, often 4 cans packaged together). Poke a hole in each biscuit, stretch it a little (some people actually take dough out of the middle and make donut holes too, but you get a larger donut if you leave all the dough there and just stretch a hole). Deep fry, then immediately coat in cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar. Eat immediately (as soon as it's reasonably cooled off). They don't last overnight--they get tough.

I normally fry sliced zucchini and summer squash in oil in a frying pan. I dip each slice in beaten egg, and then in flour. It makes a very crispy, flaky coating when done. I haven't used our deep fryer in a long time, but it would probably do a great job too.

There was something I had at a state fair a couple of years ago. It was some sort of battered & fried veggie, but I can't remember what it was. All I know is that it was good! I love onion rings too.

It might be fun to try some of the things I have seen on Food TV that are fried at the State Fair - fried pb&j, anyone?

My favorite thing that I would absolutely fry at home is FRIED PICKLES!!!!:tongue_smilie:

DH would have me perfect the art of the beer battered onion ring.

:iagree:I LOVE fried pickles!!! Everything DOES taste better fried!

I'll share a little somethin' with you ladies... my husband will make fried onion strings (or onion rings) and we eat them with something we call "White Bar-B-Q". Choose your favorite bar-b-q sauce and your favorite ranch dressing and mix them together. You can do equal parts of each or a little more ranch than bar-b-q, but it's some goooood stuff!!! It goes well with more than just the onion strings too!

You should be able to have bacon then, right? Think of all the fat you cook out of it. :lol:

My mother would freak out if she saw this. You can't just throw the grease out....you have to fry your eggs in that bacon grease. (And my doctor wonders why my eating habits were so crappy.)

Apple fritters are my new favorite.

We also love onion rings... actually any vegetable fried is great. And it's healthy too, because its a veggie, right?

I don't use our fryer much, but my husband and son do. We have started a new tradition of them planning the meals on Saturday and my son has declared it fried food day.:001_smile:

You can't just throw the grease out....you have to fry your eggs in that bacon grease.

This reminds me of an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond - Frank once threw out some of Marie's drippings - apparently that was a big NO NO! :ohmy:

Oh, good lord, you've come to the right place. My family is Swedish and everything is fried and beige. If it has any color what-so-ever, you put beige gravy on it.

SWEDISH POTATO PANCAKES

3 med. raw potatoes

1/2 tsp. salt

1/8 tsp. pepper

2 eggs

1/4 c. flour

1/4 tsp. baking powder

Grate potatoes. Add salt, pepper, flour and baking powder. Fold in well beaten eggs. Drop by tablespoons on a hot, well greased skillet. Pat out flat and fry about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with fried sausage or lingonberries.

SWEDISH ROSETTES

1 c. milk

1 tbsp. sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

2 eggs, unbeaten

2 tsp. vanilla

1 c. plus 1 tbsp. flour

Beat egg until a little fluffy. Add sugar slowly. Add milk and vanilla and stir. Add flour mixed with salt. Consistency should be like a heavy cream.

Fry Daddy temperature for oil is 375 degrees. Dip rosette iron into batter and fry until golden brown. Makes about 23 rosettes.

Schnitzel

1 quart oil for deep frying

6 (6 ounce) fillets pork sirloin

1 cup cake flour

2 cups dry bread crumbs

2 eggs

1/4 cup milk

salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

1.Heat deep-fryer to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2.Place meat on a solid, level surface and pound with a mallet until it is 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick.

3.Place the flour and bread crumbs in separate dishes. Soup plates are useful. Lightly beat the eggs and add the milk. Lightly season with salt and pepper and put this into another soup plate.

4.Coat the meat in flour, patting lightly by hand. Using a fork to hold the meat, dip into the egg mixture and drain slightly. Next, coat with the breadcrumbs by lightly pressing the crumbs into the meat. When each piece of meat has been prepared, deep fry in cooking oil until golden brown.

I'd suggest a course in CPR before making these a staple....:D

ETA: It was not my intention to offend any Swedes. It was just a running joke in my family that gravy is a food group and it was required that we talked about what was for dinner while we were eating lunch...;)

Edited by Rich with Kids

SWEDISH POTATO PANCAKES

Grate potatoes. Add salt, pepper, flour and baking powder. Fold in well beaten eggs. Drop by tablespoons on a hot, well greased skillet. Pat out flat and fry about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve with fried sausage or lingonberries.

So would those options be fried sausage and fried lingonberries? :D

I love french fries. I want a deep fryer just so I can make my own and stop paying the clown to make them for me, lol.

My new favorite is fried cheese curds (the orange ones, not the white ones). We were up in northern WI for vacation last month and had some beer battered, fried cheese curds.

Okra! I love fried okra. Did anyone say that yet? Also hushpuppies and fish, yummy. Also my mom used to fry potatoes in bacon greese, it was yummy, she would also fry potatoes with onions. Onions added to breaded squash and zucchini is also good. I wish my mom was still around to cook those things for me. She made the best biscuits, shapped by hand and so beautiful, those were baked not fried.

I loved fried food, and I'm not ashamed. I did once post a chocolate doughnut thread on here that only one lonely soul was brave enough to post in! I don't have a deep fryer; I use a semi-circular pan (round bottom, so you get the depth without a huge volume of oil). I fry various vegetable and grain type concoctions (somewhere between a pakora and falafel), doughnuts, samosas, potatoes (plain and with coatings), and ... there must be something else? My husband would like it if I fried fish, but I haven't yet.

I don't think it's that bad for you. The dough I use for doughnuts is very low fat. Baked things like cake tend to have the oil baked in, so what's the difference?

Happy frying!

YUM! Everyone's posts have been making my mouth water!

I even prefer fried and salty snacks over cookies!

Most of my fav's have already been mentioned, but I also love Bhajias/ Pakoras. These are an Indian fried vegetable fritter.

You can use onions or potatos (or any veg. on hand, like green peppers, gourd,etc)

Here's my quick recipe-I never use exact measurements.

Onions cut in 1 inch pieces and/or sliced potatoes about 1/8 inch thick.

In a bowl, put about a cup of Chick Pea Flour and add spices. I like Chile powder, Coriander and Cumin powder, a little garam masala, chopped coriander, turmeric and salt.

Heat the oil in the fryer.

Place the onions in the spiced flour, mix, add a couple tsp of water and mix. Add more water if the mixture is to stiff.

Grab spoon and scoop out some of the mixture and deep fry until golden brown.

Dip in ketchup or chutney.

These are especially yummy on a damp or rainy day:D

Well, I grew up in and still live in the south - the DEEP south - Mississippi. I'm as Southern as one can get - accent and all ;)

We love our fried foods and I LOVE Paula Dean because she is a woman after my own heart. I'm much more concerned with taste than with health. I hope that the health nuts on this board don't read this...haha.

Now, we don't eat fried foods all the time, but we do enjoy them.

I love:

Minute steaks with gravy

Hamburger steaks with gravy

fried eggs, fried in the bacon grease

fried chicken

fried deer steak with gravy (noticing a trend here? :) )

fried cheese sticks

fried dill pickles (homemade)

chicken strips and homemade seasoned potato wedges

Squash or zuccini (sp?)

eggplant

catfish and hushpuppies

We also like to make these things called Big Daddys - You fry a flour tortilla till it's good and crispy, then load it with taco meat, refried beans, sour cream, guacamole, jalapenos, lettuce, tomato, green chilies, onions, salsa...and whatever else you like. It's SO good.

Right now, though, my dh and I are on an a healthy eating plan - I've lost 24 lbs in 31 days and he's lost 47. So, we are going to stick with this for a while. We aren't obese, but we'd both like to lose some weight. So far, so good.

There are sooo many things that are good cooked in a fryer - we like to do the frozen burritos (you know the ones you can get in the frozen section for .69?) and to do the frozen eggrolls.

Ah, why am I talking about all the things I can't eat? The funny things is...I'm not even craving that stuff. I think my healthy lifestyle has changed me. Although, I would LOVE a big pot of black-eyed peas and cornbread. Yum.

That reminded me of Indian fry bread. I had that a long time ago, but don't remember how to make it. Any one know?

Was it Puri?

Here's a recipe if it was:

http://www.ivcooking.com/p269_83.php

These are generally eaten with something else, so I'd pair with either an Indian vegetable dish (fried potatos or chickpeas are good) or for something a little sweeter the pulp of a mango is great, its called Rus and you can find it in big cans at an Indian grocery store.

Was it Puri?

Here's a recipe if it was:

http://www.ivcooking.com/p269_83.php

These are generally eaten with something else, so I'd pair with either an Indian vegetable dish (fried potatos or chickpeas are good) or for something a little sweeter the pulp of a mango is great, its called Rus and you can find it in big cans at an Indian grocery store.

Maybe. It was white flour instead of whole wheat. I don't know how it was made, but my mom might have the recipe. I'll have to check. When I had it for the first time it was at a church event with several different missionaries, and each missionary made one kind of food from the country they were living in. The fry bread was by itself and not served with anything (at least at this event).

The funny thing is, this was the first time I had ever had clam chowder (New England), and I loved it. I think the missionary was serving somewhere in the eastern/New England states, and he served Campbell's New England clam chowder. He said it was easier for this occasion.

Edited by gardening momma
spelling

Maybe. It was white flour instead of whole wheat. I don't know how it was made, but my mom might have the recipe. I'll have to check. When I had it for the first time it was at a church event with several different missionaries, and each missionary made one kind of food from the country they were living in. The fry bread was by itself and not served with anything (at least at this event).

The funny thing is, this was the first time I had ever had clam chowder (New England), and I loved it. I think the missionary was serving somewhere in the eastern/New England states, and he served Cambell's New England clam chowder. He said it was easier for this occasion.

I didn't notice that that recipe said whole wheat. It's whole wheat, however it's different from the whole wheat flour here in the US. The look and color of the flour is lighter than regular whole wheat, but not as white as white flour. At Indian grocers it's called Atta flour. The best way to make that flour would be to do a mix of half whole wheat and half white flour.

I can try to post a recipe tomorrow. Remind me if I forget.

I have one that is an Indian (as in Native American) fry bread. We make it and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.

That reminded me of Indian fry bread. I had that a long time ago, but don't remember how to make it. Any one know?