Menu

I know I'm probably naive but boy was I shocked at the orthodontist's estimate.

I'm still reeling from the shock. Yesterday we took our 13 yr ds to the orthodontist for an assessment. My son has a severe overbite which has to be corrected, not for cosmetic purposes but because he already experience jaw pain. Anyway, the cost? $8,100.

Yeah. $8,100. And it really isn't optional.

Hmm. Definitely get a second opinion, BUT--if he has special circumstances, that might not be too far out of line.

My daughter got braces last year and the total is around $5000+ just for the braces and treatment. When we add in her gum grafting surgery and the surgery to pull out supernumeraries and "fish out" an adult tooth that hasn't erupted, we're looking closer to $7000. Extensive oral procedures are expensive:001_huh:

OK--at the risk of seeming pretty insane, I will admit to having visited 5, YES 5 orthodontist's this summer. I had intended to go to two. Then, I got 2 totally different opinions on treatment. Then, I went to the 3rd who gave a completely different one and was $1000 less. The 4th agreed with no one either and finally the 5th agreed with the first. Of course, those two want to wait and didn't give estimates. So, we are going to wait a little while after all that and go back to those two...I know - CRAZY!!!

Anyway, my estimates were between $5750 and down to $4200 minus our $1000 benefit. So, around 4000 or 3000 out of pocket.

Sounds high.

Our recent estimate (two weeks ago) is $3880, which will be reduced by $1500 dental coverage. So we have an up-front payment of $800 and then 20 months of $100-something payments.

I haven't read your other replies, but if there is a dental school nearby, they might offer orthodontia at a lower cost if no other orthodontist does.

We got an $8000 estimate from one orthodontist, the first we saw. He has a fabulous office and the Cadillac of treatment plans (a three-phase plan stretching from now until my ds' teens), but that was a bit much. A lot much. I already knew that orthodontia usually runs $3500-5000 in our area depending on the treatment.

Shop around. I started asking friends, and my dh asked a retired orthodontist he knows. The retired orthodontist was fantastic. He rolled his eyes when he heard our estimate and said that overtreatment and high prices in orthodontia are a huge problem. He recommended two orthodontists in our area who provide excellent treatment at a reasonable price.

Cat

There is no option of a second opinion anywhere near us. As it is, this orthodontist only comes to the neighbouring community one week of each month. We have to drive 45 minutes to go to his office.

Having said that I do think the severity of the overbite has something to do with the high cost. I met a person I knew there yesterday who was also having her daughter assessed. I saw her today and she said her daughter's treatment was only $5 500 (I can't believe I said "only").

My son will have to wear his braces for 30 months.

I pay $200 month for my daughters braces (we have no dental insurance) and we just finished year one and it looks like another 6-12 months more. So I am looking at $3600 to $4600. She did not even have bad teeth!!

I went for several opinions and they were all in the same ballpark.

I'm still reeling from the shock. Yesterday we took our 13 yr ds to the orthodontist for an assessment. My son has a severe overbite which has to be corrected, not for cosmetic purposes but because he already experience jaw pain. Anyway, the cost? $8,100.

I'm actually going to second (it is actually more by now) a second opinion....

But, don't be surprised if the total is about the same.

My son has a SEVERE overbite and deep-bite (they called it something else). It is genetic, I had/have it too.

His first of 4 rounds cost us $1000. The second round should cost us about $4000. The third round will cost us about $2500 (depending on where we go). And, then the final round should "only" cost us about $1000-1500. For a generic grand total of $8000-8500. Plus, retainers for afterwards.

Don't get me started on my daughter. We're looking at another $8000 for her too.

Plus, moves and BLECH!! I'm hoping we can get some of their work done here in Japan for free (military).

Kris

How far are you from the border? It may be cheaper to have it done in the States (for the time being, anyway), even when gas costs and possible hotel stays are included.

We had a family in KS that came to the ortho's office from out of the country every 8 weeks. (They had family in the area, so no hotels). It was still cheaper.

HTH!

My son has a SEVERE overbite and deep-bite (they called it something else). It is genetic, I had/have it too.

Kris

My boy is adopted so we won't really know for sure.

As I posted above, a second opinion is out of the question here because there are no other orthodontist's in our vicinity (we live in a rural area).

How far are you from the border? It may be cheaper to have it done in the States (for the time being, anyway), even when gas costs and possible hotel stays are included.

We had a family in KS that came to the ortho's office from out of the country every 8 weeks. (They had family in the area, so no hotels). It was still cheaper.

HTH!

We live in Northern British Columbia . . . driving to Vancouver, BC is a 1500 km (each way) trip. From Vancouver it might not be too prohibitive but we are just too far away. In fact, we're not close to any major city.

My boy is adopted so we won't really know for sure.

As I posted above, a second opinion is out of the question here because there are no other orthodontist's in our vicinity (we live in a rural area).

Ugh!!

Well, then you just bite down and bear it :glare:;):D!!

It isn't fun!

One thought for you.... since it is a MEDICAL need, check and see if your medical coverage will cover any of it. I know for ME the medical insurance covered a bit (not a lot), for Kyler they will cover bits and parts of each stage. As far as I'm concerned every dollar helps.

Kris

My ds, although only 9 got an estimate. They said if I waited, the work would be so much more extensive and he estimated it costing up to 8,000. But if they started with a pallet expander than it would come to a total of 4,700. He just got the pallet expander:)

That would be something less in U.S. dollars, but still is a high fee. A second opinion, from an orthodontist not affiliated with the first one, will be helpful.

It is working out to around $5000 for us. A small portion is paid by our dental plan...very small. Our payments are running $160/mo with no interest.

In fact it will cover $3,500 so we will be out of pocket around $5000 which will be $280/mnth no interest payments for 18 mnths.

More than a year of college!

Try a dental school. The appointments may take a long time, but the work will be done right. Sometimes some of us have more time than money!

We just live too far off the beaten track. We really only have the option of this one orthodontist.

$6500-$7500 and my son's teeth are virtually perfect (the orthodontist's own words). He just needs braces to hold the teeth in place to pull down an adult tooth that doesn't want to move. I was beyond shocked when he told me the price. And I went to another ortho for a second opinion.

So, for me, $8000 seems right in line.

Okay, maybe you can plan it so the cost won't feel like such a big hit.

Find out if your insurance covers a total cost, or a maximum cost per year. If there's a per year benefit, start treatment near the end of the first year to be able to take advantage of the full year's credit. Ours only allowed for a one-time credit, but I have talked to others who were able to benefit by this tactic.

If you or your spouse has a medical savings plan with work, and you can wait until the beginning of next year, plan for it. We were able to plan ahead, stoke the MSA, then pay up front (less our insurance credit) to get a 10% cash discount, and apply for immediate reimbursement from our MSA.

HTH. I remember choking when I found out that our son would run $4000+, our daughter would run $7500, and next year ds #2 will probably have a $4000 plan as well. But, if I can give my kids a gift like this, I count it money well spent (just a huge chunk of it :glare:).

Wow, Rose; that does sound really expensive. We see Dr. Tabata here in Terrace and I really like him. So far our bills have been really reasonable. Any chance you could come to Terrace for a second opinion?

I thought Corbett was the only orthodontist in Terrace. Thanks for the information. I think we will definitely seek a second opinion.