Menu

What does the Hive say.....related to MERSA

Okay...so a very good friend of mine called me yesterday and told me that she had just gotten back from the doctor with her DH and kiddos, ages 5 & 2 and the doctor suspects they have MERSA. All three have open infections on their skin and were tested. Obviously it takes a day or so to culture these. So Sunday morning comes around and they all show up for church.

Now I have Lupus and I spent Friday night in the ER being pumped full of IV steroids because of a flare up. I'm anemic and my WBC count was low so I turn around and go straight home after I saw their car in the parking lot.

My friend seemed offended that I did this. She didn't understand why I didn't at least let my kiddos stay. Her doctor said it was fine for them to be around others, but I just wasn't willing to take that chance and end up back in the hospital.

Is MERSA not that serious? Did I over react? What do you guys think?

Blessings,

One of the boys in my son's class at school developed it after a hunting accident. His very life has been constantly at risk for over a year now. At graduation last month he was so weak he couldn't even stand up and deliver his (very short) speech. This boy had been healthy and full of life before his accident, and now he may not even live to adulthood.

http://www.prepareformrsa.com/index.php/mrsa/the-cause-of-the-mrsa-virus

From what I read it's extremely contagious (if you're talking about MRSA-staph infection). I think it would be very irresponsible to go to church suspecting you had this because it's potentially deadly for elderly and young children, many of which are at a church.

I think you made the right decision. Heaven knows you don't need to put yourself in further jeopardy when you're already dealing with a lot health wise.

HTH

I am very, very surprised that a doctor said that these people -- with uncovered wounds containing MRSA -- could be around other people !

My son's best friend just spent several days in the hospital following a serious horseback riding accident. He developed a MRSA in his leg wound (kick from the horse) and was confined to his hospital room, and not allowed out until the wound stopped draining. This was to protect not only him from further infection, but also the obvious -- to protect other people from contracting MRSA !

I hope your friend will come to understand why you absolutely could not risk exposure !

Okay...so a very good friend of mine called me yesterday and told me that she had just gotten back from the doctor with her DH and kiddos, ages 5 & 2 and the doctor suspects they have MERSA. All three have open infections on their skin and were tested. Obviously it takes a day or so to culture these. So Sunday morning comes around and they all show up for church.

Now I have Lupus and I spent Friday night in the ER being pumped full of IV steroids because of a flare up. I'm anemic and my WBC count was low so I turn around and go straight home after I saw their car in the parking lot.

My friend seemed offended that I did this. She didn't understand why I didn't at least let my kiddos stay. Her doctor said it was fine for them to be around others, but I just wasn't willing to take that chance and end up back in the hospital.

Blessings,

No, I don't believe you over reacted! One of the most difficult things that I have learned with some of the health situations we deal with is I have to make my decisions on what I feel is best for my children and myself not on what others feel/believe/perceive. Yes, I have lost friends over some of my decisions. It has been difficult. I am the one that knows my dc and myself better than anyone else except God.

In your situation I would ask your friend to please not come over with her dc until they are totally cleared of this and let her know that I will continue to stay away from church until I know it has happened.

I agree with the poster that advised you to talk to your Dr.

I may seem a little radical about this but my sister/best friend died from this 4 yrs ago.

Edited by mom4him

I am in disbelief. MRSA is responsible for horrific disfiguring infections as nothing can kill it...Dh devotes a large part of his law practice to disability cases. We have 7 right now pending adjudication alleging disability due to loss of limb secondary to MRSA. I hope her children are not MRSA positive . Please take care of yourself and stay away until it is determined that they are not MRSA carriers. Lupus is very serious and I would not risk my life with contracting MRSA. I hope that no one else at church is immune compromised.

Thanks for the replies. My rheumotologist just emailed me back and said to stay far, far away. The kids are supposed to go to summer camp tomorrow at church. My friend just called to tell me she isn't bringing him tomorrow because the spot on his back has spread on her DS and her DH has another spot as well. I just can't fathom their doc saying it was ok for them to be around others. She wants to keep him home tomorrow, but not today. I just don't get it.

This friend is the same one who had a birthday party while her DS had the flu last year and the majority of the church ended up sick after we all showed up not knowing that he was sick with the flu. I guess I shouldn't second guess myself when I know she isn't very responsible when it comes to these things.

Blessings,

That is horrific. :( She really needs to be on top of this too. Her kids and her dh seem to have a spreading staph infection. It may not be MRSA...but anything that is spreading and looks bad needs immediate medical attention. I am shocked the dr sent them home if he thought it was MRSA and had spread to that many family members.

The last person I knew IRL who had MRSA was an infant. He had it on his scalp and from the time the mom took him to the doctor until he was admitted to the hospital was about 2 hours. He was there for 10 days receiving antibiotics through an IV. MRSA is just not something to mess with.

The other two people I have known IRL with MRSA infections...died.

No, you are definitely NOT over reacting. We've skipped out on church for entire winters in order to reduce our exposure to common winter germs (ie. colds/flu). My youngest spent 8 days in the hospital after my middle child's classmate came to school with a cold...turned out to be RSV. I lost a baby through miscarriage at 14 weeks after we got the flu. My youngest also tends to get sick every Tuesday after each time to go to church on Sunday. With these experiences, there's no way I'd go to church if I knew there was possible Mersa there...and we have no medical issues making us more susceptible.

Last summer I was an HR Manager at a small company in town. We had a woman that worked there who had MERSA, as well as two of her kids. She had a flare up again a few months later, and had this big thing on the side of her face, and hadn't been feeling well. She mentioned something about going to the doctor, yadda yadda, MERSA, and wanted to come back after the appointment. I looked at her and said NO - you need to go to the doctor, get your prescriptions AND GO HOME!!

I also told her I wanted her to leave right then and there, I didn't care that her doctor's appt was two hours off.

I was polite but firm. We had an extremely small office where you could not avoid anyone. I told her to give me a call and let me know what her doctor told her.

It bugged me because the sore was not covered either. I doubt we would have caught it, but I felt it was my duty to tell her to please leave since it is contagious.

She got a prescription, had it drained, and properly covered. Her doctor told her it was okay to come back the next day (I asked her to get a note) and she did. No hard feelings lost either - she only came in because she was afraid her supervisor would get mad at her.

I have to say that ESPECIALLY since you have Lupus you made the right decision. Don't let it bug you that your friend was upset. IF she is truly a good friend, perhaps this incident will encourage her to research your illness as well as MERSA and realize what she needs to keep in mind about your needs and what you need to be careful of.

I have a very good friend I just adore. However, she is very allergic to cats and other animals, so I never invite her over our house. I also make sure that if we are going to be spending time with her my kids are not wearing clothes that have cat hair on them, which sometimes mean changing their clothes before they leave. We sometimes walk together in the park. However, because she gets colds easily and they are severe more than most people, I always let her know if I think I am coming down with anything before I go with her and let her decide if she wants to risk it.

Andrea,

I don't know why the church is allowing her to bring her children at all. I know she's your friend, but I would contact the church and let them know what is going on. You are obviously not the only person in the congregation with a compromised immune system (elderly, babies, people who have problems and choose not to make them public). This is a public health hazard. If she gets upset, you need to let her know that while you value her friendship, you can not allow her to compromise your health, or the health of others.

Blessings!

Dorinda

Guest Alte Veste Academy
I just can't fathom their doc saying it was ok for them to be around others. She wants to keep him home tomorrow, but not today. I just don't get it.

This friend is the same one who had a birthday party while her DS had the flu last year and the majority of the church ended up sick after we all showed up not knowing that he was sick with the flu. I guess I shouldn't second guess myself when I know she isn't very responsible when it comes to these things.

As uncomfortable as it might be for you, you should strongly consider letting her know just how incredibly serious this is for her and for her family. After reading everyone's responses here, I'm left wondering why she wasn't made to understand the severity of the problem by her doctor. Either he was irresponsible by not letting her know how serious it is or she isn't taking it seriously enough because maybe it's just her personality to not worry about things--which is fine, when something is really not a big deal. This is apparently a very big deal.

Obviously, I would stay far away if I were you but I would also give her a call and, with loving concern, explain your fears for her family, you know?

I have overlap syndrome and take immunosuppressants and I would have turned around too. I think I would have even if I wasn't sinck with my diseases since I think MRSA is such a serious illness. It isn't a casual illness at all. In fact, I don't know why some people think Strep or Staph infections are so unimportant. They are only mild if we have antibiotics that can treat them. Otherwise, they used to be major causes of illness and even death before antibiotics. My favorite Sherlock Holmes actor died from the effects of rheumatic fever many years later (but not at old age). Rheumatic fever was a big cause of heart problems before antibiotics and it is a rising cause now since too many people think that strep infections are supposed to be treated like colds. No, they are not and MRSA is a particularly virulent and dangerous strain.

I spoke with her a little while ago. She was planning on taking her kids back to the doctor in the morning. She thought she was doing the right thing because the doctor told her it was fine to take the kids to church. I obviously didn't agree with this, but I didn't know how to relay this as I'm not a doctor...KWIM. She is realizing that this is serious NOW that it is getting worse, but now our entire congregation has been exposed.

I'm just frustrated. Thanks for all of your help.

Not to disagree with the caution that others are advising, but I do know that MRSA is found in the nasal passages of many of us whether or not we have an infection. That may have been why the doctor said they could go out, since people are exposed to it all the time anyway.

My husband is a physician who actually studies MRSA in the lab, so I was interested to read this post. I will ask him what he thinks tomorrow. He is already in bed tonight.

Blessings,

Generally, people with MRSA aren't isolated from the community. Transmission is usually through skin-to-skin contact or from contaminated surfaces (typically towels or contaminated bandages). Wounds should be kept covered and infected people should wash their hands frequently. If you know someone is infected, wash your hands frequently and be careful not to touch anything contaminated with wound drainage.

Here is the CDC rec for MRSA and the workplace. Your friend's doctor is following accepted guidelines, assuming he/she told them to keep the wounds convered and use good hygiene.

MRSA is scary. :grouphug:

Not to disagree with the caution that others are advising, but I do know that MRSA is found in the nasal passages of many of us whether or not we have an infection. That may have been why the doctor said they could go out, since people are exposed to it all the time anyway.

My husband is a physician who actually studies MRSA in the lab, so I was interested to read this post. I will ask him what he thinks tomorrow. He is already in bed tonight.

This is true; prevalence varies widely depending on area and whether you're talking about people in the community or people in a health care setting. In the general population, prevalence is usually fairly low, less than 2% or so. In health care settings the prevalence can be very high- 30 to 40% (or higher) of patients may be colonized with MRSA. This means they carry it in their nasal passages, but don't have an active infection. Rates of colonization of *regular* (not methicillin resistant) staph is pretty high in the regular population, but it has been that way for many years.

Carriers can be contagious, but people with an active infection and drainage from a wound are more contagious than carriers.

our oldest DD was hospitalized due to MRSA. It took 3 different antibiotics to finally get one to work, and she had to have the area debrided (I think thats the right term) and packed. A home health nurse had to visit the house and clean and rebandage the wound. Luckily the rest of us didn't get it, but I did take precautions. You did the right thing

I haven't read all the other posts but I just wanted to respond. I work as an RN in a hospital.

When one of our pt's tests positive for MRSA (we screen all inpatients for it) they are placed on contact precautions. Anyone entering the room (even family) has to wear a gown and gloves. All supplies must be used only on that pt (stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, etc). We take MRSA very seriously b/c for someone who has serious medical problems it can make them very ill.

Being a carrier and having active lesions/infection are two very different things! We treat all carrier with a special pre-operative soap (chlorhexadine) and bactroban ointment. They have to shower every other day for a week (3 showers total) and use this ointment in their noses 2X a day for 10 days to get rid of it. Then they follow up with their doctors in 6 wks to make sure it is gone.

I would have done the exact same thing and I'm quite surprised that their doctor told them it was ok, especially since they have active skin lesions. That would be a big red flag for me, especially since children put everything in their mouths, so if infected child scratches his wound then touches a toy or book then child B comes along and touches it then scratches their eyes or rubs their nose, etc, you have a great opportunity for transmission and then they take it home and spread it the same way to the whole family, who then spread it to their classmates, teammates, co-workers, friends, etc. So before you know it one kid can make a lot of people sick! It is very sad to see people get very ill and hospitalized b/c one person didn't use common sense and do the right thing (even if it's not convenient or easy), KWIM?

Even if this turns out to not be MRSA, the fact that it is spreading around her family should be a clue that clearly it is contagious and they should stay home to keep from "sharing the wealth" so to speak.

Edited by Shadowwolf549

I'd put a call in to the local heath dept. and let them know about this (provide the doctor's name if you have it) and let them deal with it. The health dept. will want to find out if it is MRSA and if so did the doctor fully explain the seriousness of it to the family (they may have misheard him or chosen not to take it seriously). Really.

I haven't read all the other posts but I just wanted to respond. I work as an RN in a hospital.

When one of our pt's tests positive for MRSA (we screen all inpatients for it) they are placed on contact precautions. Anyone entering the room (even family) has to wear a gown and gloves. All supplies must be used only on that pt (stethoscope, blood pressure cuff, etc). We take MRSA very seriously b/c for someone who has serious medical problems it can make them very ill.

Being a carrier and having active lesions/infection are two very different things! We treat all carrier with a special pre-operative soap (chlorhexadine) and bactroban ointment. They have to shower every other day for a week (3 showers total) and use this ointment in their noses 2X a day for 10 days to get rid of it. Then they follow up with their doctors in 6 wks to make sure it is gone.

I would have done the exact same thing and I'm quite surprised that their doctor told them it was ok, especially since they have active skin lesions. That would be a big red flag for me, especially since children put everything in their mouths, so if infected child scratches his wound then touches a toy or book then child B comes along and touches it then scratches their eyes or rubs their nose, etc, you have a great opportunity for transmission and then they take it home and spread it the same way to the whole family, who then spread it to their classmates, teammates, co-workers, friends, etc. So before you know it one kid can make a lot of people sick! It is very sad to see people get very ill and hospitalized b/c one person didn't use common sense and do the right thing (even if it's not convenient or easy), KWIM?

Even if this turns out to not be MRSA, the fact that it is spreading around her family should be a clue that clearly it is contagious and they should stay home to keep from "sharing the wealth" so to speak.

I am an RN too, and this is our hospital's policy as well.

I'd put a call in to the local heath dept. and let them know about this (provide the doctor's name if you have it) and let them deal with it. The health dept. will want to find out if it is MRSA and if so did the doctor fully explain the seriousness of it to the family (they may have misheard him or chosen not to take it seriously). Really.

Or maybe she could put a bee in the bonnet of someone else who WILL do that. For me, it's hard to "turn in" a friend, but my sister will do it in a heart beat.

I agree, the Health Dept. would probably take quite an interest in this.

Or maybe she could put a bee in the bonnet of someone else who WILL do that. For me, it's hard to "turn in" a friend, but my sister will do it in a heart beat.

I agree, the Health Dept. would probably take quite an interest in this.

Why? The doctor is following accepted protocol. There is a big difference between how things are handled in the hospital vs. in the community.

The highest risk of transmission is in health care settings. In the community, the risk is much lower *IF* the wounds are covered and hygiene is good.

The current recommendations may change and become more strict, but right now, most physicians would probably not tell the family to stay home.

My stepddaughter had MRSA. It took a couple of months and a couple of different doctors before she was finally diagnosed. Her symptom was an occasional boil or sore that would need to be lanced. After she was diagnosed, I believe she went on antibiotics and was given a special body wash. We were told to wash all her laundry in hot water and to use bleach. We were never told that she shouldn't go to school or be kept out of any activities. No one else in our family contracted it.

Lisa

I don't think the health department would be interested in this case. It probably depends on the state but here in VA, MRSA is not even a reportable illness (meaning we do not have to inform the health dept if we see it.) The physician is follwing the standard protocol, even if you don't agree with it.

As a community physician, we see a lot of MRSA and probable MRSA. Most kids who have it have a minor skin infection that is easily treated. I am not dismissing that it can be very invasive or a serious illness...but the vast majority of cases are not. It is not the standard to recommend that people stay home or avoid all contact with others. It would make sense to stay away from those who are immunocompromised and to talk to patients about how to prevent spreading the infection. But usually a patient will be placed on antibiotics which will decrease the risk of spread as well. In the OP, it makes sense for the poster to stay away from the kids as she knows her own immune system is compromised. If I was asked by a patient if they could go to church the next day after being diagnosed with a skin infection, I might say yes, as long as the wound was covered. It would depend somewhat on the age of the child and where the wound was and whether or not it could be covered. Usually I advise about staying away from those who might be more susceptible due to poor immunity.

In a hospital, we treat it much more seriously as a spread within a hospital population can be much more serious. Patients in the hospital are sicker, often with compromised immune systems. It's very easy for a nurse or doctor to spread a bacteria like MRSA from one patient to another and in-hosptial outbreaks are a huge problem. So infectious control precautions are much much stricter in the hospital than they would be in a community setting.

These are the guidelines from the CDC for patients with MRSA. It is not typically recommended that a patient with MRSA stay home.

If I have a staph, or MRSA skin infection, what can I do to prevent others from getting infected?

You can prevent spreading staph or MRSA skin infections to others by following these steps:

1. Cover your wound. Keep wounds that are draining or have pus covered with clean, dry bandages until healed. Follow your healthcare provider's instructions on proper care of the wound. Pus from infected wounds can contain staph, including MRSA, so keeping the infection covered will help prevent the spread to others. Bandages and tape can be discarded with the regular trash.

2. Clean your hands. You, your family, and others in close contact should wash their hands frequently with soap and water or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer, especially after changing the bandage or touching the infected wound.

3. Do not share personal items. Avoid sharing personal items, such as towels, washcloths, razors, clothing, or uniforms, that may have had contact with the infected wound or bandage. Wash sheets, towels, and clothes that become soiled with water and laundry detergent. Use a dryer to dry clothes completely.

4. Talk to your doctor. Tell any healthcare providers who treat you that you have or had a staph or MRSA skin infection.

I would have turned around, too. I may be oversensitive to germs & illness though. I once didn't go to a function because a friend's child had lice and still let said child go to it.

That's not oversensitive. Lice isn't something people should be spreading around. My kids got them from a "friend" (who we don't talk to now) who was staying at our house, visited a friend she knew had lice, and brought them back to our house. It was horrific delousing six people and the house.

That's not oversensitive. Lice isn't something people should be spreading around. My kids got them from a "friend" (who we don't talk to now) who was staying at our house, visited a friend she knew had lice, and brought them back to our house. It was horrific delousing six people and the house.

Oh, I agree. I don't think I was oversensitive, but some friends thought so. I'm just not willing to stop my life and fight lice. Ugh.