Menu

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know a thing about "private swim clubs" - are they talking like, country club thing? Guys in pink polo shirts handing you fluffy embroidered towels?

I thought there were laws against this sort of thing..aha! I didn't see the 'related story' to the left.. update - now I see where you got the boarding school thing... *and* I see this:

The banning has caused so much controversy that U.S. Senator Arlen Specter (D-Pa.) plans to launch an investigation into the discrimination claim.

"The allegations against the swim club as they are reported are extremely disturbing," Specter said in a statement. "I am reaching out to the parties involved to ascertain the facts. Racial discrimination has no place in America today."

Ah the city of brotherly love...

How in the world can people still have those types of prejudices in this modern age??? It boggles my mind. Hopefully the bad publicity will be a pain equivalent to what they cause to others... (though I'm not sure you can get equivalent).

While not defending the (alleged) racial discrimination, I've got to say, if I paid for a private swim club and found 60 kids in the pool, I'd go home and the club would lose a member.

I mean, how big IS this pool? Can 60 kids in one pool even be safe?

Can 60 kids in one pool even be safe?

Last pool we swam at regularly had a maximum capacity of 120 people - on a weekend afternoon swim, it was often full. Mostly kids.

60 kids is like - two public school classes...I've seen several classes go swimming at once *lots* of times...

Plus, the club had already accepted money for those kids to be there.

That bit itself kinda tells something - they wouldn't have taken the money without knowing HOW MANY kids were in the group, since that would likely be how they would have calculated the cost.. so they likely were quite aware of the numbers.. they just didn't know the kids were black until they showed up to swim.

If it's the size of an average neighborhood pool here, yes, over 60 would definitely fit. Sounds like, tho, the parents were the ones who complained, seeing as the club spokesman gave the excuse, and I don't think his statement has been denied by him, that they changed the "complexion" of the pool. Yuck.

Plus, the club had already accepted money for those kids to be there.

Maybe I'm just being too naive. I still feel as though it HAD to be a matter of other club members complaining about the number of kids (with a few bigots thrown in), and the owner or whomever finding himself in a lose/lose situation.

One can hope. :confused:

Maybe I'm just being too naive. I still feel as though it HAD to be a matter of other club members complaining about the number of kids (with a few bigots thrown in), and the owner or whomever finding himself in a lose/lose situation.

I'm with you, Carrie. I would like to hear the entire statement made by the president of the club. It's quite possible that the club didn't realize they would get complaints about the sheer number of kids showing up at once. I know I would rethink my membership if 60 extra kids showed up at once and planned to do so regularly. Without knowing what the club is like/has been like in past years, it's hard to judge, but if this is the first time they've had a day camp join then that could be a shock to the families that have joined, regardless of color.

The statement made by the president was this...

"There was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion … and the atmosphere of the club," John Duesler, President of The Valley Swim Club said in a statement.

If it was simply a matter of too many people in the pool then he would have said something like, "oh we realized that there were going to be too many people in the pool at one time and members were complaining." If they has said that then it would never have made the news.

What he did say makes it clear that the problem was not just the numbers but that those particular kids were not acceptable. The complexion part was quite the Freudian slip. :glare:

Georgia

The statement made by the president was this...

"There was concern that a lot of kids would change the complexion … and the atmosphere of the club," John Duesler, President of The Valley Swim Club said in a statement.

If it was simply a matter of too many people in the pool then he would have said something like, "oh we realized that there were going to be too many people in the pool at one time and members were complaining." If they has said that then it would never have made the news.

What he did say makes it clear that the problem was not just the numbers but that those particular kids were not acceptable. The complexion part was quite the Freudian slip. :glare:

Georgia

Before he's vilified, I'd like to know what his entire statement was. From the ... , it looks like words are missing.

"When the minority children got in the pool all of the Caucasian children immediately exited the pool," Horace Gibson, parent of a day camp child, wrote in an email. "The pool attendants came and told the black children that they did not allow minorities in the club and needed the children to leave immediately."

I don't think you can really get any more straight out than that..

I know I would rethink my membership if 60 extra kids showed up at once and planned to do so regularly.

"Creative Steps Day Camp paid The Valley Swim Club more than $1900 for one day of swimming a week, "

It was just one day a week - not every afternoon or anything. :)

"When the minority children got in the pool all of the Caucasian children immediately exited the pool," Horace Gibson, parent of a day camp child, wrote in an email. "The pool attendants came and told the black children that they did not allow minorities in the club and needed the children to leave immediately."

I don't think you can really get any more straight out than that..

Was Horace there? Or is this 2nd or 3rd hand information that someone told him?

I can tell you from experience that racism is alive and well. I have two black daughters from adoption, and have faced it several times. There are things that happen, things that are said, that being caucasian you don't even notice until your racism radar is up. It's very sad to me.

Well, you can go on and on for pages about this, and knowing this board I'm sure that's what will happen. I think the bottom line is that it's too bad it happened but they have a right to keep their private pool private.

I grew up in a private country club atmosphere/mindset/neighborhood. No one joined that wasn't approved.

Yep, go ahead and holler about the kids' rights. Yeah, they have rights. Joining any club they want isn't one of them. If people want to be bigoted you aren't going to stop them by taking away their rights, you're just going to make them madder and more bitter and convince them they are right.

They obviously didn't want to keep it private, or they wouldn't have taken the daycare's money($1900) in the first place and arranged for the kids to come. It was only when they "SAW" the kids that it became a problem. Then they wanted to just give the daycare a refund and send them packing.

Edited by Blessedfamily

I can tell you from experience that racism is alive and well. I have two black daughters from adoption, and have faced it several times. There are things that happen, things that are said, that being caucasian you don't even notice until your racism radar is up. It's very sad to me.

My children are mine by adoption and also black. I can tell you of multiple occassions they were not allowed to participate in something due to their skin color. More than once it was assummed they "wandered in from the neighborhood" and didn't have appropriate chaperone even though I was standing right there. Suddenly when I point out in some manner that they are my kids, they are suddenly accepted although no apology is usually given. We have had people working in restaurants like McDonalds refuse to take orders (even though they are standing there in line with money in hand), we have had families tell us that their children can't play with them, church members suggest we send them to a different church "so everyone may be more comfortable", and so on.

The point about this article is that they were sent away because of their color. Every quote made by those involved at the club infers that the reason they sent the children away is because of their color first, then because of the large number of them.

They obviously didn't want to keep it private, or they wouldn't have taken the daycare's money in the first place and arranged for the kids to come. It was only when they "SAW" the kids that it became a problem. Then they wanted to just give the daycare a refund and send them packing.

Obviously. They do want it private and they are greedy. What they did was so far beyond rude/nasty/poisonous that it can't be defended. They can still do it if they want to. Lots of things suck and this is one of them. No use argueing it over and over and over and over and over.

I'm just not up to reading page after page (so I won't) about how none of us would ever do this and how awful it is and how someone should do something about it. They have the right to do this, they did it. Over. Walk away. Invite the kids to your house.

Obviously. They do want it private and they are greedy. What they did was so far beyond rude/nasty/poisonous that it can't be defended. They can still do it if they want to. Lots of things suck and this is one of them. No use argueing it over and over and over and over and over.

I'm just not up to reading page after page (so I won't) about how none of us would ever do this and how awful it is and how someone should do something about it. They have the right to do this, they did it. Over. Walk away. Invite the kids to your house.

I'm not going to argue over it either. I don't deal in tat for tat posting. My point is not whether it was right or wrong, or whether they have a right to do anything, and I made no such judgement. Did you read that in my statement? In actuality, you are the one who made a judgement about it, NOT ME.

I simply stated that privacy was NOT the issues as they accepted the chidlren's money ($1900) to come and allowed it.

You invite them to your house.

Edited by Blessedfamily

It is sad that in this day and age there are still stories like this out there. Did the club have a right to not accept the camp kids, yes, but they should have talked to there members first and then decide. Not wait until those poor kids showed up and then said "Sorry, we changed our minds." What they did was wrong. But sadly racism is not a one way street. This article shows that it can go the other way too.

http://www.ohio.com/news/top_stories/50172282.html

You have to scroll down a bit for the article to show.

Before he's vilified, I'd like to know what his entire statement was. From the ... , it looks like words are missing.

Oh, I personally am not trying to vilify him. It is a private club and all that. I don't think any "action" should be taken. And heck, I would not want to swim with 65 campers either. I would just skip that day though, lol.

But, they did take the money, they did agree to let the kids swim and then they did change their minds after seeing the kids. And the part of the statement that we saw anyway, appears to be aimed toward making it clear those are not the types of people they normally want in their club. Nor do they seem interested in clearing the air, at least based on the news clip I watched. The other stuff is all second hand, though it does appear to come from the children themselves.

Not that this has anything to do with it but, I would be proud to belong to a club that offered that opportunity to the day campers. Not so much the other way though.

Georgia

And we can also make sure we call it exactly what it is.

Georgia

They obviously didn't want to keep it private, or they wouldn't have taken the daycare's money($1900) in the first place and arranged for the kids to come. It was only when they "SAW" the kids that it became a problem. Then they wanted to just give the daycare a refund and send them packing.

Was the daycare forthcoming about the kids' skin color? especially if they might have already KNOWN about the club's policy?

and if we're going to villify a private club for excluding black children, can we villify the private black organizations that exclude white children?

i'm game for doing both.

They have the right to do this, they did it. Over. Walk away.

If everyone just "walked away" from things like this...how would anything ever change? :(

I'm nowhere near Philadelphia - not even the same country, never mind state or city - so I can't actually *do* a whole lot. I figured, at least I can pass this on via forums & such and make people aware of what happened -- and actually, when I googled the club's site, I was also thinking I'd email them with my thoughts on their actions and what kind of image it gives their business, but the site is down.

They did a hideous thing, and the more people who know that this facility carries that kind of attitude and condones those kind of actions, the better.

Was the daycare forthcoming about the kids' skin color? especially if they might have already KNOWN about the club's policy?

and if we're going to villify a private club for excluding black children, can we villify the private black organizations that exclude white children?

i'm game for doing both.

I have no idea. What policy was there for the daycare to know about? The article said it was a "private club with open membership".

Again. All I stated was that privacy wasn't the issue and it wasn't. If you wanted to keep a club private you don't take large sums of money from groups to come. I don't have anything to add to thread other than that.

Umm... I don't know about you, but when I did childcare in the past, it would NEVER have occured to me to say, upon making arrangements for some type of activity, "oh and by the way, the ethnicity of the children is _____, will that be a problem for anyone?" ...... :001_huh:

And DOES the club have an actual policy that states "no ____ people may use the pool" or something? I doubt very much that it would have been published in their brochures or posted on the Pool Rules sign. :glare:

(not that I agree with a policy like that anyway.)

(besides - even if they have an 'unwritten' policy, do they REALLY think that there is nobody in their club who has any scrap of ____ blood in their body? Pah, what's their unwritten rule anyway... 50% is acceptable? 25%? What if Great Granny Ida Mae was 1/8th African -- three of the four grandkids are blond & blue, the fourth got the curly black hair and darker pigment. Uh oh, we can only have 3 of the 4 come swimming?)

I have no idea. What policy was there for the daycare to know about? The article said it was a "private club with open membership".

Again. All I stated was that privacy wasn't the issue and it wasn't. If you wanted to keep a club private you don't take large sums of money from groups to come. I don't have anything to add to thread other than that.

but has anyone examined the club's policies?

The BSA has "open membership" too but still some specific rules about just "how open" that is.

and since there are all kinds of people that are just itching to "set up" private organizations to "out" the bigotry, I'll reserve comment till we know more.

For once.

And also, it is not illegal for private clubs to discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion or any other reason when it comes to who can use or not use their facilities. I'm not saying it's morally right, but it's not illegal, regardless of what Arlen Specter says.

Terri

Umm... I don't know about you, but when I did childcare in the past, it would NEVER have occured to me to say, upon making arrangements for some type of activity, "oh and by the way, the ethnicity of the children is _____, will that be a problem for anyone?" ...... :001_huh:

me neither. but if i knew a club HAD such a policy [written or not] it would be pretty crass of me to put kids through a publicity stunt.

And DOES the club have an actual policy that states "no ____ people may use the pool" or something? I doubt very much that it would have been published in their brochures or posted on the Pool Rules sign. :glare:

(not that I agree with a policy like that anyway.)

(besides - even if they have an 'unwritten' policy, do they REALLY think that there is nobody in their club who has any scrap of ____ blood in their body? Pah, what's their unwritten rule anyway... 50% is acceptable? 25%? What if Great Granny Ida Mae was 1/8th African -- three of the four grandkids are blond & blue, the fourth got the curly black hair and darker pigment. Uh oh, we can only have 3 of the 4 come swimming?)

I agree those are valid questions in how they choose to enforce their policy if i was to join. but it still boils down to their pool, their rules.

but has anyone examined the club's policies?

The BSA has "open membership" too but still some specific rules about just "how open" that is.

and since there are all kinds of people that are just itching to "set up" private organizations to "out" the bigotry, I'll reserve comment till we know more.

No problem.

And I'll reserve judgement as to whether the daycare "wasn't forthcoming" about kids' color despite knowing of some policy against other races that may or may not be written in anything they had access to. (If, indeed that is even their policy)

I agree those are valid questions in how they choose to enforce their policy if i was to join. but it still boils down to their pool, their rules.

Y'know... I'm wondering if our laws might be different up here. I'll try to look that up later (have to get some breakfast done up for the kids, it's 8am here)... because I think they might be. I know we have some "hate laws" here that might come into play.

and ftr, they did refund the money per the article:

The next day the club told the camp director that the camp's membership was being suspended and their money would be refunded.

No problem.

And I'll reserve judgement as to whether the daycare "wasn't forthcoming" about kids' color despite knowing of some policy against other races that may or may not be written in anything they had access to. (If, indeed that is even their policy)

I agree. i think it would be wise to get the full story --from all angles-- before commenting on less than half a story.

Oh that's alive and well...in NJ we decided not to join a swim club because it was extremely "vanilla" and this was not the message we wanted to give to our son as our township was well mixed....our "vanilla" neighbors sure turned cold on us when we turned down their special membership invitation which was accompanied by a "pre-vetted" application form.

Absolutely. Anyone well behaved welcomed. My own private prejudice is against ill behaved children, no matter what color.

Well then, we have that in common, though I am trying to be more understanding and patient on that score. Especially now that I have my own kids, one of whom requires quite a firm hand. :001_huh:

Please...., no "spanking" thread spin-offs. I didn't say I do it, I didn't say I don't.

Oh that's alive and well...in NJ we decided not to join a swim club because it was extremely "vanilla" and this was not the message we wanted to give to our son as our township was well mixed....our "vanilla" neighbors sure turned cold on us when we turned down their special membership invitation which was accompanied by a "pre-vetted" application form.

I know this is slightly off-topic, but is "vanilla" in and of itself a bit of a slur? I've always felt it to be a bit of reverse-discrimination...as though because someone's skin is white they must be low-life racist scum. When "chocolate" is used to describe someone with dark skin(or a neighborhood, or a group of kids), it's often viewed as having a negative connotation. Is "vanilla" different somehow? It seems pretty far away from the idea of "being judged by the content of someone's character and not the color of their skin" to use terms like that, but I really, truly am asking sincerely because I could be wrong. I've just always wondered about when people use terms like that in their description. It doesn't seem to build the type of unity they say they desire.

Edited by Julie in CA
As always, grammatical problems {sigh...}

I know this is slightly off-topic, but is "vanilla" in and of itself a bit of a slur? I've always felt it to be a bit of reverse-discrimination...as though because someone's skin is white they must be low-life racist scum. When "chocolate" is used to describe someone with dark skin, it's often viewed as having a negative connotation. Is "vanilla" different somehow? It seems pretty far away from the idea of "being judged by the content of someone's character and not the color of their skin" to use terms like that, but I really, truly am asking sincerely because I could be wrong. I've just always wondered about when people use terms like that in their description. It doesn't seem to build the type of unity they say they desire.

I happen to personally like the chocolate and vanilla descriptions, but then, i like both chocolate and vanilla ice cream. :D

i don't think being visually, factually, creatively descriptive of a person's skin color is by default judging them.

Even if I am pasty white when i haven't tanned yet ;D

I happen to personally like the chocolate and vanilla descriptions, but then, i like both chocolate and vanilla ice cream. :D

i don't think being visually, factually, creatively descriptive of a person's skin color is by default judging them.

Even if I am pasty white when i haven't tanned yet ;D

Actually, I like those terms as descriptive words, but complaining about discrimination and then describing an entire neighborhood where some people were racists as way too "vanilla" had me wondering if the term was now derogatory. I know if I went to my city council meeting, stood up in front of the crowd, and described a neighborhood as way too "chocolate", I would be castigated. It had me wondering about Anne's meaning when she used the term, and really, the term in general, if it's derogatory, or really pretty much ok.

I can't speak for every case, but in the AA community, when you refer to someone as "chocolate" it's usually associated with lust. :tongue_smilie: Seriously.

:D Yeah, which I think is overall a *positive* thing! (within the right context, of course!)

...but if someone were talking about a neighborhood that was declining, for instance, and then said that it was "way too chocolate", would that be a derogatory term when used that way?

My first reaction (I haven't read the article.) is that if this private club has any form of government oversight--is it a 501©(3), for example--then it is subject to antidiscriminatory laws. By denying access, private club or not, because of race, it risks losing its tax-favored status.

Am I right?