Menu

Serving virgin drinks at a children's sports event

Hi all,

I'd love some feedback on this issue. Our swim team is having a bbq tonight, and then an adult fundraiser tomorrow evening. I received this email yesterday-

As a special promo for Saturday night's MardiGras Auction Dinner Dance

the Team will be offering JUNIOR Daquiris at the Pasta Potluck.

For $1 each these alcohol-free strawberry frozen drinks are sure to please the kids

(and tease the adults with what they have to look forward to Saturday night!)

Am I right to be bothered by this?

ETA- Good news! I emailed our team president about this and she agreed that it was a bad call. They will be calling them some alternative name instead. Thanks for the input!

Edited by Shannon831

Hi all,

I'd love some feedback on this issue. Our swim team is having a bbq tonight, and then an adult fundraiser tomorrow evening. I received this email yesterday-

As a special promo for Saturday night's MardiGras Auction Dinner Dance

the Team will be offering JUNIOR Daquiris at the Pasta Potluck.

For $1 each these alcohol-free strawberry frozen drinks are sure to please the kids

(and tease the adults with what they have to look forward to Saturday night!)

Am I right to be bothered by this?

Where is the dinner? If it is at a place that usually serves frozen drinks that go by a given name, I would think it would be normal to call them by that name. No, it would not bother me. I see a difference in a smoothie (uses real fruit/has nutritional benefit) and a daquiri (usually a mix with no real nutritional benefit).

Where is the dinner? If it is at a place that usually serves frozen drinks that go by a given name, I would think it would be normal to call them by that name. No, it would not bother me. I see a difference in a smoothie (uses real fruit/has nutritional benefit) and a daquiri (usually a mix with no real nutritional benefit).

It's being held at the pool. I was thinking that they could call it a slushie.

I think it's weird. Better to call it a smoothie/slushie/frozen juice or whatever than suggest it's cocktail hour, which I guess the adults will be having, so maybe this is all about raising them up to become just like adults. In which case perhaps faux-cigars should be distributed as well.

Yes, it would bother me. I don't want my children served daquiries of any kind. Why couldn't they just call them smoothies - and exactly what kind of party are the adults having?

It's an auction and dinner party (including alcohol apparently). The tickets to get in are $90 a couple. Dh and I aren't going. Not because of the alcohol, but because after spending $400 a kid for the team plus snack bar donation "requests" (6 per family) and 20 hours of required volunteering, I'm DONE!

Personally I would be more upset about calling it Mardi Gras (The Tuesday before Ash Wednesday) maybe it is my Catholic roots showing. In the summer I use the strawberry mix and ice for drinks for the kids. I don't feel it is promoting drinking. My son (13) would be mortified by the virgin part though. He is so easily embarrassed by that kind of thing right now. :lol:

Personally I would be more upset about calling it Mardi Gras (The Tuesday before Ash Wednesday) maybe it is my Catholic roots showing. In the summer I use the strawberry mix and ice for drinks for the kids. I don't feel it is promoting drinking. My son (13) would be mortified by the virgin part though. He is so easily embarrassed by that kind of thing right now. :lol:

We live in the most unchurched county in the country. Mardi Gras means PARTY.

Are you offended because you value Mardi Gras or because of the Fat Tuesday theme of getting all your sinning done before Ash Wednesday? I ask because we lived in New Orleans for awhile and it was universally celebrated (not in the trashy way, but in the family holiday way) by Catholics, Christians and all others alike.

I am not offended by you! It would bother me a little because I am from cajun country and for us it was a religious/family holiday. If I was apart of the committee I probably would have said something. It is something I would not be deeply offended by because I do realize it is out of ignorance and I am sure I make many, many ignorant mistakes everyday. I try not to get upset over the little things which is why the drink would not bother me.

We are not a family that drinks. My mil and fil were alcoholics and my dh doesn't want it in our home at all. We don't think alcoholic drinks are sinful (like friends of ours do) we just think they are unnecessary. We don't order virgin drinks for our kids when we are in restaurants, or mock drinks that are made to look like the real thing because we don't want our children to think one is ok by association with the other. If that makes sense. I would be bothered if my child was being asked to buy a drink with the same name as an adult drink with alcohol. I would not support it.

It would bug me. Not because I think alcohol is sinful or immoral but because I think alcohol is something for adults, not kids. Even if the drinks are alochol free they are still be promoted by the alcoholic drinks name. It's what they are calling it that would bother me, not the fact that they are serving it. I think that a more proper name could have been found.

It would bug me. Not because I think alcohol is sinful or immoral but because I think alcohol is something for adults, not kids. Even if the drinks are alochol free they are still be promoted by the alcoholic drinks name. It's what they are calling it that would bother me, not the fact that they are serving it. I think that a more proper name could have been found.

That is exactly my problem with it. I decided to email the team president about this. We won't be there tonight because of a previous engagement, so I'll have to find out what they end up doing after the fact.

We don't order virgin drinks for our kids when we are in restaurants, or mock drinks that are made to look like the real thing because we don't want our children to think one is ok by association with the other. If that makes sense. I would be bothered if my child was being asked to buy a drink with the same name as an adult drink with alcohol. I would not support it.

:iagree:

Maybe they can rename it something silly that would go with the team name. What is the team mascot, maybe we can come up with something clever you can suggest they substitute it with.

I am fairly liberal with this type of thing and I agree that it is inappropriate. This is why most restaurants have renamed the kids drinks :0) This is about as appropriate as serving 'virgin wine' and serving grape juice.

I don't have a problem with a voluntary fundraiser for the parents to serve alcohol.

I am very, very happy to be off of a swim team that did constant fundraisers! They were always asking for something. The team we are on now is privately owned and we give the coach (owner) $75 every six months and do No fundraisers. He says we can make up our own if we want to fund raise to pay the buy out. :lol: Gotta love a guys simplicity! .:D No prize box (we motivate our own kids), no pizza parties (if we want to get together, we do), no 'team equipment' (each person owns their own) etc. Best of all.....no drama about who is doing their share :D:D:D

It's an auction and dinner party (including alcohol apparently). The tickets to get in are $90 a couple. Dh and I aren't going. Not because of the alcohol, but because after spending $400 a kid for the team plus snack bar donation "requests" (6 per family) and 20 hours of required volunteering, I'm DONE!

Good Grief - I never knew swim teams were so costly! :glare:

No wonder you are DONE! Enjoy your summer!

I don't have a problem with "virgin" drinks and kids (though I wouldn't pay the price for them!) but, again, that could be b/c I grew up in a bar-owning family.

Still, I do NOT think it's appropriate to do/serve at a youth organization event. I'm smart enough to understand that not everyone sees things the way I do.