Menu

UK recommends against teaching 'i before e' spelling rule

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/education/8110573.stm

The spelling mantra "i before e except after c" is no longer worth teaching, according to the government.

Advice sent to teachers says there are too few words which follow the rule and recommends using more modern methods to teach spelling to schoolchildren.

I totally agree! I haven't listened to the report. But I see words spelled incorrectly all the time thanks, I think, to the way we drill that rule into kids heads in this country. The two biggest culprits are foreign and weird. I almost never see either of those two words spelled correctly. People always put the "i" first. Honestly, I feel like the best way to learn to spell is to read a lot and to read a wide variety genres.

I didn't even know that the rest of the rule was "when it makes an EE sound." I think people see any word (weird, veil) and get confused.

My biggest pet peeve is the new trend of making a plural with an apostrophe, but that is another matter....

I've seen it as "I before E except after C, or when pronounced like an A, as in neighbor and weigh." The whole rhyme makes a lot more phonics sense than just the short version usually taught.

Spalding teaches the whole rule. And it *IS* useful, no matter what any government says.:tongue_smilie:

That is what I learned. It seems to work just fine for U.S. usage.

I've seen it as "I before E except after C, or when pronounced like an A, as in neighbor and weigh." The whole rhyme makes a lot more phonics sense than just the short version usually taught.

The spelling mantra "i before e except after c" is no longer worth teaching, according to the government.

Advice sent to teachers says there are too few words which follow the rule and recommends using more modern methods to teach spelling to schoolchildren.

Mmmhmm... and am I supposed to care what a public school teacher has to recommend? :tongue_smilie:

Just curious.... what are the "more modern methods"? Do they follow general texting guidelines?????:lol::lol:

It's mentioned in the article I linked to.

Part of the answer:

"There are so few words where the ei spelling for the ee sounds follows the letter c that it is easier to learn the specific words." These include receive, ceiling, perceive and deceit.

It's mentioned in the article I linked to.

Part of the answer:

"There are so few words where the ei spelling for the ee sounds follows the letter c that it is easier to learn the specific words." These include receive, ceiling, perceive and deceit.

But that isn't the ie or ei confusion. The "rule" is about what order, not if you use ei or ee!

:confused:

I like the funny sentences in SWR about the exceptions to "i before e".

Have you read the comments at the end of the article? People wrote the spelling rules they remember from childhood. There are some great rules there!

I don't take the educational recommendations from the British government too seriously, and I think I'll ignore this one too. I keep finding myself shaking my head when I read articles like this.

Here's AVKO's version, with explanations.

Use i before e

Except after c

Or when sounded as "EYE" or "AY"

as in Einstein and weigh.

Neither, weird, foreign, leisure,

Seize, forfeit, and height

Are Exceptions spelled right

But don't let the C-I-E-N words get you uptight!

I don't take the educational recommendations from the British government too seriously, and I think I'll ignore this one too. I keep finding myself shaking my head when I read articles like this.

:iagree:

And as for the comment at the end of the article

He added that it would be helpful if spelling was allowed to evolve.

:001_huh::blink::ohmy:

Seeing as governments normally have educational standards or even curricula, I don't see anything wrong with suggestions about what should be taught. It wasn't as if the same government officials decided not to worry about national security, but instead spend the whole day worried about spelling rules, so that's a bit extreme.

I have no problem with ie/ei words, myself, so I don't want to start writing "wierd" or "nieghbor" (it was hard for me to even type them!), but I don't understand abject horror about the evolution of spelling -- languages do change....Do you write "olde"?

I didn't even know that the rest of the rule was "when it makes an EE sound." I think people see any word (weird, veil) and get confused.

My biggest pet peeve is the new trend of making a plural with an apostrophe, but that is another matter....

Spalding teaches the whole rule. And it *IS* useful, no matter what any government says.:tongue_smilie:

How to Teach Spelling teaches it all too... but from what I can tell wierd would be considered an exception. Odd spellings due to different language influences will come up in later grades, maybe it is in there. Edit: ROFLOL! I spelled it wrong in this post. I couldn't correct it, that's just too good.

Here's AVKO's version, with explanations.

Awesome Moira!

Edited by Lovedtodeath

The problem with the i before e rule is that if you use it you'll never be able to spell the word weird.

And weird is a very important word.

I use the i before e rule all the time both for myself and with my kids, but I have no problems remembering how to spell weird or foreign. If a rule generally holds true, I think it's easier to memorize the rulebreakers than forego learning the rule. JMO.

I use the i before e rule all the time both for myself and with my kids, but I have no problems remembering how to spell weird or foreign. If a rule generally holds true, I think it's easier to memorize the rulebreakers than forego learning the rule. JMO.

:lol: If only people would spell correctly, we'd have a lot more colour and flavour in the English language.
I had an interesting discussion the other day about why "central" and "centric" are not spelled "centeral" and "centeric" in the US. We do both British and US spelling for most common words because she reads so much British children's lit that it was bubbling up spontaneously in her spelling. I'm Canadian, but haven't brought up Canadian spelling except to say it's a bit of both.