Menu

I'd have done the same. The grass I could have let go, but the pool is a health hazard.

:iagree:about the mosquito hazard.

I have a soft spot for people with financial difficulties, though. (and that may even be why the house was for sale -- as well as why it was FSBO, rather than through a real estate company) We have no money for yard work, and easily are located by arriving guests because we have "the ugliest yard on the block."

Not sure, but I might have tried to contact the owners before calling the city. Again, not because of the grass, but because of the pool problem. They could (and should, I guess -- not being a pool owner) drain the pool and leave it dry.

As someone who recently lost their house to foreclosure, I feel for them and understand.

Calling is not a big deal - either the county will do something about it or not. If they do, the county will put a lien on the property for the costs and whoever ends up owning the house (buyer or bank) will have to pay it.

It isn't your fault that they are having financial problems, but when a family ends up in this situation they tend to focus on their family and don't think about the neighbors. The thought of being homeless is generally higher on their mind than keeping the grass cut.

I had the exact same situation with a neighbor who moved for a much higher paying job (not financial difficulties). It was different, though, because they had an agent. I called the agent, who contacted them out of town. They sent someone to burn the grass to control weeds, and drain the "pond".

If that hadn't worked, I would have contacted our strict HOA next. In your case, though, I don't think you had too many choices. It's unfortunate, but you can't have a health hazard next door.

A bit of background: the couple (in their 30's, with 3 children 12<) bought the house and 2 acres next door to us about three years ago. They have always kept the house looking ok, lawn mowed and everything. My dc have played with theirs and I've exchanged pleasantries with the Mom, but we are not what you would call friends. The house went on the market FSBO back in January and about the same time, the owners just stopped taking care of it. Come spring, the yard is a weedy mess, the in-ground pool a mosquito farm. The family moved out of the house about six weeks ago but had been coming back to mow the grass. Lately, they've been MIA except to pick up mail once or twice a week.

I suspect some financial difficulties, but don't know for sure. This morning I finally got fed up with the way the property looked and the buggy pool and called the city to complain. I have no idea if the family still owns the house, if it is in foreclosure, or what. Now I am embarrased about notifying the city before calling the owners .... but what authority do I have to tell them to come cut the grass???!!??? Aarrgh. WWYD?

I don't know if you are a "bad neighbor".

All I can say is that we *are* that family. Due to circumstances that casually aquaintanted neighbors would not know, we have not been able to take care of our home adequately.

That doesn't make my exterior house neat, clean or a less of a hazard or nuisance. I don't blame anyone who would call but added stress sure isn't welcome.

They could (and should, I guess -- not being a pool owner) drain the pool and leave it dry.
Very few pools can be drained without damaging the pool. Pools with a liner typically get wringles and/or tears when drained. Concrete or fiberglass pools can float out of the ground if drained and the water table in the area rises due to rain.

Public pools that are drained in winter typically have special pumping or drainage systems in the ground around the pool to prevent the water table from lifting the pool out of the ground.

I would never have called the city without trying to contact them first. If they really are a fairly decent family, possibly going through financial difficulties, forclosure, etc, official notice from the city will probably add stress to their already stressful situation. I would have given them the benefit of the doubt, and would have left a note on their door, asking them to please take care of the yard and especially the pool, because mosquitos can be such a health hazard.

I don't think what you did was wrong, just not maybe the kindest possible way of dealing with the situation. It sounds a little bit like using a bulldozer when you could have used a hand trowel. Either way, I hope it gets straightened out, because that pool situation would freak me out. :001_huh:

In our area, we would call the Health Department. A vacant home with an unkempt lawn could easily attract unwelcome "guests" who could break in and decide to stay, or to have some wild parties.

A mosquito-ridden pool is a health hazard, and if the grass and shrubs get out of hand, and if there is any trash lying around anywhere, other problems could develop -- like rats.

Aside from that, if the house is poorly maintained, it will lose value, and so will your house.

I'm sorry for anyone who is having financial difficulty, but I don't see any reason why these people, if they still own the home, couldn't pick up an old push-mower at a garage sale and cut the grass. They don't have to re-landscape the place, just keep it from looking vacant and abandoned.

It sounds like they may have skipped out on the house and the mortgage, though, so I think you did the right thing by contacting the authorities. Hopefully, they will be able to contact the bank that (probably) owns the house, and they will send someone to check it out and have things cleaned up.

I don't know about your town, but contacting the health department is the easiest way to ensure that something is done about the mosquito problems. If you see any rats or other animals in the yard, be sure to mention that as well.

Personally, I think you did the right thing, Shari. If the people were still living in the house or stopping by on a regular basis, I would have suggested that you speak with them to see what was going on, but it sounds like they may be long gone.

Cat

I would have called, definitely. And it's pretty unlikely that I would have spoken to them first, even if I happened to see them.

First of all, it's not like they don't know they aren't mowing the grass, etc. Second of all, if they are extenuating circumstances, I'd consider it their place to come to me, not my place to go to them.

When you (the generic you) break the 'neighbor rules' it's your job to clear it with the neighbors. So, if you're going to have a loud party, but it's a one-time deal, you need to come and tell me that and ask for some leeway.

Likewise, if you are having rough times and truly can't stay on top of your property, you need to come and tell me that and ask for some leeway. If I know these things, I can be more patient and helpful. For instance, it wouldn't be a big deal to mow my neighbor's front yard if it's getting out of hand, but I need a reason and permission to do that. I'd also be open to spending an afternoon helping you close down the pool or whatnot; it's certainly better than living next door to a mosquito farm!

So, in your case, absolutely, I'd call code enforcement. As many times as needed.

I don't know if you are a "bad neighbor".

All I can say is that we *are* that family. Due to circumstances that casually aquaintanted neighbors would not know, we have not been able to take care of our home adequately.

That doesn't make my exterior house neat, clean or a less of a hazard or nuisance. I don't blame anyone who would call but added stress sure isn't welcome.

:iagree:When you get more than one prop. It is extremely difficult to take care of the other. And vice versa. I always wish a neighbor would step in and offer help, if possible.

Depends on your definition of neighbor. For some that means the adjacent property owner.

For us, our neighbors are those people living around us. We talk, we know each other, we try to be considerate, helpful and polite. Neighbor across the street is going through tough times, here, I just finished taking his trash to the dump, he cut and ran. Nobody's planning on turning him in, we split his cats, he left a key and later I'm going to clean out his fridge. Here, that's what neighbors do, they help eachother, even after one's moved.

Of course, if you're talking about an adjacent property owner, then, by all means, call and complain a blue streak. After all, you have your property value to worry about and it's not your responsibility to go to the health/agriculture dept and get some mosquito discs to toss in the pool.

As someone who recently lost their house to foreclosure, I feel for them and understand.

Calling is not a big deal - either the county will do something about it or not. If they do, the county will put a lien on the property for the costs and whoever ends up owning the house (buyer or bank) will have to pay it.

It isn't your fault that they are having financial problems, but when a family ends up in this situation they tend to focus on their family and don't think about the neighbors. The thought of being homeless is generally higher on their mind than keeping the grass cut.

IOW, it's not going to make any difference, one more problem, one more drop in the bucket, ah well, just toss it in the complaint box, we'll get back to you when we get a chance.... btdt

I'm sorry you're going through this.

Does anyone consider cutting the grass for the neighbor?

I think that might be my first choice. We've 'secretly' cut grass for neighbors before...if it helps sell the house, then I get new neighbors faster. Of if we know a neighbor is on vacation, we might give their yard a quick buzz when we do ours...it makes the home look more lived in and less of a target for burglars. Everyone in the neighborhood wins. To be honest, I'd much rather mow than vacuum, so take all this with a grain of salt. ;)

A few mosquito dunks would help the pool situation, but I fear that is only a band-aid. Because of the pool, I'd be more likely to call an authority.

I would never have called the city without trying to contact them first. If they really are a fairly decent family, possibly going through financial difficulties, forclosure, etc, official notice from the city will probably add stress to their already stressful situation. I would have given them the benefit of the doubt, and would have left a note on their door, asking them to please take care of the yard and especially the pool, because mosquitos can be such a health hazard.

I don't think what you did was wrong, just not maybe the kindest possible way of dealing with the situation. It sounds a little bit like using a bulldozer when you could have used a hand trowel. Either way, I hope it gets straightened out, because that pool situation would freak me out. :001_huh:

:iagree: My first response is always old fashioned conversation. A note or two. Then, yes, I would call. I'd also go and dump some bleach in that pool (I think that kills mosquitos).

I bet they are going into forclosure and have given up. You may find that they don't even own the house but a bank or company does. We have a house down the street with a TREE lying across it (nice area too). Nothing is happening... but house has been empty for many months. I think a bank owns it by now.

My neighbor drives his truck through my yard when his driveway is blocked. Such a nice guy. His dog attacks my pot belly pig. Nice guy. I called the police on the attack & we planted cypress trees to train him to use his own driveway. So stupid & a bum.

I hope you get something done with their house b/c it will invite trouble bigger than mosquitos!

Could the people in the neighborhood pool together and buy the house? The get rid of the burden & resale the house. I have seen this happen in our area to keep the neighborhood from going to the dogs & control riff-raff that aggregate to abandoned houses.

I don't think you are a bad neighbor. I would have done exactly the same thing.

My neighbor (the wife) has not acknowledged my existence since she moved in over 2 years ago. Not sure why.

This same neighbor had her property sprayed for mosquitos. I couldn't figure out what the noise was and why did my house stink. If she had the courtesy to tell me I would have made sure my windows were all shut. As it was I had to call the town to find out what was being sprayed.

I think your neighbor should have come over to you and told you they were leaving their house and might not be keeping up with the lawn/pool, etc.

Does anyone consider cutting the grass for the neighbor?

I think that might be my first choice. We've 'secretly' cut grass for neighbors before...if it helps sell the house, then I get new neighbors faster. Of if we know a neighbor is on vacation, we might give their yard a quick buzz when we do ours...it makes the home look more lived in and less of a target for burglars. Everyone in the neighborhood wins. To be honest, I'd much rather mow than vacuum, so take all this with a grain of salt. ;)

A few mosquito dunks would help the pool situation, but I fear that is only a band-aid. Because of the pool, I'd be more likely to call an authority.

When I was a kid, this is what the neighbors did for one house. The people got divorced and left the house. The grass and weeds grew and grew until you could hardly see the house! One Saturday the neighbors got together and cleaned up the yard and after that took turns cutting the grass. It wasn't a big deal and got rid of the nuisance.

I think it depends on the neighbors and the situation. If you didn't know how to contact them, then the city is fine. Apparently they have all but abandoned the house. I understand being close to foreclosure and all that, we have been there. But we also had friends we could call to help out and help up keep the property looking decent. If it is in foreclosues, maybe the bank can do something about it. Mosquitos are bad, but I can imagine they have other unwanted guests like snakes over there too.

I have called the city on neighbors, sometimes annonymously. A warning form from the city sometimes can be the best way to handle it and remain neighbors. I have also mowed lawns and cleaned up yards of neighbors. I think it depends on too many factors to make a blanket decision here.

I guess you could also say it was not neighborly for them to walk away and leave their property a mess. It's a no win :glare:

:iagree:

Glad to hear the city rep responded so quickly, Shari!

I think it may be a different situation when the neighbors are even remotely close friends, but it sounds like you were on more of a "wave as you drive by" level with these people, and I think you did the right thing under the circumstances. They disappeared, and it's not your responsibility to try and locate them. It's not as though they stopped by your house and told you what was going on.

If the property still belongs to them, they have a responsibility to maintain it; if the bank now owns it, they should have to maintain it, but I can't imagine how you and your neighbors would have any responsibility to care for someone else's property -- and I would be concerned about the liability issues, too.

Cat

Thanks for the responses. My call to code enforcement had a city rep at the property within two hours. We'll see if anything is done. I am hoping that a call or letter to the owners from someone with authority will add some umph to the clean up request.

I also appreciate the opinions about being neighborly etc. However, if we went over there and something were to happen with the yard, house, or pool then technically we would be trespassing and open ourselves up legally (liability and such). I guess you could also say it was not neighborly for them to walk away and leave their property a mess. It's a no win :glare:

It sounds like you did the only thing you could do.:grouphug:

I hope the city does something besides just sending a letter - it isn't likely to get the response you need if they are in dire financial straits.

I was just watching our governor on a PBS show earlier and a man called in to complain about the foreclosed properties in his area being an eyesore. Gov. O'Malley said, in a nutshell: the people who own the property are still liable to keep it up. If that's the bank, they are, too. If it's a health/safety concern, you should definitely call the county. (which would certainly be the case here, where we keep hearing on the news about emptying standing water, etc.) If it's just ugly, it might be a good idea for neighbors to take turns mowing the grass because the local jurisdictions are rather swamped with these sorts of things.

So, there you go. My governor doesn't think you're a bad neighbor. ;)

:iagree:You said this much nicer than I could have. Personally, if I even thought that this family was going through some kind of hardship I would not have compounded it by calling the authorities on them. I think this probably could have been dealt with better.