Menu

I just dyed DD's hair blue!

DD is leaving on Friday to spend a month at my mom's in small-town Texas. In preparation, I bought her a set of her own suitcases on Sunday, and today we dyed her hair blue.

Now we just have the "grandma's house, grandma's rules" and "how to behave in church" discussions.:D

DD is leaving on Friday to spend a month at my mom's in small-town Texas. In preparation, I bought her a set of her own suitcases on Sunday, and today we dyed her hair blue.

Now we just have the "grandma's house, grandma's rules" and "how to behave in church" discussions.:D

:confused:

The blue hair was DD's idea. And she's been begging to go visit her grandma for months. Her only disappointment at this point is that her aunt is driving out to get her, and she doesn't get to fly.

The blue hair was DD's idea. And she's been begging to go visit her grandma for months. Her only disappointment at this point is that her aunt is driving out to get her, and she doesn't get to fly.

Aaaah now I get it. The blue is a funky fun thing. That is cool!

Tell her that a 'road trip' with an auntie can be very cool too! :auto:

Does your mom have a good sense of humor? My parents wouldn't take it well if one of the grandkids showed up with blue hair...they are very square KWIM? My mother would drag the poor child to a hair salon and attempt to turn it back to "normal" which would probably result in tears and mud colored hair.

Why intentionally stick a thumb in your mother's eye?

What are you proving?

This strikes me as a very unkind act, unless she would be "cool with it" and it doesn't sound like that's the case.

If you and your daughter wanted her to have blue hair you could easily have waited until she returned from her trip. You obviously have "issues" but using your child to gore your mother is very immature.

Bill

What are you proving?

This strikes me as a very unkind act, unless she would be "cool with it" and it doesn't sound like that's the case.

If you and your daughter wanted her to have blue hair you could easily have waited until she returned from her trip. You obviously have "issues" but using your child to gore your mother is very immature.

Bill

:iagree: Well stated.

What are you proving?

Bill

I have to agree. My teenage son dyed a stripe of his hair blue earlier this year. You cannot imagine how offended a few people in his life were. His homeschool baseball director was one of them.

I wasn't prepared for it. And it got ugly before it got over with. He is leaving for a summer long mission trip overseas next week. We've worked to minimize what's left of the blue streak before he leaves. He can do what he wants with his hair when he comes home.

Edited to add....small town Texas can be pretty darn conservative. I hope all this doesn't back fire on your dd.

I have a dd who has had hair every color under the sun (almost) plus a blue mohawk. Obviously, we don't have issues with hair color. However, if she were going to visit an older, more conservative relative, I would have her wait. No reason to provoke issues, but then I'm not very confrontational. Plus, if it were a grandparent, I would want to respect their boundaries. Just my thoughts.

Hope all goes well for your dd's trip, though.

Janet

I don't think my mother will be all that put out. My dad might, but then she'll likely only go visit him for a short period once or twice while there. Mom's used to us being 'out there'. I am, after all, the daughter with seven tattoos, who lives in a non-traditional family structure, homeschools, and breastfed until DD was 5.

We did the blue hair thing today because DD has wanted to, and while my sister offered to take her to have it done while out there, but she's doing quite enough coming all the way out here to get her!

I want to know where you got the blue hair dye?

My dd has been wanting to dye hers, too, but i can't find any "cool" colors. Plus, I'd rather do a semi-permanent color just in case she hates it.

As for the actual act of dying her hair blue....I say whatever floats your boat. It's just hair! If this is the most "offensive" thing your daughter does, your parents should be proud grandparents. They may not like it, but the girl has the courage of her convictions, and most of us want our children to think for themselves. (Well...maybe not most of us, but I certainly do!)

My dd has been wanting to dye hers, too, but i can't find any "cool" colors. Plus, I'd rather do a semi-permanent color just in case she hates it.

As for the actual act of dying her hair blue....I say whatever floats your boat. It's just hair! If this is the most "offensive" thing your daughter does, your parents should be proud grandparents. They may not like it, but the girl has the courage of her convictions, and most of us want our children to think for themselves. (Well...maybe not most of us, but I certainly do!)

Try Rite Aid, or equivalent, bottom row at the end of the aisle, next to hair dye removers :)

Funky Colors works with all hair colors.

The best thing about this thread is I almost never get to be "the conservative" on the WTM, and it's kind of fun for a change :D

Almost like dyeing my hair blue :tongue_smilie:

Bill (a liberal grump :001_smile:)

My sons are begging me to dye their hair orange, blue, red, and green. (Each boy wants a different color.) And I have a GOP flag hanging on my house.

However, they will have to wait until after the "week at Grandma's" to do so. My MIL would probably shave them bald.

We got it at CVS pharmacy, of all places. DD wanted pink, but they didn't have it and did have the blue. After it was done, she was worried she'd look like a boy(her short haircut got her some teasing from the kids in her enrichment program this last year), but I pointed out she looks like one of the girls on Negima, and she replied, "yes, but she's shy and I'm not shy."

What are you proving?

Bill

?? I didn't see anything in the PPs to indicate Ravin's mom has a problem with blue hair. I'm confused by your response.

We have used Manic Panic hair dye, you can order it online OR get it at Sally's Beauty Supply. If anyone really HATES a color, there is a dye remover you can also buy at Sally's, that will make your hair back the lightest color it was before you added any dye (so if it's bleached first, it will be blonde again). The wild color dyes do work best if you bleach the hair first, though I have seen some red dye that works without bleaching first. We've done blue, pink, purple, and green. The blue turned to a green tint after a while, and the purple turned a brownish color after a while. Our favorite so far has been the pink.

My oldest dd wants blue hair, but I couldn't find any blue dye in the stores around here. I took her to a salon instead and she got a green peekaboo stripe because the salon had permanent blue but not temporary. We had to do the temporary because her school doesn't allow unnatural colors; however, that temporary green took forever to come out. She was on a 3-week break and it was supposed to come out within 3 weeks. I was concerned she'd get written up at school, but no-one ever said anything about it. Whew!

?? I didn't see anything in the PPs to indicate Ravin's mom has a problem with blue hair. I'm confused by your response.

Perhaps I've misjudged the situation. Perhaps I misjudged what a small-town church-going Lutheran grandmother who has "grandma's rules" is going to expect when her six year old granddaughter comes to visit and she's going to be introducing the little girl around to friends and fellow congregants in the church.

If I'm wrong, I'm happy to be wrong. Perhaps small-town Texas has very different cultural noms than I'm projecting in my head. If the grandmother is happy, great!

Bill

Perhaps I've misjudged the situation. Perhaps I misjudged what a small-town church-going Lutheran grandmother who has "grandma's rules" is going to expect when her six year old granddaughter comes to visit and she's going to be introducing the little girl around to friends and fellow congregants in the church.

If I'm wrong, I'm happy to be wrong. Perhaps small-town Texas has very different cultural noms than I'm projecting in my head. If the grandmother is happy, great!

Bill

I guess we might both be wrong.

No one should really care what color someone's hair is. Get over it!!

So little girl (or her mother's) desire for blue hair should be placed above respecting grandma's feelings? What makes one ok, and the other not?

Girl and mother want blue hair just in time for trip to grandma's house and church? Perhaps they should just "get over it!!".

What are you proving?

Bill

Yeah, I agree with you, Bill! (Ooooh, that's fun to say! I should try it more often! ;)) Definitely sounds like a "point" being made here. The mention of "small-town Texas" and the blue hair being part of the "preparations" for the trip, not to mention obeying Grandma's rules and church, suggest that this was not just a coincidence that the child's hair would be dyed right now. Whether it's to hurt the family, or just to demonstrate how "different" she and her family are, it sounds like there's something going on. I would never want to send a child as young as 6 into that sort of situation alone. I do hope she has a wonderful trip, though!!

Bill

I suppose we both read the OP from our own perspective. My mother lives in a small conservative town and attends a conservative Lutheran church. As long as my kids are well-behaved and respectful, she wouldn't have an issue with their hair color. She would likely think blue hair is odd, but she respects that her kids are adults and make their own choices for their families, which still surprises me because she was sooooo controlling when we were kids.

My mom couldn't care less what color DD's hair is. She might roll her eyes when she first sees it (like she did the time I came home with my head shaved).

DH is fine with DD doing as she likes with her hair. Worst case scenario, something has to grow out. This dye was semi-permanent, so won't last all that long. Beyond some modesty guidelines, DD is free to dress as she likes, wear her hair as she likes, put on nail polish and body makeup, etc. As long as it's not permanent, she's had free reign over her appearance since she weaned.

I admit it might stick a thumb in my dad's eye a bit, but then so did the first time I started nursing DD (then 3 mo.) in the same room as him. I was in a nursing top and the sling hid pretty much everything, but you'd think I'd done a strip-tease. So goading him is a bit of a hobby (he goads me right back, generally). But DD won't be staying at his house.

None of the adults DD will be around (my mom, stepdad, sisters, stepmom, best friend) will have a problem with it, except for my dad, and if he dares give DD a hard time, my sister will shut him down in a hurry.

Oh there's far worse things than blue hair. Like that time my 21 year old brother arrived at the airport to be greeted by our mother, wearing stockings and a dress. Not any dress, but the most awful, ugly dress the awful, ugly section of an op shop has ever seen. From what I heard, she took it well. Blinked a few times and said hi. The poor woman, she didn't even recognise him at first. But she was looking for a bloke in black, not an awful, ugly dress.

Rosie

P.S For the record, he did have the black in his bag, and didn't make her introduce him to her old lady friends wearing the dress.

Rosie, that's a funny story!

It reminds me of my friend Skippy. When I was in college the first time around, I was in a program at UNT called the Texas Academy of Math and Science. I fell in with a group of non-TAMS friends, though. Skippy was one of these. TAMS would have "preview days" for high school sophomores interested in the program (which was concurrent high school/college for HS juniors and seniors). On such preview days, these kids and their parents would usually eat at Bruce Hall cafeteria (near the dorm where the TAMS kids lived). Skippy on one memorable occasion went in on such a preview day, dressed in his Frankenfurter costume (under a trenchcoat), and sat with me at a table with a group of preview students and their parents.

Great impression to make on the parent intending to send their sixteen year old off to school there :tongue_smilie:. We also contemplated going in drag to my prom that year (Skippy in the dress, me in a tux), but I decided to play D&D instead.

Edited by Ravin

We have used Manic Panic hair dye, you can order it online OR get it at Sally's Beauty Supply. If anyone really HATES a color, there is a dye remover you can also buy at Sally's, that will make your hair back the lightest color it was before you added any dye (so if it's bleached first, it will be blonde again). The wild color dyes do work best if you bleach the hair first, though I have seen some red dye that works without bleaching first. We've done blue, pink, purple, and green. The blue turned to a green tint after a while, and the purple turned a brownish color after a while. Our favorite so far has been the pink.

Hmmmmmm...be aware the dye remover doesn't work all that effectively on some hair. My son's hair was stained blue from the dye (from Sally's Beauty Supply) No amount of removal techniques worked. Edited to add...the 'temporary' dye has now been visible in his hair for six solid months. :0)

Edited by Happy

Guest janainaz

Hmmm, I just noticed your post about wanting advice for how your daughter should behave at church and then this post about the blue hair. Personally, I think it does not matter whatsoever about the hair, but are you trying to make a bigger statement to your mother? Reading between the lines, it sounds like you're trying to stir the pot. :001_huh:

Bill

umm. yeah, I guess I'd be wrong w/ the rest of this camp. I however don't think the blue haired child will get looks & thoughts like "what is that teen thinking" would, I think a blue hair child will get the "what are the parents thinking" look. Blue hair comment followed by how to behave in church is what led the thought process the way Bills did.

**Not ment as a judgement call on if blue is ok or not, my dd has bright purple stripes.

Edited by wagnfun

Hmm.... when I was sent to my grandparents' house as a child, my mother used to make my grandmother promise not to let me dye my hair pink. Or get a mohawk. Or get a second hole in my ears.

:D I let my dad take my son for a haircut a couple of weeks ago. My 9 yr old came back with a mohawk that made him look like a little MrT.