Menu

The Critical Thinking Co.

danybug

I just got a new Parent Catalog from The Critical Thinking Co. I have never heard of the company, but as I was leafing through a lot of the products look interesting. Just wondering if anyone has ordered anything from them and what they thought.

Thanks guys!

I think I may own over half the books they sell. :blushing:

I use mostly their supplemental books, though, not the "core" books (although I have owned some of them, but they haven't been a good fit here).

I do use and love most of the things from them I have - anything in particular you're interested in?

I have always loved their catalog but never ordered, as I thought my dd11 wasn't much of a "workbook" lover. Hey, things change. I ordered her Latin Logic and she LOVES it. Begged me to buy more from the company (!) and so we went through some of their online samples and she's narrowed her choices down to about four.

I did use their core science for awhile (given to me by a friend), but we needed a different level. I really enjoyed it as did my daughter, but we ended up with R.E.A.L. Science. I liked that Critical Thinking made my daughter do just that. THINK about Science instead of just reading a textbook.

The company was fine to order from too. I ordered online with no problems and rec'd the order in a decent amount of time.

I just got a new Parent Catalog from The Critical Thinking Co. I have never heard of the company, but as I was leafing through a lot of the products look interesting. Just wondering if anyone has ordered anything from them and what they thought.

Thanks guys!

We've done all the MindBenders :thumbup1:

Didn't like Red Herrings - more for classroom :thumbdown:

Just purchased Critical Thinking for 8th grade logic - maybe too classroom-ish :huh:

That's the extent of my experience.

Hey, things change. I ordered her Latin Logic and she LOVES it. Begged me to buy more

Okay, what is this book? :001_smile: I can't remember seeing a book by this name in their catalog and I couldn't find it at their website. You have me intrigued - don't want to be missing out! :tongue_smilie:

Some of the things I was interested in were Science Detective, Reading Detective, Editor in Chief, Dr. Funksters Think-A-Minutes, Mind Benders.

These would just be for supplemental and hopefully fun stuff.

These are a lot of the titles I have.

I love the Detective books. We use Science and Math Detective. My kids are not huge fans of the Science one, but it's because they really have to think about the questions. I think it's really good for them. I use it as a supplement and don't bother to line it up with what we're doing in science otherwise.

Also love Editor in Chief.

Think-A-Minutes is a sampler of pages from their other books. I used the first two books. Someone else here said they liked it because it had a variety. I only assign one page/lesson a week from each book, so I'd rather get variety by picking the kinds of lessons I'd like and doing one of each than a random selection, but it's all in how you intend to use the books. You can also use them as a way to sample what you might find in the other books.

Mind Benders are very nice, but after the first couple of books the number of puzzles per book goes down to 15 puzzles - for $9.99! So I switched to Mindware's Grid Perplexors, which are the exact same kind of puzzle, but you get 50+ puzzles for $12.99.

We also use Cranium Crackers and Doo Riddles, and this year we tried out Punctuation Puzzlers. I will probably drop the latter two next year, but keep the Cranium Crackers. They're written by the same person who writes the Critical Thinking books for the upper grades, and there's lots of thinking in those puzzles, which also have a lot of variety.

We were doing the Doo Riddles mostly as a fun diversion, but my older two are getting kind of tired of them after we've worked through a number of the books.

Not positive if this is what she was talking about for Latin Logic, but I saw one in the catalog called Word Roots which is Latin and then eventually some Greek. That looks great too, oh decisions, decisions!

Oh, I forgot about that one - yes, we use Word Roots too. I do like those - we just started our second book. I'm not sure the retention has been great, though - we're going to also use a curriculum called Caesar's English for roots this year to see if that helps. I will probably keep using the Word Roots book till we finish it, as it doesn't take long to do.

Okay, what is this book? :001_smile: I can't remember seeing a book by this name in their catalog and I couldn't find it at their website. You have me intrigued - don't want to be missing out! :tongue_smilie:

D'uh. It IS Word Roots~Sorry!~ I am thinking of something else....I think. I don't know where my brain is today!

I posted re: their 'core curriculum' math book (Mathematical Reasoning) a month or so ago. Sadly, no one had any feedback.

I have used their math books from preK on. We are currently half way through their 2nd grade book. I wonder how they compare to other programs, like MUS and Singapore.

DS loves their math books and he scored more than 2 grades above on his ITBS last November. But I feel like I am the only person in the world using their math program! :tongue_smilie: I worry about getting another grade or two in and finding out we were on the wrong track.

In addition to their Mathematical Reasoning books, we have used and enjoyed:

Building Thinking Skills

Can You Find Me?

Visual Perceptual

Mind Benders

Dr. DooRiddles

Duds at our house:

Thinker Doodles (DS hates to draw. I thought this might entice him to draw. It didn't.)

Complete the Picture Math Book (Same reason as above.)

Language Smarts. (DS hates to write and this was just way too much of a workbook for him. I like it and will pull it out again later and re-try.)

I bought the following:

Can You Find Me? (PreK-K)

Building Thinking Skills level 1, 2, 3

Mindbenders: Warm Ups, Beginnings, A series, B series

Math Detective

I just want to suggest. Try sampling some of the stuff on their website before you buy from them. They are very expensive for what it provides. I use it as logic puzzles for my sons. Both love these programs. They seem to do well with them too. It is very tempting to buy a lot of stuff from them, but when you see the prices, it stops me.

I purchased Building Thinking Skills because it is general and covers many bases. There are other fun logic programs like Dandylion logic beside Critical Thinking Company.

I hope that helps.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

I have been looking at buying CTC products from http://brainathonemporium.com Well actually I was looking at buying more than just CTC products lol I am dieing to try those smencils. Anyway, I thought I would let anyone who wanted to buy CTC products but are being put off by the cost the lady that runs the site I linked tries really hard to give a great price, by giving free shipping and free gifts with purchase etc. It might help take the sting out of the price to actually give the books a try. YOu have to contact her directly, but she is very friendly and helpful.

I was leaning towards: What would you do?, Think ahead games and Novel thinking

I have been looking at buying CTC products from http://brainathonemporium.com Well actually I was looking at buying more than just CTC products lol I am dieing to try those smencils.

I'll put in a plug for Brainathon Emporium - the woman who runs it is the same person who sold me most of my original CTP stuff at a home party back when CTP did that through Bright Minds (so I got lots of free stuff as a hostess :D). She started Brainathon when CTP closed their home party business. She does offer free shipping for a lower minimum purchase than CTP, has the whole product line, plus carries lots of other great stuff from other vendors.

• 2 weeks later...

We've used the Building Thinking Skills books for several years. Our dd says that they help on standarized tests. One book can be used for several years( example: 4-5-6th) so you can do a portion of the book each year.

• 4 weeks later...

Picked up Red Herrings for my rising 6th grader. Two problems came up:

1: She was so excited to have to start logic that she took the book and started reading it without me. And looked at the back. So half the questions are unusable.

2: Even if she hadn't read it in advance - I was skeptical about some of the stories they came up with. I just thought they were little far-fetched to be used for logical thinking. To be honest, they remind me of times when my 8YO is trying to justify something and starts going to semi-outrageous lengths to maintain or establish an upper hand.

Anyone want to buy a new, clean copy of A Case of Red Herrings? :001_smile:

-ATB

I just bought a bunch from them yesterday at a homeschool convention.

Mathematical reasoning Level A

Dr Dooriddles

Thinkerdoodles

Visual Perceptual Skill Building

Can you find me?

I didn't really know much about them, but while looking through the stuff at the booth, I really wanted to give them a try. The workbooks looked different, a little more refined and "honed in" then some of the others I've seen.

About the Mathematical Reasoning, I asked the lady at the booth if it was meant as a supplement to any other math programs or as the core, and she told me only as a supplement.

The thing that just makes me want to kick myself is that I saw the Math workbook in the used curriculum sale but didn't really give it a good look, I just saw a colorful workbook (like the ones from Costco) and it was listed at $10, and thought that was not worth it. Then, several hours later I actually look into it and wished I had picked it up used! (the used sale was closed by then:ack2: )

i keep a few pages of dr. doo riddles in my purse for those "standing in line" moments. for that, they're great. each of my dds has liked different ones of them, but the red herrings no one liked. i've discovered that the ones they like are often in areas where they already have some aptitude, so its the ones they don't like so well that they may really benefit from.

hth

• 2 weeks later...

We have used The Language Mechanic so much that I pulled it out of its binding and put it in a 3 ring binder for easier copying.

http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Language+Mechanic/005005/1245708619-342230

It is one of their older, more popular titles, so it's easy to find. I got my gently-used copy on the cheap from Ebay.

I'm increasingly certain we will be using Editor in Chief software next year for both kids. (5th & 8th grade)

I ordered the Mathematical Reasoning Beginning Book 1 for my 3 year old. He loves it. We 3-5 pages a day for our "school time" - maybe 10 minutes. He likes to sit at his desk with mommy.

I also got the Mathematical Reasoning A last year for my 1st grader. It did not work so well, she (and I) prefer Singapore.

She does LOVE the Complete the Picture Math Books.

Next year we will continue with the Complete the Picture Math as well as add Math Analogies, Dr. DooRiddles, and Spelling DooRiddles. I will also get the Mathematical Reasoning Beginning Book 2 for my son.

I posted re: their 'core curriculum' math book (Mathematical Reasoning) a month or so ago. Sadly, no one had any feedback.

I have used their math books from preK on. We are currently half way through their 2nd grade book. I wonder how they compare to other programs, like MUS and Singapore.

DS loves their math books and he scored more than 2 grades above on his ITBS last November. But I feel like I am the only person in the world using their math program! :tongue_smilie: I worry about getting another grade or two in and finding out we were on the wrong track.

Yay I'm glad someone else uses this. I just ordered their 3 yr old one and their kinder one. I will be using Singapore along with it, but I always double math curriculum. I used MUS and Horizons last yr. I posted about it as well and no one responded. I'm glad to hear about the high test scores. Who knows we could eventually just use that for our sole program. I'm looking into the Language Smarts for next yr. Ds is requesting colorful workbooks LOL.

About the Mathematical Reasoning, I asked the lady at the booth if it was meant as a supplement to any other math programs or as the core, and she told me only as a supplement.

Their catalog says that they are for a core up through 3rd grade. The Mathematical Reasoning through verbal analysis books that come after the 3rd grade mathematical reasoning are listed in the catalog as supplements.

I found their Kindergarten mathematical reasoning book at a cirriculum sale, and I'm so glad I got it! Timmy loves it, it's interesting with gorgeous colored pictures. Now I really want to find their 1st grade book for a reasonable price. He's definitely going to finish the k book before our kindergarten year is over... in fact he's 1/4 done and it hasn't even started yet!

Thanks for the tip about photocopying. I hadn't thought of doing that and it would be fine with the Mind Benders, as they are printed very simply in black & white.

And thanks for the info about Brain-athon. I just ordered some great manipulatives from them!

Hi! Didn't see your post back then or I would have responded.

We really like the Math Reasoning books and prefer them to the more popular curriculums. It's our core.

We supplement with AoPS' Kitchen Table Math to make sure we cover all basis and teach the concrete aspects. BTW, KTM goes up to age 8 (they're working on the next book) and goes from baby-simple to VERY advanced. My DH and I (both engineers!) blanched when we checked out the later chapters. Much more advanced thinking skills are required than in the normal workbooks (like Singapore and Saxon).

Unfortunately, there are only 4 books to the Reasoning series (don't know if they are planning more). We're planning on continuing on with the AoPS series after that, supplementing with CTC's Math Detective.

If you worried about covering topics just make sure you check out this list and teach anything that wasn't covered. Then I'd add in some manipulatives and review worksheets to work on speed and math facts. No problem.

Edited by VanessaS