Menu

How often and for how long do your kids practice piano?

I feel like I'm always reminding dd to slow down while practicing, or giving another lecture about how attitude affects our work, or reminding her to put her heart into her music. She's 12. We are not considering quiting, I was just wondering if anyone else has these troubles. She should practice 5 hours a week and this year her attitude was so poor that her teacher and I have let up on her (=less practice time per week and no extra presentations (contests, etc) outside of what is required (Festival and Guild). Her attitude has improved in general a lot and I think she should get her hours back up this fall. What do you think?

How often and for how long does your 12 year old practice?

Thanks!

My dd, 12, is supposed to practice 50 min a day, 6 days a week, so that is also 5 hrs per week. She will avoid practice unless I specifically tell her it is time to play. every. single. time. When do they start taking the initiative themselves?? Oh, and she loves to perform, so that is not the problem.

My dd practiced (and still does) about 45min/day, 6 days/wk. She just turned 14 and practices without being reminded about 1/2 the time. At 12, I was reminding her every day. A couple of yrs. ago when she was balking about practice and struggling with hard pieces, I did ease off for a few months and then gradually increased practice time. That seemed to do the trick. HTH.

Edited by ncmomo3

My 12yodd practices 30 minutes a day/7 days a week. More would be nice, but I can't reasonably add anything else to her "must do" list. And yes, I do almost always have to point out that it's time to practice. She has had individual lessons for 6 years and she does enjoy music a lot, but may or may not decide to practice on her own. Therefore, I do tell her to practice every day and to set the timer.

My very soon-to-be 14 y.o. is supposed to practice 30-45 mins/day, everyday. I guess she averages 30 minutes. At age 12, she did 30 mins/day. She's good at sitting down and playing here and there throughout the day, but I have to remind her when she needs to do a full-length "focused" practice.

Sheri :)

Our piano teacher suggests 30 mins. per day. Dd11 is a quick learner and masters her music very quickly. She's about to begin a second instrument, the cello, and her teacher, who has 3 very musically talented children, suggests a mixed schedule of alternating instrument practice by day.

I imagine that once my dd has more to practice, her daily practice will increase. But for now, 30 mins. almost seems too long.

Our oldest was required to practice 5-6 hours a week. He was very gifted, but once he hit puberty he didn't want to practice and he quit when he was 14. He just plan wouldn't do it anymore.

The other kids have no time requirement. They fight over whose turn it is to practice and some get up at 6am so that they can practice twice. Go figure.

I'm feeling a lot better about this-thank you! It's good to know this is normal behavior and normal practice requirements. She does love playing the piano but she is not so keen on practicing. For her personally, this is one area she has to work on in general. She is a perfectionist who doesn't like to practice. :lol: I ask her sometimes how that is working for her?:D

Thanks!

12 year old DD practices piano daily, but if I were honest about it, sometimes she practices 3 hours a day and sometime not at all. I am the engine that gets her moving; I remind her to play. At 12 these players are beginning to come into their own voice as a player. Maybe listen to more music. Google "From the Top." This show has some videos of their performers who at young ages are incredible musicians. Hearing a 12 year old play Clair De Lune with depth and beauty can inspire.

My 6 year old DD can sit and practice with me for a 30 min. stretch before she shuts down. For her, I am the cheerleader. It makes it fun for both of us when she can bask in her accomplishments.

Our piano teacher switched from time the child had to practice to goals that they are to accomplish and I have to say that it has worked so much better. My son (11) does a goal or two a day which takes him 20 to 30 min a day.

My 13yo dd practices about 6 days per week, and we don't meter by time -- we look at accomplishments. Her teacher is constantly coaching her on effective ways to practice -- for example, breaking a piece down into parts rather than practicing straight through every time, starting memorization from the end of the piece rather than the beginning, etc. etc. The teacher offers suggestions on how many times per week certain pieces should be practiced -- some are "every day", some are less often. Dd is expected to practice until she is done, rather than practice a certain number of minutes. Some days she flies through things in about 20 minutes, other days take an hour or more.

The piano teacher says Sunday is the Lord's day, and so she expects 6 days per week of work.

(Mrs. Piano Teacher is a gem.)

You know, it just occurred to me that one of the reasons we homeschool is because I hate the bell ringing that forces you to drop history and run to math whether you're ready to or not. I guess that's why I appreciate this way of practicing piano, too.

Edited by GailV

Our old piano teacher, who plays multiple instruments, used to say that the great thing about practicing piano is that it's always there and set up, so you can get your practice in a few minutes at a time - - definitely did not have to be all at once.

Personally, I would remind dd to practice if she seems to be slipping up, but I would NOT lecture her on attitude or putting her heart into her work. Her teacher can do that, and I think that parents can do more good by simply enjoying and appreciating the music w/o any critical comment.

Sometimes, backing off a bit gives kids the space they need to perform and achieve on their own terms, and to 'own' that achievement. I would emphasize attitude and such with younger children just starting out, but your dd is 12; she either gets it or not at this point. Just my nsho, of course!

My kids do not have a practice time requirement, but more like assignments of what to work on. However, in the nearly two years that we have been with this teacher, I have never had to ask them to practice. He is not a terribly strict teacher, but they enjoy playing and are learning - not just how to play but some theory. My kids practice at least 2 times a day for about 15-20 minutes at a time. Often, my oldest will sit down at the piano and play when he is avoiding his chemistry assingment.

I am sure that they would learn more with a more rigorous teacher, but they enjoy playing and that is important to me. There are times when I feel that a kiddo is just going through the motions and I will encourage him/her to slow down and work on the piece a little more. I also have to encourage them to do their theory homework. Other than that, they are self-directed. My BIL, who was our piano teacher until he got a full-time teaching job several years ago, comments on how well they are doing.

Ds also doesn't like to practice, but he does like to perform, and you can't really have one without the other. He is almost twelve. We have no issues on the actual motions of going through the practicing...that is a habit at this point. Our issue is within the quality of practice, and his current M.O. is to play everything over and over again as fast as he can. Most. frustrating.

I hated piano (and still do) because my mother Made me practice. Music should be a result of passion. I joined because I wanted to, but I quit because there is no in something forced. I still have great passion for music. Just not piano.

Even Yo-Yo Ma says he hates to practice. I play professionally and have never met anyone-anyone-who says they like to practice. They like the results of practice.

That said,

DD-15 (when she was 12 it was closer to 45 min for both instruments)

Harp 1 hour a day 7 days a week

Piano 1 hour a day 6 days a week

Weekends are longer. Before big competitions, harp camp or recitals she practices longer. The thought of public humiliation is motivating. Because it is so much to do at one time, harp is before school and piano is after school. A lesson counts as practice.

She rarely "wants" to practice. I make her. It makes me crazy. I have to make myself practice. I'm working on Pictures at an Exhibition right now. It is making me crazy. Yes, I live in crazyland folks.

DS-9

Piano 20 minutes 6 days a week

He does not mind practicing. He does it as part of his school day. He only doesn't mind because his music is not that hard. He does get frustrated and annoyed while practicing. He is going to do piano festival this year for the first time. We'll see how the attitude changes.

OH-and just to be really clear. We have an extremely challenging Russian harp teacher who is demanding at EVERY lesson. The piano teacher is less intense, but dd is playing music that is demanding-Chopin & Shostakovitch.

Edited by HollyinNNV

Our issue is within the quality of practice, and his current M.O. is to play everything over and over again as fast as he can. Most. frustrating.

We need a sympathetic laugh icon. Yes, I just yell, "Can you play that faster. No faster. Extremely vivo!" Usually my ds will finally slow down. Reverse psychology.

Oh-and a couple of things I forgot to add.

Do not confuse playing an instrument and practicing an instrument. When I go play a gig with a quartet, I am playing. I enjoy it. People (hopefully) enjoy listening. I'm not playing anything that I can't easily play and we are just moving from song to song. It is fun.

When I practice I am deliberately choosing things I cannot play. I have to slow it down, take it in tiny pieces, use a metronome, use a tuner, wear out my arm, strain my ears and frustrate myself. Then I improve. Then I do it again...and again....and again....and my playing still stinks. Then over the course of a lot of time and effort I improve. And as I improve I pick more junk I cannot do and I learn that. And I am in a constant state of stinkiness as the music gets harder and harder. And I am always self-critical........so I can get better. But, I am never good enough.

And that my friends, is music. You play and enjoy yourself. You practice and want to tear out your eyelashes. Or eardrums-but they are harder to get to-ha!

The other issue is humor. If your kids are playing an instrument and they are younger, bring a special stuffed animal to cheer them on. My 9 year old ds still likes it. If your older kid wants help as mine did a few minutes ago, say something funny, "Let's just throw this ol' harp out the window." Humor is really important in situations like this. Show the kids that you can have a pleasant attitude while being tortured! That, in fact, should be my new motto-pleasant torture. My motto was Serenity Now, but maybe I'll have to change it.

Anyways, hope this helps someone out there.

Holly

With both piano lessons and reading time, I don't give my dds a time frame. Instead, they have had to play each song 3x. A few months ago, I bumped it to 5x, never mentioning how long it may take. Sometimes they run through quickly and other times they get lost in time having fun and I have to hurry them along. They are only 10 and still a bit more compliant than a 12yo. If I get more resistance in the future, I'll most likely chalk it up to age and become the piano nazi, but for now, 5x each makes their teacher happy saying they are ahead of most of her 2nd year students.

Since my kids are masters of manipulating the side tracts when they'd rather be doing something else, they have to read so many chapters a day instead of an hour at a time. That prevents clock watching and mostly aids in getting involved in the book and reading ahead forgetting about time. But again, they are only 10 and still pretty compliant. 12yo is probably another story.

I only mention the reading even though it's irrelevant to the original question because I approach it the same way. It seems to be working...I get no complaints and they are doing well in both categories, but they are only 10 and still compliant and 12 is an altogether different age.

I mostly get noncompliance in math and hope that turns around by 12yo because the math processor should kick in by then. I can only hope. Piano is going very well and I enjoy listening to them practice.

I also find stuff like this and they get inspiration to keep on.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v3d6SFcDys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v3d6SFcDys

And that my friends, is music. You play and enjoy yourself. You practice and want to tear out your eyelashes. Or eardrums-but they are harder to get to-ha!

Holly

I guess it would depend on your goals. If music is very important and the plan is for it to have a major part in one's life (career or something,) then I can see this kind of approach. However, if the goal for music is less grand (such as appreciation, enjoyment, theory), then I do not see a point in practice being that arduous.

I would much rather put my energies toward encouraging arduous practice of math, writing and scientific exploration that I would piano. My kids do not aspire to perform or teach. They take it because it is the only avenue that I have for getting any musical instruction in our home school. I had next to none (okay - I accidentally took a music theory course in college, thinking it was music appreciation:) Dh was forced to take organ lessons for 9 years. In the 20 years I have known him, I have NEVER heard him play. He has never even sat down at the piano in our home. I do not want to do that to my kids.

My 13 year old usually practices piano one hour a day seven days a week. On Saturday, he has a piano solo at a concert where all of the other performers are adults. To make sure he is ready, this week, he is practicing one hour in the morning, and 30 minutes in the evening.

When he goes to camp, he will be practicing more than 3 hours a day, so he needs to be building up to it now.

He also plays Alto Saxophone and Clarinet. He almost never practices those, which I am hoping to change next year.

I have to slow it down, take it in tiny pieces, use a metronome,

--snip --

That, in fact, should be my new motto-pleasant torture. My motto was Serenity Now, but maybe I'll have to change it.

Mrs. Piano Teacher's motto is The Metronome Is My Friend. She forces the kids to say it with her. Sort of combines humor and torture all into one, y'know?

I will say, they're much better at using a metronome than I ever was, and will voluntarily use it during practice.

I guess it would depend on your goals. If music is very important and the plan is for it to have a major part in one's life (career or something,) then I can see this kind of approach.

Those are not my goals. I want my kids to learn perseverance, how to establish and meet long term goals and see that they can accomplish things that seem, at times, unattainable. I do not want to see them go to school for music. I would like to see them get music scholarships. Dh got his pre-med biology degree because his viola abilities made it possible.

I would much rather put my energies toward encouraging arduous practice of math, writing and scientific exploration that I would piano.

We do all of that, too. With gusto. It does not have to be one or the other.

My kids do not aspire to perform or teach. They take it because it is the only avenue that I have for getting any musical instruction in our home school.

That's cool. Everyone finds their own path.

I had next to none (okay - I accidentally took a music theory course in college, thinking it was music appreciation:)

OOh. Painful. Dh took a music history class for music majors thinking it would be an easy "A." He couldn't drop it fast enough.

Dh was forced to take organ lessons for 9 years. In the 20 years I have known him, I have NEVER heard him play. He has never even sat down at the piano in our home. I do not want to do that to my kids.

Wellllllllll, we probably just have different philosophies. If my kids make that choice, they make that choice. I hope they'll play at weddings in college to make some extra $. Maybe they will teach lessons for extra $. Hopefully they'll play in orchestras for fun as adults as my dh and I do. But, if they choose to quit and never play again, I believe that is there choice. It has nothing to do with what "I did to them." They are adults. But, that is the free choice libertarian side coming out.....:D

I can't really say if dds will ever become musicians. It's too hard to tell with my 6 year old (although she has really taken to the piano) because she is still so young and my older dd, well, maybe not but who knows for sure. I do know that after math and latin, piano has been the single most incredible educational experience my dd has had. Playing the piano has taught her perserverance, responsibility and truly nurtured her creative side. While our year began rough (and her hormones were raging) she has really settled down again and we see a new maturity beginning to show itself in her music. We have Guild Auditions next Monday and we had our last lesson before that today. Her teacher is impressed with her improved confidence and a new sparkle with her music. It isn't always easy but like math and latin I know it is just what she needs. We have allowed her to drop other activities along the way if she decided she wasn't interested in them or in pushing herself to excel in them but piano has stayed. Dh and I are so pleased she has kept something to explore her limitations and yet also have something that will, after much hard work, fill her with a sense of wonder at the beauty she has created for others by sharing her music. It is good for her soul and her character. Despite her reluctunce to practice enough and more often than that (similiar to another poster) not well enough, she does enjoy playing. I often tell my dh not to let her fool him into thinking she doesn't really like school subjects. She moans and puts up a big act but I hear her tell others how much she enjoys learning French and I see her eyes light up when she catches on to something. Children are sooo different from each other. I never knew how much until I had my second dd. The two girls have many differences. My younger dd pays close attention and works hard at practicing the piano. It is just who she is. My older dd rushes through her work and then relys on her excellent memory to bail her out. Her problems show up when she memorizes something incorrectly. It is really hard for her to undo this. Thus, her teacher and I emphasize to her the importance of practicing slowly and correctly because we know how much smoother this makes learning the piano for her. This is why I have had long talks with her about slowing down and having a good attitude. Lessons that ask more of her bring out her flaws. (We all have flaws to work on and yes, my younger dd has hers to work on too). I remind her that a relaxed and patient attitude helps her practice better and makes the experience more pleasant. I don't add to her stress, I try very hard to help her learn to deal with her own self-imposed stress. This lesson in life alone will be so important for her and her future.

Whew! This was way too long. I'm so sorry for that.:001_smile:

Edited by Kfamily

My son did piano lessons from the age of 6 to 8 years, took a break for a year (health reasons... son was in a coma), re-took piano from age 10-12 with a classical emphasis, theory and 2 recitals a year, and he burned out from the stress and long hours of practice. So, for the last 2 years, we are taking guitar lessons and he loves it! His piano background really helped with the basics for acoustical guitar.

I hated piano (and still do) because my mother Made me practice. Music should be a result of passion. I joined because I wanted to, but I quit because there is no in something forced. I still have great passion for music. Just not piano.

I agree... this is why we switched from piano to guitar. Our son loves music but our piano teachers killed the love of music out of him. BTW, my FIL is a famous piano player (by ear -- never learned how to read music) and is a "moldy oldy" co-writer for the 1961 hit "Runaway" with Del Shannon. His song was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Hubby grew up in the music industry seeing dad perform live in concert, in the studio, on TV, etc. Lots of people in the industry say passion alone will get you far... but to have no passion and only skills will limit you. Son most likely will not follow his grandpa's footsteps... but his love of music hopefully will not be quenched by a teacher caught up in legalism.

P.S. BTW, Grandpa loves to practice daily... he will be in his studio playing 2-3 hours a day. This is when he is happy and fufilled at age 73. He is a perfectionist and highly critical of his work... to me, the songs sound amazing... but he will find a flaw somewhere to gripe over. LOL. That's a musician for you. He plays many different instruments too -- all by ear.

Edited by tex-mex

Do not confuse playing an instrument and practicing an instrument. When I go play a gig with a quartet, I am playing. I enjoy it. People (hopefully) enjoy listening. I'm not playing anything that I can't easily play and we are just moving from song to song. It is fun.

When I practice I am deliberately choosing things I cannot play. I have to slow it down, take it in tiny pieces, use a metronome, use a tuner, wear out my arm, strain my ears and frustrate myself. Then I improve. Then I do it again...and again....and again....and my playing still stinks. Anyways, hope this helps someone out there.

Holly

I will be letting my girls read this. They too, love to play--don't like to practice. I've never heard it explained quite that way. Thanks.

My son is 11 and has been playing for three years. He generally plays about 20-30 minutes at a time, but he often does this several times per day. I don't ask that he play for a long stretch all at one time (although sometimes he does this on his own).

We love to hear him play and so praise him every time we hear him, so that might go a long way toward encouraging his playing. We also tend to talk about the pieces he's playing: how we remember them from when we were growing up; how much we admire that style of music; how we can hear the Russian, Persian, etc. influence in a piece, etc. and so that might encourage him to play more. I've never really kept track of his time, but I'd guess he practices from 3-6 hours per week.

He has a really fabulous teacher and I think the books she uses are just fabulous compared to what we used when I was a child. The pieces are geared toward boys as much as girls and are always interesting. So the type of music being played might also contribute toward his interest level.

I don't know if any of this is helpful or not. I don't know anyone else who plays with a different teacher or different type of programming, so I'm not sure how much all these things contribute to student interest level.

Everybody is so different. Our piano teacher actually told Ds that she does not want him to practice with the metronome. She said that it could cause his playing to become too robotic. Instead, he listens to the metronome for a few measures before he plays and tries to keep the beat in his head while he is playing. He often records his song, then replays it with the metronome to see how consistent his tempo is.

My father and sister are both professional musicians. Ever since Ds was a toddler, they have drilled into me the difference between a musician and a technician. We are very blessed to have a teacher who really values Ds's expressiveness and creativity. She says that she knows so many adults who can mechanically read music and play it, but who would give anything to be able to "breathe life into it."

Ds is driven, to a point. He wants to go here

http://academy.interlochen.org/node/1484

for his senior year, or for a gap year. This keeps him motivated. He goes to camp there, so he knows kids that have much more natural talent, so if he is going to get in, he has to push himself in practice every day. His teacher lets him pick his own pieces, and he consistently picks one that she thinks is just a little out of his reach, then he pushes himself until he masters it.

I make it a point to never correct or give him suggestions. My role is his cheerleader. Even when he messes up, I focus on how proud I am, and on what I think he did well.

Dh also tells him that some of the kids at camp are really pushed by their parents, but he wants Ds to know that if he ever wants to quit or cut back, that is fine with us. We are spending all of this money so that music can enrich his life forever, not so that he can make us look good.

Thank you, Holly, for your insights into playing vs practice. My 8 y.o. will be reading this when she's finished <ahem> practicing piano. :D

So, I'm thinking we have a LOT (comparatively) of piano practice going on here. The 8 y.o. just started her second year and practices about 45 minutes a day, seven days a week, just her regular lesson work... if she is learning a recital piece, she practices more. Regular lesson work, she usually breaks up into 15 minute or so sessions. When she's working on a particularly difficult piece for recital, she might add another 30 minute block in there. And our piano teacher is the kind that wants them to take it easy and have fun with it! Maybe I'm expecting too much? I mean, I'm not standing over her with a whip and stuff, but I do remind her to practice... :confused:

Dd14 plays maybe half an hour a day, but its not something I control or make a fuss over, because for us, music is recreational and for love, not "work". Dd has reached a level where the pieces she plays are lovely to listen to, and she will often just spontaneously sit down and play during the day.

Ds13 plays piano but is only a beginner so his 10-15 minutes daily practice are not so relevant. But he has played classical recorder for 5 years now and is playing at a high level. He still only practices that for 15 minutes a day, 5 days a week. It sure doesn't sound much, but his teacher, a retired very professional elderly lady who taught recorder for her whole career, has always said its far more important that he have a focused practice, than the amount of time. He progresses well, even with that minimal practice. And I was like that as a child too.

Yes, with more practice, they would get further faster, but that is not our priority. No one here is going to be a professional musician, even though we are all musical. Its all about the love of it.

My dd 12 and dd 10 practice 30-60 min. a day, they also will sit and play fun stuff.

My dd 8 practices 15-30 min. a day.

So far we haven't had too much complaining. I hope we can weather the teen years as that is when I dropped it. :)