Menu

What is the Biblical meaning of Easter?

Question:

From the Bible's point of view, what is the meaning of Easter? Should we celebrate it?

Answer:

From the biblical perspective Easter has no meaning. In other words, the particular celebration on a set day of the year of the resurrection of Jesus is not mentioned or even hinted at in the Bible. Having said that, there is evidence very early in church history for the church celebrating what we now call Easter. This is different from the celebration of Christmas or "Lent" or other events in the traditional Catholic and Orthodox church calendars which came in much later. Easter was certainly celebrated by the middle of the second century. We already have Christians arguing over the "correct" date to celebrate Easter by the 170s AD. We know this because Irenaeus was asked to settle an argument over the difference in Easter dates between the eastern and western churches at this time. The evidence will lead one to conclude that Easter was probably already celebrated by the beginning of the second century. Some have claimed that the celebration of Easter was borrowed from a pagan holiday. This is almost certainly not true. They say that the name "Easter" is adapted from the name for the pagan god Ishtar. Whether or not this is true, bottom line, Easter is and always has been a celebration of the resurrection of Jesus from the dead. This celebration goes back to the most primitive Christianity. To the extent that Easter is a true remembrance by Christians of the power and significance of the resurrection of Jesus, I say this is a good thing. Whether or not Bible-believing Christians ought to celebrate or even acknowledge Easter is a matter of opinion. The celebration is not "biblical" in the strict sense, but like Irenaeus decided back in the second century, such things should be left as a matter of opinion. It is hard to think of anything wrong with celebrating and remembering the resurrection of Jesus, as long as the remembrance can retain its spiritual meaning and not simply become a meaningless ritual. Of course, in the world, there is a lot of "junk" accreted to the celebration of Easter, and much of this is truly pagan! The hiding and finding of eggs, the wearing of pretty dresses, talk about the Easter bunny and so forth are all tied to ideas about fertility which clearly derive from pagan sources. Obviously, Christians do not attach religious significance to such things. Perhaps some will choose to completely reject involving Easter egg hunts as part of their celebration of the resurrection of Jesus, and perhaps that is a good idea. It seems that these things tend to take away from any real spiritual significance of Easter. Others will say that these things are harmless. I do not want to interject my opinion on these things as the readers can decide for themselves. So, although there is literally no "biblical" significance of Easter, there is a clear connection which goes back to the primitive church. In its purest form, Easter can be a powerful reminder to us of one of the most significant events in the history of humanity--the resurrection of our Lord and Savior from the dead, which is the first fruits of the harvest of souls for eternity. Hopefully, those Christians who choose to celebrate this holiday will emphasize this aspect and help people to know Jesus Christ.

-John Oakes

Taken from: http://www.evidenceforchristianity.org/index.php?option=com_custom_content&task=view&id=4927

Thoughts?

My thought?

If I believed as most Christians believe, Easter (or what-ever you want to call it) would be the highlight of my spiritual year.

I don't really understand the controversy.

Bill

I 'think' that the controversy stems from the fact that it's not Biblical or extra-Biblical????

Janet

I 'think' that the controversy stems from the fact that it's not Biblical or extra-Biblical????

Janet

Like many other aspects of the faith, no?

And what's not biblical. If you believe Jesus was crucified, and rose from the dead, that's in the Bible. And isn't "the risen Christ" what Christians celebrate at Easter? So what is the controversy? The date may be off?

Bill

We are Christians and do not celebrate Easter. The Bible is very clear about how the Lord desires to be remembered in his death and that is through the Lord's supper. We do this weekly, and see no need to set aside a day during the year to remember it in a different way. So, this sunday, we will be meeting with other believers to break bread to remember the Lord just like we do every other week. To us, the celebration of Easter is extra biblical.

Like many other aspects of the faith, no?

And what's not biblical. If you believe Jesus was crucified, and rose from the dead, that's in the Bible. And isn't "the risen Christ" what Christians celebrate at Easter? So what is the controversy? The date may be off?

Bill

You're asking the wrong person. I just got back from buying Easter candy and tomorrow we will color eggs. I truly don't understand the controversy, either.

Janet

You're asking the wrong person. I just got back from buying Easter candy and tomorrow we will color eggs. I truly don't understand the controversy, either.

Janet

Now that you mention it, why am I worried about it? :lol:

To anyone celebrating any version of Easter, Happy Easter!

Bill

Janet

I would agree with this.

Ironically enough, some friends and I were talking about this very thing this past Sunday at church. This article pretty much sums up how I feel. It's pretty much a pagan holiday with some Jesus thrown in to make people feel better.

We don't celebrate Easter, per se. That is, we do the Easter baskets but my boys know that we do them. I did the Easter bunny one year, spread some Easter grass all over the living room and told them that the Easter bunny brought them something special. For almost two weeks he was terrified that the bunny would come again and scare him in the night. Boy did I feel like a putz! Needless to say, we never did that again.

My children know the Bible, they are very familiar with the gospel. I don't set aside one day a year to make it real to them, Easter is all year for us.

We are Christians and do not celebrate Easter. The Bible is very clear about how the Lord desires to be remembered in his death and that is through the Lord's supper. We do this weekly, and see no need to set aside a day during the year to remember it in a different way. So, this sunday, we will be meeting with other believers to break bread to remember the Lord just like we do every other week. To us, the celebration of Easter is extra biblical.

:iagree:

This is something I've wondered about in the last few yrs. I was raised to believe that taking communion was "the Lord's supper," but in rereading the passages from which this comes, it looks like "the Lord's supper" is Passover.

This is one of the things that perplexes me about Easter. Since Jesus (& his apostles) celebrated Passover, why would we invent something new to celebrate the same thing, something that has pagan roots instead of the celebration ordained by God & passed down throughout Biblical history?

Otoh, I have a real tendency to overthink things which could really easily lead to legalism. I struggle w/ finding balance.

The Bible is very clear about how the Lord desires to be remembered in his death and that is through the Lord's supper.

I totally agree that Jesus wants us to remember his death by celebrating the Eucharist.

On Sunday. The day of his resurrection.

The early church called Sunday a "Little Pascha;" in English, "Little Easter."

To be absolutely honest, I find myself more than a little steamed by the repeated attempts by people to say my celebration of the Lord's resurrection is really a celebration that is pagan and undesirable, and downright offensive to the Lord.

As far as not celebrating extra-biblical things, how far are people who believe this willing to go? Do you celebrate your anniversary? Not in the bible. Do you celebrate graduation? Baccalaureate? Not in the bible. Do you celebrate any birthdays in your family? (I know JW's don't.) Do you celebrate 4th of July? And, on top of that, don't you think the disciples celebrated Jesus' resurrection that day? Perhaps not at first (Mark says they were afraid, at least the women were), but certainly later that day!!!!!!

I have no problem with people figuring out what they believe, living their convictions, etc. But DO NOT tell me that I am worshiping Eostre, Istar, or whatever the heck you want to call the diety that is supposed to be "honored" by my dyeing eggs, eating candy, or wearing new clothes. A symbol has meaning only if the person gives it meaning. Eggs, to my family, symbolize the Tomb. Candy is to represent the Sweetness of Christ. New clothes symbolize our new life in Christ. I am not one to ascribe Christian symbolism for every little thing, as was mentioned in a previous thread (although the candy cane really did represent the Bishop's crook), but some of the traditional Easter/Pascha symbols are not pagan symbols to us now, just as the Christmas tree is no longer pagan for us, and neither is the cross just a symbol of Roman persecution. New beliefs, new meaning to the symbols.

I don't usually feel so strongly about stuff on these boards, and I have stayed off these threads so far, but enough is enough.

Thank you, Spy Car, for your post.

Edited by Chris in VA

This is something I've wondered about in the last few yrs. I was raised to believe that taking communion was "the Lord's supper," but in rereading the passages from which this comes, it looks like "the Lord's supper" is Passover.

This is one of the things that perplexes me about Easter. Since Jesus (& his apostles) celebrated Passover, why would we invent something new to celebrate the same thing, something that has pagan roots instead of the celebration ordained by God & passed down throughout Biblical history?

Otoh, I have a real tendency to overthink things which could really easily lead to legalism. I struggle w/ finding balance.

The main thing to consider is what the Bible says about it. It is not legalistic to be obedient to God's word. Legalism is a term that is often misused in this way, but it actually refers to believing that keeping the law will save you. We know that nothing we do can save us and that it is Christ's finished work on the cross and His conquering death through the resurrection that is our hope. We obey Him because we love Him for saving us by His obedient, perfect, sinless life - not to earn our salvation. Obeying God because you love Him and desire to live a holy life is not legalism.

I said this in another thread, but will repeat it here. Just because Christians in the first few centuries celebrated Easter does not mean that God is pleased with it. That would not be a criterion for me on which to base my worship of God. Revelation 2 and 3 teach that six churches were already in need of a warning from the Lord as to their straying from the truth. Churches are filled with fallible humans who may, even sincerely out of a desire to worship the Lord, institute worship practices that God does not condone.

The main thing when you are wondering about whether or not to do anything is to ask yourself if the Scripture supports it and whether or not God would be pleased. Pray about it - He will answer you through His word.

Remember what Proverbs 14:12 says: There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Easter and Christmas are extremely emotionally charged issues. Many of us were raised in families that celebrated these holidays and they were always happy times in our lives. We may have been taught, as I was, that these are special Christian holidays and by celebrating them we feel closer to God and may even believe they are God-honoring. These are traditions we feel strongly about and because they do not involve harming anyone or anything, bring a kind of joy to our lives, and seem Biblical, we do not want to consider that they might actually be displeasing to the Lord.

We must be careful not to be ruled by our emotions or our traditions, but rather the written word of God. Pray for guidance from the Lord, read your Bible, search the Scriptures as the Bereans did and be willing to obey where ever He leads.

My thought?

If I believed as most Christians believe, Easter (or what-ever you want to call it) would be the highlight of my spiritual year.

I don't really understand the controversy.

Bill

Bill, are you not Christian? I always thought you were a Christian. Pardon me for asking. From my limited time here reading posts, your posts show that you are quite knowledgeable about Christianity.

And you are correct about Easter being the highlight of the liturgical year. According to the Roman Missal (Catholic), Easter is the greatest feast day of the year.

Louise

Edited by LMA
added info

I totally agree that Jesus wants us to remember his death by celebrating the Eucharist.

To be absolutely honest, I find myself more than a little steamed by the repeated attempts by people to say my celebration of the Lord's resurrection is really a celebration that is pagan and undesirable, and downright offensive to the Lord.

As far as not celebrating extra-biblical things, how far are people who believe this willing to go? Do you celebrate your anniversary? Not in the bible. Do you celebrate graduation? Baccalaureate? Not in the bible. Do you celebrate any birthdays in your family? (I know JW's don't.) Do you celebrate 4th of July? And, on top of that, don't you think the disciples celebrated Jesus' resurrection that day? Perhaps not at first (Mark says they were afraid, at least the women were), but certainly later that day!!!!!!

I have no problem with people figuring out what they believe, living their convictions, etc. But DO NOT tell me that I am worshiping Eostre, Istar, or whatever the heck you want to call the diety that is supposed to be "honored" by my dyeing eggs, eating candy, or wearing new clothes. A symbol has meaning only if the person gives it meaning. Eggs, to my family, symbolize the Tomb. Candy is to represent the Sweetness of Christ. New clothes symbolize our new life in Christ. I am not one to ascribe Christian symbolism for every little thing, as was mentioned in a previous thread (although the candy cane really did represent the Bishop's crook), but some of the traditional Easter/Pascha symbols are not pagan symbols to us now, just as the Christmas tree is no longer pagan for us, and neither is the cross just a symbol of Roman persecution. New beliefs, new meaning to the symbols.

I don't usually feel so strongly about stuff on these boards, and I have stayed off these threads so far, but enough is enough.

Hey, Chris, I think you posted while I was writing my reply to Aubrey. I hope you will forgive me if I am one who has irritated you. I do not mean to imply by saying, as I did in another thread, that since Easter has its roots in paganism, that anyone who celebrates it is worshiping Satan. Certainly not! I was merely trying to point out that this Spring celebration predates Christianity and began with pagan celebrations of fertility. When Christianity began to spread around the globe it was common practice for folks to mix their old traditions with their newfound faith in Christ. Just because they did that does not justify it. God continually warned the Jews not to mix truth with untruth and to keep themselves from the false religious practices of other nations.

When the OP posted this I meant to steer clear of a long explanation about my understanding of this holiday, but felt a need to clarify the term "legalism" to Aubrey. I felt free to express my viewpoint and do not wish to impose it on anyone else - only to ask others to truly consider what the Bible has to say about it. I think our main goal should be to please God and we can only do that if we study His word and do our best to obey it.

As far as whether I, or others like me, celebrate other holidays such as 4th of July or graduations or what-have-you, keep in mind that none of these holidays is remotely related to Christ. It is only when Christ is brought into the picture that I think we have to be very careful about what we choose to celebrate. I think God made it very clear that He wants us to remember Him until He comes by sharing in communion.

Obviously, everyone will have to search it out for themselves. I do think though, that there is room on these boards for everyone of us to feel free to express our own beliefs on the subject. As always, you are free to dismiss my views entirely and I will not be the least offended. My only desire is to point others to Christ.

In Him,

Edited by Kathleen in VA
took out an extra "the"

Jesus celebrated Hanukkah (John 10:22). This is a festival instituted in the Intertestamentary period. It is in the Apocrypha, which most Protestants don't consider to be Holy Writ. It didn't bother Jesus to participate in a religious celebration not explicitly authorized by Scripture, so why should it bother me, as long as there is some basis for the celebration? And nothing has a basis, if not Easter, or the Pascha. If Christ be not raised your faith is in vain. We don't do Lent, but I am content for other believers to do so as I can see the case for it, even though I don't find the case completely compelling. My children also get to carry around palm branches in church on Palm Sunday, even though Jesus never explicitly commanded us to continue that. But, God constantly calls on us to "remember". He places great importance on remembrance, and having church celebrations for our most important New Testament events seems wise, as it has to many generations of Christians. Sure it has and can be abused, but so can anything worthwhile.

Edited by Jugglin'5

Here's the thing. Celebrating anniversaries, etc. isn't Biblical or unbiblical. So...I figure as long as we're not sinning in the manner of celebration...they're fine.

Christmas has pagan roots. That makes me uncomfortable, but...this is an area where...I can't really give a completely logical defense of Christmas, but I *feel* a prompting by the spirit kind of thing--that it's important to embrace the magic, the child-like wonder of the season. I could be wrong, but I'm comfortable w/ that for now, kwim?

Halloween doesn't bother me--as far as kids dressing up...well, I think I have more fun making costumes than they do wearing them. It's the ONE time of year that I most feel like a child, that I"m most able to think like one & play w/ mine.

Easter bothers me. I feel ridiculous to be ok w/ Christmas & Halloween but not Easter. What a complete double standard! But...I LOVE Easter. The beautiful colors, the mystery of a treasure hunt--it's wonderful. So it's not that I have anything against the holiday itself. I mean, I like the traditions A LOT.

It's that on so many levels, it seems to be in conflict w/ Passover. From a liturgical standpoint, people observe Lent & think about their sins, etc. in a long, depressing way that seems like the opposite of the revelry of Passover. I guess I'm trying to say that we've developed a stoicism that I'm leary of. And a tendency to focus on ourselves (our sin) even in light of the resurrection. I don't mean that as an accusation at all, but as a reflective thinking-out-loud kind of question, aimed at myself, really.

Christmas doesn't replace a holiday that Jesus celebrated. There's no conflict. Halloween has nothing to do w/ the Bible, like birthdays have nothing to do w/ it. Easter, though. It seems to take something away from the intricate, incredible foreshadowing that God designed in Passover.

Otoh, it's really hard to *start* celebrating something new. Dh & I have been kind-of trying the last couple of yrs. W/out the cultural reminders, though--like big, beautiful pastel colors & easter eggs, etc. everywhere, we're just too flaky to follow through very well.

Anyway...I've been interrupted by a toddler one too many times to know if I was done or if I"ve made sense. Crossing my fingers & going to stir the soup.

Legalism is a term that is often misused in this way, but it actually refers to believing that keeping the law will save you.

I was raised in a family/denomination--because I"m never sure to what extent my experience was just my family & to what extent it was the denominational perspective--that tried to over-regulate. Everything. To the point that it's crushing, to the point that...I don't know, there's no grace, no joy. At least, not WITHIN the church. Plenty outside. So guess where the kids all went? Outside the church, to drugs, alcohol, etc. Except the ones like me, who stayed but had nightmares, lol.

There's something in me--I'd call it sin, honestly, because I think its root is pride--that tries to overthink, over regulate *everything.* If our bodies are the temples of God, then is it right to eat sugar, for ex. I'm not talking about gluttonous excess, but anything sweet. Ever. What purpose does playing serve? Eternally, I mean. If Paul says it's better not to marry, then what kind of weak-minded person would do THAT? These are the kinds of things I thought about *as a child.* Imagine if I still allowed that part of my brain to rule me! My kids would have an awfully hard time, & they'd flee from my parenting as fast as they could.

I won't embrace something that's wrong simply for the sake of avoiding what I described above, but when I do think something's wrong, I try to make sure that I've deemed it such *for the right reasons.*

Does that make better sense?

Thank you, Chris and Bill.

New beliefs, new meaning to the symbols.

I guess I look at it this way:

If God is sovereign and we are all made in His image and He has gifted the world with common grace, in some sense He can be found everywhere in all peoples... sometimes there is just a glimmer and sometimes it is like the rising sun. Are there some practices that should be ended once one becomes a Christian? Yes. Some practices clearly violate God's laws and principles. But not everything conceived in the hearts of men and created by his hands is unlawful... often the redeeming of the man is the redeeming of his practice and creation.

I honestly believe that the farther the followers of Christ moved, in time, away from his death, the farther they distanced themselves from his faith (Judaism). To gain more followers they had to embrace and transform the beliefs and rituals of those they came in contact with. A whole new set of celebrations were created to take the place of those which Jesus celebrated.

Christmas doesn't replace a holiday that Jesus celebrated. There's no conflict.

Hanukkah, the festival of Lights? I know there are at least a few church historians who think so. But even if not, it is not a case that the church just blindly adopted pagan customs. Rather, the church was reorienting the cycles and seasons of the year in a self-conscious way. So, if someone did prove that Christmas used to be Saturnalia or Yule, I would still say, "So what?" Those holidays have been conquered and claimed for Christ. A culture's calendar will be oriented by something. Secular holidays, pagan holidays, or Christian holidays -which shall it be? We know what some people would like it to be. Do we as a culture really want to give up Christmas to Festivus? For some people it is the one time of the year the are presented with the fact of the Incarnation. I'm not willing to give that up. And my children have never for a moment gotten pagan ideas from either of the major Christian holidays.

Edited by Jugglin'5

It's that on so many levels, it seems to be in conflict w/ Passover. From a liturgical standpoint, people observe Lent & think about their sins, etc. in a long, depressing way that seems like the opposite of the revelry of Passover. I guess I'm trying to say that we've developed a stoicism that I'm leary of. And a tendency to focus on ourselves (our sin) even in light of the resurrection. I don't mean that as an accusation at all, but as a reflective thinking-out-loud kind of question, aimed at myself, really.

Christmas doesn't replace a holiday that Jesus celebrated. There's no conflict. Halloween has nothing to do w/ the Bible, like birthdays have nothing to do w/ it. Easter, though. It seems to take something away from the intricate, incredible foreshadowing that God designed in Passover.

First, let me just say that I am thinking out loud here and my own religious beliefs are still in flux about a lot of things.

The main thing for me about Easter and Passover is that for the Jews (as I understand it), Passover was a remembrance/celebration of their greatest miracle as a people. For Christians, the Resurrection is the greatest miracle. So it makes sense that Christians would have a celebration that reflected that event more than the fleeing from Egypt.

(I'm not entirely sure this makes sense, and I hope it's not offensive.)

This is one of the things that perplexes me about Easter. Since Jesus (& his apostles) celebrated Passover, why would we invent something new to celebrate the same thing, something that has pagan roots instead of the celebration ordained by God & passed down throughout Biblical history?[/Quote]

This semester I've been taking a seminary church history class. We discussed early on the Easter conflict that the original poster referenced. The Apostles and early Christians did celebrate Christ's resurrection. The controversy (as I understand it) was whether to celebrate on the Sunday of Passover week or to celebrate it on the date of the resurrection like an anniversary. As a modern day example, do we celebrate Easter like Thanksgiving always on the 4th Thursday of November or do we celebrate it like Christmas which is always on December 25?

I like what Jenny says below:

I honestly believe that the farther the followers of Christ moved, in time, away from his death, the farther they distanced themselves from his faith (Judaism). To gain more followers they had to embrace and transform the beliefs and rituals of those they came in contact with. A whole new set of celebrations were created to take the place of those which Jesus celebrated.

As Christianity spread, beliefs would be compared and contrasted to the previously beliefs and traditions of new Christians in order to help them understand Christianity better as they did not have an association with the Passover and were biblically illiterate. At some point in the past, the traditions that we have come to associate with Easter made sense and formed a connecting point to believers. Unfortunately, these traditions for the most part don't make sense to me, and some others, anymore and seem to detract from rather than enhance the celebration of Christ's victory. However, I'm finding it difficult IRL to find other like-minded families with whom begin new traditions.

I agree with the first two sentences. We do it once a year because Jesus implemented it on the Passover as he's the greater lamb. The original commemoration was once per year so our commemoration is once per year.

I do believe the resurrection holds importance. The scriptures talking about it being key to the faith. But we were not told to celebrate it or to drag in pagan stuff.

Sunday, we will have the same Christian congregation meeting we have each Sunday. We followed Jesus' command to remember his death and it's value last night.

Oh, Easter is extra-Biblical in that it's not in the Bible. Also, the scriptures talk about true religion being over run by "weeds." Some of those "weeds" started trying to pop up during 1st century Christian times and quickly got out of hand as the first generation passed on. All sorts of things changed in Christianity between the end of the first century and through the ages. I don't think we can go based on some belief in the Xth century (unless it was the first). Sin and imperfection and "misleading" really got in the way.

I was raised in a family/denomination--because I"m never sure to what extent my experience was just my family & to what extent it was the denominational perspective--that tried to over-regulate. Everything. To the point that it's crushing, to the point that...I don't know, there's no grace, no joy. At least, not WITHIN the church. Plenty outside. So guess where the kids all went? Outside the church, to drugs, alcohol, etc. Except the ones like me, who stayed but had nightmares, lol.

There's something in me--I'd call it sin, honestly, because I think its root is pride--that tries to overthink, over regulate *everything.* If our bodies are the temples of God, then is it right to eat sugar, for ex. I'm not talking about gluttonous excess, but anything sweet. Ever. What purpose does playing serve? Eternally, I mean. If Paul says it's better not to marry, then what kind of weak-minded person would do THAT? These are the kinds of things I thought about *as a child.* Imagine if I still allowed that part of my brain to rule me! My kids would have an awfully hard time, & they'd flee from my parenting as fast as they could.

I won't embrace something that's wrong simply for the sake of avoiding what I described above, but when I do think something's wrong, I try to make sure that I've deemed it such *for the right reasons.*

Does that make better sense?

Yes, that does help to understand what you mean better. I think there is a place for the law in that it points us to Christ. It becomes increasingly clear as we try, try, try to keep it that we will always, always, ultimately fail. This causes us to feel hopeless and in need of rescuing. We cry out to God and He points us to His dear Son who lived the life of sinless perfection we could never live.

At this point, when we realize that Christ did for us what we could never have done for ourselves, we rejoice - and keep on rejoicing continually - recognizing that God saved us for Christ's sake. We miss the mark, but Christ did not. When we place our faith in Christ's work and not our own we are saved from the wages of sin - eternal death. As Soph said, "Hallelujah!"

I am saddened when I hear that churches twist the scripture in a way that makes folks constantly fearful that they are going to lose their salvation or that they have to keep the law in order to earn/keep their salvation. Again, our obedience should be motivated out of a heart full of gratitude - not out of fear.

I believe if a person truly is saved he will have a natural desire to please God and will want to find out what God wants by reading the Bible. Of course, we are all at different places on our walk. It's possible that I am being overly cautious about the whole Easter/Christmas thing but it is only out of a desire to obey God. I do not think Christians who celebrate those holidays are not saved - I've just come to a place in my own life where doing so would violate my own conscience.

Of course, since I was raised celebrating these holidays as Christian holidays, I went through my own period of prayer and Bible study concerning these things and this is where that effort has led me. I was emotionally tied to these joyous times of year and it was not easy for me, at first, to give them up. But the years have only solidified my conclusions about it all and this is just where I am.

In Him,

Edited by Kathleen in VA
took out repeated words

I believe if a person truly is saved he will have a natural desire to please God and will want to find out what God wants by reading the Bible. Of course, we are all at different places on our walk. It's possible that I am being overly cautious about the whole Easter/Christmas thing but it is only out of a desire to obey God. I do not think Christians who celebrate those holidays are not saved - I've just come to a place in my own life where doing so would violate my own conscience.

Paul addresses this...I can't remember where, I've been reading around instead of in order lately. But he talks about some people thinking foods are ok to eat & others not; some people wanting to honor certain days, others having a different perspective--"to them all days are holy."

He basically says they're both right. He says not to fight about it & to follow your conscience. The way I read that--if there's not one right answer about some things--then it must be because God's leading different people different directions. Why would he do that? I suspect it's to glorify himself. I can guess at how, but I"m not certain.

Does that apply to all foods or all holidays? Not necessarily, but I'm comfortable w/ different people coming to different conclusions & both feeling convicted.

My views have shifted on this over the years.

Basically, we like to enjoy the fun of it - the candy, the eggs, the gathering with family and feasting on ham (BLECH! LOL) and we look at it as a way for us to create enjoyable memories with our children, as well as strengthen family ties. We frankly could care less if it "started" as a pagan holiday. We aren't worshipping any goddesses at Easter...or likewise on Christmas we aren't worshipping our Christmas tree. There is nothing unclean in having an egg hunt...unless you use real hardboiled eggs and end up stepping on one...

We just don't make a big deal about it since every Sunday is when we corporately worship, remember and commune with Him in the ordinance of the Lord's Supper.To us, there are hills to die on and the *origins* of holidays are just not one of them.:001_smile:

Paul addresses this...I can't remember where, I've been reading around instead of in order lately. But he talks about some people thinking foods are ok to eat & others not; some people wanting to honor certain days, others having a different perspective--"to them all days are holy."

He basically says they're both right. He says not to fight about it & to follow your conscience. The way I read that--if there's not one right answer about some things--then it must be because God's leading different people different directions. Why would he do that? I suspect it's to glorify himself. I can guess at how, but I"m not certain.

Does that apply to all foods or all holidays? Not necessarily, but I'm comfortable w/ different people coming to different conclusions & both feeling convicted.

It's I Corinthians 10. And you are right - each man has to abide by his own conscience. We do have to be careful, though, not to let that degenerate into doing whatever we like altogether. People have done all sorts of abominable things through the centuries in the name of Christ and conscience. Lots of folks pick and choose what they want to obey or twist Scripture to suit their lifestyles. Only God can see a man's heart, though, so we must all just strive to keep beams out of our own eyes and not be so concerned with the speck in someone else's.

I see the problem coming in when a person believes that the issue at stake means the difference from someone being truly saved or not - such as believing in the virgin birth of Christ. Some people broaden that category to include things that perhaps should not be included, but I think it's possible they are doinng it out of a sincere desire to help others do the right thing.

I could not go so far as to say a person who celebrates these holidays is on his/her way to hell - just that I have come to the conclusion that since they are a mixture of pagan and Christian belief they should be avoided.

Most important is for everyone to dig into their Bibles themselves and pray wholeheartedly and with humility for an answer.

My pastor says that differences cannot be helped. None of us is perfect and we will not be until we are perfected in heaven. He has said these differences may be God's way of keeping power from becoming concentrated in one man's hands. He likens God allowing these differences to God's destruction of the tower of Babel. It keeps us all humble and dependent on Him.

My thoughts: (and sorry for posting and leaving; I had a Good Friday service to get to and wanted to post before I forgot)

Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, I don't really care on way or the other if Easter "came from" a pagan holiday. In my heart, I worship the Lord. No one can say that because I do something on a certain day, that I'm really doing something else. I realize that the only memorializing of the Lord's death is through communion, and we do that at my church monthly and on other special occasions. On Easter, we celebrate, worship, praise Him for his resurrection and gift of eternal life. I personally don't do the Easter bunny thing, never have with my kids, but if my dd wants to dye eggs, I let her. She's not worshiping anything by doing this; she's (in reality) making a mess in the kitchen!

I don't believe the celebration or not celebration of Easter has anything to do with our salvation; and I think that if believers want to get together, praise God, worship Him, sing songs to Him, then any reason to do that is a good reason.

Colossians 2:15-17

15When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him.

16Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day--

17things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

So, for me, it doesn't matter. I know some churches take Easter very seriously, and I have no problem with that. I know others acknowledge the day but don't make a huge issue of it, I have no problems with that. As long as we realize that our salvation doesn't depend on whether we celebrate Easter (or Christmas or any other day), we have freedom in Christ to acknowledge the day in a special way or simply acknowledge Christ's resurrection and our salvation in our daily lives as we strive to live in obedience to Him.

My pastor says that differences cannot be helped. None of us is perfect and we will not be until we are perfected in heaven. He has said these differences may be God's way of keeping power from becoming concentrated in one man's hands. He likens God allowing these differences to God's destruction of the tower of Babel. It keeps us all humble and dependent on Him.

Hmmmm...I'm not sure of the implication here that 'differences=imperfection.' That's just a teensy step away from 'differences=sin.'

I believe that God loves variety, and can and is glorified in a variety of ways, cultures, celebrations, holidays, etc. And the specifics of what is celebrated is not so key as the heart of the ones celebrating.

I see a definite shift between OT and NT in the way that commemorations are given to the people. The OT contains very, very specific instructions on celebrating Passover, down to defining the reason that it is to be remembered. Similarly, the levitical laws are very specific and detailed (if your bull steps into a hole on the sabbath...) The OT setting out of the celebrations, seasons, and laws was how God defined the culture of the Israelites.

The NT is a world away from that type of detailed instruction. We are walking along with Jesus (from the viewpoint of his disciples in the gospels), hearing him teach, and watching him interact with people. It's very narrative. In this narration, we find the commemorative supper that is taken during Passover. It's so rich with symbolism in the timing, no?

There are some 'do this, but don't do this' style passages relating to church organization which God preserved in the scriptures. But by and large, the NT deals with a heart relationship with God, through Christ as we walk in the power of the Holy Spirit. It's a message that was to be spread to every culture and in every language. The true church is going to look (culturally) very different in every country. It looks different from one house to another...that's the beauty of it. :) Christ is celebrated continuiously in a variety of ways.

I do agree that each man should honor his own conscience, and that we should not defraud one another for differing beliefs and convictions.

But I don't entirely get the whole deal about carefully regulating the origins of your celebrations if you are celebrating Christ alone.

If a pagan wore a red robe after bathing in honor of his diety way back in the day, is it wrong for me to wear a red robe after singing hymns in the shower? I'm much more concerned with the condition of my heart & why I am worshipping than with the incedentals of cultural traditions and frills.

I was reading last night and came across this. Thought it was pertinent to the discussion. It seems to me it is a matter of opinion - you decide what's comfortable for you. As long as you're honoring God with your decisions, it's your decision.

Colossions 2: 16-23

16Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. 18Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions. 19He has lost connection with the Head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.

20Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: 21"Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? 22These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. 23Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

I don't believe the celebration or not celebration of Easter has anything to do with our salvation; and I think that if believers want to get together, praise God, worship Him, sing songs to Him, then any reason to do that is a good reason.

Colossians 2:15-17

15When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him.

16Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day--

17things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

So, for me, it doesn't matter. I know some churches take Easter very seriously, and I have no problem with that. I know others acknowledge the day but don't make a huge issue of it, I have no problems with that. As long as we realize that our salvation doesn't depend on whether we celebrate Easter (or Christmas or any other day), we have freedom in Christ to acknowledge the day in a special way or simply acknowledge Christ's resurrection and our salvation in our daily lives as we strive to live in obedience to Him.

Great minds! Obviously I didn't read all replies before I posted!

I didn't know this. Thanks for the informative post.

The main thing to consider is what the Bible says about it. It is not legalistic to be obedient to God's word. Legalism is a term that is often misused in this way, but it actually refers to believing that keeping the law will save you. We know that nothing we do can save us and that it is Christ's finished work on the cross and His conquering death through the resurrection that is our hope. We obey Him because we love Him for saving us by His obedient, perfect, sinless life - not to earn our salvation. Obeying God because you love Him and desire to live a holy life is not legalism.

I said this in another thread, but will repeat it here. Just because Christians in the first few centuries celebrated Easter does not mean that God is pleased with it. That would not be a criterion for me on which to base my worship of God. Revelation 2 and 3 teach that six churches were already in need of a warning from the Lord as to their straying from the truth. Churches are filled with fallible humans who may, even sincerely out of a desire to worship the Lord, institute worship practices that God does not condone.

The main thing when you are wondering about whether or not to do anything is to ask yourself if the Scripture supports it and whether or not God would be pleased. Pray about it - He will answer you through His word.

Remember what Proverbs 14:12 says: There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

Easter and Christmas are extremely emotionally charged issues. Many of us were raised in families that celebrated these holidays and they were always happy times in our lives. We may have been taught, as I was, that these are special Christian holidays and by celebrating them we feel closer to God and may even believe they are God-honoring. These are traditions we feel strongly about and because they do not involve harming anyone or anything, bring a kind of joy to our lives, and seem Biblical, we do not want to consider that they might actually be displeasing to the Lord.

We must be careful not to be ruled by our emotions or our traditions, but rather the written word of God. Pray for guidance from the Lord, read your Bible, search the Scriptures as the Bereans did and be willing to obey where ever He leads.

:iagree:Bravo!

Jesus celebrated Hanukkah (John 10:22). This is a festival instituted in the Intertestamentary period. It is in the Apocrypha' date=' which most Protestants don't consider to be Holy Writ. It didn't bother Jesus to participate in a religious celebration not explicitly authorized by Scripture, so why should it bother me, as long as there is some basis for the celebration? And nothing has a basis, if not Easter, or the Pascha. If Christ be not raised your faith is in vain. We don't do Lent, but I am content for other believers to do so as I can see the case for it, even though I don't find the case completely compelling. My children also get to carry around palm braches in church on Palm Sunday, even though Jesus never explicitly commanded us to continue that. But, God constantly calls on us to "remember". He places great importance on remembrance, and having church celbartions for our most imporatnt new testamnet events seems wise, as it has to many generations of Christians. Sure it has and can be abused, but so can anything worthwhile.[/quote'] Another interesting read. Thanks.

:iagree: 1 Timothy 4:1; 2 Thess 2:3; Acts 20:30; 2 Pet. 2:1,3; Matt 13:25-30 Edited by Lovedtodeath

Same here. We did attend a local play "The Play" or "The Man Called Jesus" -- because it was showing this week. I would say we do pay more attention to it once a year on Resurrection Sunday, but it very much a part of our every day life.

We are not so strict about something being extra Biblical, though. Meaning, just because the Bible does not instruct us TO celebrate something does not mean it instructs us NOT to celebrate it. For example, we also celebrate birthdays in our family and Thanksgiving. We just aim to walk in a manner worthy of His calling in what we do.

Exodus 32:5 "There is a festival to YHWH tomorrow". Was YHWH pleased with that festival? Certainly not.

That is my reason for refraining from celebrating Easter.

Maybe the reason God was displeased was the fact they were making idols? And sacrificing to them? And giving them the credit for God's work? The people asked for "gods to go before them", completely rejecting the God who had already saved them.

Easter eggs and chocolate bunnies receive no credit for my salvation.

Exodus 32:5 "There is a festival to YHWH tomorrow". Was YHWH pleased with that festival? Certainly not.

That is my reason for refraining from celebrating Easter.

They had specifically become impatient, set up idols to take the place of God, and then tried to have a little "offering" to ease their consciences. I think it is really important to view something within its proper context.

I'm not suggesting you should do anything differently, I am merely showing that you and I approach scripture differently.

That is true, but it is also clear in Scripture that there are some things that would be sin for one but not sin for another -- for example eating meat that had been offered to idols.

That is true, but it is also clear in Scripture that there are some things that would be sin for one but not sin for another -- for example eating meat that had been offered to idols.

Dawn, could you cite the scripture so that I can research that? (I do remember what you are talking about in a general way, but I am too lazy to look it up. ;)

Dawn, could you cite the scripture so that I can research that? (I do remember what you are talking about in a general way, but I am too lazy to look it up. ;)

I have a few in mind:

1 Cor 8 & 10 and Romans 14:15-23

Col 2:16-23

PS -- Did you receive the poetry books? :)

Yes! I wrote to you in the poetry thread. I kept thinking I should send you a PM, but didn't... sometimes I am such a procrastinator. I love the Rod and Staff one, that was a good call. I haven't gotten DD interested in them yet... she is too busy with all of my new Ancients goodies from Amazon. I'll try to get her to choose some favorites so that we can get them back to you and get our own.

Guest Virginia Dawn
I was reading last night and came across this. Thought it was pertinent to the discussion. It seems to me it is a matter of opinion - you decide what's comfortable for you. As long as you're honoring God with your decisions, it's your decision.

Colossions 2: 16-23

16Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. 18Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions. 19He has lost connection with the Head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.

20Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: 21"Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? 22These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. 23Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.

Our small group has been doing and in depth study of Colossians. In context, this passage was referring to those who were trying to insist that Christians follow the extra-biblical rules and customs of Judaism. Paul was trying to say that those old customs had no power to save, only Christ does. So, Christians were not obligated to follow them. Similarly, I believe the new(ish) customs, not instituted by Christ, have no power to save. So we can take them or leave them. Unless, of course, they definitely oppose New Testament teaching.

This thread does seem to be about an issue that is big in the church today: Does the silence of scripture on certain matters give us liberty or prohibit us?

Those that say it prohibits us are often called "legalistic" and those who say it gives us liberty are often labelled "liberal." I believe that salvation issues are clear to spot in scripture. When it comes to non-salvation issues, conscience is usually the guide on both sides.

Yes! I wrote to you in the poetry thread. I kept thinking I should send you a PM, but didn't... sometimes I am such a procrastinator. I love the Rod and Staff one, that was a good call. I haven't gotten DD interested in them yet... she is too busy with all of my new Ancients goodies from Amazon. I'll try to get her to choose some favorites so that we can get them back to you and get our own.

:D Great -- thanks and enjoy. I am in no hurry for the books. :)

Jesus *did* institute something new: the celebration of the Eucharist. While the Passover looked forward to the Messiah, the Eucharist--the Lord's Supper--presented the physical body and blood of the Messiah. (Or, if you're not Catholic, at least the representation of the Messiah's body and blood). Whatever you choose to call it, Holy Communion does not have pagan roots.

We are constantly struggling with the issues of extra-Biblical holidays. It is encouraging (to our family) when those who do not celebrate post. It helps others who are leaning towards not celebrating.

It sometimes seems to me that those of us who make such decisions because of conscience and attempting to follow the Lord's leading in these matters are more subject to critisms than others. When I do share our family's convictions I am often not treated very kindly by other Christians, even though I am not telling them they should make the same decision. I try to be respectful of others beliefs, but I must say I have not beeen treated very respectfully when these issues arrise in conversation. I am glad to know there are other families out there who share our convictions.

Anyway, thank you.

We are constantly struggling with the issues of extra-Biblical holidays. It is encouraging (to our family) when those who do not celebrate post. It helps others who are leaning towards not celebrating.

It sometimes seems to me that those of us who make such decisions because of conscience and attempting to follow the Lord's leading in these matters are more subject to critisms than others. When I do share our family's convictions I am often not treated very kindly by other Christians, even though I am not telling them they should make the same decision. I try to be respectful of others beliefs, but I must say I have not beeen treated very respectfully when these issues arrise in conversation. I am glad to know there are other families out there who share our convictions.

Anyway, thank you.

Just for the record, I never criticize anyone for these sorts of convictions. For example, in our house church, there are some families who do nothing at Christmas, others who celebrate it solely as a Christ's birth, and then others who treat it as a fun day. There has never been disrespect shown to either party, though we do discuss where we all get our conviction on the issue from. I would say that I have received more criticism than I have doled out for the way we do Christmas from other Christians. (it is simply a fun day for us -- like a birthday).

So, you are not alone in being criticized for your convictions.