Menu

What is the Biblical meaning of Easter?

Jesus *did* institute something new: the celebration of the Eucharist. While the Passover looked forward to the Messiah, the Eucharist--the Lord's Supper--presented the physical body and blood of the Messiah. (Or, if you're not Catholic, at least the representation of the Messiah's body and blood). Whatever you choose to call it, Holy Communion does not have pagan roots.

:iagree:

This thread does seem to be about an issue that is big in the church today: Does the silence of scripture on certain matters give us liberty or prohibit us?

Those that say it prohibits us are often called "legalistic" and those who say it gives us liberty are often labelled "liberal." I believe that salvation issues are clear to spot in scripture. When it comes to non-salvation issues, conscience is usually the guide on both sides.

I agree that one should abide by their conscience in such matters.

Edited by Bess

My thought?

If I believed as most Christians believe, Easter (or what-ever you want to call it) would be the highlight of my spiritual year.

I don't really understand the controversy.

Bill

Bill, I'm with you! Easter IS the highlight of our church year. Our church celebrates with a church service in the morning and a huge festival in the afternoon with food, worship music, Greek & Jewish dancing, kids activities, etc. It's the highlight of my worship year. The resurrection of Jesus is the "proof" that the sacrifice for our sins was accepted, so we, too, can look forward to eternal life. So you're right. It's the most immense, most celebratory thing that has happened in history and we try to celebrate commensurately.

There are certain denominations that view it as faithful to not do anything that is not specifically prescribed in the New Testament. There are many others that that feel free to do whatever isn't proscribed. People are free to follow their consciences:

1Now accept the one who is weak in faith, but not for the purpose of passing judgment on his opinions.

2One person has faith that he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats vegetables only.

3The one who eats is not to regard with contempt the one who does not eat, and the one who does not eat is not to judge the one who eats, for God has accepted him.

4Who are you to judge the servant of another? To his own master he stands or falls; and he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

5One person regards one day above another, another regards every day alike Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind.

6He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God. Romans 14

So for me, it's a day of all-out joy and celebration. But others are convinced to celebrate it (or not) another way. There isn't one "Christian" way to do it. And that's okay.