Menu

Updated -- Surgery went great!

SeaConquest

I'm ridiculously excited for you!!!! There is nothing better in the world. Seriously, I think as far as life events, my kids being born is that was better and more exciting and fulfilling than my bariatric surgery. Marrying my DH is up there too, but I'm honestly not sure he's above the surgery, lol. (fine...he's tied with it.)

It gave me a "normal" life. Best wishes! And keep us updated!

And if you are on Facebook and looking for any new friends, let me know!

• Like 4

Feeling fantastic. Asked them if I could go home today, but the doctor still wants me to stay until tomorrow. Other than some soreness at my incision sites, I don't even feel like I had surgery. I'm drinking chicken broth, enjoying sugar free popsicles, and walking the halls of the unit with my IV. Haven't had any dilaudid since 11pm last night.

• Like 21

So happy for you! My only pain was from the gas they inflated me with from surgery. The rest was soreness, not pain, which is sounds like you are the same. I had to stay longer in the hospital just because my hiatal hernia repair had a bunch of swelling that basically shut off my esophagus....so needed IV fluids longer until that swelling went down so I could drink. But the bariatric portion was so much easier pain wise than I expected. Like pulled muscle pain, not c-section pain. And it will get better every day. 

If you need something to keep you occupied while recovering, these videos might be interesting to watch. Some of them are better than others. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFzA_3EwTi_mWjOmO4QMmFpMfpevZAi1y

• Like 1

Happy you're doing well post-op.  Enjoy that extra day in the hospital.  Better safe than sorry. :)

I had some pain from the gas immediately post-op....but that was it.

Watch out for dehydration....that's key in the first few days or so, but at least it's not summer (which makes it more difficult).

• Like 1

Happy you're doing well post-op.  Enjoy that extra day in the hospital.  Better safe than sorry. :)

I had some pain from the gas immediately post-op....but that was it.

Watch out for dehydration....that's key in the first few days or so, but at least it's not summer (which makes it more difficult).

So true! I always say I'd do the surgery again in a heartbeat, just not in June in Florida! Because of the hiatal hernia repair it was really hard for me to drink enough for several months....the heat was just too much to take while always a bit dehydrated. 

SaveSave

• Like 2

I seem to be lactose intolerant post surgery. Premier Protein did a number on my stomach. Ouch! Hopefully, it doesn't stay that way because cheese is life!

I'm doing ok. More mentally hard right now because I just want to get back to my normal life and it feels like everything is focused on food and staying hydrated. It's consuming my whole world, which I'm finding extremely boring.

Not really able to concentrate on too much else, though, so my school work just sits there. Went for several walks to try to distract my mind. It's really a mental game.

• Like 5

I seem to be lactose intolerant post surgery. Premier Protein did a number on my stomach. Ouch! Hopefully, it doesn't stay that way because cheese is life!

I'm doing ok. More mentally hard right now because I just want to get back to my normal life and it feels like everything is focused on food and staying hydrated. It's consuming my whole world, which I'm finding extremely boring.

Not really able to concentrate on too much else, though, so my school work just sits there. Went for several walks to try to distract my mind. It's really a mental game.

Hugs! I hear the lactose thing is really common. Muscle milk has ready to drink shakes that taste decent and are lactose free. Most stores have them. My husband drinks them. I also found that things were a bit...liquid...in the beginning because I was only taking in liquids. That did change later. 

And yes, in the beginning it is HARD!!! You are under a lot of physical and mental stress and your biggest coping mechanism, food, has been taken away cold turkey. Be kind to yourself, it really will get better. A year from now you will be able to kind of just forget about the surgery and feel normal, I promise. 

Hang in there!

• Like 1

Hugs! I hear the lactose thing is really common. Muscle milk has ready to drink shakes that taste decent and are lactose free. Most stores have them. My husband drinks them. I also found that things were a bit...liquid...in the beginning because I was only taking in liquids. That did change later.

And yes, in the beginning it is HARD!!! You are under a lot of physical and mental stress and your biggest coping mechanism, food, has been taken away cold turkey. Be kind to yourself, it really will get better. A year from now you will be able to kind of just forget about the surgery and feel normal, I promise.

Hang in there!

Thanks for the wise words. But, let's be clear. Food was never my biggest coping mechanism. It was wine!! ;)

Down 5 pounds this morning!

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 5

Thanks for the wise words. But, let's be clear. Food was never my biggest coping mechanism. It was wine!! ;)

Down 5 pounds this morning!

LOL, I was never much of a drinker due to heartburn issues, so I guess that's good for me? LOL. 

yay on the 5 pounds! Warning, you WILL gain some weight when you start real food...or at least most do. It's temporary, I think it's just the solid poop forming, lol. But a lot of people freak out when it happens. It's just a pound or so, but still. 

SaveSave

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One month post-RNY and I am down 17 lbs. I stalled for several weeks, but the scale recently started moving again. I hope to be in Onederland tomorrow morning. I am soooooo close! Met with my doctor today and I am cleared to lift weights and am off the mushy food. On to real life!

The best news is that my labs all came back better than what I used to see in my 20s. A1C is down to 5.2 and fasting insulin was 6! Pre-diabetes has been kicked to the curb! Even if I don't lose another pound, being free of the threat of diabetes makes it the best decision I have ever made.

• Like 15

• 4 weeks later...

I am less than two months post-op and down 25 lbs this morning. 192! Feeling great! Hope to be in the 180s by the time we go to Turks & Caicos at the end of the month. I am going to treat myself to a new bikini. :)

• Like 11

Congratulations!

Are you eating “normal†foods now or still soft foods?

Normal food, though I have to be careful not to eat too fast and to chew everything really well. It's crazy how fast we are used to eating. 

I basically eat Keto. Try to keep carbs as low as possible, but I don't track macros (never keep up with it). The good news is that it is super easy because the ghrelin has been removed from my stomach, so I am not hungry. I still get moody if I don't eat, so I make sure to eat something (mostly mini Babybel cheese) every few hours. 

Some foods I haven't tried yet because I am a bit nervous -- raw veggies, steak, stuff that might be hard to really chew up. But, otherwise, I am doing great. It's been easy peasy, and I would encourage others who might be thinking about it not to be scared. Go to a well-respected and experienced surgeon and you will likely be fine. 

Just need to finish up the last 8 weeks of school, so I can really hit the gym hard this summer. :)

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

you are inspiring me! I want to be in the 140s for my birthday on April 9th. I'm 152.1 right now :)  I can definitely do it, if I work my sleeve and stay out of the late night cookies, lol. Breastfeeding makes me hungry. 

Omg, I was ravenous while nursing. I feel you.

I am too scared of the infamous dumping syndrome to touch cookies (I don't know if I will get dumping syndrome, but I am too scared to find out). They kept passing cookies around during my doula training this weekend, and I wanted to strangle someone.

• 4 weeks later...

Had my 3-month appointment today (a little bit early -- my surgery was on 1/17/18), and I am down 33 lbs. From 217 to 184. 

Thankfully, I managed not to gain any weight while on vacation for 10 days, so that was a relief. The big news is that I bought (and wore!) a bikini while on vacay. First one in several years!

My [audacious] goals going forward:

170 by Memorial Day

150 by Labor Day

145 by my 44th bday on November 3rd

135 by my 1-year surgiversary on 1/17/19

But, honestly, just getting to 150 would be incredible (I was 140-150 during military service/college ).

• Like 5

I have to say, I am so impressed and happy for you.  As I head toward 50 and am finding it increasingly difficult to lose weight I am thinking about the surgery.  I am seriously overweight and have spent the last 10 years losing and gaining the same 40 lbs, over and over and over.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Amber in SJ

1 hour ago, Amber in SJ said:

I have to say, I am so impressed and happy for you.  As I head toward 50 and am finding it increasingly difficult to lose weight I am thinking about the surgery.  I am seriously overweight and have spent the last 10 years losing and gaining the same 40 lbs, over and over and over.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Amber in SJ

Do it! I wish I wouldn't have waited the six years himming and hawwing about it. Eventually, I just knew it wasn't going to get better on its own. I wish you the best in whatever you decide. I know how hard it is.

• Like 1